Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Post Match Discussion: JLT #1 vs North Melbourne

Demonland

1 minute ago, layzie said:

One of the main things I took out of it was most certainly Fritsch. Got a great eye for the ball in flight, it’s gonna be tough but I’d really like to see him get a shot in Rd 1

We're gonna need to really stretch the Cats defense, doing so will result in Taylor going back and leaving only Hawkins as their only KPF avenue to goal.

Break even in the midfield (a big ask) and we just might nudge them with our forward potency winning out. Fritsch would add to that, so i'd have him in. Hogan, McDonald, Fritsch, Garlett, Harmes, Bugg with the likes of Petracca/ANB floating forward

Fritsch plays round one. 

It feels to me as the team is developing as a team should.   

A fit list will take us a fair way this season.   This is the best and most balanced  list of players that  we have had in a very long time.

• Like 7

What stood out for me is big Max. Never seen him look as fit, back to All Australian form I would say. Also the team looked a lot more confident in their moving the ball  at all cost which in the second half of last year they seemed to have lost by being too tentative. 

Fritsch a revelation, and a perfect replacement for Watts. 

Some on the park who I think will struggle to make our best 22 for round 1, particularly Brayshaw and Peterson. Saddens me to say so because at their best they are in our best 18.

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, demonstone said:

Did Lewis even appear after quarter time?  Someone earlier thought he may have been injured.  His stats show six touches only.

3 minutes ago, demonstone said:

Did Lewis even appear after quarter time?  Someone earlier thought he may have been injured.  His stats show six touches only.

Na, only played the first. Looked pretty good, not sure if both he and Vince are needed in the same team. Having said that I thought Vince was pretty good too

• Like 2

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-24/match-report-kangaroos-v-demons-jlt1

MELBOURNE mature-age draftee Bayley Fritsch has emphatically boosted his round-one selection chances with a fine performance in attack in the Demons' comprehensive 53-point victory over North Melbourne at Kingston Twins Ovals in Tasmania on Saturday.

The word out of Melbourne is that Fritsch, 21, has been earmarked for an opening round debut after an impressive summer, and the spring-heeled forward gave every indication that that will be the case with an impressive first-up display.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

14 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

I would like to see frost get a go down back in the next jlt and give Omac a rest. 

Good result and well played, as a team. Greater options appear available with the list. OMac failed to please being led up the ground out of position too often. Does a bit too much holding, as well, without acquired discretion. Frosty needs to be at CHB and Tom needs to come back to FFWD as we have great players in the forward line with many options. Loved to game played by Salem, Maynard and ANB. 

• Like 2

Maybe they just use this as a practise game, but the way they were marking and kicking was brilliant. If this was at training I’d still be excited about the year ahead.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Good result and well played, as a team. Greater options appear available with the list. OMac failed to please being led up the ground out of position too often. Does a bit too much holding, as well, without acquired discretion. Frosty needs to be at CHB and Tom needs to come back to FFWD as we have great players in the forward line with many options. Loved to game played by Salem, Maynard and ANB. 

Seriously? Get over it, he was good by foot today. It's not easy playing last line of defence and he won't win every contest.

Most of us would like to see Frost in the team but the fact they chose OMac in the first JLT speaks volumes. 

Give the kid a break!!!

• Like 11

100 more disposals than North. That excess almost equally shared between kicks and handballs.

Awesome statistic.

Won the clearances but room for improvement given our dominance.

Obviously Norf were woeful but it is great to see us do a number on a team. Hopefully we can repeat it in the real season as big wins have been few and far between in the past.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

I was actually impressed with Oscar. Sure he did get done for a few holds but I thought he showed more confidence with his kicking and hit some key targets. There’s gonna be time when he’s playing above his weight but hopefully having someone like Lever there to block up the holes will free him up a bit.

• Like 9

Listened to a bit while I was out running.

Nice to see we got off to a good start to the year but realistically, we carved up a team who most reckon will get the spoon in the pre season. This is the low hanging fruit. That being said, I'm glad we did get this as this would be the type of game we would have lost.

I will still reserve judgement. When people are throwing wobblies on here about individual losses, I always remember a year should be remembered by the body of work contained within it. Today was a small snapshot.

Liked what I saw. Clinical by foot in windy conditions speaks volumes about where this team is at compared with 3 seasons ago. 

The list is looking very balanced and if we stay injury free over the next month the Rd 1 team will be a ripper and so will Casey’s.

• Like 5

positives:

• defensive intensity outstanding
  • tackling amazing
  • ball use was terrific

negatives:

• it wasn't the regular season so the monkey is not off the back
  • a couple of players don't look quite at the level required for afl

based upon this showing, i think it's pretty impossible to not have fritsch in the side for round 1

it's going to be very interesting to see what they do around the structure of the forward 5 plus spares - will pedo make it into the 22, or will we go the multi-varied forward line of two talls in hogan and t mac, plus all of petracca, melksham, garlett, bugg, fritsch and hannan rotating through?

jlt 2 should be informative

• Like 1

Gawns ruckwork, our hunting of the man and our ball transition by foot in a windy day were the general highlights. 

