• Latest Podcast: Paul Roos

Petraccattack

2018's 'breakout' player

Who is your nomination/nominations ?

AlexNeal Bullen for me, and James Harmes will be right there alongside him.

• Like 2

Petty for mine (however I expect the whole list to lift judging from Goodwin’s training updates)!

• Haha 1

I have this strange feeling that Fritsch is going to slot into best 22 almost instantly after his debut

If Jack Viney could get an uninterupted injury free year and replicate the kind of form he had against WCE more often, then his "Breakout" year could be a year that has him in the top running for a Brownlow and as well regarded league wide for his consistency and application as a player like Joel Selwood. If he does then it will certainly indicate we'll be in September. So Jack Viney for me. 

Edited by Doodle Dee

Angus Brayshaw. 

Hopefully we get a full season out of this kid so he can showcase his potential. 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Demon77 said:

Angus Brayshaw. 

Hopefully we get a full season out of this kid so he can showcase his potential. 

Agree with this, if he's given a clean run at it he'll show why he went so high.

• Like 1

Brayshaw and/or Salem are due for a break out year considering their reputation as supremely talented footballers.

Brayshaw's been too injured and Salem's been a disappointment so far in his career.

Hunt and Hogan to be AA.

not sure if that is a 'breakout' worthy but thought id chuck it in

Just hoping the whole team breaks out from the rut of recent years,

• Like 1

If he can keep injury free, and it's a big if, Christian Salem.

Hannan. He will start influencing games with mpre possessions and settig up goals.

I listed Brayshaw last year and will run with him again. Works hard, has the talent and deserves a good run at it.

Yes please to Salem too

4 hours ago, CBDees said:

Petty for mine (however I expect the whole list to lift judging from Goodwin’s training updates)!

Just looking at this photo (thanks Hardtack/Hardtack's son), I don't think Petty has the stomach for it. Looks more like he'll break in two, rather than have a breakout year. Nevertheless, from Hardtack's and Saty's photos I do like the look of the lad. If we can get some size into him, he may, in time, become a valuable player for us. I just don't see it happening in 2018.

C5E891D7-8C15-4754-8601-A4A109242706.jpeg

Hard to go past O.Mac based on what the coach has had to say.  So it's Oscar to have a breakout year on the field, and cause a few around hear to 'break out' in a red rash of embarrassment.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

For the club to go to the next level we need

Hogan and Petracca to move close to the elite bracket of players

Like to see Billy Stretch as a break out year, show glimpses last season 

Hoping it would be Balic but less confident by the minute. I'll take a stab at Harmes or Petty.

I guess the latter would have to displace OMac or Frost.

2 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

if we're going to get better we need the likes of salem and brayshaw to really step up

This.

They both need to start averaging around 25 possessions per game because we already know they both use it well.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

2 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

This.

They both need to start averaging around 25 possessions per game because we already know they both use it well.

well, i dispute that brayshaw uses the ball well, but yes - 25 possessions per game should be the minimum standard expected for a regular midfielder

53 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

Hannan. He will start influencing games with mpre possessions and settig up goals.

I was thinking Fritsch might take Hannans spot and we might not see much of him.

3 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

well, i dispute that brayshaw uses the ball well, but yes - 25 possessions per game should be the minimum standard expected for a regular midfielder

He's pretty neat both feet. Not penetrating, but tidy and skillful, and most importantly makes good decisions

5 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

True, his disposal is overrated but he's generally pretty clever with the ball, just doesn't get it nearly enough.

1 minute ago, tappysquads said:

He's pretty neat both feet. Not penetrating, but tidy and skillful, and most importantly makes good decisions

yeah, couldn't disagree more 

he can roost the ball but hitting targets - particularly short 20-30m kicks when under no pressure - off either side has been a major issue for mine for the last two seasons

biggest concern is that he shows no ability to win the ball in large quantities as you'd expect from a modern mid

9 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

yeah, couldn't disagree more 

he can roost the ball but hitting targets - particularly short 20-30m kicks when under no pressure - off either side has been a major issue for mine for the last two seasons

biggest concern is that he shows no ability to win the ball in large quantities as you'd expect from a modern mid

We've just been waiting for his numbers to rise but it hasn't happened. Across half back he could float around and get cheap kicks but he needs to be a mid, and rack up 25 consistently. Hopefully as we improve he will rise with the squad.

Salem will become quality goal kicking midfielder. The penny has dropped after a kick up the butt last year.