Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Crazy things you’ve done as a Demons supporter

Cassiew

On 20/02/2018 at 5:30 PM, Cassiew said:

At lot of things can be taken from the 1988 grand final, that a lot of people forget...

That newscaster flipping the coin saying who would win and it was Melbourne; Noel Watson’s rendition of ‘Waltzing Matldah’; for the first few minutes, it was actually exciting; the big brawl; we actually did lead for one point briefly in the first quarter; that Hawthorn player breaking his wrist; the torrid rain; after the second quarter, we got the first goal and it seemed like it was back within reach; the halftime bicentennial celebration entertainment were phenomenal; the third quarter was by far our best, only losing by 7 points; the coaching staff, climbing out of the window before the game ended; we were shocking with kicking 6.26. Who knows, if they had been goals, it could have supurred us into a winning attitude; Robbie Flowers face, when he had to present the Hawks winning medals; yet he did it with dignity and grace.

I’m sad in our history of Melbourne fc dvd, after 1987, they cut immediantly to the 1988 grand final. The journey there was phenomenal. Beating Collingwood in a final. The one against a west Coast. The preliminary final was one of the best days ever. Sadly 1988 seems to get lost when compared to 1987. They do all the build us and grand final preparations on the DVD for our gf against Essendon in 2000. It’s not like we did a hell of a lot better in that gf.

I noticed someone someone put the halftime show on YouTube. I haven’t seen it since 1996 when I watched the old “The one day 1988 gf” video. It brings back memories. My cousin Roxanne was one of the girls out there, although I can’t see her in the vid. I thought some people might want to see it again. It was one of the few highlights of an otherwise forgettable day.

1988 Grand Final  half time entertainment 

1) while living in Seattle, I set the alarm for 3am to watch a meaningless 2010 NAB Cup game v’s Freo. Alas we lost.

2) attending back to back road trips last year against North in Hobart and then GWS in Canberra. I almost left Manuka at qtr time and back on the road to Melbourne after we conceded 8 goals by qtr time.

3) attending evey  game in VIC in the train wreck that was known as 2013.

Shag... heh. The only thing I remember about that game was us being shagged in 88.

I was in Brisbane at the time, and had to listen to a Carlton [censored] telling me that if they made it they would have put up a better show.

I punched him in the face at half time, and he punched me back, then we were separated.

Many years later I made a very fine 50 odd not out against his mob with him as the opening bowler. We pushed then out of the finals that day and we made them.

I enjoyed the after game handshake.

9 hours ago, pinkshark said:

#metoo

lol I already said what happened in a later post. I’ll mercifully not elaborate further ?

Edited by Cassiew

Ok I promised I’d share my 2000 grand final experience:

For the day I was scheduled to work. I had to beg to change my shift to night. I was told if if I didn’t come in, I would be let go.

The week before, all my friends decided to go away and watch it in the country at a friends house. Because of my shift, I couldn’t go and had to stay at home. So, I had to watch it all on my own. I decided to make the best of it. I got ALL my demon merchandise from all the years and decorated the room with it (ie, Demon Ted, demon scarfs, demon flag, demon mknrybox, etc). I even slept in my old demon pyjamas, the night before. 

So, bought myself snacks and soft drink and got u early to have the full experience. I still had a hope that we could win, although deep down, I probably knew it wasn’t going to happen. Watching the first quarter, we were ahead a few times, but the way we were kicking. Too many contested marks while Essendon was kicking to unmarked men. I remember the commentator saying that Neal Daniher shouldn’t be too unhappy with that was we were only a few goals down. I knew that unless we changed our game drastically, we were in for a loss. 

At half time, I didn’t really understand how down we were until the commentator said that it would be unlikely for us to come back from this. Then I had to watch the rest of the match. I sat through it through the bitter end, even watching Sheedy’s pathetic suck-up speech at the end. It really hurt because I know it would have meant so much more to us then it ever would have to Bomber fans. I mean they last won one in 1993, a 7 year wait? Boo hoo.

Then I switched off and had to get ready for work. So, I went to work miserable and hardly said a word to anyone. It’s not that I expected us to win, but I thought we could have done a lot better than that. Especially after we’d almost beaten them in the year. I was fortunate not to have to deal with customers that night.

I got home after midnight. I got changed and got out my old “Grand finals of the 1960’s” video. I watched the footage from 1960 and 1964. Then I thought to myself ‘this is still the closest thing we have to a premiership video.’ I sadly went to bed and I don’t think I could talk about it for a very long time afterwards.

