Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sam Weideman

Pates

5 minutes ago, MSFebey said:

image.png.fa05ff583f90fbd73f6b4fe808e40b2b.png

Im no math wizard but a quick look over that list says Weideman has the highest goal average in the VFL.

The doubters will say 'yeah but 7 of them were against the worst side in the comp'.

To them I say - yeah, and every other player on that list has likely played against that same team too, and Weid may also be the youngest of them all.

Get him in this week.

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bobby1554 said:

I mentioned in another thread that my information is that, at this stage, he will be seeking a trade at end of year. He is not happy with the limited opportunities he has had, citing that he gets the chop very easily whilst others seem to get different treatment. I suppose 15 games in 3 years would tend to back that up. At this stage, I really do not know what to make of him as he has not had a decent stint in the ones to settle in to a role. But I would suggest that if he is not selected this week, he is gone.

This is, or should be, Sam’s big opportunity and if he grasps it he has a huge future.

He reads the ball well, marks it at the top of his flight, and is an excellent kick at goal.  Also can give a good team handball.

Hope he gets the gig and proves the critics wrong.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bobby1554 said:

I mentioned in another thread that my information is that, at this stage, he will be seeking a trade at end of year. He is not happy with the limited opportunities he has had, citing that he gets the chop very easily whilst others seem to get different treatment. I suppose 15 games in 3 years would tend to back that up. At this stage, I really do not know what to make of him as he has not had a decent stint in the ones to settle in to a role. But I would suggest that if he is not selected this week, he is gone.

If selected, this is the perfect opportunity for the Weid to make his mark. Two pedestrian games in R22 &23 will hurt his case. Heard Max say on the radio this morning that he thought Weid would get a call up. Time for him to step up.  

• Like 2

The way I see it, we have a choice.

Approach the last two games with the old (Ped) - who comes with some risk, as not all of us are convinced that he has what is needed, or that he'll even be here next year. Has he lit things up when he's played this year? I have liked Ped in the past, but I'd argue that he hasn't, or at least hasn't to the extent that contemplating the second option is out of the question, which leads me to option 2...

Approach the last two games with the new (Weid) - who also comes with some risk, but his VFL form is decent enough to warrant a go (although admittedly not Earth-shattering). Look, 2 goals would be a great outcome. Hogan has kicked 47 goals in 20 rounds this year, almost all of them against bottom-feeders (I like Hoges, for the record). I'd gladly take 2 against the Eagles. The kid needs to add mass, but he has good hands, reads the ball well and is a good kick.

So, we either go with what we know (but have not been impressed with this year), and miss an opportunity to develop talent. Or look to the future. If we don't play the Weid, we just won't know. If we do, and we make the finals, we will have a kid with some confidence, and options for the future. Adding Kent, Melksham etc. will add goals/goal contributions anyway.

Option 2 for me. 

Edited by RedButMostlyBlue
  • Like 6

40 minutes ago, monoccular said:

This is, or should be, Sam’s big opportunity and if he grasps it he has a huge future.

He reads the ball well, marks it at the top of his flight, and is an excellent kick at goal.  Also can give a good team handball.

Hope he gets the gig and proves the critics wrong.

If he plays against the weagles and proves me wrong we will win this game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MudDogs Gawn Win.. someday said:

Can’t wait to see him come in. Handball 3 opportunities inside 50 to incoming traffic. Kick 0.3 and drop more than half his marks. But stay in the team because he laid 6 tackles..

If we win by 2 points, I’ll take that.

• Like 3

Look at the positives.... this could be the making of a career for the Weed if he comes in. 

Its strange had little faith against the swans, feel very confident against WCE. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GCDee said:

Look at the positives.... this could be the making of a career for the Weed if he comes in. 

Its strange had little faith against the swans, feel very confident against WCE. 

Gods knows why we have beaten them once in 17 outings in Perth. 

Think we're praying for a miracle no matter who plays the next 2 weeks. Think Hibberd and Melksham will compensate for Hogan though.

• Like 1

For mine the sheer idea we need to consider Weed at this make/break juncture just highlights our limited fwd structure options. 

Any which way people are purely guessing anyone is capable of slotting in up fwd and doing anything of note.

I don't think the Weed is really ready for this. Id consider Pedersen a much better option...but he's been playing down back. That said I'm not convinced he'd suddenly forget how to play the fwd arc.

If the weed wants to try fresh fields... sayonara and best of luck. No real loss in my book.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, old dee said:

Gods knows why we have beaten them once in 17 outings in Perth. 

To be fair.... from 07 until the Roos era we were a complete rabble... anyone would beat us anywhere 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, johndemonic said:

My question is. What if they're comfortable giving Tom Barass a go on TMAC, and throwing Jeremy McGovern on Weideman? We'd be absolutely [censored].

Then Weide would probably play as the decoy forward, again.  Weide is a good long kick, he can lead out wide if he wants.  Getting separation on the defenders.

If he gets his shot, which I feel like he will, he should be instructed to run all day. He can't just be a roaming stay at home forward, he needs to be mobile and try to run his defender into the ground. Hard work and application has seemed to be his biggest fault in the past, we can't afford laziness at this time.

57 minutes ago, johndemonic said:

My question is. What if they're comfortable giving Tom Barass a go on TMAC, and throwing Jeremy McGovern on Weideman? We'd be absolutely [censored].

Then its up to T. Mac to make them uncomfortable again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MudDogs Gawn Win.. someday said:

Can’t wait to see him come in. Handball 3 opportunities inside 50 to incoming traffic. Kick 0.3 and drop more than half his marks. But stay in the team because he laid 6 tackles..

OMG your constant negativity is really becoming boring.

• Like 2

For years we have been looking for the Messiah. Roos often stated that the Messiah complex and expectation is what limts player development and in this case we cannot expect Weid to come in and emulate Hogan. 

Thinking about this I will be content for him to play his role as defined by the coaches. If he plays on McGovern then make every contest count. If he plays in the ruck, get the ball to ground to our mids and make a contest and drop back in defence. He has played 15 games and is still learning and cannot be expected to come in and clunk marks, kick a bag and dominate especially against such a well organised backline such as the Eagles. Will he however provide a better option in contested marks and rucking than Pederson? I believe he will and our goals will need to come from the mids and flankers. Last week pederson was on Heaney and one contest in particular he gave us nothing.

The only alternative I would consider is Hannan as a key forward but then who backs up Max against Lycett and Vardy?

Edited by Older demon