Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Coaches Box

Big Carl

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I don’t know why you can’t post this without the first sentence. 

Satys first line is a fair point though.

How can you analyise the coaches box without having specific knowledge?

Im.not against the discussion but there are a lot of dumb unrealistic opinions on here.

Not you personally @Ethan.

But one.day we have a no plan b. The next week it's criticism that we dont stixk.to.a game plan. Just stupid really

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, A F said:

I think this is a great post, mate, but I'd say we do implement a Plan B, which is moving the press deeper and playing an 8 man defence. What happens is, our pressure completely drops off, we fail to lay tackles and fumble the ball and/or bomb long to 2 on 1s. 

Good post AF although I have only selected one section to comment on.

The deep press is good but you need some really good break away players to pressure the opposition on the rebound. Not sure if we have that (those players).

I know a lot of people deride his skills and he is slowing down but the likes of Heath Shaw are fantastic at providing that brief run and deep kick out of defence that sets up the quick attack.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Unleash Hell said:

Satys first line is a fair point though.

How can you analyise the coaches box without having specific knowledge.

Im.not against the discussion but there are a lot of dumb unrealistic opinions on here.

Ok. So when you vote in an election, do you always go for the donkey vote?

Unless you have been an elected member of paliment you have no idea if someone is doing a good job or not. Therefore your opinion is not valid and you should go the donkey vote.

4 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

why not ... the style of game is there for everyone to see

Yes but the specific comments on coaching ability are unwarranted.

Understand the difference between discussion and ridiculous criticism

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BAMF said:

Ok. So when you vote in an election, do you always go for the donkey vote?

Unless you have been an elected member of paliment you have no idea if someone is doing a good job or not. Therefore your opinion is not valid and you should go the donkey vote.

See above re discussion and unwarranted criticism 

And yes most voters are idiots. Why do u think the media.is dumbed down

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would have thought the bigger problem here is one of leadership ... there is a need of leadership on the ground and I am comfortable with jones Lewis and Vince (sans Viney) but they all have to believe in the off field leaders .. the coaches.. do they?

i would feel shaky out there on the ground if I can feel the other team surging and nothing positive is coming off the bench other than criticism or bleating to get tougher... ideas... positive reactions ... positional changes etc

• Like 1

These days the coach does all the prep through the week . Rotations are pre planned, match up organised and contingency plans for injuries are all done. So what can the coaching box implement on match day? Instructions to players who don't follow team rules, stem the tide when the opposition gets a run on or come up with a stategy thet wasn't anticipated. I haven't liked Goodies team selection so far but on match day he is limited in what he can do. The good teams are controlled and managed onfield by the generals the leaders. At geelong Selwood barks the orders at hawthorn it was Hodge and look at how he is organising the backline in Brisbane. Sydney have so many leaders it isn't funny and last year Mitchell proved he is a coach in waiting in his stint at the eagles.

It took Scott 8 years at geelong to win a flag with a group of exceptional father and son picks. Trac and Clarrie lead our midfield but are not the generals yet. I have no idea how much coaching Jones does and I expect more from Lewis whose undisciplined play has actually hurt us. Maxie is new to leadership and leads by example but not tactically.

Yes Goody worries me but I can see ways around his inexperience and where we need to grow.

• Like 1

Goodwin and the assistants  did what they could possibly do. We won the game and with a leg in the air in the end. However lose and poor Goodwin is no good. To be 42 up 10 mins in the 3rd and to be level and in trouble 10 mins  into the 4th Q and to bounce away brilliantly and win by 26 points  is a credit to the players. Goodwin couldn't do much therefore the players picked themselves off the floor and finished it off brilliantly.

Well  done Dees  you are maturing.        PS  who ever!      Stop whinging we won.

• Like 2

Goodwin exercises excellent self control, remains calm and generally shoots me down with his aftermatch comments. Yesterday he was pleased how we set the game up early and responded under pressure later. On the other hand I got badly [censored] off with 20 minutes in the third quarter and stomped round the house like a bear with a sore head.

So one of us has a decent grip of the modern game and I suspect it’s not me.

I’d rather have a balanced general running the ship, not a hot head, he got us 12 wins last year and we could be 2/2 with a little luck this year.

Geelong v Hawthorn might tell us even more tomorrow.

I reckon we are going ok so far.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Dockett 32 said:

Goodwin exercises excellent self control, remains calm and generally shoots me down with his aftermatch comments. Yesterday he was pleased how we set the game up early and responded under pressure later. On the other hand I got badly [censored] off with 20 minutes in the third quarter and stomped round the house like a bear with a sore head.

So one of us has a decent grip of the modern game and I suspect it’s not me.

I’d rather have a balanced general running the ship, not a hot head, he got us 12 wins last year and we could be 2/2 with a little luck this year.

Geelong v Hawthorn might tell us even more tomorrow.

I reckon we are going ok so far.

