Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Crazy things you’ve done as a Demons supporter

Cassiew

In round 20 of 1982, me and my Demon mate went to Victoria Park for the first (and last) time to watch Melbourne play Collingwood.  We found standing room in a packed outer but soon realised we were surrounded by a seething mob of dirty, ugly, loud, abusive, obscene, smelly and toothless black and white supporters.  Almost without exception, they were drunk, smoking like chimneys, swearing like wharfies and even at this early stage of the day fighting amongst themselves.  Some of the men were just as bad.

We started well with the wind but the Pies had regained the lead by half-time.  The third quarter was all ours with eight goals and in the last, we kicked another eight to finish all over them by nine goals.  Having kept very, very quiet all day for fear of attracting the wrong sort of attention, the beers (ice-cold cans!) finally got the better of me and this is when I did the craziest thing in my life.

As Mark 'Jacko' Jackson kicked his seventh to seal victory, I let rip with a loud "Go Demons!!".  Things then went eerily quiet in the outer as hundreds of pairs of beady eyes bored into us.  I looked at my mate, he nodded and we turned and ran as fast as we could towards the exit and kept going all the way to Johnstone Street where we jumped on the first bus we found.  It didn't matter that it was heading in the wrong direction, we just wanted to get away from that horrible joint.  Only my drycleaner will know just how frightened I was that day.

Edited by demonstone
spolling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Started the only fight of my life. 2002 Semi-final against Adelaide at the G was an emotional rollercoaster.

I was in my late teenage years at the time and loved (hated?) my footy as much back then as I do now. We were 8 goals down at quarter time. I was gutted. Then my favourite player Travis Johnstone put on a masterclass BOG effort. Most touches, 4 goals from a wing, it was a vintage Travis finals performance. He was always a big game player. Yze and Bruce chimed in, Neitz and Vardy piling on goals up forward. We hit the lead and had control of the match by three quarter time. It was a great fight back, and I thought that year may have been one we could pinch. Then the mental softness that permeates the club to this day kicked in. The pressure came, the momentum shifted, and we folded. Season over. I was insanely worked up.
I stormed out of the ground furious at what had happened and some Adelaide supporter in his 20s-30s started having a go. For the first and only time in my life I started a fight. I must've landed one right in a sweet spot as he went down. I don't know what I was yelling, but I know there were lots of 4 letter words and complaints that the universe was robbing us. Others started yelling and jumping in. I got shoved into a pack but wound up on the outside of a group that were starting to punch on. I had lost my [censored], and I grabbed a bin and flung it into a group of people fighting. Next thing I remember I was being shoved into the back of a divvy van by the cops. Stupidest and craziest thing I've ever done. Really out of character, but that night footy just drove me mad.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

15 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Started the only fight of my life. 2002 Semi-final against Adelaide at the G was an emotional rollercoaster.

I was in my late teenage years at the time and loved (hated?) my footy as much back then as I do now. We were 8 goals down at quarter time. I was gutted. Then my favourite player Travis Johnstone put on a masterclass BOG effort. Most touches, 4 goals from a wing, it was a vintage Travis finals performance. He was always a big game player. Yze and Bruce chimed in, Neitz and Vardy piling on goals up forward. We hit the lead and had control of the match by three quarter time. It was a great fight back, and I thought that year may have been one we could pinch. Then the mental softness that permeates the club to this day kicked in. The pressure came, the momentum shifted, and we folded. Season over. I was insanely worked up.
I stormed out of the ground furious at what had happened and some Adelaide supporter in his 20s-30s started having a go. For the first and only time in my life I started a fight. I must've landed one right in a sweet spot as he went down. I don't know what I was yelling, but I know there were lots of 4 letter words and complaints that the universe was robbing us. Others started yelling and jumping in. I got shoved into a pack but wound up on the outside of a group that were starting to punch on. I had lost my [censored], and I grabbed a bin and flung it into a group of people fighting. Next thing I remember I was being shoved into the back of a divvy van by the cops. Stupidest and craziest thing I've ever done. Really out of character, but that night footy just drove me mad.

My brothers have done similar things to that. I threatened never to go with them again if they started another fight. Thankfully they thought of me and matured. Now I love going with them.

I dunno if this is crazy, but I have saved ever football record from every games I’ve been to since 1994. I keep them in a box in my spare room. Also, copies from the now defunct “Football” and “Demon” magazines.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

That was one crazy game... both sides flat out attack in September

Even back then it was unheard of....

On 18/02/2018 at 12:02 PM, old dee said:

Excellent work SJ fostering is a great service. Be proud mate with a little luck you might just create another worthy Australian citizen.

