Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Fremantle



Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, DaveyDee said:

You have to ignore Chazz he has no idea what he is talking about.

Both Rockliff & Motlop netted 1st Round compensation picks to their original clubs so you are right they did come at a premium in salary cap space. Watts we moved on to help clean up space in 2019 cap - there are a few very interesting options on the table at the end of this year.

Could be a very interesting time ahead in the player movement space for a relatively young and up & coming list - our timing could well be impeccable for once. 

Much will depend on Ports on-field performance ie How deep, deep they go into September

In the compensation formula, how much does a player's contract have to be worth to be deemed a 1st round compo pick?

Let's not forget we got a 1st round pick for Frawley - his contract was around the $450k mark.

28 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Paddy Ryder was reported to have crossed over for 700K

Rockliff over 650K per season

Dixon over 620K per season

Motlop is over 500K per season

That's not exactly poo-change.  But I'm not saying they have mis-managed their cap, I'm saying it is possible that they have.  If they've been sensible with their contracts (like Geelong/Hawthorn) then they won't have a problem re-signing Wines.  If they've got carried away, which offering huge contracts to Hamish Hartlett and Matthew Lobbe suggests they may be inclined to do, then they could find it difficult to meet Wines' realistic demands.

Time will tell...

 

The avg AFL salary is $371k - not exactly "poo-change" either.  With the cap at some $12m+, $500k a season isn't a lot for a middle tier player.

We have no idea how much each player is on, and by "we", I mean the media too.  But sure, use their "reports" to help your argument if you wish, I just won't give your side any credit if you do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

In the compensation formula, how much does a player's contract have to be worth to be deemed a 1st round compo pick?

Let's not forget we got a 1st round pick for Frawley - his contract was around the $450k mark.

The avg AFL salary is $371k - not exactly "poo-change" either.  With the cap at some $12m+, $500k a season isn't a lot for a middle tier player.

We have no idea how much each player is on, and by "we", I mean the media too.  But sure, use their "reports" to help your argument if you wish, I just won't give your side any credit if you do.

Dr. Who knows everything...apparently....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chazz said:

In the compensation formula, how much does a player's contract have to be worth to be deemed a 1st round compo pick?

Let's not forget we got a 1st round pick for Frawley - his contract was around the $450k mark.

The avg AFL salary is $371k - not exactly "poo-change" either.  With the cap at some $12m+, $500k a season isn't a lot for a middle tier player.

We have no idea how much each player is on, and by "we", I mean the media too.  But sure, use their "reports" to help your argument if you wish, I just won't give your side any credit if you do.

can't be.

44 x $371k = $16.324M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

can't be.

44 x $371k = $16.324M

surely that is 40 x $371k +rookies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chazz said:

In the compensation formula, how much does a player's contract have to be worth to be deemed a 1st round compo pick?

Let's not forget we got a 1st round pick for Frawley - his contract was around the $450k mark.

The avg AFL salary is $371k - not exactly "poo-change" either.  With the cap at some $12m+, $500k a season isn't a lot for a middle tier player.

We have no idea how much each player is on, and by "we", I mean the media too.  But sure, use their "reports" to help your argument if you wish, I just won't give your side any credit if you do.

My 'argument' being that it's possible that they have a tight salary cap after spending 2-2.5 million of a 12 million cap to bring over 4 players from an opposition clubs... it's not a huge reach.

Leaves 10 million for the remainder of the list, including Boak, Gray, Wingard, Polec, Hartlett, Westhoff, Pittard, Ebert, Powell-Pepper and Ollie Wines.

Polec, Westhoff, Wines, Gray, Boak and Byrnes-Jones, Neade and Wines all out of contract this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

surely that is 40 x $371k +rookies

i'm not sure if rookies are totally outside the cap

nevertheless 40 x $371k = $14.84m which is appreciably over the cap

Edit: the 371k the afl have quoted is fakenews. it is obviously based on some subset of players, which they don't explain when stating.

Edited by daisycutter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Paddy Ryder was reported to have crossed over for 700K

Rockliff over 650K per season

Dixon over 620K per season

Motlop is over 500K per season

That's not exactly poo-change.  But I'm not saying they have mis-managed their cap, I'm saying it is possible that they have.  If they've been sensible with their contracts (like Geelong/Hawthorn) then they won't have a problem re-signing Wines.  If they've got carried away, which offering huge contracts to Hamish Hartlett and Matthew Lobbe suggests they may be inclined to do, then they could find it difficult to meet Wines' realistic demands.

Time will tell...

