• Latest Podcast: Sydney

jnrmac

Toby Greene 6y $1m pa deal

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/gws/toby-greene-signs-sixyear-contract-with-gws-giants/news-story/782e4c6ead82d78c790e2951bfd50256

He's good but wow.

For all those whining about the Lever deal the new TV rights deal will see some amazing salaries in the next few years. Better get used to it. For me I would have lever any day of the week over Greene.

Not sure how GWS can fit Greene, Kelly, Cameron et al into their salary cap..... 

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

13 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/gws/toby-greene-signs-sixyear-contract-with-gws-giants/news-story/782e4c6ead82d78c790e2951bfd50256

He's good but wow.

For all those whining about the Lever deal the new TV rights deal will see some amazing salaries in the next few years. Better get used to it. For me I would have lever any day of the week over Greene.

Not sure how GWS can fit Greene, Kelly, Cameron et al into their salary cap..... 

gil has probably arranged a special line of credit. it is after all their private franchise

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

I assumed that all of the GWS stars were receiving well under their market value to keep the core group together.

This is a lot of money to give to Toby Greene.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I wonder which of the GWS stars have told the club they’re leaving at the end of this season or next. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

Is Shiel signed at GWS?

Until end of 2019.

56 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

Is Shiel signed at GWS?

Yes but interestingly, he has removed himself from the leadership group for this year. 

4 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I wonder which of the GWS stars have told the club they’re leaving at the end of this season or next. 

And to think that (according to Roosy) we could've had Greene for a packet of crisps before his break out year.

Btw, nice avatar :laugh:

That avatar threw me for a moment.

For about 5 seconds I thought that maybe you had been Stuie this whole time and this was your big reveal.

• Haha 1

silly money , don't think he's worth it 

when you think a few years ago they couldn't give him away 

hope they have plenty of room for the rest ....  then again the AFL will cover them

GWS offered him up to Paul Roos for a packet of chips apparently.

The ND Policy doesn't always work.

• Like 1

For Greene? Kid can play, but jesus thats huge coin/contract length considering the list they have.

Reckon @Ethan Tremblay might be on to something.

7 hours ago, jnrmac said:

He's good but wow.

Wonder what job they gave to his old man!!!

• Like 2

I'm more surprised a bloke called 'Toby' has such a bad tribunal record. Sounds like the name a toy manufacturing company would give to one of those talking teddy bears in the '80's.

Who do you think would win (seriously) btw Viney and Greene. I think Toby is an ar$e of a person, but a bloody good footballer. Be interested to see who plays on him, and I think Viney has the right level of aggression for this thug.

Posted (edited)

I reckon a Shiel type is gone. You don't sign a half forward flanker for 6mill, even if he is an AA, unless you expect a few to leave.

Edited by A F
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Can someone ring Josh Kelly please...

You mean can Viney Snr please invite Kelly over for dinner yeah?

7 hours ago, DeezNuts said:

You mean can Viney Snr please invite Kelly over for dinner yeah?

That is what a phone is for! :)

Jeremy McGovern offered $7m for a 6 year deal. Very good player.

Kudos to the club for locking up Lever on a very good deal.

• Like 4

We are seeing a pattern now where players who are seen to have great value to their club and other clubs will be rewarded with big pay deals. Greene is certainly worth a lot, however, how much becomes the question. It gets down to the players valuation,  market forces and negotiating strategies. 

Also, whether Greene is worth it can only be truly measured at the end of his contract or well into its term. Is it a question of whether that player makes the difference between a flag or not? If a flag is the measure, then Franklin's worth becomes debatable. But perhaps not in marketing terms, membership and his impact across the whole season. Not so Dusty. Despite the Tigers team effort, Martin was the difference in the final series. At the time, many thought his coin excessive. No one is questioning that today. 

What we know is that there is a high risk involved in all these big deals.  

However, there has to be balance between these big individual pay deals and the team. The rest of the team, particularly the big time players must see these deals as fair and reasonable. A club has to be able to justify its decisions and actions so that all players think they are being treated (perhaps not equally) but certainly fairly.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Jeremy McGovern offered $7m for a 6 year deal. Very good player.

Kudos to the club for locking up Lever on a very good deal.

The fact that we got Lever on a cheaper deal than the Greene one speaks volumes for how good Josh Mahoney and co. look for what they were able to do over the off season.  Fantastic stuff.

5 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

The fact that we got Lever on a cheaper deal than the Greene one speaks volumes for how good Josh Mahoney and co. look for what they were able to do over the off season.  Fantastic stuff.

Probably says more about the Adelaide FC than it does about the MFC ? 

I think we paid around market value to secure a player who wanted to return to Victoria. GWS seem to be paying overs to keep someone from leaving Sydney. But at what cost?