A good year would help solidify the relationship. 

I  hope he doesn't end up resenting me... as the [censored] who converted me to the fees. 

2 hours ago, demonstone said:

In round 20 of 1982, me and my Demon mate went to Victoria Park for the first (and last) time to watch Melbourne play Collingwood.  We found standing room in a packed outer but soon realised we were surrounded by a seething mob of dirty, ugly, loud, abusive, obscene, smelly and toothless black and white supporters.  Almost without exception, they were drunk, smoking like chimneys, swearing like wharfies and even at this early stage of the day fighting amongst themselves.  Some of the men were just as bad.

We started well with the wind but the Pies had regained the lead by half-time.  The third quarter was all ours with eight goals and in the last, we kicked another eight to finish all over them by nine goals.  Having kept very, very quiet all day for fear of attracting the wrong sort of attention, the beers (ice-cold cans!) finally got the better of me and this is when I did the craziest thing in my life.

As Mark 'Jacko' Jackson kicked his seventh to seal victory, I let rip with a loud "Go Demons!!".  Things then went eerily quiet in the outer as hundreds of pairs of beady eyes bored into us.  I looked at my mate, he nodded and we turned and ran as fast as we could towards the exit and kept going all the way to Johnstone Street where we jumped on the first bus we found.  It didn't matter that it was heading in the wrong direction, we just wanted to get away from that horrible joint.  Only my drycleaner will know just how frightened I was that day.

Gosh that ground was horrible. The toilets were disgusting. I always wanted to go home and dive into a tub of disinfectant. They were such sore losers there. No one had the right to barrack for any team except theirs. So glad they lost the last game there. I remember the media and To y Shaw making a big deal about it. Suffer Collingbog.

Edited by Cassiew
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stretch Johnson said:

A good year would help solidify the relationship. 

I  hope he doesn't end up resenting me... as the [censored] who converted me to the fees. 

We will play finals SJ he will be wrapped.

Caught the train down from Sydney to Melbourne to watch us lose the 88 Grand Final by a then record margin. 

Pulled a bird on the train ride down so wasn't a complete was of time. 

Was a long, lonely and painful 14 hour ride home though!

• Like 1

88 grand final day was in a Cessna 210 force landing (crash) at Shepparton en route from Sydney to Melbourne (all the commercial airlines were booked out on the way down). It’s amazing what you can do in autopilot when you’re in shock. We hired a wagon to get us to the game (pilot had to stay behind of course). Got there despite the injury list; one of us having concussion (although not knocked out), the bloke next to me had broken his ribs, i had torn the muscles in my back. The other two occupants were fine.

It wasn’t all bad though, if my memory serves me correctly, didn’t we kick the first point?

Then, flying back on Ansett, they’d left some oil on the air conditioning unit so as we were taking off the cabin began to fill with smoke.

Next GF we’re in I’m taking the tram!

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Shocked 1

16 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

That's the coppers for you, always throwing the victim in the divvy van.

7 hours ago, TRIGON said:

88 grand final day was in a Cessna 210 force landing (crash) at Shepparton en route from Sydney to Melbourne (all the commercial airlines were booked out on the way down). It’s amazing what you can do in autopilot when you’re in shock. We hired a wagon to get us to the game (pilot had to stay behind of course). Got there despite the injury list; one of us having concussion (although not knocked out), the bloke next to me had broken his ribs, i had torn the muscles in my back. The other two occupants were fine.

It wasn’t all bad though, if my memory serves me correctly, didn’t we kick the first point?

Then, flying back on Ansett, they’d left some oil on the air conditioning unit so as we were taking off the cabin began to fill with smoke.

Next GF we’re in I’m taking the tram!

At lot of things can be taken from the 1988 grand final, that a lot of people forget...

That newscaster flipping the coin saying who would win and it was Melbourne; Noel Watson’s rendition of ‘Waltzing Matldah’; for the first few minutes, it was actually exciting; the big brawl; we actually did lead for one point briefly in the first quarter; that Hawthorn player breaking his wrist; the torrid rain; after the second quarter, we got the first goal and it seemed like it was back within reach; the halftime bicentennial celebration entertainment were phenomenal; the third quarter was by far our best, only losing by 7 points; the coaching staff, climbing out of the window before the game ended; we were shocking with kicking 6.26. Who knows, if they had been goals, it could have supurred us into a winning attitude; Robbie Flowers face, when he had to present the Hawks winning medals; yet he did it with dignity and grace.

