Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Hawks on Sunday - Predictions

DubDee

3 hours ago, Danelska said:

whilst people are potting umpires... does anyone actually RATE any of the umpiring fraternity, and if so who and why?

Andrew Mitchell.... he’s a family friend ??

However, while he obviously doesn’t have a favorite team, his entire immediate family follow the Hawks. Must be his brothers influence or something like that...

• Love 1

Melbourne to win by 60 n media will call it a new dawn only to collapse next week.

Lever to dominate at the back, petracca to announce himself n hogan beast mode.  

Sicily ducks n gets exposed as a ducker. 

Bugg to get a week for striking.

6 hours ago, pineapple dee said:

I went to a game at Glenferrie Oval, so many years ago. There was a # 26 there that day. He kicked 8 to half time then Biffin and Bourke fell on him. I will never forget that day or that # 26 ever. 

If we get # 26 again on Sunday perhaps Hogan can fall on him. That ought to do it.

you must be really old.

I was sitting over on the railway side with 2 rows of terraced seating. 

When Biff crunched him at the Grandstand end.

you know I never even remember if it made any difference to the score.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

you must be really old.

Did it matter, a win is a win, is a win.  Back in those days, dropping Hudson was a big win for a losing side.  Just a sincere pity about his knee though.

But I'd love to have vision of Ray Biffen rubbing mud-toothpaste into any Hawks faces.  They always looked so much better, when all muddied up.

• Like 1

Last time, with Gawn out, O’Brien took about 84 marks from kick ins or that get out kick between half back and half forward. (It was also a frustrating trend in all games with Gawn out). So hopefully that doesn’t happen again. 

I too, am worried about the cheapies out the back to their smalls. But that’s really my only main worry, along with Isaac Smith who’s the type that kills us. 

But it’s all upstairs. I watched round 1 with my Collingwood supporter mate, and they just didn’t take them on. Too much respect. This isn’t the Hawthorn we think of when we hear the word Hawthorn. They still have the footskills, but that’s their main weapon. They’re not as organised, they don’t have all those great leaders controlling the game, and they don’t bat deep through the middle. 

Just take them on. 

I’m going to predict we’ll lose because I’m a superstitious idiot that thinks if I say we’ll win, we’ll lose. 

Go us. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

I’m going to predict we’ll lose because I’m a superstitious idiot that thinks if I say we’ll win, we’ll lose. 

Go us. 

this is me!

i think we can win, i think we should win, but i think clarkson is a brilliant coach, mitchell is a gun, and roughead, smith, gunston and puopolo / cyril usually have a day out

they've still got a lot of very good players and have been playing good footy in patches this year...a bit like us

Edited by DemonAndrew
  • Like 1

This definitely looms as a potential “season defining” game (though I hate that term). We were so close against Geelong and the Hawks only just got across the line against them so it’s fair to say we are only similar levels. 

What was really pleasing last week was that it felt like an even team effort, we of course had the stand outs of Gawn, Hogan, Kent, and Bugg but everyone seemed to contribute in some way shape or form. 

Tom Mitchell is a key obviously and I think we should get Bernie to tag him for much of the game but Jager Bomb is starting to show his talent and rewarding their patience. Roughy always seems to tear us up but if we can minimise goals from others like Rioli and midfielders that could be where we win the game. 

Oliver had a less impactful game last week and still managed 2 goals and 20 disposals so if he and Petracca have big games that’ll be huge for us. 

I’m not predicting a winner but I feel this will be one decided by two goals or less. 

11 hours ago, Deestroy All said:

Last time, with Gawn out, O’Brien took about 84 marks from kick ins or that get out kick between half back and half forward. (It was also a frustrating trend in all games with Gawn out). So hopefully that doesn’t happen again. 

I remember this well, I was wondering who the hell he was.  According to many hawks supporters they were hoping that was his breakout game, but that was the only decent game he has ever played, before or since, so hopefully it stays that way.  As we all know we have a tendency to let average players play like superstars.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Was there as well. That #26 bloke was my kicking mentor when i was a wee lad. I was in two minds that day as I wanted to see my 'mate' go ok...but for us to win.

He went ok ( until he didn't..lol ) and the shenanigans of said fellows did little in the end to affect outcome :(

• Like 1

Impossible to predict this one 2 sides not yet hitting their straps both started against the Cats getting the ball in quick and high to expose the Cats defense. Hawks delivery was much better than ours.

If we get on top in the middle and get the ball in quick but either to space or a positive 1 on 1 we can lock it in and capitalise on forward pressure.

If our delivery inside 50m or on the quick break is poor they will win with their ball use and quicks catching us out on the rebound.

Clarko will look to isolate Roughie on Oscar. I dont expect all of Stratton Frawley Sicily and O'Brien down  back. O'Brien may play forward to prevent Lever zoning off on Gunstan and Roughie.

If they drop one of the tall defenders Mcevoy will try and drift forward to prevent Max doingthe same

I think we will win the clearances comfortably. 

If we get beaten it will be on the transition. 

Good test of the coaching team. 

Edited by Stretch Johnson

Pressure's on having nailed it last week. 

The team....cum si cum sa...hmm

Many are getting a little ahead of ourselves. We haven't clicked yet. Had moments...but not cohesive. Given Max's ascendency we ought to be creaming teams. We aren't. 

Lions...we stuttered stumbled fell on our feet and won.

North...funny game really. A reversal of fortuned really. In past we haven't found a way to win. Last week i sense the Roos found a way to lose and we kept them to it.

