Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Fremantle



Demonland

AFLX PREMIERS!!!

Recommended Posts

Just another way for the AFL to continue their expectation of 12 months media saturation a year. It's like they have to be front or back page every day. 99% don't give a [censored] about footy while cricket season is on.

Guessing they will also be thinking that this will destroy rugby league and union everywhere but Queensland and NSW, although they would like to destroy it there too.

  • Like 1
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, old dee said:

Hunt and Milkshake are far too good to be risking in this otherwise looks like the players we should be using.

Will be interesting.

If we really are taking it seriously (I doubt it), then surely we will see a couple of our better players having a run.

I personally think those 2 would be ideally suited to this format.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to work out what the AFL will roll out next year.

Last year it was AFLW

This year it is AFLX

Maybe next year is AFLY

I'm sure the AFL marketing department will come out with a slogan something like "don't ask Y, ask Y not"

(this slogan seems to apply to their rule changing department, as well)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Will be interesting.

If we really are taking it seriously (I doubt it), then surely we will see a couple of our better players having a run.

I personally think those 2 would be ideally suited to this format.

Don't disagree with you. Probably sadly for me I just see this as a adistraction from the main game of getting the Dees into finals. Unfortunately the AFL don't check with me for my opinion unbelievable but true.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For many of us, its a sideshow and stunt. 

It's just another example of the way the game is now managed.

Increasingly, changes are introduced due to the massive TV and media deals that demand ever increasing advertising revenues and money flowing back to the footy industry. We see a game that increasingly is being influenced by marketing, media, merchandising and branding issues. Everyone wants a piece of the action and a piece of the financial pie. 

You really do wonder where it will end.

I suspect that the women's game is heading down the same path and that the freshness of the game and the joy of the players will soon disappear as the AFL and media squeeze the lemon to extract every last drop.

From a playing viewpoint, I can see no upside In regard to the AFLX,  

Just greater demands on the players and their bodies.  We see every year during the off season that it takes many players months to recover physically and mentally from the grueling past season. 

I fear injuries and the risk that poses for the season proper. 

I want a team injury free and fresh to go at the beginning of the season. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, old dee said:

Unfortunately the AFL don't check with me for my opinion unbelievable but true.

Geez that must be a blessing in disguise. Stay positive, and maybe consider a name change - rejuvenated dee!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is basicaly a casual pick up game with a few friends of radically different skill.

And what all such pick up games need is a lot of specific rules, a competitive framework, lots of hype, commercial linkages and, more than anything, they need to be a distraction from the main game.

Definitely a winner, this one.

Personally, this is the least interested I've ever been in anything where the Demons ran out supposedly representing their club.

I'd rather watch our team play soccer for an hour, just to see how they go at it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DaveyDee said:

Geez that must be a blessing in disguise. Stay positive, and maybe consider a name change - rejuvenated dee!!! 

I have supported the Dees in fact when they were the redlegs for 58 years DD not much chance of me changing anything now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silver ball.

"Zooper" goals

Soccer pitch.

Promo included 2 strange acrobatic men in striped tights. 

My level of disinterest couldn't be higher. Agree with Hemingway above. This is direct outcome of a game whose decision makers are fully focused on money and image. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hemingway said:

For many of us, its a sideshow and stunt. 

It's just another example of the way the game is now managed.

Increasingly, changes are introduced due to the massive TV and media deals that demand ever increasing advertising revenues and money flowing back to the footy industry. We see a game that increasingly is being influenced by marketing, media, merchandising and branding issues. Everyone wants a piece of the action and a piece of the financial pie. 

You really do wonder where it will end.

I suspect that the women's game is heading down the same path and that the freshness of the game and the joy of the players will soon disappear as the AFL and media squeeze the lemon to extract every last drop.

From a playing viewpoint, I can see no upside In regard to the AFLX,  

Just greater demands on the players and their bodies.  We see every year during the off season that it takes many players months to recover physically and mentally from the grueling past season. 

I fear injuries and the risk that poses for the season proper. 

I want a team injury free and fresh to go at the beginning of the season. 

If this is in anyway successful expect the season to increase in length and the main game to reduce. I can see the main season shrinking to around 18 games.

the union will not agree to more games unless the list size is increased and or paid more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Silver ball.

"Zooper" goals

Soccer pitch.

Promo included 2 strange acrobatic men in striped tights. 

My level of disinterest couldn't be higher. Agree with Hemingway above. This is direct outcome of a game whose decision makers are fully focused on money and image. 

fixed it for ya

aflx is a very strange image

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I for one am looking forward to it. More interesting than the jlt pre season games.