I’m glad I got to experience a grand final as an adult. But I just wish the commentators hadn’t been so “Melbourne don’t have a hope”. I didn’t really notice any of the sympathies in the media for the underdogs like there was in 2016 and 2017. I just hope that next time we wualify, at least they believe they had a hope as I did.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

A few years ago at half time I got a coffee, when I usually drink tea. It was insane. 

I didn’t get to sleep til 9:30 that night!

I won’t be doing that again. 

I'm not sure how anyone could watch us a few years ago without a cocktail of various stimulants (and/or depressants).

For the 88 GF I was on an end of season footy trip in Tasmania.  We all went to a pub to watch the big game. Several of my team mates were Hawks fans and I made a number of, upon reflection, ridiculous wagers.

I ended up jogging back to our hotel in the rain wearing only jocks and runners and seriously affected by alcohol. My team mates travelled alongside in a minibus yelling, laughing and discharching various missiles in my direction..  I got lost and ended up spending 4 hours in the watchouse where I was violently ill to the amusement of some of Tasmania’s finest.

There is more to this story that makes it even better but I simply cannot reveal that part of it here!  

• Love 1

12 hours ago, ProperDee said:

For the 88 GF I was on an end of season footy trip in Tasmania.  We all went to a pub to watch the big game. Several of my team mates were Hawks fans and I made a number of, upon reflection, ridiculous wagers.

I ended up jogging back to our hotel in the rain wearing only jocks and runners and seriously affected by alcohol. My team mates travelled alongside in a minibus yelling, laughing and discharching various missiles in my direction..  I got lost and ended up spending 4 hours in the watchouse where I was violently ill to the amusement of some of Tasmania’s finest.

There is more to this story that makes it even better but I simply cannot reveal that part of it here!  

?

At least you got to wear underwear and sneakers!

I took off immediately the game finished so still daylight. The pub was in the main street too so at least SOME decorum was maintained!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ProperDee said:

I took off immediately the game finished so still daylight. The pub was in the main street too so at least SOME decorum was maintained!

???

Lol mine was past midnight when no one was about except some guys I knew. Only down the street, but no clothes or even footwear allowed. Wont be doing that again in a hurry!

Edited by Cassiew

Sometime during 1989 i was taken to Glenferrie oval for the traditional Thursday night Sausage Sizzle, it was a great feed, i will give them that

BUT during the evening i was taken to the Whorethorn Trophy ? Cabinets whereby the 1988 Cup was produced and i was forced to look at what could have been. 

We Demons have been put through the wringer far too often, and opposition supporters love it. 

Round 23 last year was the last straw for me, i will not put up with white flag games again. 

Yesterday the side looked good, with room for massive tweaks. 

It must be the bare minimum accepted going forward

Has anyone had to wear an opponents jumper as punishment. I had to agree to do it for a profile pic for 3 days. I got the last laugh as I wrote on it “at least you could have washed the sh.. off it. Wait.. it’s your team colours!”

Edited by Cassiew

47 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

What'll you do when we produce another one?

Do something else. Not get emotionally involved. 

It is offensive that a group of players could be so well paid and yet not lay a tackle on an oponent for 11 minutes of the opening quarter, when the stakes were so high. 

We collectively have given this club far too much slack over many years, it is why we are nowhere near THE Power club we once were. 

When my father was 20+ y/o there was no club who could touch us, and we have lost it all. 

PJ has done a monumental job in restucturing the whole club, but he can’t kick the ball, the players have to do that

Round 23 2017 is the last time. Never again do we show a white flag...

3 hours ago, Cassiew said:

Has anyone had to wear an opponents jumper as punishment. I had to agree to do it for a profile pic for 3 days. I got the last laugh as I wrote on it “at least you could have washed the sh.. off it. Wait.. it’s your team colours!”

Yes. A bloody Collingwood one of all things.

• Shocked 1

50 minutes ago, Uncle Fester said:

Yes. A bloody Collingwood one of all things.

But the good thing was if I posted it, he made a donation to charity. So, some good came out of it.

Getting right up to the barrier and singing Grand Old Flag at the top of my lungs to the Eagles players as they walked down the race at the end of that game last season. My Hawks mate gave Mitchell [censored] too for good measure 

Just now, Uncle Fester said:

I got laid. I just had to do it wearing a Collingwood jumper. God, I feel so dirty.

?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Uncle Fester said:

I got laid. I just had to do it wearing a Collingwood jumper. God, I feel so dirty.

I dunno. Wearing it was so horrible. I’d almost rather do the nudie run again (if I was younger.) at least mine was only a Saints one. How did the recipient feel about it?

Edited by Cassiew