Sign in to follow this  
IRW

Ology and high speed internet

Anyone privy to the reason for the apparent crash of Demonolgy?

Surely its more than the complete failure of the Turnbull high speed broadband that  Daisy Cutter assured me was hunk dory back in 2012.

12 hours ago, IRW said:

Anyone privy to the reason for the apparent crash of Demonolgy?

Surely its more than the complete failure of the Turnbull high speed broadband that  Daisy Cutter assured me was hunk dory back in 2012.

was spot on about the $100B cost of fttp , irw. telstra's industrial sabotage not helping either (though was predictable)

I suspect NBN will go down as Turnbull's third great stuff-up (after Utegate and his double disillusion election)

For a supposedly smart guy he does some exceptionally dumb things.

26 minutes ago, Jara said:

I suspect NBN will go down as Turnbull's third great stuff-up (after Utegate and his double disillusion election)

For a supposedly smart guy he does some exceptionally dumb things.

Malcolm Turnbullshite

50 minutes ago, Jara said:

I suspect NBN will go down as Turnbull's third great stuff-up

Even though it was the policy brainchild of the ALP and launched under the Rudd Government?

1 hour ago, Grapeviney said:

Even though it was the policy brainchild of the ALP and launched under the Rudd Government?

What Turnbull has produced bears absolutely no resemblance to the NBN proposed under Labor. And I’m not sure (don’t know the figures) that it has saved anywhere near the dollars that Mal claimed it would.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hardtack said:

What Turnbull has produced bears absolutely no resemblance to the NBN proposed under Labor. And I’m not sure (don’t know the figures) that it has saved anywhere near the dollars that Mal claimed it would.

My post wasn’t intended to excuse Turnbull, more a case of sharing the blame around. I think it was botched from the beginning (IIRC there wasn’t even a business case on the initial scheme). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grapeviney said:

My post wasn’t intended to excuse Turnbull, more a case of sharing the blame around. I think it was botched from the beginning (IIRC there wasn’t even a business case on the initial scheme). 

yes there was. it was on one side of a restaurant napkin iirc :P

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

yes there was. it was on one side of a restaurant napkin iirc :P

Actually dc I think the napkin plan was a Coalition incarnation, rather than the Labor phase. It’s getting hard to remember which acts of absurdity belong to which party. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It will never be the monumental [censored]-up that was ALP’s home insulation scheme. 

200w.gif

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

36 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

It will never be the monumental [censored]-up that was ALP’s home insulation scheme. 

200w.gif

Stuffing up the national broadband network is infinitely more damaging than any mistakes made in the home insulation scheme.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jara said:

Stuffing up the national broadband network is infinitely more damaging than any mistakes made in the home insulation scheme.   

Yeah what’s four young lives hey? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Yeah what’s four young lives hey? 

The loss of four young lives was due to negligence by contractors, of you don't mind.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, dieter said:

The loss of four young lives was due to negligence by contractors, of you don't mind.

An extract from the Royal Commission into the scheme:

On 6 June 2009, Mr Garrett received a briefng (through Mr Forbes) seeking his approval for the ‘installer minimum competencies’ prepared by Mr Keeffe. Mr Garrett approved minimum competencies which did not require installers to receive training.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

An extract from the Royal Commission into the scheme:

On 6 June 2009, Mr Garrett received a briefng (through Mr Forbes) seeking his approval for the ‘installer minimum competencies’ prepared by Mr Keeffe. Mr Garrett approved minimum competencies which did not require installers to receive training.

Thanks Ethan - of curse, I'm not forgetting those lives - it was terrible (though I suspect lives are lost on any major construction program - ask any building worker, and as Dieter says, the blame should be shared)

But what I'm getting at is the disaster that is slowly unfolding in the form of the NBN. We seem to be getting one of the worst internet services in the world. Just listen when any talkback radio show brings it up They are deluged with complaints - often, as I heard this morning, from old people who are having their regular phone services cut off. 

All I'm saying is that having a decent internet is essential for the way of life we enjoy these days - think of the diminution of services - doctors, medical-alerts, small business troubles, loss of income and all the problems that go with it. I suspect, long term, there will be terrible consequences from this stuff-up.

• Like 1