Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Post Match Discussion: JLT #1 vs North Melbourne

Demonland

21 hours ago, don't make me angry said:

I would never ever drop hogan for pedo ever, jess would have to have played 4 bad game in a row for that to happened, pedo would never be able to do half the things hogan can do, pedo has never kicked more then 4 goals in a game.  Pedo The most over rated player on the list by many on this site, he is depth only.

Pedo's best position is in the ruck. losing hit outs and getting 15 possessions and kicking a couple of goals. whilst the opposition ruck gets 5 possies and 50 meaningless tap outs.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bay Riffin said:

Pedo's best position is in the ruck. losing hit outs and getting 15 possessions and kicking a couple of goals. whilst the opposition ruck gets 5 possies and 50 meaningless tap outs.

tend to agree, which is why it was so interesting that when gawn was off and the occasional stint up forward it was t mac who went into the ruck with pedo deployed as that roaming forward

1 hour ago, rjay said:

Frosty has been tried in the ruck before so it's not a new idea.

He's not doing it now for a reason, it didn't work.

Rjay: Thank you for the advice/it was only an opinion from recent observations/the post that preceded mine was worthy of comment and support/that is all. 

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

We don't need him in that role anymore, plus our backline takes more of a zone approach, which is one of the reasons why we got Lever who is the master at it.

I can see why you want to keep him there, but he'll be of more value to us up forward this year.

Possibly correct, too. He is a versatile player. Thank you.

24 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

tend to agree, which is why it was so interesting that when gawn was off and the occasional stint up forward it was t mac who went into the ruck with pedo deployed as that roaming forward

That's our Pedo ... he can be magical.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, forever demons said:

Brayshaw will a be a gun why give him a hard time no different to tracc 4th year in and showing about the same amount of ability and nobody bags tracc

24 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Possibly correct, too. He is a versatile player. Thank you.

would to see frost in useing his run and strength but there seems to be so others ahead of him

1 minute ago, forever demons said:

oscar could be the one frost takes over from

I don't know why people take this view.

We played our strongest side on the weekend, minus the injuries, and Frost didn't get a look in.  Oscar more than held his own, looked composed and defended well.  What more do you want?

We won't play three talls down back, so I'd say Lever and Oscar will be the two starting there in Round 1.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, forever demons said:

oscar could be the one frost takes over from

I fully agree but don't let anyone else on DL know about this because they write nasty posts in return.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

If there's one thing I think we can take from the game it's the field kicking.

On a day when conditions weren't conducive to good kicking we really put on a clinic.

Who thought we could ever say this a few years back.

I know that we didn't have a lot of pressure from North but in the Neeld and early Roos days we would have been lucky to hit the side of a barn on a still day doing circle work at Gosch's...

The addition of Hibberd along with Petracca, Oliver, Vince, Salem, Lewis etc not only gives us grunt but it's starting to show in how we use the ball...we looked like a real football side.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Give it a rest. Brayshaw had a fantastic debut season where he only missed one game, followed by injury interrupted (knee and concussions) in 2016/17. Give him some time to build some confidence before you make him the new whipping boy. 

Not sure if anyone is making Brayshaw the new whipping boy. I believe the general consensus is that, given his injury history, we all wish him the best and hope he fulfils his potential but going on Saturday’s performance he may struggle to make the Rnd 1 side. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

I haven't seen, especially from the North game, that there is any reason why we need to make that change.

Nicely put, so thank you for the impartial yet relevant comment. DMsince56

1 hour ago, fndee said:

Not sure if anyone is making Brayshaw the new whipping boy. I believe the general consensus is that, given his injury history, we all wish him the best and hope he fulfils his potential but going on Saturday’s performance he may struggle to make the Rnd 1 side. 

thought he played ok got to the right spots but didnt finish well ,but just the first hit out of the season needs to get confidence back after all the noggin knocks

One of the other things I liked about the game was the fourth quarter effort.

We were against the wind but only lost the quarter by two points. In the past in Hobart we've lost the last quarter and the game even with the wind. Hope this shows that we've now got the conditioning and composure to play out four quarters. 

4 minutes ago, It's Time said:

One of the other things I liked about the game was the fourth quarter effort.

We were against the wind but only lost the quarter by two points. In the past in Hobart we've lost the last quarter and the game even with the wind. Hope this shows that we've now got the conditioning and composure to play out four quarters. 

