Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Un-sportsman like conduct

dino rover

In the NFL there is an unsportsmanlike conduct rule.

It impacts players who taunt or  humiliate opponents usually after the offender has scored or succeeded in play.

The behavior of afl players impacts kids who copy unsportsmanlike conduct. There is nothing sadder than kids taunting some guy who is already sick at getting beat.

Should there be an unsportsmanlike conduct rule in the AFL?

Edited by Grapeviney

I was thinking a little more taunting and humiliation would make the NFL slightly less boring to watch. 

Was it more prominent in the NFL than it ever has been in the AFL? I’ve never really noticed much taunting or humiliation by the players. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

I feel like the worst of the 'unsportsman-like conduct' in AFL comes from the administration.

The more commercial AFL gets, the less 'sporting' it becomes. 'Sporting' suggests an ethical, I suppose 'gentlemanly' approach to a contest - at least in my mind. The AFL itself has become so conflicted that it's not consistent with this principle.

I think the players, on the field at least, are pretty good as a whole. The administration however is a different beast.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, dino rover said:

It impacts players who taunt or  humiliate opponents usually after the offender has scored or succeeded in play.

The behavior of afl players impacts kids who copy unsportsmanlike conduct. There is nothing sadder than kids taunting some guy who is already sick at getting beat.

I'm not sure if we need a rule. Karma usually seems to work pretty well, especially given the cameras pretty much pick up everything and players are sanctimoniously and hypocritically criticised by the media for such behaviour.

32 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I'm not sure if we need a rule. Karma usually seems to work pretty well, especially given the cameras pretty much pick up everything and players are sanctimoniously and hypocritically criticised by the media for such behaviour.

and quite often praised/encouraged too.....which is part of the problem......often called 'flying the flag'

• Like 2

ive seen this come in a little in the AFL last year.  Players eg Daniher rustling an opponents hair or jumping on their back after scoring a goal on them.

you would think it is common decency to show a bit of respect but apparently not.  if things like this continue, it should be looked at but you'd hope clubs handle it in house.

surely we don't need a 'Dont be a [censored]' rule

It's an American cultural thing. But not really in a good way. A lot of it has a racial background that black athletes can't be trusted to be sporting. If not that there's also a huge paternalistic view that any athletes need discipline.

The issue the AFL has is that you now can't do anything to square up or shut up an opponent who is taunting you. Back in the good old days you crunch them at the next contest and even in recent years you could give them a jumper punch.

And if you don't focus on the physical square up it's also harder to win a one on one given the team and pressure nature of the game these days.

Still, it's not impossible to just play better and win the game, and that would still be my advice to encourage that rather than bring in overbearing rules.

As for the kids, I don't believe in making rules for adults sports purely on the desire for how kids should act. It's not up to AFL footballers to parent your child. Fair enough to outlaw violence and draw the line with sledging and obscene behaviour but it's still adults playing the game. 

I read an article recently can't remember where but it was about Roger Federer.  I can remember with the now great athlete carried on like Nick Kyrgios.  The article goes back to this point and the appointment of a new coach that his No1 think he taught Roger was Humility and respect, respect for the game and people with in the game.  The coach was in a car accident and died soon after taking over as coach.  It clicked with Roger and he worked hard on what this coach had started and made him the player he is today.

Every Junior coach of any sport should get this article pin it to the club rooms give it out to parents.  If you don't respect the game and your opponent and be humble in both victory and defeat you don't deserve to play the game.

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, drdrake said:

I read an article recently can't remember where but it was about Roger Federer.  I can remember with the now great athlete carried on like Nick Kyrgios.  The article goes back to this point and the appointment of a new coach that his No1 think he taught Roger was Humility and respect, respect for the game and people with in the game.  The coach was in a car accident and died soon after taking over as coach.  It clicked with Roger and he worked hard on what this coach had started and made him the player he is today.

Every Junior coach of any sport should get this article pin it to the club rooms give it out to parents.  If you don't respect the game and your opponent and be humble in both victory and defeat you don't deserve to play the game.

Can't "Like" this post enough. So I've copied it and said so.

