Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Hawthorn



Recommended Posts

What does the 23 hour deafening silence say ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, puntkick said:

What does the 23 hour deafening silence say ?

Technical issue?

they still have 57 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why bother? he'll just straight bat everything. not complaining, just don't see the point of the exercise..

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Rocky said:

why bother? he'll just straight bat everything. not complaining, just don't see the point of the exercise..

Spot on Rocky.  I think 'straight bat' has become Goodwin's om - not necessarily a bad thing but it gets a bit boring touting out the same sort of stuff. 

Here is an article which rehashes major events of last 6 months.  http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-14/day-from-hell-spurs-goodwin-to-greater-heights

Interestingly, about round 23 he says: "Goodwin describes the brutal end to the season as this group of Demons' first footy heartache..."

WOW!  I can think of a few 'footy heartaches' for success starved supporters with this group of players!   Have to wonder what makes the guys tick when they miss finals in 2016, then in 2017 lose to bottom teams (Freo, North x 2), let games slip from their grasp (Geelong, Richmond, Hawthorn) and not feel 'footy heartache'.  

Goodwin:  "It's what you actually do. As a playing group, and as a coach, that's what we want to go and do. We don't want to talk too much." 

Couldn't agree more - talking time is over!  It is time to deliver! 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Spot on Rocky.  I think 'straight bat' has become Goodwin's om - not necessarily a bad thing but it gets a bit boring touting out the same sort of stuff. 

Here is an article which rehashes major events of last 6 months.  http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-14/day-from-hell-spurs-goodwin-to-greater-heights

Interestingly, about round 23 he says: "Goodwin describes the brutal end to the season as this group of Demons' first footy heartache..."

WOW!  I can think of a few 'footy heartaches' for success starved supporters with this group of players!   Have to wonder what makes the guys tick when they miss finals in 2016, then in 2017 lose to bottom teams (Freo, North x 2), let games slip from their grasp (Geelong, Richmond, Hawthorn) and not feel 'footy heartache'.  

Goodwin:  "It's what you actually do. As a playing group, and as a coach, that's what we want to go and do. We don't want to talk too much." 

Couldn't agree more - talking time is over!  It is time to deliver! 

Certainly not defending the useless finish to 2017 but I suspect they are referring to the fact this list is virtually turned over from when Roos took over...

Rd 1 2014 Best 22 approx
Nathan Jones Jones
Bernie Vince Vince
Dom Tyson Tyson
Jake Spencer Jetta
Rohan Bail Hibberd
Jack Watts Neal-Bullen
Jack Trengove Hunt
Daniel Cross Lever
Jack Grimes Viney
Lynden Dunn Oliver
James Frawley Salem
Matt Jones Petracca
Jimmy Toumpas Hogan
Viv Michie Melksham
Shannon Byrnes Garlett
Cameron Pedersen Pedersen
Dean Terlich Hannan
Alex Georgiou Brayshaw
Tom McDonald Tom Mac
Jeremy Howe Fritsch
Jay Kennedy-Harris Harmes
Jack Fitzpatrick Gawn

5 players the same......Wow. That's a massive change.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 7
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rocky said:

why bother? he'll just straight bat everything. not complaining, just don't see the point of the exercise..

I'd be vaguely interested to see what he said, but couldn't be bothered devoting any mental energy to coming up with a decent question, as I doubt I'd get a satisfying response. And I think for us as a club, that's probably a good thing too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Certainly not defending the useless finish to 2017 but I suspect they are referring to the fact this list is virtually turned over from when Roos took over...

Rd 1 2014 Best 22 approx
Nathan Jones Jones
Bernie Vince Vince
Dom Tyson Tyson
Jake Spencer Jetta
Rohan Bail Hibberd
Jack Watts Neal-Bullen
Jack Trengove Hunt
Daniel Cross Lever
Jack Grimes Viney
Lynden Dunn Oliver
James Frawley Salem
Matt Jones Petracca
Jimmy Toumpas Hogan
Viv Michie Melksham
Shannon Byrnes Garlett
Cameron Pedersen Pedersen
Dean Terlich Hannan
Alex Georgiou Brayshaw
Tom McDonald Tom Mac
Jeremy Howe Fritsch
Jay Kennedy-Harris Harmes
Jack Fitzpatrick Gawn

5 players the same......Wow. That's a massive change.

