• Latest Podcast: Rd 01 Port Adelaide

Cassiew

Retro gear

I like how they’ve resuscitated the black and white Demon from the 80’s on retro gear as I grew up with it. I would like to also see the Demon logo from 1989-1994 on some retro stuff they release this year. That was a superb logo and I don’t think we gave it enough chance. My brother had a flag of it and it was amazing flying it at games. I was never a fan of the ‘clean shaven’ demon logo from 1996-2007 and frankly I think we held on to it too long. The next was was ok, but not given a chance and soon discarded. What does everyone else think?

1D23526C-7B25-46E7-B8BA-235D34162CD4.gif

Edited by Cassiew
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cassiew said:

I like how they’ve resuscitated the black and white Demon from the 80’s on retro gear as I grew up with it. I would like to also see the Demon logo from 1989-1994 on some retro stuff they release this year. That was a superb logo and I don’t think we gave it enough chance. My brother had a flag of it and it was amazing flying it at games. I was never a fan of the ‘clean shaven’ demon logo from 1996-2007 and frankly I think we held on to it too long. The next was was ok, but not given a chance and soon discarded. What does everyone else think?

1D23526C-7B25-46E7-B8BA-235D34162CD4.gif

I always liked the 70s logo.

21577289_762310060607179_534083775436632

I wouldn't mind one of these on a hoodie.

I always felt the early 90s logo you have pictured lacked an identity for want of a better word.

• Like 1

got to say, have always loved the demon in all its incarnations.

compared to the soccer club logo and the drink coaster logo, the demon says it all in footy terms.

the marketing department might want to identify with the city of Melbourne, but in footy terms it leaves me cold.

to quote Checker Hughes "I want you to fight like demons"" 

22 minutes ago, stitches said:

I always liked the 70s logo.

21577289_762310060607179_534083775436632

I wouldn't mind one of these on a hoodie.

I always felt the early 90s logo you have pictured lacked an identity for want of a better word.

My younger brother had this as a mobile in his room

11 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

Probably in the minority, but I still love the Schwab-designed "shield" logo the most of all the above.

I liked it at the time but looking back it was a mess.

We should never have changed from this one:

Melbourne-logo-2005.gif

At the very least we should have just tweaked it like we did for this clash jumper that lasted about five minutes:

Melbourne-White-2010.gif

4 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I think it was a bit busy, but could've easily been neatened up.  Still think it's the best though, but it's a personal taste thing.

38 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Melbourne-logo-2005.gif

At the very least we should have just tweaked it like we did for this clash jumper that lasted about five minutes:

Melbourne-White-2010.gif

Sorry to disagree, but that was the worst we ever had. Bald, unshaven, emotionless Demon. We had that one FAR too long, it was beginning to be like Collingbog never changing their boring logo. My brothers both disagree, but I never liked that one. I liked the “cheeky” Demon pictured below, even if it was never part of our emblem. My nephew has it on his jumper.

1065DFF9-8EAA-4DB5-A564-E21DEDDE4415.jpeg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Melbourne-logo-2005.gif

Melbourne-White-2010.gif

Schwabs shield was a mess.
The writing of rules in the background was rubbish.
No good having it there if ya can't read it.
Surely he didn't actually design it himself.

• Like 1

Wasn’t it gotten rid of because it resembled some soccer logo (not being a soccer fan, I don’t know). I’m really interested who else would love to see the 1989-1994 logo appear on retro gear. I’m not suggesting that it’s better than any other. I think it’s FANTASTIC they’ve bought the black and white demon for nostalgia purposes. I do think though, since they’re doing that, why not some other old logos? I do think bald demon and the one from 2008 are a bit too recent to be concidered retro. I like the 2008 but to me it brings up memories of wooden spoons, not that it seems the logos fault by any means.

4 minutes ago, Cassiew said:

Wasn’t it gotten rid of because it resembled some soccer logo (not being a soccer fan, I don’t know). I’m really interested who else would love to see the 1989-1994 logo appear on retro gear. I’m not suggesting that it’s better than any other. I think it’s FANTASTIC they’ve bought the black and white demon for nostalgia purposes. I do think though, since they’re doing that, why not some other old logos? I do think bald demon and the one from 2008 are a bit too recent to be concidered retro. I like the 2008 but to me it brings up memories of wooden spoons, not that it seems the logos fault by any means.

I'm more concerned that things from the 90s are now considered "retro".

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Serious? Absolutely no resemblance. Other than a shield.

I believe the idea was copied from those old European soccer teams style. 

No, that can’t be right. I mean our logos were in a sheid. Again, I hate soccer, so I can’t say. I just heard that’s why

• Like 1

Yeah but... a shield isn’t an idea, it’s a “device”. Like squares, circles, colours, words. Hence we replaced it with another shield.

Just now, General Malaise said:

Yeah but... a shield isn’t an idea, it’s a “device”. Like squares, circles, colours, words. Hence we replaced it with another shield.

That doesn’t make any sense. There’s no court in the world that would rule in favour of Barcelona if they tried to take us to court over it. It’s merely a shield and that’s the only resemblance to is it was that it’s a shield and our pre-1995 ones were shields 

I’m AGREEING with you Mr Malaise

Oh. Sorry I thought you were DISagreeing, that’s usually the case when people  respond to me with “that doesn’t make any sense.”

It happens a fair bit, and they’re usually right.

Edited by General Malaise

As long as were both in agreement that the logo doesn’t resemble that soccer logo.

I liked it but if it IS coped from some soccer club, I’d rather not have it. I’d like to keep soccer as far away from football as possible. 

I’d just like to see the 1989-1994 Logo make an appearance on some retro gear. I’m not suggesting we go back to it. I mean the black and white got 1977-1988, bald demon got (two incarnations but the same thing) 1995-2007. Poor 1989 logo got a mere 6 years. What was so bad with the 2008 logo that it got the boot so quick? If the soccer rumour is true, we know why it got booted. And that brings us to our current logo.