• Latest Podcast: Bulldogs

Sign in to follow this  
Demonland

The 2018 Finals Poll

POLL  

195 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

May seem like a stupid question but will missing the finals in 2018 be considered a failure?

We will be discussing this on tonight's Demonland Podcast LIVE at 8:30pm - http://demonland.com/podcast

Posted (edited)

There would have to be some incredibly extraordinary circumstances involved for us to miss and for me to view it as acceptable. Stuff like a death in the club (Phil Walsh), an affair coming to light (Wayne Carey), natural disasters (AAMI Park burns down) or things completely from left field (1999 salary cap fiasco/merger talks) are the only types of things that might qualify. 

We showed last year that we could cover injuries if we put our minds to it. 

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

If we don’t make finals this year we might as well pack up our bags and go home. 

I'm the eternal optimist at the best of times, but if we miss finals this year then the season, as a whole, will be nothing but a failure.  Unless we (knock wood) have to deal with a plethora of injuries to our key players, then not making the finals will mean questions are asked of the coaching department and of many players on our list.

On the flip side, I just don't see that happening this year.  I expect us to play a great brand of footy and finish anywhere from 5-8.  I think finals and possibly a win in week one of those finals is the goal, then Top 4 in 2019.

22 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

If we don’t make finals this year we might as well pack up our bags and go home. 

I have trust issues. My bags have been packed since Round 23 and are still waiting at the door. :P

Who am I kidding? I'm never leaving this club. :pj:

3 minutes ago, Demonland said:

I have trust issues. My bags have been packed since Round 23 and are still waiting at the door. :P

Who am I kidding? I'm never leaving this club. :pj:

At the end of every season for the last 11 years I’ve stopped following us for about a week. Then I get hungry and come home.

Missing finals last season was a failure.

Missing this season would be a catastrophe. 

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Missing finals last season was a failure.

Missing this season would be a catastrophe. 

Yep. That is the way we all must look at it. 

The MFC needs to be a part of September, it’s when real stuff happens. 

It’s why other clubs have 70-80,000 members, they make Finals. 

10 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Yep. That is the way we all must look at it. 

The MFC needs to be a part of September, it’s when real stuff happens. 

It’s why other clubs have 70-80,000 members, they make Finals. 

I thought it was because they counted pet and 3 game memberships ?

I haven’t been to final since the 2002 semi loss, I will be severely [censored] off if we don’t make it this year

Posted (edited)

It would be an absolute diabolical failure.

So much so that Goodwin's position should be put in question.

The media and opposition supporters are talking us up like we're a genuine top 4 side. We have to back that up in order to get some respect.

We just simply cannot afford to miss the finals again after the pain, hurt and suffering that the players, staff and supporters endured after that round 23 weekend. 

It would take a Hogan, Oliver, Gawn, Lever, Petracca type injury affected year to even think about dishing out the excuses.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delusional demon 82 said:

I've been breeding a colony of ants for this very reason. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Delusional demon 82 said:

I haven’t been to final since the 2002 semi loss, I will be severely [censored] off if we don’t make it this year

Yes ‘82 there is a bit of that, but Finals are the real deal

Looking back I curse my twenty year old self, who back then just took finals appearances every second year for granted 

• Haha 1

We should have made finals in 2017. We have to make finals in 2018. Finals is the minimum pass mark. If we don't make finals I expect the club to refund all members.

There are no excuses. The off-field is finally in good shape. The playing list is top 5 in quality league-wide now. It now comes down to how well Goodwin and co can motivate the players consistently. It's as simple as that. 

4 hours ago, Demonland said:

May seem like a stupid question but will missing the finals in 2018 be considered a failure?

We will be discussing this on tonight's Demonland Podcast LIVE at 8:30pm - http://demonland.com/podcast

Most unlike you Andy, but yes, it is a silly question.  It's impossible to even contemplate what Demonland might look like if we miss out again.  Can Mods and Administrators be suspended?

We probably shouldn't have had this poll.