Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Post Match Discussion - Round 1

Demonland

3 minutes ago, ProDee said:

You wouldn't know.

Well he wasn't voted by the other coaches as the hardest to coach against. Chris Scott was voted no. 1 and Goody lost again. Not evening up the numbers to make Tuohy accountable to stop the 2 on 1s in the last qtr is as easy as it gets when it comes to tactics. 

1 hour ago, Forest Demon said:

if you want a scapegoat, Jordan Lewis is mine. Bought in for his experience, makes a mental decison to gob off at the ump and give up a goal. I can excuse skill errors, but that really pisses me off. 

Yes but let’s face it a rubbish soft free to geelong. I would be hard pressed to not  feel aggrieved 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, the rolling fog said:

Goal or no goal the players were cooked in the 4th. Many struggled to run out the game

I think you'll find over history most sides tend to be struggling in the last quarter of the first game.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, dimmy said:

According to Channel 7 , we did not arrive on the ground, because they only showed Geelong ( sorry, Ablett and Selwood). Then when the game finished the throw was straight to the news or in the case of Foxtel to their "playpen" show.

Surely we can request a proper media coverage of MFC games. Last year at the 3 p.m. Sunday game Foxtel at least stayed on air for a post game summary.

Apart from that 2nd Quarter we were very competitive. Both sides made mistakes (i.e. Menzel's miss) but at least we did not get blown away when we were down. Players like Harmes and Wagner improved massively in the 2nd half.  Omac held the beast well today , but Lever seemed to lack the strength to compete against the bigger opponents. I thought Hibberd was a very good interceptor last year.

Hurry back TMac, Jack and Gus.

Oliver & Petracca are maturing ( Remember they were up against Selwood, Ablett ( a pretty handy combination . How come Kelly got under the radar of our WA Scout !!! Not once, but many times.

And at half time at the ground they showed an Ablett highlights package on the big screen.  

It was our home game! What the eff is that about?!?

They didn't even show the two occasions that he got pinged for holding the ball. 

• Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

Cut apart through the middle in the second and looked like we didn’t know how to move the ball into the forward line in the second half... we had so much footy that we just bombed into the forward line...

The backline was like warm butter and Lever’s hands were dipped in them. If anyone thinks we need to practice goal kicking you are betraying your footy knowledge. We have two weeks against poor teams to get less panicky and have some decent forward structure...

• Like 2

Gee the back line was poor.

I thought Lever was supposed to be an intercept marker?

Spent most if the game as a one on one full back and continuously got out bodied.

Hibberd also much quieter than usual.

1 minute ago, Robot Devil said:

And at half time at the ground they showed an Ablett highlights package on the big screen.  

It was our home game! What the eff is that about?!?

They didn't even show the two occasions that he got pinged for holding the ball. 

it was cos he'd had 20 odd disposals and dominated

home or away, it's generally the main stats gatherer that is highlighted on the big screen at half time

57 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

I know ANB kicked 2 goals but his turnovers were costly

His good work is far too often offset by a massive decision making brain snap or two Chook.  Had one of these in one of the JLTs also.  We seem to have a few players sprinkled throughout the team every season who just can't quite get a 4 quarter effort in without offsetting their work with crucial muck ups.  Wouldn't be too bad if he manages to impact same matches in a big way.  Will be interesting to see how he goes with iliminating the brain snaps as the season progresses.

Cant question his effort and really loved the around the corner goal from the pocket/flank today!

2 minutes ago, loges said:

I think you'll find over history most sides tend to be struggling in the last quarter of the first game.

No argument there. Geelong were down two on the bench however, and were forced to keep spent players on field. We should have been able to out run them and were found wanting 

Yeah look, yeah.

Gawn's miss is not what I'm taking out of it.

Last year, the reason why we didn't make finals was because of our 1 quarter fade-outs.

What I'm taking out of today, is that we haven't fixed it, and that's what makes this day overwhelming negative.

"But we showed fight" I hear you say.

Last year, we always showed fight. It's an admirable trait. Did we make finals last year? No, so it's not enough. Today, regardless of whether we won or lost (i.e. of whether Gawn kicked straight at the end or not), the key thing to take out of today's performance was that 2nd quarter fade-out, and it's symbolism of a lack of growth in the key area that would take us to finals; consistency.

And it was infuriating.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

His good work is far too often offset by a massive decision making brain snap or two Chook.  Had one of these in one of the JLTs also.  We seem to have a few players sprinkled throughout the team every season who just can't quite get a 4 quarter effort in without offsetting their work with crucial muck ups.  Wouldn't be too bad if he manages to impact same matches in a big way.  Will be interesting to see how he goes with iliminating the brain snaps as the season progresses.

Cant question his effort and really loved the around the corner goal from the pocket/flank today!

I think in the midfield, Jones, Oliver, Trac and Viney are the only natural footballers. The rest are good runners and athletes but don’t have much footy smarts.

