Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Sydney



Demonland

AFLX PREMIERS!!!

Recommended Posts

http://melbournefc.com.au/news/2018-01-24/aflx-fixture-revealed

AFLX – Tournament Two
Date: Friday 16 February
Time: 6.40pm AEDT
Venue: Etihad Stadium

Pool A: Carlton, Melbourne and North Melbourne
Pool B: Hawthorn, Essendon and St Kilda

Match Order and Timings:
6.40pm – Carlton v Melbourne
7.08pm – Hawthorn v Essendon
7.36pm – North Melbourne v Carlton
8.04pm – Essendon v St Kilda
8.32pm – Melbourne v North Melbourne
9.00pm – St Kilda v Hawthorn
9.33pm – Grand Final

UPDATE: Squad announced 13/2/18

AFLX.png

UPDATE: Spoiler Alert - We Won!!!

Image may contain: 12 people, people smiling, outdoor
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes!

We're  only two games away from a grand final.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere, but what are people's opinions on AFLX?

I'll be in honest in that I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to it - are others pumped for it?  Couldn't care less?  What's the general feeling?  I'll be watching because it's footy and Melbourne's playing, but outside of that I'm not sure I have much interest.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn’t care less about it @Wiseblood. That said, I’ll probably crack a beer, order a pizza and watch it. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Demonland said:

http://melbournefc.com.au/news/2018-01-24/aflx-fixture-revealed

AFLX – Tournament Two
Date: Friday 16 February
Time: 6.40pm AEDT
Venue: Etihad Stadium

Pool A: Carlton, Melbourne and North Melbourne
Pool B: Hawthorn, Essendon and St Kilda

Match Order and Timings:
6.40pm – Carlton v Melbourne
7.08pm – Hawthorn v Essendon
7.36pm – North Melbourne v Carlton
8.04pm – Essendon v St Kilda
8.32pm – Melbourne v North Melbourne
9.00pm – St Kilda v Hawthorn
9.33pm – Grand Final

how come 4 vic sides are lucky enough to get out of it?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere, but what are people's opinions on AFLX?

I'll be in honest in that I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to it - are others pumped for it?  Couldn't care less?  What's the general feeling?  I'll be watching because it's footy and Melbourne's playing, but outside of that I'm not sure I have much interest.

Not so much as in pumped, more eager to see some football as the season nears.

If the AFL want to dish this version first up, so be it, could be a fun night out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, daisycutter said:

how come 4 vic sides are lucky enough to get out of it?

All clubs are playing, dc.  It's done over a Thursday, Friday and Saturday night.  The other Vic clubs are playing on the other nights.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

how come 4 vic sides are lucky enough to get out of it?

Full Fixture:

Hindmarsh Stadium, Thurs Feb 15

Pool A: Port Adelaide, Geelong, Fremantle
Pool B: Adelaide, West Coast, Collingwood

Schedule (times in ACDT)
6.10pm – Port Adelaide v Geelong
6.38pm – Adelaide v Collingwood
7.06pm – Geelong v Fremantle
7.34pm – West Coast v Adelaide
8.02pm – Fremantle v Port Adelaide
8.30pm – Collingwood v West Coast
9.03pm – Grand Final

Etihad Stadium, Fri Feb 16

Pool A: Carlton, Melbourne, North Melbourne
Pool B: Hawthorn, Essendon, St Kilda

Schedule (times in AEDT)
6.40pm – Carlton v Melbourne
7.08pm – Hawthorn v Essendon
7.36pm – North Melbourne v Carlton
8.04pm – Essendon v St Kilda
8.32pm – Melbourne v North Melbourne
9.00pm – St Kilda v Hawthorn
9.33pm – Grand Final

Allianz Stadium, Sat Feb 17

Pool A: Greater Western Sydney, Richmond, Brisbane Lions
Pool B: Sydney, Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast

Schedule (times in AEDT)
4.10pm – GWS v Richmond
4.38pm – Sydney v Western Bulldogs
5.06pm – Richmond v Brisbane Lions
5.34pm – Western Bulldogs v Gold Coast
6.02pm – Brisbane Lions v GWS
6.30pm – Gold Coast v Sydney
7.03pm – Grand Final

D52FB9BE-DACF-46DA-82E7-F4D82BDD82C9.jpeg

8450425E-CBD8-4981-8192-2E7D53DB7912.jpeg

30544692-5B53-4FB4-B0C7-BE6437535A27.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere, but what are people's opinions on AFLX?

