Jump to content



  • Melbourne Recruitment Manager
    Jason Taylor Interview
    & Draft Wrap Up


    Melbourne Recruitment Manager Jason Taylor Interview & Draft Wrap Up
     
Skuit

Yet to debut . . .

Recommended Posts

I think usually at this time of the year most us are looking forward to and speculating on who might make an early AFL debut or feature at some stage for the MFC in the year ahead. (Not so long ago we would have already slotted half of them in our starting 22 by now).

But a function of being an actual decent team with some genuine depth and competition for spots is that the number of 2018 debutantes in the red and blue will likely be diminished, and that we should actually be less hopeful to see them happen. As a bit of a present round-up:

King: I seriously had to double-check if his name was Max or Mitch. Seems as if they’re ramping up his training this year and he looks in good shape. But is he Gawn’s direct replacement in the event of an injury now, or, despite Watts’s departure, will we continue to attempt to plug the gap like last year in overlooking Spencer? I think the preference atm would be seeing Pedo go number one in the middle and a rejig up forward toward a smaller make-up. Are we already in some trouble if King enters the frame?

McKenna: The forgotten man on the list. Arrived with little fanfare and has barely been heard from since. I’m not even certain what position he in fact plays, but from memory it’s somewhere around half-back, where he’d be an especially long way behind in the push for a spot. I doubt that few of us hold even a vague hope that he’ll bolt out of nowhere and be pushing for a place anytime soon.

Johnstone: Assumed to be the direct understudy for Garlett as a mercurial pocket type, but by most Casey reports has been largely underwhelming to date in terms of development, with little impact across the year and not much on display in terms of rare, untapped talent. Looks fit in the training photos, but if Garlett were to go down, I imagine there’s plenty of mediums who would be selected for the small pocket role before him. What has to go wrong before he becomes a realistic chance for debut?

Keilty: Seems to have been to have been a consistent improver over the back-half of last year in the seconds, yet, despite I assume a number of us here rooting for him a little extra due to his relative’s (brother's?) personal insights on this forum, when you take an objective step back it’s difficult to see where he might force his way in. Has been shuffled around a bit at Casey, I guess as part of his development, but appears to have settled into a back role - to ultimately end up against some stiff senior competition if not currently offering a stand-out trait. The signs are on the positive side, but again, would we have to be in a fair deal of trouble before he was being considered for debut? 

Filopovich: I really don’t know much about what’s going on here. A raw project still, and a long long way back I would presume?

Then there’s our quartet of draftees: I’m not sure if it’s a remnant of a past MFC-conditioned supporter mentality, as well as the usual hope and hype around draft-time, but all of Spargo, Fritsch, and Baker (and to a slightly lesser extent Petty) feel as if in some way closer to a debut than most of those  mentioned above – be it needs-based in the case of some extra dash with Baker, or, in reference to Spargo and Fritsch, that our small-medium brigade up front isn’t as quite as settled and proven as our other lines?

Obviously, most of this assessment is based on subjective perception and a very limited range of second-hand sources, so I am curious to hear what others may think? In your opinions, who is likely or at least a chance to make their AFL debuts this year with Melbourne and why?  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Johnstone: Assumed to be the direct understudy for Garlett as a mercurial pocket type,

I think he could well end up as the understudy for Jetta...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a good feeling about Spargo. Reading all the draft reports and how he would've gone higher etc etc i can't help but feel like he may get a game early (but i think i'd like to see some of this potential in the pre-season competition/intra-clubs first).

Fritsch is the other i could see playing too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wunders said:

I have a good feeling about Spargo. Reading all the draft reports and how he would've gone higher etc etc i can't help but feel like he may get a game early (but i think i'd like to see some of this potential in the pre-season competition/intra-clubs first).

Fritsch is the other i could see playing too.

Spargo will play more senior games in 2018 than what most people think. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Skuit said:

I think usually at this time of the year most us are looking forward to and speculating on who might make an early AFL debut or feature at some stage for the MFC in the year ahead. (Not so long ago we would have already slotted half of them in our starting 22 by now).

