• Latest Podcast: Josh Mahoney Interview

Demonland

AFLW: Rd 5 v. Brisbane @ Casey

2 hours ago, buck_nekkid said:

I was amazed by this.  Pushed the Melbourne player out of the way like something behind her was on discount.  Then kicked the goal.  Outrageous.  No eyes on the ball or anything!

Yeah, I was staggered when I saw that, I was trying to be nice about it in the earlier post.

It was even more staggering that the commentators thought it was a brilliant play. That was a classic example of nearly costing a team the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demon77 said:

Yeah, I was staggered when I saw that, I was trying to be nice about it in the earlier post.

It was even more staggering that the commentators thought it was a brilliant play. That was a classic example of nearly costing a team the game.

I only watched the last 15 minutes of the game, but looked like the umpires were trying to help Brisbane back in the game. Another Brisbane girl was tackled between point and goal post, threw ball up one handed no free, a number of blatant Demons frees disregarded, then a 50/50 would go Lions way. It would have been an injustice to see the Demons lose. 

If the girls kicked straight, umpiring would not have come into it. Freo game was one they kicked away!

• Like 1

I had to laugh at the protests for a free kick on the final siren... you have to actually tackle someone for a change to get a holding the ball decision....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, The Great Pretender said:

In a competition where percentage could determine whether or not you make the grand final, Melbourne’s accuracy record has been deplorable apart from in the opening round:-

1 Melbourne 7.3.45 to GWS 6.3.39

2 Melbourne 8.8.56 to Adelaide 4.0.24

3 Melbourne 4.7.31 to Fremantle 6.0.36

4 Melbourne 3.6.24 to Collingwood 9.4.58

5 Melbourne 4.10.34 to Brisbane 4.4.28

That’s 70 scoring shots to 40 - which would give you a percentage of 175% whereas our real percentage is 102.5%. This needs to be addressed.

How very true. We could already have had a grand final spot virtually parceled up with a win over Freo had we kicked just that little bit straighter.

Yesterday’s results worked a bit for us. If the Pies can beat the Dogs today then our destiny will be in our own hands as we could definitely then make it by winning both remaining games.

On 03/03/2018 at 9:16 AM, buck_nekkid said:

I was amazed by this.  Pushed the Melbourne player out of the way like something behind her was on discount.  Then kicked the goal.  Outrageous.  No eyes on the ball or anything!

I’m not normally one to question the decisions of an umpire <sarcasm meter on high> but I think if I get the chance at today’s family day, I might ask Maxy what he thinks about interference in ruck duels.

Oh, and by the way, does anyone have any vision from last year’s game v St Kilda?

8 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I’m not normally one to question the decisions of an umpire <sarcasm meter on high> but I think if I get the chance at today’s family day, I might ask Maxy what he thinks about interference in ruck duels.

Oh, and by the way, does anyone have any vision from last year’s game v St Kilda?

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/897379049281957888

There is some video on this link

In one of yesterday's JLT games the commentator praised a ruckman for 'fending off the ruckman with one hand and palming the ball off the other.'  I immediately thought of that StKIlda game and of those 5 free kicks against Max!  (One of the many 'what ifs' of our season that cost us % and the finals).  Paddy Ryder was pinned for a few ruck fend offs as well

Will be interesting to see if umpires enforce 'The Max Fend Off' this year.  We play the saints this week so it will be a good test case (as apparently it was they that complained in the weeks leading up to the 2017 game with us).

Max has changed his technique.  Hopefully, umpires enforce it against other teams in 2018.  I suspect it was the 'rule of the week' for a fortnight and they will forget all about it...of course, only until Max thinking it is safe, tries it and they pin him again.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My belated thoughts on the game...

Great response from our leaders and actually every player gave something, which is all you can ask. I thought Zanker had some 'get up and go' about her, which hopefully can be built on.

I didn't like the look of our backline before the game (no Downie, no Duryea) but they held up ok and kept a pretty good structure. It was dicey at the end, but that was everyone.

'The Big 3' showed their intensity and led from the front. I've officially removed Hickey from this group as she should forever more be started off half-back. I love O'Dea's quick kicks round the body into 50, on either foot. Even if it doesn't come off (ala the Moloney-esque bomb forward) it stops the rot, which is important for us. Enjoyed Newman's forward pressure and L.Pearce's work around the ground -  gave off some attacking handballs. Scott and Smith are two players who don't get talked about much but are consistent contributors.

I hope we can fit Humphries back in at some point. According the the app, she's our only player in the top 10 for disposal efficiency. Admittently she may not get much of the ball but she hits targets. I may be biased because she's a favourite of mine!

Also can we just kick straight next week. That would be helpful.

Edited by Dees_In_October
  • Like 4