In terms of injury risk again i point out the aflx fixture replaces one jlt game. Only 14 players ate playing not 25 (with only 10 on the field) mean8ng less playets who can get hurt and more scope for not playing specific players (eg you can rest all talls, something that would be hard in the jlt). Also the games are shorter. So all in all less injury risk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, faultydet said:

Anyone having a guess at the 10 players for the first game?

Billy Stretch

Jake Melksham

James Harmes

Tom Bugg

Jay Kennedy-Harris

Jayden Hunt

Alex Neal-Bullen

Mitch Hannan

Joel Smith

Baily Fritch?

I think that's a very good prediction for selection.  I think Sam Frost could excel in this format with his pace and athleticism, and I'd be suprised if we didn't see Oscar Baker get a run.  Apart from giving fringe players a go, and building some fitness, I wonder what the coaches would be planning to get out of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, needafullback said:

I think that's a very good prediction for selection.  I think Sam Frost could excel in this format with his pace and athleticism, and I'd be suprised if we didn't see Oscar Baker get a run.  Apart from giving fringe players a go, and building some fitness, I wonder what the coaches would be planning to get out of it?

No injuries

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Limited over cricket has affected test cricket in a big way. I find the shorten version of the game lacking credibility. Lessening traditional skills and a bit of a bore.  I am seriously crossing my fingers this doesn't happen to traditional football too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2018 at 7:50 PM, Wiseblood said:

I'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere, but what are people's opinions on AFLX?

I'll be in honest in that I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to it - are others pumped for it?  Couldn't care less?  What's the general feeling?  I'll be watching because it's footy and Melbourne's playing, but outside of that I'm not sure I have much interest.

well since you ask

I reckon its the BIGGEST [censored]..   and for what..??? sfa ..thats what

It's a bastardised format. It's NOT footy..I couldnt care less about it...other..that god help any injuries..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFL T20

And im just as interested.

Which is not very.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, binman said:

I for one am looking forward to it. More interesting than the jlt pre season games.

In terms of injury risk again i point out the aflx fixture replaces one jlt game. Only 14 players ate playing not 25 (with only 10 on the field) mean8ng less playets who can get hurt and more scope for not playing specific players (eg you can rest all talls, something that would be hard in the jlt). Also the games are shorter. So all in all less injury risk.

Yep same here looking forward to it, something different and should be fast paced with lots of goals so I’m happy to give it a chance and pass judgement once it’s finished, I get the traditionalists not liking it, this will be popular with kids just as Big bash is

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2018 at 5:51 PM, Bitter but optimistic said:

If I happen to tune into this circus, even by mischance, I shall give myself a sound flogg ing.

Why wait?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, binman said:

I for one am looking forward to it. More interesting than the jlt pre season games.

In terms of injury risk again i point out the aflx fixture replaces one jlt game. Only 14 players ate playing not 25 (with only 10 on the field) mean8ng less playets who can get hurt and more scope for not playing specific players (eg you can rest all talls, something that would be hard in the jlt). Also the games are shorter. So all in all less injury risk.

While many of your points makes sense, you are effectively arguing for the elimination of all pre-season games.  No games = no injuries (during games)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, old dee said:

Hunt and Milkshake are far too good to be risking

Never thought anyone on this forum would be saying this after his first half of last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Never thought anyone on this forum would be saying this after his first half of last year.

You have no doubt heard the old one that " a week is a long time in politics" same applies to football. Rooster one week feather duster the next.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sue said:

While many of your points makes sense, you are effectively arguing for the elimination of all pre-season games.  No games = no injuries (during games)

I think you would find most coaches and clubs would happily not play any of the AFL sanctioned pre season games, precisely because of the risk of injury. The pre season games are icing on the TV right's cake.

Here's my tip. the AFLX will, from next year replace all of the pre season games. Clubs that want something close to a dress rehearsal will play modified intra club practice games (eg short quarters, 8-10 on the bench, using VFL players to fill teams etc etc) though i suspect some won't even do that. 

Because of the reduced risk of injury to players clubs, whilst no doubt preferring to play no pre season games at all, will likely prefer to play AFLX games only to a normal pre season games

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aflx is gotta be better than a summer of cricket...

TEAM 1

Back 2 ...... Wagner and Hunt

Mid 3...... Stretch Hogan(capt) and Bugg

Front 2 ..... Spargo and Hannan

Inerchange 3 .....Pedo JKH Harmes

TEAM 2

Reserve 4 ..... Fritsch Keilty Baker Melksham(capt)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/02/2018 at 3:34 PM, old dee said:

I have supported the Dees in fact when they were the redlegs for 58 years DD not much chance of me changing anything now.

I started a few decades before you Old Dee but at least I have been there for a few Premierships since the “Fuschias” ran out! ? Like you I am a Dee for life (but hoping to see another Premiership in my lifetime)!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×