Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes v North Melbourne

I'm treating North like their a top 8 side and hoping the players do as well. I think the JLT created a false illusion that they'd be a bottom 2 side. They most certainly are not.

We came in way too arrogant and cocky last year against them and paid the ultimate prize. Had Hibberd kicked that goal with 2 mins left in Hobart, we would've been playing finals. We just can't afford to take this side for granted.

This isn't a danger game. It's a 50/50 game which North would be extremely confident of winning.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Agree. So if we lose the midfield battle again what flexibility do we have to cover someone like Brown?

They'll be backing our mids in to win the contested ball and clearances this time. If we're losing this I don't think having Frost in the team is going to make much of a difference and it is going to mean we have one less runner/mid in the side.

6 hours ago, Demon77 said:

It was mentioned that Salem only had 64% game time.

Did anyone pick up an issue with him? That was the lowest percentage on the team. He makes things happen when he gets the ball and that number seems low for a mid.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was suffering from what looked like a heavy head knock the week before.  The club said it was his neck but he wasn’t the same after it in Round 1.  If it was related to the head knock, it’s not unusual for a player to have a poor game the week later.

This is purely my own guess work.

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I'm treating North like their a top 8 side and hoping the players do as well. I think the JLT created a false illusion that they'd be a bottom 2 side. They most certainly are not.

We came in way too arrogant and cocky last year against them and paid the ultimate prize. Had Hibberd kicked that goal with 2 mins left in Hobart, we would've been playing finals. We just can't afford to take this side for granted.

This isn't a danger game. It's a 50/50 game which North would be extremely confident of winning.

Exactly.  Risking sounding like a [censored] here, but I reckon this game will have a finals like intensity about it early.  If not that intense, then guarantee it will be willing.  There was plenty of feeling in the games last year.

North will really fancy their chances and despite all the talk about hoodoos being meaningless, North and their supporters would like nothing more than extending it to give them another year of gloating.  On the other hand, we will really want to break this hoodoo to stop it being discussed, so both teams will be smashing into each other.  Hopeful of our class shows through like it did in the JLT.

Super nervous about this one, might just put a sneaky $20 on North 1-39 into Ben Brown kicking 4+ goals to ease the hurt if North win.  Can't see them winning without him kicking at least 4.

Would love to see Brayshaw get a run.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They'll be backing our mids in to win the contested ball and clearances this time. If we're losing this I don't think having Frost in the team is going to make much of a difference and it is going to mean we have one less runner/mid in the side.

That seems like a single plan that hasn't worked on the two previous occasions. North always seem to be a good contested marking side against us (which side doesn't). I think we need flexibility in defence and the air to get the ball to our runners. 

Last year's game at the G was a bitter hard-fought contest and there was no love lost. We lost the free kick count 21 to 10 because the umps were a disgrace.

We handballed ourselves out of it: 195 HBs to 178 kicks; they out-tackled us 94 to 78; and, we let them score 6g 7b in the opening qtr. They also had 85 marks to our 69 and like Geelong last week they controlled the ball for long periods.

Goodwin often says he doesn't look at history but us supporters know it too well and are far king sick of this mob beating us - AND us trying to play the same way to beat them.

And another thing, you can guarantee that Chris Scott will be speaking to Brad Scott about how to beat Melbourne. The Geelong game is the blueprint and that is how North plays us. Knowing that you would think Goodwin will set up different game plans to tackle it.

How we go will be a real eye opener as to whether Goodwin can really coach. There are really no excuses.

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

How long do we give Hunt on his current form slump? Everyone (me included) are very quick to look at Wagner to be dropped but Hunt's first two games have been shocking and certainly worse than Wagner.

I do wonder whether he's being played too defensively and not given license to see ball, get ball, and run.

Edited by Pates

PROBABLE

Brayshaw for Bugg

POSSIBLE

Hannan for Fritsch (if injured)

Weideman for Pedersen

Frost for Wagner

I really hope Salem gets going, as he is the bit of class we lack through the middle. He doesn't waste a kick. So he gets a reprieve

Edited by Forest Demon

1 minute ago, Pates said:

How long do we give Hunt on his current form slump? Everyone (me included) are very quick to look at Wagner to be dropped but Hunt's first two games have been shocking and certainly worse than Wagner.

I do wonder whether he's being played too defensively and not given license to see ball, get ball, and run.

Not a bad call. Hasn't looked himself so far.

4 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I'm treating North like their a top 8 side and hoping the players do as well.

Well I guess you should as they are 5th at the moment.

...I'm sure the players can read a ladder if they care to look.

2 hours ago, jnrmac said:

That seems like a single plan that hasn't worked on the two previous occasions. North always seem to be a good contested marking side against us (which side doesn't). I think we need flexibility in defence and the air to get the ball to our runners. 

Last year's game at the G was a bitter hard-fought contest and there was no love lost. We lost the free kick count 21 to 10 because the umps were a disgrace.

We handballed ourselves out of it: 195 HBs to 178 kicks; they out-tackled us 94 to 78; and, we let them score 6g 7b in the opening qtr. They also had 85 marks to our 69 and like Geelong last week they controlled the ball for long periods.

Goodwin often says he doesn't look at history but us supporters know it too well and are far king sick of this mob beating us - AND us trying to play the same way to beat them.

And another thing, you can guarantee that Chris Scott will be speaking to Brad Scott about how to beat Melbourne. The Geelong game is the blueprint and that is how North plays us. Knowing that you would think Goodwin will set up different game plans to tackle it.

How we go will be a real eye opener as to whether Goodwin can really coach. There are really no excuses.