Great post

I think it’s going to be a very even season this year and every goal counts - that’s part of why I was so pleased that Fritsch kicked that goal late

I think, in fairness to Goodwin, if not Viney then he certainly prepared the season with T Mac playing not just the role that Pedo is but also closer to goal

He’s had to adjust things on the fly - just as he had to do last year with the suspension / injury / cancer run of incident, and he’s fairly good at making changes 

What I don’t understand is why the messaging seems to take so long to get through - our players don’t seem to be able to work through a run-on from the oppo; i don’t know if this is a coaching or a leadership on field issue

When they flash to the box he always looks concerned which makes ME concerned or, as Dockett 32 pointed out, stomping around the house 

At the moment the coaching dept as a whole gets a pass mark, but really we should have made finals last year

Finals this year or they’re all going to be under massive pressure in 2019

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

They had a good win and the assistant made the comment that there really isn't much to do on match day as most of the planing is done during the week. I suspect he was being a little modest but it was an interesting comment nonetheless.

49 minutes ago, Older demon said:

These days the coach does all the prep through the week . Rotations are pre planned, match up organised and contingency plans for injuries are all done. So what can the coaching box implement on match day?

If you want to know if the coaches truly believe most of their work is done during the week & there is little to do on match day, watch what happens if you try to take their runner away.

There was talk of curtailing the runners this year but the coaches were up in arms & it didn't happen.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

Great post

I think it’s going to be a very even season this year and every goal counts - that’s part of why I was so pleased that Fritsch kicked that goal late

I think, in fairness to Goodwin, if not Viney then he certainly prepared the season with T Mac playing not just the role that Pedo is but also closer to goal

He’s had to adjust things on the fly - just as he had to do last year with the suspension / injury / cancer run of incident, and he’s fairly good at making changes 

What I don’t understand is why the messaging seems to take so long to get through - our players don’t seem to be able to work through a run-on from the oppo; i don’t know if this is a coaching or a leadership on field issue

When they flash to the box he always looks concerned which makes ME concerned or, as Dockett 32 pointed out, stomping around the house 

At the moment the coaching dept as a whole gets a pass mark, but really we should have made finals last year

Finals this year or they’re all going to be under massive pressure in 2019

Some good points, particularly the one about not having TMac at his disposal. Tmac up forward is critical from a structural point of view, in terms o fGoody's game plan. We reacted a bit better this weel with much fewer long bombs but clearly it is an importan part of our stategy and Tmac is central to it. 

I think a real issue is our on field leadership, which is no great shock as it has been for meany years.  The two most effective ways to stop a team with momentum is slowing the game up and keeping possession (the hawks under Clarkson are the best modern example of this) and scoring a golas against the run of play, which the best teams find a way to to do - and often it is the out and out start that hets it (think Gary Ablett at the Cats, or Dangerfield or more recently Martin).

I guess there is a third way. Combining the firts two. We don't seem to have the ability to take the pace out of the game and lack the real star who can will himself to change the course of a game - and then deliver. The first is about leadership and but the second is about having the right players.

The leadership option requires  a handful of players and outside of Viney i'm not convinced about our on field leadership (Jones makes too many bad decisions - like his choice to go wide to Melksahm from the corridor in the last when we desperately needed a forward entry). But i'm confident Trac, Oliver and Hogan have the star quality and Viney has the will power to chage the course of games in the next few years.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, binman said:

Some good points, particularly the one about not having TMac at his disposal. Tmac up forward is critical from a structural point of view, in terms o fGoody's game plan. We reacted a bit better this weel with much fewer long bombs but clearly it is an importan part of our stategy and Tmac is central to it. 

I think a real issue is our on field leadership, which is no great shock as it has been for meany years.  The two most effective ways to stop a team with momentum is slowing the game up and keeping possession (the hawks under Clarkson are the best modern example of this) and scoring a golas against the run of play, which the best teams find a way to to do - and often it is the out and out start that hets it (think Gary Ablett at the Cats, or Dangerfield or more recently Martin).

I guess there is a third way. Combining the firts two. We don't seem to have the ability to take the pace out of the game and lack the real star who can will himself to change the course of a game - and then deliver. The first is about leadership and but the second is about having the right players.

The leadership option requires  a handful of players and outside of Viney i'm not convinced about our on field leadership (Jones makes too many bad decisions - like his choice to go wide to Melksahm from the corridor in the last when we desperately needed a forward entry). But i'm confident Trac, Oliver and Hogan have the star quality and Viney has the will power to chage the course of games in the next few years.

I hope Trac, Oliver, Hogan, Viney, Gawn, TMac,  Hibberd represent a new leadership style that strengthens and takes our leadership to a new level . Also hope that ANB ,Stretch, Harms, Hunt, Brayshaw and others develop the same steel and smarts. They just have to take it.

As the curtain comes down on Vince and Lewis happy to have these blokes around to assist.