 

 

this is the problem , when Like Crows they low balled some players 

time will tell but Wines has to be worth as much if not more than most you have mentioned 

he will get way more if he returns to Vic ... time will tell

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Chazz said:

In the compensation formula, how much does a player's contract have to be worth to be deemed a 1st round compo pick?

Let's not forget we got a 1st round pick for Frawley - his contract was around the $450k mark.

 

i think you might find Frawley got closer to 750 a year , he was one of the highest paid players at Hawthorn . in the top 5. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, markc said:

 

this is the problem , when Like Crows they low balled some players 

time will tell but Wines has to be worth as much if not more than most you have mentioned 

he will get way more if he returns to Vic ... time will tell

 

The beautiful thing is I doubt it is going to be about returning to Victoria or the money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Houston we have a problem.  I was one firmly in the camp that getting Lever was fantastic but IMHO given Crows wanted Gibbs etc etc we should never have given away this years first round pick and it will come back to bite us on the arse.

What do we have to give to Port now if he wants to come to us?  We can't give them next year's first rounder because we have to use it to meet the one first round pick in 4 years rule. He's certainly worth a first rounder especially in this year's bumper draft. 

If Jesse went back to Perth we'd have one. But short of that we won't. So all we'll have is players. Tyson and ANB come to mind. I wouldn't think ANB on his own even with a second round pick would be enough. Tyson wouldn't be. Do we want to give up ANB and/or Tyson anyway for what OW brings. 

Without this year's first rounder I don't see how we get this done for any value that would make sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, It's Time said:

Houston we have a problem.  I was one firmly in the camp that getting Lever was fantastic but IMHO given Crows wanted Gibbs etc etc we should never have given away this years first round pick and it will come back to bite us on the arse.

What do we have to give to Port now if he wants to come to us?  We can't give them next year's first rounder because we have to use it to meet the one first round pick in 4 years rule. He's certainly worth a first rounder especially in this year's bumper draft. 

If Jesse went back to Perth we'd have one. But short of that we won't. So all we'll have is players. Tyson and ANB come to mind. I wouldn't think ANB on his own even with a second round pick would be enough. Tyson wouldn't be. Do we want to give up ANB and/or Tyson anyway for what OW brings. 

Without this year's first rounder I don't see how we get this done for any value that would make sense. 

Wait for the season to play out Grasshopper.  

Much will happen...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be too much of a lateral thought to just hope and pray that Viney is OK........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

My 'argument' being that it's possible that they have a tight salary cap after spending 2-2.5 million of a 12 million cap to bring over 4 players from an opposition clubs... it's not a huge reach.

Leaves 10 million for the remainder of the list, including Boak, Gray, Wingard, Polec, Hartlett, Westhoff, Pittard, Ebert, Powell-Pepper and Ollie Wines.

Polec, Westhoff, Wines, Gray, Boak and Byrnes-Jones, Neade and Wines all out of contract this year.

Never heard of front/backloading contracts?

You are questioning experts in their field, all while using media reports as part of your weaponry. Truly amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, It's Time said:

Houston we have a problem.  I was one firmly in the camp that getting Lever was fantastic but IMHO given Crows wanted Gibbs etc etc we should never have given away this years first round pick and it will come back to bite us on the arse.

What do we have to give to Port now if he wants to come to us?  We can't give them next year's first rounder because we have to use it to meet the one first round pick in 4 years rule. He's certainly worth a first rounder especially in this year's bumper draft. 

If Jesse went back to Perth we'd have one. But short of that we won't. So all we'll have is players. Tyson and ANB come to mind. I wouldn't think ANB on his own even with a second round pick would be enough. Tyson wouldn't be. Do we want to give up ANB and/or Tyson anyway for what OW brings. 

Without this year's first rounder I don't see how we get this done for any value that would make sense. 

If Hogan Left for WA we would have 2 first rounders min. Lever and Gibbs both cost 2 and good young forwards are harder to find. But if that did play out I wouldn't be surprised if they send both picks and a sack of gold straight to GCS for Lynch to try and replace him.

Edited by Deeztroy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

Never heard of front/backloading contracts?

You are questioning experts in their field, all while using media reports as part of your weaponry. Truly amazing.

You’re right!  No club has ever felt the salary cap squeeze and had to let a player go as they were not able to meet his demands!

It’s not as though Mumford had to leave Sydney to accommodate Franklyn?  

Mitchell and Lewis from Hawthorn to make room for O’Meara and Mitchell?

