•  

He did not instruct them to play wet weather footy...that's  on him. That is direction from the top. We were great in the 1st quarter. Although we didn't put enough score on the board.  BUT when it started raining we didn't adjust and still handballed too much. We allowed them extras in defence a disn't play a stay at home forward. That is coaching. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

His post match will be interesting. He usually says nothing of any insight in his media conferences anyway, so I doubt this will be different. He has never inspired or impressed me when he talks. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Gipsy Danger said:

The last shot of him, on tv, in box with a couple of minutes to go, I swear he was just looking on his phone

Why not...i was

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Blame doesnt fall on Goody.

It lands on the 8 to 10 players that didnt even try today.

Coach cant make them want to play.

We have TWO injuries. Two. 

There are 6-8 players in the VFL who are in decent form. Yet Lewis, Melksham, Harmes and countless other poor performers who are not in form have not been dropped or replaced. 

We went in with 1 ruck again when Weids kicked 5 and had a good rucking game. Max had a stinker and we couldn’t get near it up forward yet we had no answers. 

It is on him that poor players are getting games. He has options he isn’t taking and frankly his match day tactics and selection of teams are worse than poor. 

13 minutes ago, Tony Tea said:

Anyone who says we were outcoached does not realise that our coach is Goodwin and their coach is Clarkson. Of course we were.

Agree with that.

Clarko is still the best going around!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Forest Demon said:

I definitely have my doubts, but won't jump the gun because of a game in the wet. We didn't handle the conditions at all.

Coaching for the conditions is what this game is all about. I worked the rotations for the Under 13 girls today for a  Coach with passion and vision. Our girls knew what they were doing and almost got over the line. They were stoked in the rooms after not getting over the line by a couple of points. How do you reckon Goody's boys felt and how did they they felt for him?

15 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Blame doesnt fall on Goody.

It lands on the 8 to 10 players that didnt even try today.

Coach cant make them want to play.

The coach should have a game plan that the bottom 8 should easily be able to follow. We don’t have functioning plan

3 minutes ago, Giles said:

Coaching for the conditions is what this game is all about. I worked the rotations for the Under 13 girls today for a  Coach with passion and vision. Our girls knew what they were doing and almost got over the line. They were stoked in the rooms after not getting over the line by a couple of points. How do you reckon Goody's boys felt and how did they they felt for him?

I understand that. Goodwin, and the side as a whole, were woeful.

But what I'm trying to say is at our stage, I'm more interested in judging our "Plan A", which I still have huge doubts about.

If I'm going to decide a young coach isn't up to it, it won't be because we failed to handle wet conditions, it will be because of our regular game plan.

I think all those bongs he smoked with Mark Ricciuto in the 90s have taken their toll on Goodwin's brain(probably Ricciuto's too).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

He did not instruct them to play wet weather footy...that's  on him. That is direction from the top. We were great in the 1st quarter. Although we didn't put enough score on the board.  BUT when it started raining we didn't adjust and still handballed too much. We allowed them extras in defence a disn't play a stay at home forward. That is coaching. 

Yes he did, he mentioned it in his pre match interview that they needed to play wet weather football.

Posted (edited)

I've been seriously concerned with Goodwin since last year. He may be a good coach on the track but on game day he is dumb as dog [censored]. It's the same crap every week. Each week there is always raised eyebrows at team selection for a start, then the constant bomb long and over handball rubbish we see every week, same as we saw last year. Then the failure to change it up when other teams get a run on, which also happened last year. We cant kid ourselves, we have beaten Brisbane and North FFS, and lost to undermanned Cats and Hawks. I can't stand him, hes a gambler with no clue. I'm over him. We just run around like headless chooks with no real plan, it's a real concern.

Edited by SFebey
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, grazman said:

Yes he did, he mentioned it in his pre match interview that they needed to play wet weather football.

Didn't mention it at half time?

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Jaded said:

We have TWO injuries. Two. 

There are 6-8 players in the VFL who are in decent form. Yet Lewis, Melksham, Harmes and countless other poor performers who are not in form have not been dropped or replaced. 

