Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

AFLX PREMIERS!!!

Demonland

Watch the highlights, and it looked as awful as I imagined it would be.

Is this rubbish replacing the NAB Cup?  

Edit -  no its not thank god, we still have a real footy fix coming very soon and the Dees are first up.  http://www.afl.com.au/fixture/jlt-community-series

Edited by Petraccattack

I was dubious but interested, but every positive feeling I did have was drowned in all that ridiculous razzamataz.   I despair of a world where it is believed that shooting flames and steam and flashing goal posts, music and commentary are essential elements for a sport's success.     Was this aimed at 6 year-olds?  Sadly, no - hence my despair.

I will be watching tonight just to see how the new Demon players look.  As  a footy tragic who is happy to watch almost any real AFL game regardless of who is playing, I would only watch an AFLX game involving the Dees.  I expect I am not alone.

As for a fun game to play with small numbers on a smaller field,  thank god we have the AFL to invent the official rules for what we used to do in neighbourhood scratch matches.  If only we'd had flashing light goal posts, sigh.....

The AFL would be wise to consider why Gaelic football is so much more interesting to watch (even without flashing goal posts and the odd tackle).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sroberts1982 said:

I have 4 free tickets if anyone wants to use them please contact me before 5pm

Welcome to Demonland bloke.

Or sheila. Whatever.

(pssst, I think it's Gil, trying to [censored] off some tickets to fill the stands. Be nice to him)

• Like 2

Not since the days of Melbourne getting smashed by 12+ goals, or the good old Freo flooding days, have I actually been bored watching a game of football.

It just had no excitement what so ever.

At least when we were getting smashed, the opposition was good to watch!

• Like 1

Having worked at Hindmarsh last night I have to agree with many here in saying its on of the more boring sporting expereinces I have come across., watching the Dees do circle work would have been more interesting.

The concept just does not work, let Cricket and Basketball have the razamataz.

2 hours ago, bandicoot said:

I disagree. This will go down as the biggest change the game has had since the national league was created.

Aflx address all the concerns the AFL have. 

1. There aren’t enough ovals for local leagues to utilize

2. Local leagues are struggling to get enough players to play. 7-8 aside is easier to form

3. It will open the game to more pjayers who would have retired post 30. Both in local and professional  leagues.

4. As the game is less physical it will open the game up to those that don’t want to get a battering every weekend 

5. Parents would more likely get their kids to play this game than the full vgame version

6. If the game is ever going to get traction overseas then this version will be it.

This is a master stroke from the AFL and shows why it’s the most successful sports operation in the country 

This game will never work unless there are some serious changes made. If we are trying to sell the game then sell the essence of it and don't make up something entirely different. The games last night resembled training drills from 20+ years ago, not a game of footy.

For one thing the ground is not long enough for the length of kicks, throttle back the ball somehow without it causing injury to the kicker (not sure how but...it can't be played as is on these size grounds), add more players on the ground (maybe 10 a side) and introduce the contest back into the game then maybe it could make it.

...also bring back ruck work, last touch doesn't work and tip off is a crock...

1 hour ago, rjay said:

This game will never work unless there are some serious changes made. If we are trying to sell the game then sell the essence of it and don't make up something entirely different. The games last night resembled training drills from 20+ years ago, not a game of footy.

For one thing the ground is not long enough for the length of kicks, throttle back the ball somehow without it causing injury to the kicker (not sure how but...it can't be played as is on these size grounds), add more players on the ground (maybe 10 a side) and introduce the contest back into the game then maybe it could make it.

...also bring back ruck work, last touch doesn't work and tip off is a crock...

In my belief AFLX is not trying to be a mini version of AFL ... it's a 'Different' version. Much like t20 is a different version of cricket.

Having said that I'd make it 8 or 9 a side,  dispense with the behinds and bring the goal posts closer together by a metre or 2.

That wouild make it harder to score and more of a contest. It's a bit too bruise free but I still don't mind it for a number of other reasons. 

Edited by Macca

At least T20 doesnt bastadise the core game. Last night wasnt footy. It was a training session with rainbow goalposts and steam.

It could work as a social game, where you cant get enough players or space for real AFL.

It will never work as a national (or international according to Gil, HA!) televised game.

That being said, will watch to see how the young fellas go tonight, then switch off as soon as MFC is done.

You're looking at it through the lens of a dyed in the wool AFL fanatic. The game isn't AFL, nor is it trying to be. It also isn't trying to win you over as a fan, either. 

It's a game that's easy to play, understand and run for spectators who aren't traditional AFL followers. It's an easy entry point for new markets. 

It's like a more forgiving version of AFL 9s, where the big barrier is the skill needed to keep the ball off the ground. If you've never played before then AFLX is much easier to start playing and watching.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, DSP said:

At least T20 doesnt bastadise the core game. Last night wasnt footy. It was a training session with rainbow goalposts and steam.

It could work as a social game, where you cant get enough players or space for real AFL.