We won the last quarter by a point.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, low flying Robbo said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Frosty should start training as a backup ruckman in case Max goes down. I reckon he'd be good at it. He can give himself a run up at each ball up and those stand and jump type guys will try to block him and there should be free after free for it.... at least until the AFL change the rules to stop it...

Doesn't have the endurance. Which is probably part of the reason he isn't playing now either. Fitness is vital at the start of the year. 

Frost has speed and effort. His best spot is deep down back, using his pace to defend and force contests and we'll need him through the year.

If we don't require him down back he's a chance to play the defensive forward role as he did a few times in 2015/2016 I think. His lack of skills will hurt him there but it's an option and I'm surprised late last year at least in a few games they didn't move him at half time. He's behind a long list - Pedda, Weeds, Tim Smith and probably Vanders - but he's more of a chance there than in the ruck.

I can't see how we go into a game with Tmac, Hogan, Gawn and Pedo. It's too top heavy, unless you are willing to play Hogan mainly in the midfield.

While I love Pedo and he is a fantastic backup, unless we are playing a very big defence, he will struggle to fit into the 22 purely from a structure perspective.

TMac is fine for 5 minute ruck stints a quarter. He will lose almost all tap outs, but he does OK roving. 

It was fantastic to see Gawn, Harmes, ANB, Melksham and Fritsch play so well.

I watched the game twice on the weekend and Brayshaw was better on the second viewing. I like him at half back. He has better closing speed than Lewis and Vince and I would like us to persevere with him there. He defiantly needs to tidy his disposal though.

I liked Vince’s game and the consensus view of his demise is premature. I thought he was one of our better players and doesn’t look to have lost any real pace.

I feel our defence would be better with Frost in the side and Lever as our third defender in place of Wagner. Lever was caught out a few times out the back and sides will try to draw him back to full back. As an aside, I think Lever could eventually become a gun forward.

I wanted us to try Hogan, TMac and Pedo in the same forward line, but it was clear we are a better side with just two key targets and mid-sized players like Harmes, ANB, Melksham, Petracca, Hannon, Bugg and Fritsch.

19 hours ago, Watts the matter said:

I'm not sure why I'm bothering but here goes.

This discussion stems from a discussion about where he fits in the team (initially someone claiming he was in our top 5 players, then progressing to discussing his place in our 22 for round 1). 

Can you name a player that did not play the role they were asked to play yesterday? We had 24 players playing, along with 4 best 22 players missing, so 6 players need to make way. 

You have not added anything to the discussion other than going out of your way to defend a player for no apparent reason. 

If you are just going to tow the company line, why bother posting in this thread. We are all capable of going to the club website and reading that for ourselves.

Discussion, you are like others I have on ignore on here, 'here is my opinion, it is the only correct one, the rest of you are wrong'   

Brayshaw fit and in form, is a very valuable player, whether this equates to a regular spot in the 22 who knows, Goodwin rates him, he plaued his role at the weekend

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/02/2018 at 9:38 AM, Deemania since 56 said:

Anywhere on the fwd line, preferably as a flanker from the bench to come onto the ground whilst someone else rested; he can then play his terrific 'roving' role and with his usually superb disposal/kicking - and goals on the run - he could become an opposition nightmare. This young fella is quite a gun footballer who has missed many games due to previous injuries. He got hit in the head because he had to be stopped in the past.

Agreed. Very tough, very skilled and very intelligent.  If he keeps his noggin out of trouble he'll play every game.

On 2/24/2018 at 4:32 PM, Petraccattack said:

We have more talent than GWS, or any other list.

Yeah I said it. Debate me.

What about The National Party.......

24 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Discussion, you are like others I have on ignore on here, 'here is my opinion, it is the only correct one, the rest of you are wrong'   

Brayshaw fit and in form, is a very valuable player, whether this equates to a regular spot in the 22 who knows, Goodwin rates him, he plaued his role at the weekend

Irony, thy name is Saty. 

• Like 4
  • Angry 1

9 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Tom should stay back at fullback. He covers that area and rebounds better than most. He steers others to cover opponents. Other than often telegraphing his intent with the football in hand, he does apply terrific pressure and mobility to rebound attacks that start in the backline. He makes our whole backline set-up look elite. So often, he brings or punches the ball to ground to the advantage of his team-mates or run-on clearances. We have forwards to burn this year and Tom, whilst capable in a forward role, better serves the team in defence.

Tom will play forward this year. It is a main reason why Watts was sold off. Tom will take up the slack

Lever was the lynch pin to this happening. 

I was told by an MFC “insider” last September that it was Lever in & Watts out

and that is what happened