I’m sad in our history of Melbourne fc dvd, after 1987, they cut immediantly to the 1988 grand final. The journey there was phenomenal. Beating Collingwood in a final. The one against a west Coast. The preliminary final was one of the best days ever. Sadly 1988 seems to get lost when compared to 1987. They do all the build us and grand final preparations on the DVD for our gf against Essendon in 2000. It’s not like we did a hell of a lot better in that gf.

Edited by Cassiew
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cassiew said:

At lot of things can be taken from the 1988 grand final, that a lot of people forget...

That newscaster flipping the coin saying who would win and it was Melbourne; Noel Watson’s rendition of ‘Waltzing Matldah’; for the first few minutes, it was actually exciting; the big brawl; we actually did lead for one point briefly in the first quarter; that Hawthorn player breaking his wrist; the torrid rain; after the second quarter, we got the first goal and it seemed like it was back within reach; the halftime bicentennial celebration entertainment were phenomenal; the third quarter was by far our best, only losing by 7 points; the coaching staff, climbing out of the window before the game ended; we were shocking with kicking 6.26. Who knows, if they had been goals, it could have supurred us into a winning attitude; Robbie Flowers face, when he had to present the Hawks winning medals; yet he did it with dignity and grace.

I’m sad in our history of Melbourne fc dvd, after 1987, they cut immediantly to the 1988 grand final. The journey there was phenomenal. Beating Collingwood in a final. The one against a west Coast. The preliminary final was one of the best days ever. Sadly 1988 seems to get lost when compared to 1987. They do all the build us and grand final preparations on the DVD for our gf against Essendon in 2000. It’s not like we did a hell of a lot better in that gf.

I scored a really good shag after the 1988 GF, it is all i remember of that foul day. 

I was locked in a room at work with 3 Whorethorn Supporter who laughed their way through the game, already planning the ‘89 celebrations. I am not joking. 

After the cup had been presented ithe door was opened....

And people wonder why i hate Whorethorn with such vengeful spite. 

If the merger had gone through I would have committed murder....

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I scored a really good shag after the 1988 GF, it is all i remember of that foul day. 

I was locked in a room at work with 3 Whorethorn Supporter who laughed their way through the game, already planning the ‘89 celebrations. I am not joking. 

After the cup had been presented ithe door was opened....

And people wonder why i hate Whorethorn with such vengeful spite. 

If the merger had gone through I would have committed murder....

Shag means root, I assume.

Lol probably not really on my mind at that age. I was more excited about going to see world expo at that time.

Dad set up the tv in his garage. Bought lollies and soft drinks and we all sat around. Had trouble hearing when the rain started, but it didn’t last long. Hard to keep interest in half time. We switched to the Olympics each quarter break. Think I even went outside to jump on the trampoline at half time ads, but saw the impressive halftime show (the highlight of the day for me). Dad made us watch it to the end. Soon after it was over, he switched the tv off. He reminded us that making a grand final is no mean feat and we should be glad we got to see ourselves in one. Pretty miserable day. I ending up sleeping at a friends house. I start to appreciate what he said to me that day. In 2000, I appreciated it a lot more as an adult. While I’m still disapointed I haven’t seen a premiership, I’m glad to see us at least get there on the big day twice. I’ll share my 2000 gf memories some other day. 

To make it up to us, he took us to the 1989 preseason grand final. Fantastic night.

Edited by Cassiew

All I remember from the 88 grannie was getting drenched sitting in the top deck of the Olympic stand and the streaker in the 3rd quarter. Looking along the row at all the dejected dees’ supporters who suddenly became interested in the spectacle was bloody funny

Edited by small but forward
Wrong year. Blocked from memory
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ok, I didn’t want to admit this, but as a bet against losing to the Saints a few years ago, I had to walk into the men’s toilets. Was promptly told to “f... off”, which was fair enough. Apologised and got out immediantly. Dont think of me as a pervert. It was only for a bet and I was pretty drunk. Would NEVER do it again. If anyone was there, I’m SO sorry.

Edited by Cassiew

1 hour ago, Cassiew said:

Ok, I didn’t want to admit this, but as a bet against losing to the Saints a few years ago, I had to walk into the men’s toilets. Was promptly told to “f... off”, which was fair enough. Apologised and got out immediantly. Dont think of me as a pervert. It was only for a bet and I was pretty drunk. Would NEVER do it again. If anyone was there, I’m SO sorry.

BBO does that regularly at the G. Intentionally.

Nothing to apologise for there Cassie 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

BBO does that regularly at the G. Intentionally.

Nothing to apologise for there Cassie 

?