3 hours ago, pineapple dee said:

Hold the phone !! Didn't we put the brakes on Geelong in round one after they dominated us in the 2nd quarter. How did that happen?? Was their momentum only stopped by the half time siren ? I think the coaching staff are doing something right. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt. At times it will look terrible but I still trust them.

Thats where i was going, 'with the more attacking setups', as most teams seem to be trialing in some way.

Maybe the AFL have said to clubs,,, you guys play a more attacking footy style, or we will have to further reduce the rotations per game.

The ball is in your half.

Against the cats, it (the more attacking setups) didn't work well for us, and so we changed setups & halted them, but couldn't quite make the difference back up.

We are trialing many things atmo, whilst still trying to win the points; Salem, Lever, Wagner. 

Next year we will probably be without Lewis, and Jones, Garlett, etc will be another year older, as will Vince.

We have to develop the replacements now, to get them skilled up. I can see Pedo getting another one year contract, after this one.

I hope Lewis stays with the D's, & plays at Casey as a playing assistant coach, to help guide our young players close up.

8 minutes ago, DV8 said:

We are trialing many things atmo, whilst still trying to win the points; Salem, Lever, Wagner. 

Whilst posters argue that lever is been played out of position, I see it as a learning curve to be a complete player. 

All the great defenders need to be solid 1v1 so not to be exposed when isolated.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, jacey said:

Whilst posters argue that lever is been played out of position, I see it as a learning curve to be a complete player. 

All the great defenders need to be solid 1v1 so not to be exposed when isolated.

Yes, exactly, but also we need our players to be multi-skilled so we have the ability for a Plan 'B' or 'C'.

We are further off a grand final than some wish for. 

But this forming and teaching our players now, with Macca & others at the club is incredibly important for our future.

Willing to give them until mid season.

They've struggled in patches against quick teams. But they've still held their own for 6 of 8 quarters. 

Lets see how they go against Sydney, Hawthorn, teams that build their gameplan around the contested ball. 

Edited by praha
  • Like 2

Just typical of all the negative posters,  always going on  about how Goodwin has not been able the stop teams momentum, but just look at a few games over the weekend, port v Sydney for exp. port turned the momentum and put a huge pile of goals in a row, it's the modern game of the he last season and the first 2 rounds of this season many games have had huge momentum shifts that many teams can't stop the flow, how many games did we come back from being over 30 and winning or almost winning, that is something Goodwin is good at on match days and that is turning games around and having huge comebacks, I read many negative posters saying that teams coach's telling their players saying they are always  in the match against Melbourne because they are never out of the game, but at the same time teams coach's are telling their player, watch out for the demons because they are  always in the game and are capable of  making huge comebacks.

4 hours ago, BAMF said:

I dont know how he can post anything after the first sentaence.

He has never been an afl coach so by his own rules everything he said is invalid.

Everybody has an opinion, some think theirs is the only correct one, not me, I just post my opinion, don't demand anything, unlike some

The issue lies with the inexperience still within the playing group

I've listened to the coaches, the idea is to slow the game down to kill opposition momentum, not rocket science, it's whether the older heads can rein in the younger ones     a rush of goals adds to the panuc, making it harder for the coaches and leaders

4th qtr we managed it

The coach is in the box, not on the field

Doesn't help if a leader gives away a stupid free kick to allow the opposition to draw level

7 hours ago, McQueen said:

SAme as last year.

They struggle to make decisions to nullify opposition surges.

Goodwin looked stunned last night with nothing to put in place.

The major Problem with Goodwin is he is too proud to vear away from his attacking principals/philosophy and nulify attack surges against us. He is very stubborn our coach of ours. 

We have to find out in a hurry the best way to incorporate Jake Lever in our system and get the best out of him. Introducing and extra tall eg. Sam Frost will allow in my opinion the freedom to play his 3rd tall intercepting role he was know for with the crows.

At present he is playing as a 2nd tall and he is extremely uncomfortable executing his natural output in a game. second guessing his marking,spoiling and ball retention qualities in the process which dont shed light on his strengths.

we will get our arses handed to us by North if we dont restructure our backline with the addition of Sam Frost full stop.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, don't make me angry said:

Just typical of all the negative posters,  always going on  about how Goodwin has not been able the stop teams momentum, but just look at a few games over the weekend, port v Sydney for exp. port turned the momentum and put a huge pile of goals in a row, it's the modern game of the he last season and the first 2 rounds of this season many games have had huge momentum shifts that many teams can't stop the flow, how many games did we come back from being over 30 and winning or almost winning, that is something Goodwin is good at on match days and that is turning games around and having huge comebacks, I read many negative posters saying that teams coach's telling their players saying they are always  in the match against Melbourne because they are never out of the game, but at the same time teams coach's are telling their player, watch out for the demons because they are  always in the game and are capable of  making huge comebacks.

This is the longest sentence since Nelson Mandela's!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1