4 hours ago, dino rover said:

I don'd disagree with this in theory, but practically there are issues.  This would be another hard to quantify rule leaving everything up to the interpretation of the umpires and/or MRP.  They are already notoriously inconsistent with their rulings.  How could you realistically expect them to apply this rule in a fair and even-handed manner?  Do you think you'd ever see a WC player cited in a home game?  Or a Hawthorn or Geelong player cited at all?  It would turn into another way to let the AFL's darlings walk all over the other teams while penalising anyone who dared to retaliate. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

I don'd disagree with this in theory, but practically there are issues.  This would be another hard to quantify rule leaving everything up to the interpretation of the umpires and/or MRP.  They are already notoriously inconsistent with their rulings.  How could you realistically expect them to apply this rule in a fair and even-handed manner?  Do you think you'd ever see a WC player cited in a home game?  Or a Hawthorn or Geelong player cited at all?  It would turn into another way to let the AFL's darlings walk all over the other teams while penalising anyone who dared to retaliate. 

You are probably correct.  The best solution would be for the commentators (and journos) to make pariahs of players who misbehave.  But sadly at the moment they applaud it loudly and proudly.  

• Like 1

When I was a lad at school we were told to applaud any good play by the opposition: a fine rule and one that should be followed in the AFL.

Imagine when Jack Whatts kicks a goal for Port against the Dee’s we clap and say “well played that lad” thus showing a level of sportsmanship not previously seen in professional sport supporting. 

And like the trickle down effect in economics the idea will catch on and be adopted by the whole of the AFL. The thought of young Weiderman kicking the winning goal on Queens Birthday and then being applauded by the Collingthingy army gives me goosebumps!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dee Dee said:

The thought of young Weiderman kicking the winning goal on Queens Birthday and then being applauded by the Collingthingy army gives me goosebumps!

You’ve got Buckley’s or none of that happening and I hope that’s the case. Personally I’d prefer the opposition supporters yell in anger before crying in sadness. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

I think the current rules are sufficient. No racial, homophobic or family stuff (i.e. The Murphy/Gilbert sledging and some of Will Missoni 'finer' work). Though can't be sure homophobic insults have been banned.

Usually, the karma bus comes back to bite on the absolute tools. While I'm no huge fan of Collingwood, it was gratifying to see them knock off Port in the 2002 qualifying and 2003 preliminary final after Kane Cornes' carry on during the 2002 regular season.

Wouldn't work in AFL I don't think. There's masses of umpires and video review going on in the NFL. It's a smaller ground and they have "plays"... it's not continuous. Putting it in use only for the most heinous things is also mostly a useless gesture. The Bugg thing for example, what difference would it make really... It's not like people miss these things. The Hogan one? Pretty bad too, but way behind the play and missed by everyone except the nearby fans and some dodgy camerawork. There are literally dozens of things the AFL could bring in, and are bringing in, before this one.

51 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

You’ve got Buckley’s or none of that happening and I hope that’s the case. Personally I’d prefer the opposition supporters yell in anger before crying in sadness. 

And here was I hoping the trickle down effect would go from supporter to player and good opposition play would be acknowledged on field keeping with the theme of this thread.

We don't need to copy the NFL except for perhaps having scantily clad cheerleaders.Which would give young girls proper role  models.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biffen said:

We don't need to copy the NFL except for perhaps having scantily clad cheerleaders.Which would give young girls proper role  models.

There's some at Albert Park looking for a job, Biff.  Can your Aunt drive a bus?  If so, tell her to do a quick lap of the lake, pick up any of them that are filling out Centrelink forms, and drop them off at AAMI Park.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2018 at 1:19 PM, dino rover said:

No the game is oversanitised already! 

2 hours ago, The Chazz said:

There's some at Albert Park looking for a job, Biff.  Can your Aunt drive a bus?  If so, tell her to do a quick lap of the lake, pick up any of them that are filling out Centrelink forms, and drop them off at AAMI Park.

And bring back the cigarette girls too.

Lets do it properly.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dee Dee said:

And like the trickle down effect in economics the idea will catch on and be adopted by the whole of the AFL. The thought of young Weiderman kicking the winning goal on Queens Birthday and then being applauded by the Collingthingy army gives me goosebumps!

So you're saying that upper management will spruik the idea to the media and tell everyone how successful it is while in reality nobody else takes it up and we are loudly mocked by the other clubs?