Harmes and ANB have gone to another level, Salem showed his value in the second half as he worked into it and Fritsch showed his potential to make our forward structure even harder to select for round 1. 

Only real disappointment for me was Brayshaws execution but we should be just be happy he gets through games at the minute. Also Stretch missing shots he needs to kick as wel tackles he needs to stick I for frustrating, Will be interesting to see the set up for next JLT. 

Edited by big_red_fire_engine
  • Like 7

I sometimes wonder what people watch.  I've been critical of Oscar at times, but he showed his development today.  He spoiled well, he's a far better kick than his Brother and hits targets, and he outbodied Brown to win a 1v1 marking contest.  He looks stronger and more composed.  And he's 3-4 years from his best footy.  

McDonald takes Brown.  Brown is beaten and has a stinker.  McDonald is criticised. 

• Like 22

1 minute ago, Wiseblood said:

We still have JLT 2 to play, where we may well see the return of Tyson, Garlett and Jetta, but from today's showing there are going to be some very, very stiff players missing out in Round 1.

This is the best problem to have in AFL.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Demonland said:

This is the best problem to have in AFL.

Absolutely, and I think we've chipped away at this aspect of the club for a while now.  For too long we've had blokes getting games when they shouldn't and we've rarely had enough pressure coming from Casey on blokes who are under performing.

I have a feeling that is about to change, and as you say, it's a great problem to have.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

How good was Gawny - although it may have been partly the case that Goldy has lost major ground since their epic Hobart duel two years ago.

I've said before, but I will say again - ANB is becoming more and more like Robbie Gray.

And Harmesy field kicking was superb - imagine if Hoges could kick like that?

Lever showed why we took him and with Hibberd gives us two quality footballers in our back seven - the other five are good as well - but these two are elite. The only downside to that is that Frosty is way out of favour - as he was late last season. He's got a big job now to get back in the mix and will probably need an injury or a massive opposition side to get in ahead of Lever and O.Mac. Clearly Goody is still [censored] off with him.

It was a great team effort, although we were playing a bottom four side from last year and potentially the spooners this year. We'll get more of an idea from St Kilda game.

Of those who played and didn't cement spots for Rd 1, I have the following:

Angus Brayshaw - nothing wrong with his game, but nothing you'd rave about either.

Wags - handy early and more precise with his kicking, but not as influential after quarter time. Jetta still well ahead and replaces him barring other injuries.

Hannan - the coach loves him so he probably will play Rd 1, but I didn't like the way he hung off the back of the pack waiting for glory when Gawn unloaded with his 70m torp. Bugg has to be picked ahead of him and if they decide on a fab five small forward set up then Bayely Fritsch is also in the mix now. Our best four small forwards today were ANB, Melky, Buggy and Fritsch. Assuming Jeffy is fit by Rd 1, that should be our five to go with supporting T-Mac and Hoges.

Salem, Maynard and Billy all had their moments, but I suspect one and possibly two (if Viney is fit) will miss Rd 1.

Biggest mistake - wasting about six centre clearances by putting Hoges in there. Hoges is our worst decision-maker  and disposer in the entire squad and he gets a gig in there ahead of Trac, Angus and others. Ridiculous stupidity and worthy of the club leaders going up the coach and having a word about it. If he's in the middle against Geelong, it's game over. Jesse is a great mark, has natural fitness and has presence on the forward line - but the rest of his game needs major work and as he is our laziest trainer. Rewarding him is the worst possible outcome and makes a mockery of getting rid of Jack Watts.

• Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Absolutely, and I think we've chipped away at this aspect of the club for a while now.  For too long we've had blokes getting games when they shouldn't and we've rarely had enough pressure coming from Casey on blokes who are under performing.

I have a feeling that is about to change, and as you say, it's a great problem to have.

Yeah I was half wishing we'd play Spargo and Baker just so I could selfishly see what they've got but I realise that we don't need to play them this early as we have in previous years. Their times will come and they will develop the way they're meant to develop in a good side.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

Biggest mistake - wasting about six centre clearances by putting Hoges in there. Hoges is our worst decision-maker  and disposer in the entire squad and he gets a gig in there ahead of Trac, Angus and others. Ridiculous stupidity and worthy of the club leaders going up the coach and having a word about it. If he's in the middle against Geelong, it's game over. Jesse is a great mark, has natural fitness and has presence on the forward line - but the rest of his game needs major work and as he is our laziest trainer. Rewarding him is the worst possible outcome and makes a mockery of getting rid of Jack Watts.

I agree with most of your analysis Dee, but this is a head scratcher.

It's the JLT series and we've flagged that we want to use Jesse in the midfield a little more.  It's the perfect time to trial it when there are no points up for grabs and losing a couple of centre clearances means nothing.  If the experiment doesn't work, then I assume we don't do it much at all in the future.  It's harmless to do it now.

To suggest sticking him in there a little today makes a mockery of getting rid of Jack Watts, that he's out laziest trainer etc is one of the most bizzare things I've read on here.  Seems like an outrageous over-reaction to me.

• Like 11