•  
Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy....

6 hours ago, Skuit said:

I may sound somewhat unhinged, but this thread has aggravated me to an unusual degree - perhaps because I feel that this reaction is a symptom of the club as a whole over the past how many goddamned years.

The rash decision to sack Bailey was a mistake at the time - we may not have got to where we hoped with his game-plan but we were building and still in the hunt for the finals when his contract was abruptly terminated. Not to bring up old wounds . . . but now we will never know.

Some tweaks were obviously required but we bailed out entirely during a rebuild that had an element of gumption and it thrust us into the dark ages of which we've never recovered and still complain. The record will show that he helped guide all of Essendon, Port and Adelaide to a flag or nearabouts through attacking innovation - light-years years ahead of the pack.

I was a lurker here during the Neeld days, and many came to his defense - but if people can't see the difference between he and Goodwin then they have rocks in their upper-extremities. Goodwin isn't stupid and he's not relying on an outdated plan - he's attempting to separate us from the increasingly congested pack. Pull the plug now and we could just about say goodbye to the club.

We need solutions skuit, If these run ons happen in finals footy its game over my friend, you can't wrestle back scoreboard momentum in a final that a well known fact. 

I've identified what it could be it might be 1 of the 3, all 3 or none of the above but you can't tell me, nah she's all right we'll peg it back in a final it's all gd coz it never happens.

Toward the later stages of a season if you keep recovering huge deficits like we were last year, you fall in a heap coz you are mentally and physically spent.

You can't sit there and tell me we do not have a problem numbers don't lie gd team don't allow this. Goodwin has to find the correct balance because it is skewed too heavily in a attacking sense.

3 hours ago, old dee said:

For better or worse Skuit he will be our coach to at least the end of 2018, he is not hopeless like Neeld and he has a good management structure behind him now. 

However if we don't make eighth place this year it will be looking very grim.

It's fine for the supporters to crack the sads and call for heads. It's the board and managements job to see off those emotional calls and remain calm in the face of adversity. If Goodwin doesn't at the very least see out the end of 2019 I'll eat my hat.

11 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Successful teams have great teams, or 22 individuals who perform each week the best they can or better

Sov what's wrong with the culture at St Kilda and Carlton at the moment?

11 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I don’t give a dam about other sides

i want the MFC to have the best leaders in the country. 

You obviously don’t care

Saty has admitted he doesn't care about winning or losing. Hes in it just to hang around the players at training.

If that is what he is into fine, but hes in no position to come on here and lecture  posters who are passionate about the cub and want great success for it and who have every right to criticize the players and coaches.

• Angry 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's fine for the supporters to crack the sads and call for heads. It's the board and managements job to see off those emotional calls and remain calm in the face of adversity. If Goodwin doesn't at the very least see out the end of 2019 I'll eat my hat.

I think you are safe Dr not need to worry about what type of sauce you would need.

But beyond 2019 that is a very big call.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Saty has admitted he doesn't care about winning or losing. Hes in it just to hang around the players at training.

If that is what he is into fine, but hes in no position to come on here and lecture  posters who are passionate about the cub and want great success for it and who have every right to criticize the players and coaches.

You mean like you do, nothing added to the topic as per the norm, classic troll behaviour 

59 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Goodwin is the right Coach if he makes changes to the game plan and personnel and it works. 

We don't need wholesale changes, just tinkering to the game plan and bring in more pace and skill and effort in place of slow aging footballers, whose best is past them, hunger has gone  and unskilled players who will never improve. 

He seems to be experimenting quite a bit with setups / tactics which I like however he does seem to outsmart himself on occasions eg robbing Peter to pay Paul. 

Hopefully he is not overcomplicating things for the players sometimes the rigidity of game plan kills the creativity of players, this was a key piece that led to Richmond's improvement last year. Hardwick backed off a little bit and instead of killing his players with too much info he pulled back and allowed them to just play footy within a looser structural framework.

Goodwin is not Neeld, people really need to get over their PTSD from that debacle. All reports are Goodwin has a great rapport with the players nothing like the issues that existed under Neeld. He may not have the public personality of Hardwick or Thompson but neither do Beveridge or Clarkson.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

I don't buy this at all. Clarkson has changed his game plan 4 or 5 times both quickly and effectively. Beveridge went to the Dogs and the change was almost overnight.

Its just a poor excuse. 

Usually over a preseason though, it's harder to do so within season if you haven't trained for it.

2 hours ago, Big Carl said:

Culture is not everything but it is important. 

Everyone is just focusing on our list (potential) and assuming we are ready to play deep into a finals series.

If I had told you 12 months ago that Richmond's list would win them the 2017 premiership I would have been locked up!

It takes a lot more than just a list with potential and the culture at the club is important. Events over the last 4 months would suggest the players have got ahead of themselves.

I'll add @rjay into this

When a team finds a way to win regularly, they become hooked on it, like any drug, it's not a 'winning culture', they just want to repeat the high a win brings

It is a team with players who can consistently play at a high standard each week, every team has the same or similar processes and environment  in place to achieve this, but it doesn't always achieve the same outcome, the reason, the players

Agree the players got ahead of themselves, that's not culture, that's human nature

The media are more than responsible for all the surrounding hoo ha  'Collingwood are terrible, Buckley has to go' ' a great win in Adelaide, [censored] Buckley's a genius 

Next we will be told the executive of the CFMEU actually care about workers

Edited by Satyriconhome

Don't need to throw out the baby with the bath water. Bring in some pace and put a player back between their goal and the pack and that will be a good start.  