We went in with 1 ruck again when Weids kicked 5 and had a good rucking game. Max had a stinker and we couldn’t get near it up forward yet we had no answers. 

It is on him that poor players are getting games. He has options he isn’t taking and frankly his match day tactics and selection of teams are worse than poor. 

No Max pantsed McEvoy in the Ruck.  A second tall whether Weideman (1 good game in a row) or Pedo (still only playing half a game in the twos).  The problem was our smalls were either missing (Garlett and Fritsch before the final quarter) or were mediocre (Melksham), poor (Harmes) or a complete liability (Bugg).  

It also would have helped if we could get another onballer to assist Oliver.  We played really dumb footy.

Nitpicking I know, but we have four injuries.  vandenBerg I think would be handy as a bigger body.

Edited by grazman
  • Like 1

Would be a gutsy call to get rid of him mid season but his gameday management is very poor and we continually make the same mistakes and simple errors. If Heaven forbid if we lost 3 of the next 4 otherwise he is deep shizen.

2 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

Didn't mention it at half time?

Don't know I wasn't in the rooms, but the footage usually shows them talking to their line coaches.  I assume Ben Matthews as the midfield coach is under the most pressure, as the run ons sides get usually start and finish in the midfield. 

Get Goodwin the F out the door now!!

He has lost the playing group, and I'm not sitting though another 5 year rebuild so cut him now and find someone who can lead this group.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, grazman said:

No Max pantsed McEvoy in the Ruck.  A second tall whether Weideman (1 good game in a row) or Pedo (still only playing half a game in the twos).  The problem was our smalls were either missing (Garlett and Fritsch before the final quarter) or were mediocre (Melksham), poor (Harmes) or a complete liability (Bugg).  

It also would have helped if we could get another onballer to assist Oliver.  We played really dumb footy.

Nitpicking I know, but we have four injuries.  vandenBerg I think would be handy as a bigger body.

Gawn kept rucking straight to Hawthorn and had no influence around the ground. Hogan was killing it in the middle but we had to take him out because we had no forward target. Pedo or Weids change that. 

And god help us if Vanders being injured is our undoing. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The demons players were laughing to each other in the rooms before the game. I saw it as i couldnt go. The Hawks were looking very serious, their banner said "Game Face".  You can tell early if  the players arent "Geed" up enough.

If for no other reason this comes back to Goody, Ive backed him but Im off him now.

Edited by Franky_31

Goody can’t coach. We need to throw the kitchen sink at Clarkson

Allow me to reiterate an earlier post.

Posted April 1

On any match day, who sits in the box with Goodwin? (His name simply underlines irony every time I read it). Is Craig Jennings there? I was led to believe he had considerable footy smarts. How much input do the underlings actually have on game day? The senior coach looking gobsmacked when there's a run against  us is a real concern.

Just now, Jaded said:

Gawn kept rucking straight to Hawthorn and had no influence around the ground. Hogan was killing it in the middle but we had to take him out because we had no forward target. Pedo or Weids change that. 

And god help us if Vanders being injured is our undoing. 

Bit hard on Max his job is to get his hand on the ball, it's his midfielders job to get to the fall.  Oliver had 29 touches (25 contested) where were his mates?

God Help us if Pedo or Weids change the outcome.  We all know that the players that would have made a difference today are Jack and Tom who are both comfortably in our best 6-8 players.

We were soft and ineffectual around the ball with no clean users.  Hawthorn understandably have a better drilled team with a better system, but it was our lack of intensity after quarter time that was the killer.

Farrk. You are kidding me. Wake up call. That's all. For God's sake, get a grip you lot

• Like 3

Surely the players at this level should know how to play in the wet. They are supposed to be elite !!

Hawthorn showed the value of supporting each other and not allowing niceties to be the order of the day. I would suggest the Match review will be interesting , because it will show a lot of things that need remedial action . Having said that Breust, Gunstone etc handled the ball easily (because they were not pressured as much. Rioli proves that you do not have to have high clear possession stats to show you are effective.

• Like 1