Jump to content




  •  
DubDee

Hawks on Sunday - Predictions

Recommended Posts

On 11/04/2018 at 9:38 PM, Barney Rubble said:

you must be really old.

I was sitting over on the railway side with 2 rows of terraced seating. 

When Biff crunched him at the Grandstand end.

you know I never even remember if it made any difference to the score.?

Ah, the memories of a fit Ray Biffen at fullback! He really got amongst them, didn't he? I remember that one, too. Barry Bourke just hopped on the tram with Biff, so suddenly stopped was the game. No.26 (Hawks) was a phenomenal forward; good bloke, too. At first, I thought a reference was being made to Greg Parke, who also wore No.26. Coupla tough footy players in that lot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Impossible to predict this one 2 sides not yet hitting their straps both started against the Cats getting the ball in quick and high to expose the Cats defense. Hawks delivery was much better than ours.

If we get on top in the middle and get the ball in quick but either to space or a positive 1 on 1 we can lock it in and capitalise on forward pressure.

If our delivery inside 50m or on the quick break is poor they will win with their ball use and quicks catching us out on the rebound.

Clarko will look to isolate Roughie on Oscar. I dont expect all of Stratton Frawley Sicily and O'Brien down  back. O'Brien may play forward to prevent Lever zoning off on Gunstan and Roughie.

If they drop one of the tall defenders Mcevoy will try and drift forward to prevent Max doingthe same

It is a tough selection for a winner, the closer the game gets and with the teams now picked for some review and projection to the match itself.

I see this match as something that keeps repeating in my mind: a team of arrogance against a team with a hunger

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we win if we can hold Rouphy. He kicked   4 straight last time we met them.  However if the best  no 8   ruckman  in the league in Gawny gets on top of of McEnvoy it will go along way in winning. Lets hope. Go Deees!     8 is a lucky number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nasher said:

That's just an indisputable fact of nature isn't it? Tom Bugg only had one awful set shot miss last week, because on that occasion I forgot to remind those in the room watching with what a terrible set shot he was. I didn't make that mistake again.

Every single time a player is going for goal and I whinge to my dad that he’s a terrible set shot, he nails it. It really is Murphy’s law. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm confident we've finally surpassed the Hawks with a better 22 running out this weekend. 

The service from Gawn will be the difference this weekend and I'm hoping our 'secret' training run was aimed at maximising our F50 entries because it'll ultimately prove the difference this weekend.

We beat this mob and beat them handsomely, I reckon the footy public will really take notice.

Hopefully Razor gives us a little bit of lube pre game.

Dee's by 47 points.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Nasher said:

That's just an indisputable fact of nature isn't it? Tom Bugg only had one awful set shot miss last week, because on that occasion I forgot to remind those in the room watching with what a terrible set shot he was. I didn't make that mistake again.

By all the pagan deities of football, I swear it wasn't just you. There's something profound going on there. The one time, the ONE time I don't take a moment to mock Bugg for his terrible kicking, what happens? Uncanny, like deep down he knew the exact moment he had earned the let-off, so he knew he had to fluff the kick to keep his identity secure.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, McQueen said:

Hopefully Razor gives us a little bit of lube pre game.

God help us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/04/2018 at 8:23 PM, Go the Biff said:

Biff didn't crunch him. He was trailing behind Hudson who wasn't quick but was a bit too clever for our Biff. Bourke got him from the side in what might be classed a s a late spoil attempt. Bourke was running with the flight of the ball, clipped Huddo in the spoil attempt & Huddo's knee just buckled as he landed. Just shocking bad luck. The bloke was a freak. There's still plenty of footage of him about. Appeared to have no athletic gifts whatsoever but his use of his body to gain position and his judgement of the ball in flight I think are probably still unsurpassed.

 

You are correct. This does bring back memories. This was in front of us and I did not think Biffen collected him bit that Bourke had collided or tackled him rather clumsily and Hudson went down for the count.  He used to lead out and turn on his left I think and run behind his opponent collect the ball and drill it. He could kick straight as a die.

.tomorrow like the cats game plus or minus 15 points   Go Dees !!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2018 at 12:33 PM, nosoupforme said:

I think we win if we can hold Rouphy. He kicked   4 straight last time we met them.  However if the best  no 8   ruckman  in the league in Gawny gets on top of of McEnvoy it will go along way in winning. Lets hope. Go Deees!     8 is a lucky number.

I think we win if it stays wet.   The best contested ball team will win, in wet conditions.

 

Lets hope we're 'bad'n'hungry'.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hawthorn's first game was a near-walkover against a limp Collingwood. Their second was a hard-to-read game vs Geelong, where both sides seem to always play above themselves. Then last week RIchmond picked them apart.

You'd like to think we looked at what it was that Richmond did to move the ball through Hawthorn with ease. I've read Richmond's pace was important so we'll be in need of bit-players like Melksham and Kent to break some lines.

I think our forward line matches up well against most sides, especially Hawthorn (I don't rate their backline). But their forward line looks dangerous to me. If we don't properly respect their small forwards, I can see Rioli, Breust, Puopolo and Impey running riot and scoring those easy goals out the back.

If Gawn can get on top of McEvoy in the ruck that might be our most important advantage, though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 3:56 PM, McQueen said:

I'm confident we've finally surpassed the Hawks with a better 22 running out this weekend. 

The service from Gawn will be the difference this weekend and I'm hoping our 'secret' training run was aimed at maximising our F50 entries because it'll ultimately prove the difference this weekend.

We beat this mob and beat them handsomely, I reckon the footy public will really take notice.

Hopefully Razor gives us a little bit of lube pre game.

Dee's by 47 points.