North don’t have Ablett or Selwood, that was a key component of why Geelong won, combined with a poor performance from half of the Demons players. 

If Melbourne front up and play well, we win. If we are asleep for a quarter and have too many players not put in, we lose. North were near the bottom last year for a reason and haven’t recruited any superstars, we should win!

7 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I know this gets said a lot so obviously a lot of people agree with you. But I don't. I think he's played his best football for us in the back half. Every mistake he makes gets highlighted but all the good that he does seems to be ignored. I'm very comfortable with him playing as one of our seven defenders.

I hope your right La Dee but i just dont see it right now. Im starting to get really annoyed with his ill discipline and his unaccountable football its starting to become an all to familiar pattern.

Yes he's an organiser out their but he has to lift his output big time. Were playing for Premierships now not creating a nice little retirement home and getting him to 300 games.

1 hour ago, D4Life said:

North don’t have Ablett or Selwood, that was a key component of why Geelong won, combined with a poor performance from half of the Demons players. 

If Melbourne front up and play well, we win. If we are asleep for a quarter and have too many players not put in, we lose. North were near the bottom last year for a reason and haven’t recruited any superstars, we should win!

It's all very well to say that but they beat us twice last year. The Tassy game was a lottery with the wind but the MCG game they came to pressure us and it works against us. We handball the ball too much and with pressure it comes unstuck. We also aren't very good at running two ways - or at least we are sporadic in our efforts - and Norf know that.

While they don't have Dnagerwood and Ablett they have a bunch of handy muppets who beat us regularly. Higgins plays well against us as does Zeibell and Cunnington.

We should beat them but I said that last year as well.

• Like 1

Can't believe all this!

we are paying a fortune for a bloke who can't beat an opponent, so we want to drop someone so our super recruit can play as a permanent loose man. Great get! I said before he was recruited that he never had to play on a decent opponent at Adelaide, and I got rubbished. . Malthouse made exactly the same point three weeks ago. He has to learn to play on, and beat , an opponent . Funny thing, but that's what being a defender  entails!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

Why?

Just because you like him?

He is getting a bit of it but he's not influencing matches and we have too many players in the side who are just going and not influencing things.

There will be only minimal changes and there’s others that will be omitted before Harmes. My predictions aren’t based on me ‘liking’ players. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

No change

unless someone is not right. Eg Salem, Hunt 

Back the team in. The defence especially needs time to gel. Frost played in both north games last year so don’t get how he is a must inclusion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Win4theAges said:

I hope your right La Dee but i just dont see it right now. Im starting to get really annoyed with his ill discipline and his unaccountable football its starting to become an all to familiar pattern.

Yes he's an organiser out their but he has to lift his output big time. Were playing for Premierships now not creating a nice little retirement home and getting him to 300 games.

It was interesting hearing Jono Brown on radio today “raving”about Jordan’s game....I believe Jones also “lauded” him in his presser.  In the  eye of the  beholder” I guess ?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

It's all very well to say that but they beat us twice last year. The Tassy game was a lottery with the wind but the MCG game they came to pressure us and it works against us. We handball the ball too much and with pressure it comes unstuck. We also aren't very good at running two ways - or at least we are sporadic in our efforts - and Norf know that.

While they don't have Dnagerwood and Ablett they have a bunch of handy muppets who beat us regularly. Higgins plays well against us as does Zeibell and Cunnington.

We should beat them but I said that last year as well.

I knew someone would come back with they beat us twice last year. We got royally screwed at the “G” by the umpires, I recall Cunnington smashing Vince in the guts in front of the umpire & he got nothing, that was just typical of what happened. 

We play well and for four quarters we win, wins and percentage across the season are a good indicator of the difference in teams, and we won twice as many games and had a significantly better percentage last year, and I can’t see where they are better, we have Hogan and Petracca who have both stepped up significantly and even OMac.

Plus odds are we must eventually beat North!!

• Like 1

Out: Bugg, Wagner

In: Kent, Frost

I’d happily drop Lewis off at advanced hair and leave him there but he won’t get dropped. It’s a shame for Brayshaw that this bloke who’s knees turn to jelly under any pressure is taking his spot in the team  

Melksham is on thin ice too, but he’s more of a chance of snagging goals than Bugg. I’m more of a chance to kick a goal than Bugg and my legs don’t work. So Kent comes in, applies the pressure and aggro Bugg does, but also hits the scoreboard. 

Seen enough of Wagner. Enough to see he’s not better than Frost. They both clang it up and do silly [censored]. But Frost is bigger, stronger, faster and I like him flying around the G. Also just feels a better fit for North’s forward line. 

If these changes don’t happen it is unexceptable and I shall watch the game with a stern look on my face. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

I’d happily drop Lewis off at advanced hair and leave him there but he won’t get dropped. It’s a shame for Brayshaw that this bloke who’s knees turn to jelly under any pressure is taking his spot in the team  

Melksham is on thin ice too, but he’s more of a chance of snagging goals than Bugg. I’m more of a chance to kick a goal than Bugg and my legs don’t work. So Kent comes in, applies the pressure and aggro Bugg does, but also hits the scoreboard. 

Seen enough of Wagner. Enough to see he’s not better than Frost. They both clang it up and do silly [censored]. But Frost is bigger, stronger, faster and I like him flying around the G. Also just feels a better fit for North’s forward line. 

If these changes don’t happen it is unexceptable and I shall watch the game with a stern look on my face. 

Kent’s best is good, but I think he needs to do more than play a practice match against the newest VFL scratch team and kick 4. 2/3 good games should be a prerequisite!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

I think Hunt goes before Wagner 

• Like 1