I agree but the vast majority of the players at the end of the 2017 season ie what Goodwin refers to as their 'first footy heartache' have been their for a number of years and certainly thru the 2016/2017 heartaches that we supporters endured in that time.

Lets hope they have learnt their lesson to not listen to the external noise (about finals and 'elite' talent etc) and instead knuckle down and fight to get respect and success and reward us long suffering supporters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rocky said:

why bother? he'll just straight bat everything. not complaining, just don't see the point of the exercise..

Hang on a minute... Goodwin can only answer the same mundane line of questions the DH journo's continually trot out each time he's interviewed.

His repetition is in line with the values the club is currently trying to instil in the playing group so wavering from those just because he has an external interview would be sending mixed messages.

His post match interviews are some of the best and most insightful out of all coaches in my opinion. 

Roos was boring as bat shyte.

Neeld was nauseating.

I don't know what some people expect but it's clearly too much.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

 talking time is over!  It is time to deliver! 

I have to agree with you there. I have had a enough of hearing the coaches and players talk. It is time for their actions to do the talking.

We have the talent and hopefully last year was the kick up the behind that they need. More action. Less talk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodwin does seem just a little out of touch with supporters but most importantly he does seem to have strong support from the playing group so l can cut him some slack.Big year for coaching staff this year. Missing finals again this season and the media and supporters will be into them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mach5 said:

I'd be vaguely interested to see what he said, but couldn't be bothered devoting any mental energy to coming up with a decent question, as I doubt I'd get a satisfying response. And I think for us as a club, that's probably a good thing too.

Without question...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Demons1858 said:

Goodwin does seem just a little out of touch with supporters but most importantly he does seem to have strong support from the playing group so l can cut him some slack.Big year for coaching staff this year. Missing finals again this season and the media and supporters will be into them

Agree, will be the season of truth for Goodwin. 

Finals or it will be ugly.

Most supporters want more than a finals appearance though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hemingway said:

Most supporters want more than a finals appearance though.

Absolutely hem. Making finals should be a non-negotiable, but even if we do, that should not be seen as 'good enough' by the playing group.

No point making the finals if you do nothing in them. Port Adelaide last year is a prime example of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodwin and the team will provide answers to our most important questions on a weekly basis through their performance.  I couldn't give two shiits about anything else they might say until the job is done.  I think the manumber himself said it that they want their actions and footy to do the talking and I agree.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Demonland said:

 

Without question. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Without question. 

The new "yeah nah"...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

Goodwin does seem just a little out of touch with supporters but most importantly he does seem to have strong support from the playing group so l can cut him some slack.Big year for coaching staff this year. Missing finals again this season and the media and supporters will be into them

He is out of touch with supporters because he hasn’t put up with this rubbish for the last 12 years, while the rest of us have delt with this our entire life!

The bloke was a good hard player with abit of backbone. If Hardwick can win a flag at Richmond so can this bloke at Melb.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MudDogs Gawn Win.. someday said:

He is out of touch with supporters because he hasn’t put up with this rubbish for the last 12 years, while the rest of us have delt with this our entire life!

The bloke was a good hard player with abit of backbone. If Hardwick can win a flag at Richmond so can this bloke at Melb.

Agree, we just hope it doesn’t take 8 seasons to do it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I agree but the vast majority of the players at the end of the 2017 season ie what Goodwin refers to as their 'first footy heartache' have been their for a number of years and certainly thru the 2016/2017 heartaches that we supporters endured in that time.

Lets hope they have learnt their lesson to not listen to the external noise (about finals and 'elite' talent etc) and instead knuckle down and fight to get respect and success and reward us long suffering supporters.

Heart *ache*, as in a dull, lingering pain. They're the ones that will drive players to improve. They will still be seething in the back of their minds now. I reckon he's right that this is the first time most of the players will have spent months stewing on a result.

As opposed to the intense, short lived pain one would expect after losing a game to North.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×