 

But a function of being an actual decent team with some genuine depth and competition for spots is that the number of 2018 debutantes in the red and blue will likely be diminished, and that we should actually be less hopeful to see them happen. As a bit of a present round-up:

 

King: I seriously had to double-check if his name was Max or Mitch. Seems as if they’re ramping up his training this year and he looks in good shape. But is he Gawn’s direct replacement in the event of an injury now, or, despite Watts’s departure, will we continue to attempt to plug the gap like last year in overlooking Spencer? I think the preference atm would be seeing Pedo go number one in the middle and a rejig up forward toward a smaller make-up. Are we already in some trouble if King enters the frame?

 

McKenna: The forgotten man on the list. Arrived with little fanfare and has barely been heard from since. I’m not even certain what position he in fact plays, but from memory it’s somewhere around half-back, where he’d be an especially long way behind in the push for a spot. I doubt that few of us hold even a vague hope that he’ll bolt out of nowhere and be pushing for a place anytime soon.

 

Johnstone: Assumed to be the direct understudy for Garlett as a mercurial pocket type, but by most Casey reports has been largely underwhelming to date in terms of development, with little impact across the year and not much on display in terms of rare, untapped talent. Looks fit in the training photos, but if Garlett were to go down, I imagine there’s plenty of mediums who would be selected for the small pocket role before him. What has to go wrong before he becomes a realistic chance for debut?

 

Keilty: Seems to have been to have been a consistent improver over the back-half of last year in the seconds, yet, despite I assume a number of us here rooting for him a little extra due to his relative’s (brother's?) personal insights on this forum, when you take an objective step back it’s difficult to see where he might force his way in. Has been shuffled around a bit at Casey, I guess as part of his development, but appears to have settled into a back role - to ultimately end up against some stiff senior competition if not currently offering a stand-out trait. The signs are on the positive side, but again, would we have to be in a fair deal of trouble before he was being considered for debut? 

 

Filopovich: I really don’t know much about what’s going on here. A raw project still, and a long long way back I would presume?

 

Then there’s our quartet of draftees: I’m not sure if it’s a remnant of a past MFC-conditioned supporter mentality, as well as the usual hope and hype around draft-time, but all of Spargo, Fritsch, and Baker (and to a slightly lesser extent Petty) feel as if in some way closer to a debut than most of those  mentioned above – be it needs-based in the case of some extra dash with Baker, or, in reference to Spargo and Fritsch, that our small-medium brigade up front isn’t as quite as settled and proven as our other lines?

 

Obviously, most of this assessment is based on subjective perception and a very limited range of second-hand sources, so I am curious to hear what others may think? In your opinions, who is likely or at least a chance to make their AFL debuts this year with Melbourne and why?  

 

No love for Balic Skuit?

I think he might be the best of them all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be surprised if any of King, McKenna, Johnstone or Filipovic play senior football, this year or otherwise. It would take a horror run with injuries for any of these guys to play before their contracts expire.

I think Keilty is clearly the best of the bunch, but the arrival of Lever makes it harder to see where he fits in as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit harsh on Johnstone.  from the reports ive read his application and team play have been very good for a kid.  good tackles numbers and pressure acts which are massive in todays game.  agree that he does not seem to have a natural eye for goal but maybe that will come.

not a bad idea to try him down back either RJay

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poita said:

I'd be surprised if any of King, McKenna, Johnstone or Filipovic play senior football, this year or otherwise. It would take a horror run with injuries for any of these guys to play before their contracts expire.

I think Keilty is clearly the best of the bunch, but the arrival of Lever makes it harder to see where he fits in as well.

I'd be suprised if Johnstone didn't play senior footy next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matt Demon said:

I'd be suprised if Johnstone didn't play senior footy next season.

I would be surprised if he did. Would need to be a big improvement on his 2017 games at Casey.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Skuit said:

I think usually at this time of the year most us are looking forward to and speculating on who might make an early AFL debut or feature at some stage for the MFC in the year ahead. (Not so long ago we would have already slotted half of them in our starting 22 by now).

