Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Peter Jackson Interview



Recommended Posts

Ill just leave this little gem here , and let you salivate.

Is being reported Ollie is LESS likely than supposed to sign a new contract at Port.

Have no doubt sources and rumours will start appearing out of the woodwork soon.

Memo to MFC...get Ollie....fix the [censored] UP !!!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Frustrated Demon said:

What would we trade? Is the question.

Jack Watts, Trengove, Toumpas and a 2nd round pick.

  • Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As good a player as Ollie is I don't see him as a priority.

If we have a weakness it is a bit of outside class & that's not him.

Pity we didn't pick him up when we had the chance but that horse has long bolted.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be very surprised if he left port, although there list management last trade period might have emptied the bank, he could command big bucks somewhere like Carlton or saints 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, praha said:

Jack Watts, Trengove, Toumpas and a 2nd round pick.

I’d rather keep the second rounder and maybe throw in Dom Barry as the sweetener.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, deeko said:

I’d rather keep the second rounder and maybe throw in Dom Barry as the sweetener.

Beat me to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rjay said:

As good a player as Ollie is I don't see him as a priority.

If we have a weakness it is a bit of outside class & that's not him.

Pity we didn't pick him up when we had the chance but that horse has long bolted.

Why not both?  If we're into Ollie Wines, then i'd think he would be viewed as an upgrade on Tyson, Brayshaw, Salem or ANB. And that's who we'd trade for him with a draft picks. If we were good enough to make the finals this year, but limited in what we could serve up and subsequently departed in week 1 or week 2, then we'd be looking to upgrade on the firepower at our disposal imo. Have to be ruthless with who we'd need to give them. 

As for outside run, i don't see many that are worth too much, and we'd only need to arrange the cap space and lose something not really that valuable in terms of draft pick/trade or get them through free agency.

I think this year may reveal a few list suprises that could cover for this supposed dire need for outside run too.

Edit: The club used the sample principle in acquiring Harrison Petty, pick quality if its available. Work out how to shuffle around the rest of the list after.

Edited by Doodle Dee
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gaaawd how some here like to pick scabs, fester and create more open wounds.

We had our chance drafted an absolute Dud in Toumpas and blew to the shizen a golden opportunity.

Horse has bolted GONE NEVER TO RETURN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Send Jack Viney to Adelaide for a “coupla days”

a quiet word with his mate

Mark Neeld has long gone...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Non-story imo.

I heard Tom McDonald say the same thing last contract.

Perhaps the club has made a lowball offer, if anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Non-story imo.

I heard Tom McDonald say the same thing last contract.

Perhaps the club has made a lowball offer, if anything.

It all comes down to what they paid to get Rockliff, Motlop and Watts over.  They paid through the nose to get Dixon on a long term deal a couple of years ago... maybe the purse is looking a little bit tight over at PA??  

It was said to be a 'low ball offer' that initially opened the door to negotiations with Lever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad we cleared Watts off the books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, GCDee said:

Glad we cleared Watts off the books.

We had a fair crack at Ollie last time he was out of contract. Think he knows we are interested. Kid can win his own football and thats the key criteria you need in todays game.  

This time its also a little different, Port have bet the farm on Watts, Motlop & Rockliff, we are an up & coming force. Plus last time when in negotiations I got the feeling - Ollie is not all about the $$$$. 

Port this time also have Boak, Polec, Westoff plus a few more big names up for debate. Much will come down to their on-field performance. Interesting times ahead - Can Port retain them all with a poor on-field performance. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i expect he'll stay and be made their captain

i'd have him, absolutely, but i think in order to entice him to leave you'd be paying big $$ and quite frankly we have other priorities

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

It all comes down to what they paid to get Rockliff, Motlop and Watts over.  They paid through the nose to get Dixon on a long term deal a couple of years ago... maybe the purse is looking a little bit tight over at PA??  

It was said to be a 'low ball offer' that initially opened the door to negotiations with Lever.

And you don't think our purse will be tight when Oliver, Trac, Gawn and Hogan are next our of contract?

Let's not forget they paid SFA for Watts, which was made even less given we are paying part of his contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

And you don't think our purse will be tight when Oliver, Trac, Gawn and Hogan are next our of contract?

Let's not forget they paid SFA for Watts, which was made even less given we are paying part of his contract.