Doubt anyone will take much notice of us until we make finals MQ

Not that I care either way.  Even If it's a win many will just say Hawks had an off day etc etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad we're playing Hawks not Ducks....tis a good day for Ducks !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, 640MD said:

You are correct. This does bring back memories. This was in front of us and I did not think Biffen collected him bit that Bourke had collided or tackled him rather clumsily and Hudson went down for the count. 

 

I find it hilarious that the presence of the Demonland poster has actually made people unconsciously spell Ray Biffin's name incorrectly.

That being said I wouldn't put it past Biff to try and pull something like that whilst on a bender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

I find it hilarious that the presence of the Demonland poster has actually made people unconsciously spell Ray Biffin's name incorrectly.

That being said I wouldn't put it past Biff to try and pull something like that whilst on a bender.

Nostalgia has a way of being forgiving CBF. 

When we look back at those late 60s and 70s years there was very little to cheer. Individual performances from Townsend, Groom, Hassa Mann, Dillon, Parke, Hardeman, Alves, Wells, Biff as both a back and forward, Tulip just to name a few, we're all we had to enjoy and hold on to. 

I wasn't there the day when Hudskn went down but l remember being bitter/sweet about it. He was such a capable player with so much skill at being able to find and protect the drop zone and then convert kicks into goals. 

There was bugger all coverage of MFC on TV in those days (and nothing earlier) so we are mostly left to our individual recollection of events. 

They were dark years, interrupted by magic moments. Still not quite sure whether l remember the Hudson incident for the right reasons but it sure commanded front page of The Sun (News Pictorial) the following Monday. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 10/04/2018 at 1:42 PM, Ethan Tremblay said:

Roughead to score the first goal via a free kick (that wasn’t there). 

I put a multi on this morning. Roughead to kick the first goal between the 1st and 2nd minutes of the game which is paying $50. I know there’s no such thing as a sure bet but this is. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure we are quite ready to penetrate #ClarkoFooty. They seem to be back to a well organised unit, we are slightly off speed.

Plus, with O'Meara and Mitchell added to the mix, they'll get their share of the footy.

I'm eternally pessimistic, but our efforts against #ClarkoFooty don't boost my optimism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Hot as Hell said:

I wasn't there the day when Hudskn went down but l remember being bitter/sweet about it. He was such a capable player with so much skill at being able to find and protect the drop zone and then convert kicks into goals. 

There was bugger all coverage of MFC on TV in those days (and nothing earlier) so we are mostly left to our individual recollection of events. 

They were dark years, interrupted by magic moments. Still not quite sure whether l remember the Hudson incident for the right reasons but it sure commanded front page of The Sun (News Pictorial) the following Monday. 

For some reason my brother and I were at Moorrabin with our next door neighbours (they were big Saints fans). People with radios were talking about Hudson's tally - 8 out of 9 at one stage - and then after Hudson went down it was all that anyone was talking about. Possibly because Hudson's previous game was the 1971 grand final, when Hawthorn beat StKilda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The key to today, and in fact our season, is the extent we can focus on and implement our game style and not let the opposition set the tone for how we play.

so rather than worry about stopping Mitchell and Roughy, let’s play to our many strengths and let the Hawks worry about us. 

Theres a mindset switch here we need to cross this year to have 100%  commitment, faith in and ability to implement our style irrespective of who we play for four quarters.

Cause once we can do that, we can beat anyone. Do it today and we crush Hawks. 

Go Dees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

The key to today, and in fact our season, is the extent we can focus on and implement our game style and not let the opposition set the tone for how we play.

so rather than worry about stopping Mitchell and Roughy, let’s play to our many strengths and let the Hawks worry about us. 

Theres a mindset switch here we need to cross this year to have 100%  commitment, faith in and ability to implement our style irrespective of who we play for four quarters.

Cause once we can do that, we can beat anyone. Do it today and we crush Hawks. 

Go Dees

Good point PRB

Let Whorethorn worry about us for a change. 

We can play great Power footy, the hurdle is to implement it for longer. 

We crucified Brisbane for about 40 minutes

Yesterday the Premiers did it for 4 Quarters...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dees  by a point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hot as Hell said:

Nostalgia has a way of being forgiving CBF. 

When we look back at those late 60s and 70s years there was very little to cheer. Individual performances from Townsend, Groom, Hassa Mann, Dillon, Parke, Hardeman, Alves, Wells, Biff as both a back and forward, Tulip just to name a few, we're all we had to enjoy and hold on to. 

I wasn't there the day when Hudskn went down but l remember being bitter/sweet about it. He was such a capable player with so much skill at being able to find and protect the drop zone and then convert kicks into goals. 

There was bugger all coverage of MFC on TV in those days (and nothing earlier) so we are mostly left to our individual recollection of events. 

They were dark years, interrupted by magic moments. Still not quite sure whether l remember the Hudson incident for the right reasons but it sure commanded front page of The Sun (News Pictorial) the following Monday. 

Absolutely spot on HaH.

And that was the time when money started spinning around the western world.

And lil' ol' Mfc was being strangled, whilst other clubs were making Hay. 

And the Sun began to shine in winter, more and more, all the way thru to the 80's-90's. Pre Pro footy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2018 at 10:08 PM, Barney Rubble said:

you must be really old.

I was sitting over on the railway side with 2 rows of terraced seating. 

When Biff crunched him at the Grandstand end.

you know I never even remember if it made any difference to the score.?

 I was there that day too. I swear it was at the Glenferrie Road end, and I swear it was barry Bourke who fell on Hudson's leg and 'rooned' him....

I also swear Hudson had kicked 26 goals up till then.....It seemed like it anyhow....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×