1 minute ago, the rolling fog said:

No argument there. Geelong were down two on the bench however, and were forced to keep spent players on field. We should have been able to out run them and were found wanting 

Well I thought we were outrunning them, it was our execution that was the problem.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Poor selections and not having the gonads to force players to go on this camp 

Goodwin didn't have the gonads?  Soon as the PA were involved his hands were tied.  He had gonads to stick fat with it, saying it was a lost opportunity.  The camp is an indictment on the whole club.  No physio/Dr or anyone else with common-sense on camp one to stop Tyson running 2 more hours with a dislocated knee cap!  Absolute stupidity.  Like the tail wagging the dog where Viney was rushed back after plantar-fascia surgery.  Self-inflicted stupidity.

Anyway, I have aired my views on the camp and Viney injury management.  Back to Goody.

The plus? Goodwin did well with the +1 to stop their scoring in the 3rd. 

The minus?  But we didn't need the +1 in the last 10 when the game was there to be won.

I've watch the Gawn mark/missed goal about 100 times now. You cant blame him for losing the game, the second quarter had done us. I went of mytits and took off all my clothes in what was probably the greatest clutch mark ive ever seen. Even though he missed the goal it wAS STIL ONE OF THE RGEATEST ruckman perfomances ive ever seeen. holy shitm waht a game. im not drunk shhh.

Edited by Drunkn167
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, picket fence said:

1 We traded our best ball User Watts and got?? And we are still paying part of his Salary

2 The Cancelled camp tells me and plenty  AND those in the footy world that we are SOFT

3 None selections of Frost, Tyson and Gus baffling

4 Goodwin has no idea how to counter run and spread

5 We still make unforced skill errors

6 I don't blame Max at all as wehade numerous chances to win it BUT having said that a senior player from 20 out should have nailed it! Watts Would have!

7 We still have a hell of a lot to learn.

8 TYPICAL BLOODY MELBOURNE FC

I hear you, and not looking for a fight, but I don’t think Watts would have marked it in the first place picket.

1 hour ago, praha said:

Because he was directly in front, 25 meters out.

Just as players often hand off to a long raking kicker (what the heck does that term mean anyway!!) from paint of 50, we should think about doing same for a ruckman from 25ish (or less!) wherever possible.  Especially with a clutch kick like that.

It amazes me how me, the novice supporter in me can see Geelong's game plan to always pass, kick, tap (throw!) out to space to allow a runner come through to carry the ball. We continue with this handballing in tight - which Geelong never do - and we get caught. I thought last year we would've learnt to keep a man down (not go up for the marking contest) and always have someone at the front of the pack for the crumb - but no, we still don't do this and that is a real frustration that teams continue to have a player at the ball drop in front to carry the ball.  And our crap kicking skills to position too - too many high floaters. Disappointing that we haven't fixed this in the off season.  Will be disappointed for another hour or so, and then move on. Ugh!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Wagner did OK in the second half. 

Maynard needs to be gone

Needed Bradshaw and Tyson getting the hard ball, even if they spray it occasionally. 

OMac did ok in the last half

Harmes just seemed to appear in the second half, was huge in the third. 

Harmes was immense in the 3rd quarter top game by him today. Hogan had a nearly game should've played deeper forward more often I thought 

• Like 2

In hindsight, if we aren’t playing Tyson and Salem is just ok, we could’ve had Josh Kelly.

• Like 1

Went to the game today and left both shattered and optimistic.  Weird feeling and one that's hard to describe.

Obviously, we played rather poorly in patches.  Poor defending, poor support for each other and our backline was left exposed by our inability to put some pressure on their midfield, especially during the second term.  Our back line players didn't have a good day out either which hurt.  At one stage they had something like 28 inside 50s and had 22 scoring shots from those.  We had 10 more and a few scoring shots less.  It was proof that we had no problem getting it forward, it was our decision making and execution that was letting us down.

Also, our composure was a little disappointing as well.  Melksham fluffed an easy chance, while I thought Trac rushed his shot at goal in the last and could have done better.  Our high half forwards were poor in the first half and had little influence on the game.  It hurt our usage going forward and we looked lost.

And then the second half happened.  While it's fair that they did miss some easy shots, they only kicked two goals in the second half.  Our back line tightened up, we got back to supporting each other at the contest and our high half forwards started influencing the game.  We looked terrific and, really, we should have stole the game at the end.

Petracca was fantastic, Oliver looks set for another big year and Gawny was immense, miss aside.  I thought Jones played well, Harmes had a great second half and our back line lifted.

But then, I felt as though we didn't have a huge amount of influential players, yet here we were, a few metres away from winning this game of footy.  This loss hasn't dampened my enthusiasm and optimism for the season ahead and I think we're well placed for a tilt at finals footy.  We have things to work on, but they're fixable.

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 8