Lobbe’s trade last year to Carlton was so they could get his contract off the books to free up some cash for the free agents.

Ever wonder why GWS didn’t kick up when Treloar asked for a trade?? Because cap pressure meant they needed to lose someone.  His money went to Cameron and Sheil.

Famously Shane Woewodin was dumped by Melbourne to free up cap room.  

Bradshaw to Sydney to pay for Fevola.  

To retain Hird, Essendon cut Heffernan, Caracella and Blumfield in 2002.

Cap pressure (and release) is part of list management.  It’s why good teams always preach the virtues of getting paid ‘unders’ In exchange for success.  It is entirely absurd to argue otherwise.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

You’re right!  No club has ever felt the salary cap squeeze and had to let a player go as they were not able to meet his demands!

It’s not as though Mumford had to leave Sydney to accommodate Franklyn?  

Mitchell and Lewis from Hawthorn to make room for O’Meara and Mitchell?

Lobbe’s trade last year to Carlton was so they could get his contract off the books to free up some cash for the free agents.

Ever wonder why GWS didn’t kick up when Treloar asked for a trade?? Because cap pressure meant they needed to lose someone.  His money went to Cameron and Sheil.

Famously Shane Woewodin was dumped by Melbourne to free up cap room.  

Bradshaw to Sydney to pay for Fevola.  

To retain Hird, Essendon cut Heffernan, Caracella and Blumfield in 2002.

Cap pressure (and release) is part of list management.  It’s why good teams always preach the virtues of getting paid ‘unders’ In exchange for success.  It is entirely absurd to argue otherwise.

Think about it. Would they bring in Motlop and Rockliffe on big enough dollars to push one of their leaders, and best players, out of the club?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dees should send ollie an appology for not picking him over the spud doupas. He was "neelded". Who could we off load to port,ANB,Stretch,Melksham,Vince,Wagner,Kennedy Harris,Kent  etc. More Mongrel bring it on !!!!!. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

Think about it. Would they bring in Motlop and Rockliffe on big enough dollars to push one of their leaders, and best players, out of the club?

With that express intention?  No.

However they will be offering him well below market value.  They are banking that the talent they have brought in, at significant expense, will bring them immediate success.  This success, they’d be hoping, will make players accept much less money to stay.

If they are not successful this year (a flag or close to it) players will wonder why they are accepting less to stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Say the first thing that comes into your mind. Wines.

Toumpas.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ENYAW said:

The dees should send ollie an appology for not picking him over the spud doupas. He was "neelded". Who could we off load to port,ANB,Stretch,Melksham,Vince,Wagner,Kennedy Harris,Kent  etc. More Mongrel bring it on !!!!!. 

You, like my dear wife, is obviously a Polack. I like the word 'doupas'. Brings back memories...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Deeztroy said:

If Hogan Left for WA we would have 2 first rounders min. Lever and Gibbs both cost 2 and good young forwards are harder to find. But if that did play out I wouldn't be surprised if they send both picks and a sack of gold straight to GCS for Lynch to try and replace him.

OK, don't know how but you caught me. Fantasising that is. Lynch will be a free agent so no need to trade picks. Gaff is a free agent so no need to trade picks. Wines or possibly Sloane might be available and if Hogan left we could use his picks to get them. What an off season that'd be. 

However, let me say, I truly deeply hope Hoges stays. Mind you for various reasons we'v only seen glimpses of greatness. He hasn't arrived there yet. I think he will unless there's some overwhelming personal reason for going home. He would be kissing what's about to be a great run with as good a chance as any of a Premiership in the next say 3-5 years. He's grown up with the group who will be achieving that since he was 17yrs old. He'd be doing that to go to a team, Freo that is at the very beginning of a long rebuild that may or may not be successful many years in the future. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Wait for the season to play out Grasshopper.  How'd you know that's my real name?

Much will happen...    If Ethan's your Source I'll believe you. He makes up the best stuff on here.

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was speaking to a mate whose cousin is an up and comer at one of the big Melbourne based clubs and apparently many of the year 1 to 4 players are on between $150-250k, even with the new CBA. So I reckon our figures are all out of whack here. It's not as high as we'v always thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, It's Time said:

 

 

If Wines is coming to the Dees you’ll hear it here first. Sometimes trades come to me in my sleep, technically my brain gets the credit for those ones. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

If Wines is coming to the Dees you’ll hear it here first. Sometimes trades come to me in my sleep, technically my brain gets the credit for those ones. 

You’re my Source  for everything and anything  

Sometimes trades come to the Club in its sleep. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×