It will never work as a national (or international according to Gil, HA!) televised game.

That being said, will watch to see how the young fellas go tonight, then switch off as soon as MFC is done.

Many Test cricket fans would vehemently disagree with your opening sentence.  However, the prejudice that Test cricket fans have with t20 cricket is ill-founded anyway. 

And this is coming from someone who's first love is Test cricket - and I don't watch the t20's.  Again,  I neither hate t20's nor do I see it as a threat to Test cricket. 

AFL fans should view AFLX in the same way ... it is not a threat nor will it ever be a threat.  We don't have a lot of sport going on in February so AFLX fills a void. 

And no one is compelled to watch it either. 

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Macca said:

In my belief AFLX is not trying to be a mini version of AFL ... it's a 'Different' version. Much like t20 is a different version of cricket.

Having said that I'd make it 8 or 9 a side,  dispense with the behinds and bring the goal posts closer together by a metre or 2.

That wouild make it harder to score and more of a contest. It's a bit too bruise free but I still don't mind it for a number of other reasons. 

45 minutes ago, Axis of Bob said:

You're looking at it through the lens of a dyed in the wool AFL fanatic. The game isn't AFL, nor is it trying to be. It also isn't trying to win you over as a fan, either. 

It's a game that's easy to play, understand and run for spectators who aren't traditional AFL followers. It's an easy entry point for new markets. 

It's like a more forgiving version of AFL 9s, where the big barrier is the skill needed to keep the ball off the ground. If you've never played before then AFLX is much easier to start playing and watching.

Surely you can see that no matter what you call it or do...

The game doesn't fit on a ground that size...the kicking is too long for the ground.

Other games that use this size ground either throw the ball or in the main kick it along the ground.

It will never work until the kicking issue is solved.

We can add more players, change the scoring, add zones...

It still won't fit.

37 minutes ago, rjay said:

The game doesn't fit on a ground that size...the kicking is too long for the ground.

Other games that use this size ground either throw the ball or in the main kick it along the ground.

It still won't fit.

I said right from the start that this version of the sport is aimed at the millennials much like t20 cricket is - and what is wrong with that?  The AFL would have known that CA has its eye on February for more Big Bash games so they've made a move of their own. 

And it will be family friendly too - another plus.  Dislike it all you like rjay but you are not really part of the target audience.  Neither am I for that matter. 

If only 20 - 25% of footy fans gravitate towards this version of the sport it will be a winner.  AFLX doesn't need all footy fans on board.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

If anyone's thinking of making a late trip down to Etihad, there are plenty of bean bags available behind the goals at the Lockett end.

They might even provide a stable table for your Hot Dog and Chips!!!

BTW, ANB is the only player I've seen on the ground so far ( for those remotely interested).

Edited by Demon77

12 minutes ago, rjay said:

It still won't fit.

It's a different game. A basketball can be thrown the full distance, a soccer ball kicked, an ice hockey puck hit, etc, etc. It doesn't make them bad games, but none of them are AFL. AFLX is about fast transitions, less congestion and higher scoring. It isn't about a dour defensive struggle. I'm sure purists ( especially prop forwards!) hate Rugby 7s, with the lack of scrums, tight defence, rucks, mauls and kicking penalties .... but a whole bunch of other people love it.

It isn't AFL; it's a different game. A game for a different audience.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Macca said:

I said right from the start that this version of the sport is aimed at the millennials much like t20 cricket is - and what is wrong with that?  The AFL would have known that CA has its eye on February for more Big Bash games so they've made a move of their own. 

And it will be family friendly too - another plus.  Dislike it all you like rjay but you are not really part of the target audience.  Neither am I for that matter. 

If only 20 - 25% of footy fans gravitate towards this version of the sport it will be a winner.  AFLX doesn't need all footy fans on board.

16 minutes ago, Axis of Bob said:

It's a different game. A basketball can be thrown the full distance, a soccer ball kicked, an ice hockey puck hit, etc, etc. It doesn't make them bad games, but none of them are AFL. AFLX is about fast transitions, less congestion and higher scoring. It isn't about a dour defensive struggle. I'm sure purists ( especially prop forwards!) hate Rugby 7s, with the lack of scrums, tight defence, rucks, mauls and kicking penalties .... but a whole bunch of other people love it.

It isn't AFL; it's a different game. A game for a different audience.

I get it's a different game, I just reckon if they can solve the ball/kicking problem it just might work.

...at the moment it doesn't.

4 minutes ago, rjay said:

I get it's a different game, I just reckon if they can solve the ball/kicking problem it just might work.

...at the moment it doesn't.

When t20 first appeared many wanted that version of cricket 'tweaked' but there has been no change from the original format. 

AFLX might get tweaked a bit but there again what we're seeing is perhaps how it will remain.  I tend to think that this original version is what it will be. 

I also think that too many are viewing the whole exercise in too serious a manner ... it's still Summer/February,  it's a quiet time of the year for sport and the players are not getting smashed about (as they will for the other 6 months of the season proper)