Also given it's the Tigers and looks like it will be wet again, don't go too tall.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 2

The Neeld comparisons are inane. 

Firstly, the players love Goodwin, secondly, under Neeld games were over at half-time, and thirdly, Goodwin has won 14 games from 26.  Neeld wouldn't have won that many in his career here. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Agree the players got ahead of themselves, that's not culture, that's human nature

Yes it is a culture. It has been the same for decades. 

Win a couple..Crash...Repeat....

• Like 1

I haven't looked it up, but for me culture means a uniform set of standards that encompasses behaviours, work ethic and attitudes.

How anyone can dismiss culture at a footy club full of young men is beyond me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

Goodwin , tbf , sould not be under the spotlight alone ;)

The whole leadership of the club should be all the time.

5 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Yes it is a culture. It has been the same for decades. 

Win a couple..Crash...Repeat....

What we are trying to do is create a narrative so there is a synergy between the coaches and players in order to create a culture that not only nurtures the players but enhances the opportunities for future success

We want to win games on a regulat basis

3 minutes ago, ProDee said:

I haven't looked it up, but for me culture means a uniform set of standards that encompasses behaviours, work ethic and attitudes.

How anyone can dismiss culture at a footy club full of young men is beyond me.

Culture means a word put in place so when everything is not going well they can improve it

We are talking about a group of young me whose dream is supposedly to play AFL footy, so up to them to put in the effort required on a regular basis

I’m just gonna put it out there, I don’t think Saty believes in culture. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

24 minutes ago, ProDee said:

The Neeld comparisons are inane. 

Firstly, the players love Goodwin, secondly, under Neeld games were over at half-time, and thirdly, Goodwin has won 14 games from 26.  Neeld wouldn't have won that many in his career here. 

Wouldnt be too many rookie coaches who have won better than 50% of their first 26 games.

I overreacted to this loss like a lot of people.  I support Goody!  We all knew there would be bumps along the way.  We are only four rounds in.  It will all come together.  

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

We want to win games on a regulat basis

And for the last 54 years the club has failed this area very badly. 

But you still say that a soft easy culture does not exist under the surface....

At the moment I am supporting Goody, although if we fail to make the 8 with this list then it’s a coaching issue and I will be far less emotionally involved with the club going forward.  It just too long hanging around outside the 8.

As for a major issue as I see it, the players get too happy with themselves and drink their own bath water.  This is real!  An example on the weekend close to quarter time, Hogan mocked the first gamer several times for ducking a contest.  The first gamer went onto playing a bettter game than Hogan. I’m sure Hawthorn used this example to motivate them at quarter time.  

This group have achieved NOTHING yet!  So cut the nonsense and get the job done before you crow about anything!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I’m just gonna put it out there, I don’t think Saty believes in culture. 

Whatever gave you that idea?

2 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Goodwin , tbf , sould not be under the spotlight alone ;)

2 hours ago, ProDee said:

You're quoting a different poster.

That said, what happened a decade ago under a different coach is irrelevant.

You need to judge this team from 2014 onwards where it was coming off a 2 win/54% base.

Yes shld hav been Wise.   Apologies.  I will be judging him personally this year on where this group is coming from last year Pro and his ability (or otherwise) to take his playing group to another level.

For me that next level is winning some games against rated opponents, including those where we are strong favourites going in and where expectations are strong that we will do well along with the occasional win where we are not expected to win eg; travelling interstate against a reasonable opponent.

Early days, which is why i am happy to reserve my view till mid season, but we are 0 - 2 vs rated opponents (both of whom we played at the G!) coming in against our next rated opponent on Anzac eve (again at the G where the GF, if we are to ever make one, will be played!).

Not expecting instant miracles, but the start hasn't been great this season.  He will need to start turning that ledger around against the Tiges to start building some cred and belief amongst the players that they (we) are heading upwards vs last season.  AND ensure we dont drop off another cliff against any opponent like we did in the 2nd half on Sunday for the remainder of the season.

Edited by Rusty Nails

1 hour ago, Petraccattack said:

Wouldnt be too many rookie coaches who have won better than 50% of their first 26 games.

I overreacted to this loss like a lot of people.  I support Goody!  We all knew there would be bumps along the way.  We are only four rounds in.  It will all come together.  

He's not a new coach, he's been there 3 years & under the eye of a Roos rebuild. He is not a new rookie coach like many are

Edited by SFebey
  • Like 3

Way too early to call it either way on Goodwin. The weekend was clearly unacceptable and I’d like to see us set up better behind the ball and be more efficient going forward. Calls for his head now are misguided and unless anything drastically changes such as mass player unrest/Clarkson wanting to coach us - Goody will be coach for the foreseeable future.

8 minutes ago, SFebey said:

He's not a new coach, he's been there 3 years under the eye of a Roos rebuild. He is not a new rookie coach like many are

Far from a rookie in reality.

• Like 4