I'll be in honest in that I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to it - are others pumped for it?  Couldn't care less?  What's the general feeling?  I'll be watching because it's footy and Melbourne's playing, but outside of that I'm not sure I have much interest.

I'm struggling to get excited about the proper season, never mind AFLX.

Really hope that changes as we get closer to Round 1.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if AFLX provides a solution to the compromised draw that currently exists.  IF it proves to be a successful format I can see a scenario that would allow for all teams to play all other teams once in the AFLX format for premiership points in a compressed fixture over the first five weeks of the season.  (Perhaps these compressed games might need to be lengthened to provide a more meaningful contest)  From there all clubs play each other once in the conventional form of the game.  It solves a variety of problems to do with player fatigue and calendar congestion and means that the draw will be more even compared to the dogs-breakfast that it is today.  

I appreciate that AFLX is totally untried and reiterate that a presumption of this post is that it proves to be a working game format.  But could this hybrid form provide the answer to the fixture disaster that is the current AFL season.

Just an idea but it could work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Salems Lot said:

I wonder if AFLX provides a solution to the compromised draw that currently exists.  IF it proves to be a successful format I can see a scenario that would allow for all teams to play all other teams once in the AFLX format for premiership points in a compressed fixture over the first five weeks of the season.  (Perhaps these compressed games might need to be lengthened to provide a more meaningful contest)  From there all clubs play each other once in the conventional form of the game.  It solves a variety of problems to do with player fatigue and calendar congestion and means that the draw will be more even compared to the dogs-breakfast that it is today.  

I appreciate that AFLX is totally untried and reiterate that a presumption of this post is that it proves to be a working game format.  But could this hybrid form provide the answer to the fixture disaster that is the current AFL season.

Just an idea but it could work.

No it's a different game, why don't they play basketball for premiership points, that just as stupid idea as playing X for premiership points

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2018 at 5:33 AM, Roger Mellie said:

A few soccer style rules in there.

Dangerfield is gonna love it. 

C05Yb0e9_jdOnEkrSt6TY45mVoEgJ_3znqE3eFY4

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How apposite that the guy that runs WWE is trying to resurrect XFL (a modified version of NFL).

My inner being hopes that both it and AFLX meet a similar fate.

If there is a need for this game give it to the VFL to trial and raise some revenue a la the Big Bash. The AFL schedule is already overloaded (or so we are told).

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, don't make me angry said:

No it's a different game, why don't they play basketball for premiership points, that just as stupid idea as playing X for premiership points

I take it is a "no" from you then:laugh:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 24/01/2018 at 8:34 PM, Demonland said:

AFLX_infographic_v5.jpg

I hope this dies a quick and painless death, what a debacle. I hope we are fielding 34-43 on the list including rookies.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/01/2018 at 5:14 PM, Dr. Gonzo said:

I hope this dies a quick and painless death, what a debacle. I hope we are fielding 34-43 on the list including rookies.

You have my vote Dr.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with the Doctor and OD on this - I couldn't give a flying [censored] about this circus.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I'm with the Doctor and OD on this - I couldn't give a flying [censored] about this circus.

Agreed ... unless we win.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2018 at 4:14 PM, Dr. Gonzo said:

I hope this dies a quick and painless death, what a debacle. I hope we are fielding 34-43 on the list including rookies.

To be honest, that's about my only interest level in this, to see what sort of early form/promise some of our up and comming players can give a glimpse of for the season proper.  Even less value than JLT though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×