The Cats....funny lot... Don't dismiss. I have in past and they bite me..

All in all we're kinda ok without doing ANYTHING brilliant.

The Hawks are the Hawks. Well coached  , well trained and they CAN find ways to win where others fail.

My gut says this may well be the season's first draw.

I'm hoping we get the choccies. If so it's only a kick...it maybe 1 point...it may be 6... Might be 0 ;)

Not a game for any with heart conditions. 

Go Dees...go you GOOD Dees ;)

5 hours ago, Stretch Johnson said:

I think we will win the clearances comfortably. 

If we get beaten it will be on the transition. 

Good test of the coaching team. 

Hawks won the clearances 39-31 v Tiges last week, they`ll be no pushover

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

you must be really old.

Biff didn't crunch him. He was trailing behind Hudson who wasn't quick but was a bit too clever for our Biff. Bourke got him from the side in what might be classed a s a late spoil attempt. Bourke was running with the flight of the ball, clipped Huddo in the spoil attempt & Huddo's knee just buckled as he landed. Just shocking bad luck. The bloke was a freak. There's still plenty of footage of him about. Appeared to have no athletic gifts whatsoever but his use of his body to gain position and his judgement of the ball in flight I think are probably still unsurpassed.

Given the small size of Glenferrie Oval. Hudson would often dispatch the Sherrin into the parkland at the eastern end with his shots at goal. After Hudson had booted a number out of the oval, Crackers Keenan claims the snooker inspired line "that's got rid of all the reds, best we start on the coloureds"

Would be nice if our current #26 could channel a bit of the old Hawk #26. Especially against them

Edited by Go the Biff
sp
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hell Bent said:

Hawks won the clearances 39-31 v Tiges last week, they`ll be no pushover

And they will be HUNTING our mids this week, to topple our newfound mantle on contested footy.  the Hawks love a challenge, they NEED a challenge. its the fire that keeps therm alive.

It's what we need to adopt, and to lose the comfy front-runner syndrome we seem to enjoy whenever we become some sort of name in town__

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Go the Biff said:

Biff didn't crunch him. He was trailing behind Hudson who wasn't quick but was a bit too clever for our Biff. Bourke got him from the side in what might be classed a s a late spoil attempt. Bourke was running with the flight of the ball, clipped Huddo in the spoil attempt & Huddo's knee just buckled as he landed. Just shocking bad luck. The bloke was a freak. There's still plenty of footage of him about. Appeared to have no athletic gifts whatsoever but his use of his body to gain position and his judgement of the ball in flight I think are probably still unsurpassed.

Given the small size of Glenferrie Oval. Hudson would often dispatch the Sherrin into the parkland at the eastern end with his shots at goal. After Hudson had booted a number out of the oval, Crackers Keenan claims the snooker inspired line "that's got rid of all the reds, best we start on the coloureds"

Would be nice if our current #26 could channel a bit of the old Hawk #26. Especially against them

Yep, his judgement of the flight of the ball was far superior to others of the day. just uncanny compared to other AFL players of the time. A lot was sheer footy intelligence.  Added to honed judgement built on that.

He looked slow, moved out away from the square in anticipation of the footy, always defenders followed a distance behind, uncertain.

==============

Actually your line about his use of the body, how he would turn his body as he took the ball to protect the ball from defenders arm, just reminded me of Lockett's ability to do just that, almost the same.  Maybe Dunstall, a little as well.

Edited by DV8
  • Like 1

All between the ears.

I feel like we might come out in the proper 'hunting' mood where we lift for opponents we are inspired by.

Which is ok, since last week we didn't have the traditional lapse against an opponent we 'should' beat.

Hunt the best, professionally dispose of the others, that'd keep me happy.

Most important thing to see - a bit of steely determination to hold the line when things turn against us.

I do feel like we can win, which is nice.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

All between the ears.

I feel like we might come out in the proper 'hunting' mood where we lift for opponents we are inspired by.

Which is ok, since last week we didn't have the traditional lapse against an opponent we 'should' beat.

Hunt the best, professionally dispose of the others, that'd keep me happy.

Most important thing to see - a bit of steely determination to hold the line when things turn against us.

I do feel like we can win, which is nice.

Agreed that we should lift as this is a real challenge, and although the Hawks are not what they used to be, they are really a formidable opponent who has had the wood over us for years. Sure we won a game against them not long ago, but gees they’ve thrashed us too many times to count recently. 

If we actually play good footy for 4 quarters and don’t let them get a run on, I think we can win. But it’s been that long since we’ve played a complete game, I am far from confident. 

On 11/04/2018 at 12:42 PM, Nasher said:

My tip is severe negativity in the match day thread, with Clint Biz and Praha leading the charge.

Interesting

On 11/04/2018 at 12:57 PM, Nasher said:

I'm pretty confident I haven't read any new content on this site for years Choke, and I'm not even kidding.

I’m pretty confident you are right. 

This site is full of “media junkies” set to go into melt down mode over the next piece of media click bait. The media can be social media or AFL press media - many just don’t understand the internet ie click bait, fake news, google adwords, site indexing etc etc etc

On 11/04/2018 at 11:05 PM, Deestroy All said:

Go us. 

That's just an indisputable fact of nature isn't it? Tom Bugg only had one awful set shot miss last week, because on that occasion I forgot to remind those in the room watching with what a terrible set shot he was. I didn't make that mistake again.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 6