Yes... but free agents, particularly ones from interstate, always come at a premium.  Like I said, it depends on whether or not they paid 'overs' when they brought these experienced players in.  If they have managed their cap sensibly, then they have nothing to worry about.  If they 'pulled an Adelaide' and spent a fortune on retaining a player like Jenkins, then they might be in a bit of trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ollie ship sailed by us years ago. We chose Jimmy's dingy instead.

I suspect OW was gutted by his rejection by our lowly club and it would take 2 lifetimes for him to ever look at us again, except in contempt.

Demons fans looking for a goldilocks contract outcome may be very disappointed.

In my view we need to move on, just as we had to do with Liam J.

What an exciting team we could have had, IF ONLY (those two fateful words) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Yes... but free agents, particularly ones from interstate, always come at a premium.  Like I said, it depends on whether or not they paid 'overs' when they brought these experienced players in.  If they have managed their cap sensibly, then they have nothing to worry about.  If they 'pulled an Adelaide' and spent a fortune on retaining a player like Jenkins, then they might be in a bit of trouble.

I would be horribly surprised if they paid overs for any of the three they brought in.  Geelong (Motlop) and Brisbane (Rockliffe) wanted both players gone, and we were the same, so much so that we are still paying part of his contract.

You've allowed yourself to believe what you read in the many articles about the Power's recruiting/trade "bonanza" at the end of last season.  They picked up 3 players that weren't wanted by their original club because of a range of issues, and if you want to add Trengove (who I sincerely hope gets to play senior footy), it was a cheap risk that hasn't made them any better.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Yes... but free agents, particularly ones from interstate, always come at a premium.  Like I said, it depends on whether or not they paid 'overs' when they brought these experienced players in.  If they have managed their cap sensibly, then they have nothing to worry about.  If they 'pulled an Adelaide' and spent a fortune on retaining a player like Jenkins, then they might be in a bit of trouble.

You have to ignore Chazz he has no idea what he is talking about.

Both Rockliff & Motlop netted 1st Round compensation picks to their original clubs so you are right they did come at a premium in salary cap space. Watts we moved on to help clean up space in 2019 cap - there are a few very interesting options on the table at the end of this year.

Could be a very interesting time ahead in the player movement space for a relatively young and up & coming list - our timing could well be impeccable for once. 

Much will depend on Ports on-field performance ie How deep, deep they go into September

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

I would be horribly surprised if they paid overs for any of the three they brought in.  Geelong (Motlop) and Brisbane (Rockliffe) wanted both players gone, and we were the same, so much so that we are still paying part of his contract.

You've allowed yourself to believe what you read in the many articles about the Power's recruiting/trade "bonanza" at the end of last season.  They picked up 3 players that weren't wanted by their original club because of a range of issues, and if you want to add Trengove (who I sincerely hope gets to play senior footy), it was a cheap risk that hasn't made them any better.

Paddy Ryder was reported to have crossed over for 700K

Rockliff over 650K per season

Dixon over 620K per season

Motlop is over 500K per season

That's not exactly poo-change.  But I'm not saying they have mis-managed their cap, I'm saying it is possible that they have.  If they've been sensible with their contracts (like Geelong/Hawthorn) then they won't have a problem re-signing Wines.  If they've got carried away, which offering huge contracts to Hamish Hartlett and Matthew Lobbe suggests they may be inclined to do, then they could find it difficult to meet Wines' realistic demands.

Time will tell...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Paddy Ryder was reported to have crossed over for 700K

Rockliff over 650K per season

Dixon over 620K per season

Motlop is over 500K per season

That's not exactly poo-change.  But I'm not saying they have mis-managed their cap, I'm saying it is possible that they have.  If they've been sensible with their contracts (like Geelong/Hawthorn) then they won't have a problem re-signing Wines.  If they've got carried away, which offering huge contracts to Hamish Hartlett and Matthew Lobbe suggests they may be inclined to do, then they could find it difficult to meet Wines' realistic demands.

Time will tell...

 

Well said plus they have Boak, Polec, Gray & Westoff up - they have bet the farm. Good luck to them - they might need it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is he does decide to leave we will be into this up to our proverbial.

With the Vineys, close family friends, no doubt discussions will be had.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×