 

But a function of being an actual decent team with some genuine depth and competition for spots is that the number of 2018 debutantes in the red and blue will likely be diminished, and that we should actually be less hopeful to see them happen. As a bit of a present round-up:

 

King: I seriously had to double-check if his name was Max or Mitch. Seems as if they’re ramping up his training this year and he looks in good shape. But is he Gawn’s direct replacement in the event of an injury now, or, despite Watts’s departure, will we continue to attempt to plug the gap like last year in overlooking Spencer? I think the preference atm would be seeing Pedo go number one in the middle and a rejig up forward toward a smaller make-up. Are we already in some trouble if King enters the frame?

 

McKenna: The forgotten man on the list. Arrived with little fanfare and has barely been heard from since. I’m not even certain what position he in fact plays, but from memory it’s somewhere around half-back, where he’d be an especially long way behind in the push for a spot. I doubt that few of us hold even a vague hope that he’ll bolt out of nowhere and be pushing for a place anytime soon.

 

Johnstone: Assumed to be the direct understudy for Garlett as a mercurial pocket type, but by most Casey reports has been largely underwhelming to date in terms of development, with little impact across the year and not much on display in terms of rare, untapped talent. Looks fit in the training photos, but if Garlett were to go down, I imagine there’s plenty of mediums who would be selected for the small pocket role before him. What has to go wrong before he becomes a realistic chance for debut?

 

Keilty: Seems to have been to have been a consistent improver over the back-half of last year in the seconds, yet, despite I assume a number of us here rooting for him a little extra due to his relative’s (brother's?) personal insights on this forum, when you take an objective step back it’s difficult to see where he might force his way in. Has been shuffled around a bit at Casey, I guess as part of his development, but appears to have settled into a back role - to ultimately end up against some stiff senior competition if not currently offering a stand-out trait. The signs are on the positive side, but again, would we have to be in a fair deal of trouble before he was being considered for debut? 

 

Filopovich: I really don’t know much about what’s going on here. A raw project still, and a long long way back I would presume?

 

Then there’s our quartet of draftees: I’m not sure if it’s a remnant of a past MFC-conditioned supporter mentality, as well as the usual hope and hype around draft-time, but all of Spargo, Fritsch, and Baker (and to a slightly lesser extent Petty) feel as if in some way closer to a debut than most of those  mentioned above – be it needs-based in the case of some extra dash with Baker, or, in reference to Spargo and Fritsch, that our small-medium brigade up front isn’t as quite as settled and proven as our other lines?

 

Obviously, most of this assessment is based on subjective perception and a very limited range of second-hand sources, so I am curious to hear what others may think? In your opinions, who is likely or at least a chance to make their AFL debuts this year with Melbourne and why?  

 

Great questions, Skuit.

Really, these are starting to be nagging questions, daily, as the season keeps nearing. With reference to what is going to be a bumper season and an invincible team down at Casey, all of these players would fit in very nicely, in those roles. However, with the Mighty Demons first 22, I guess most will fade for the coming season as key acquisitions moving up from the aspirations that they have held in the recent past.

King is getting better, but this has been a fairly long journey. He is very good at the tap.

Gawn stridently asserted that Filipovic had '...all the skills...' and was suitably competitive. Another season of development and these two could be poised for a 2nd ruck role - or handy off-the-bench types. Given such development, I would think one of the two could be a 1st ruck in times of need, with AFL exposure to assure such a decision.

Keilty is already an 'off the bench' prospect to fill gaps when needed this coming season, surely. He plays both back and forward and would probably out-mark most AFL opposition players, and be in position to take the chance.

McKenna is largely unknown but there is considerable support for his retention. Match appearances may well give us more indications.

Spargo, to me, looks like a Garlett replacement should it ever be needed, heaven forbid. Speed, fwd pressuring, agility are his assets and I think, if trained in the role, possibly very dangerous for clever little snaps and freakish scoring. Despite the limited observation of him, Spargo reminds me of Ricky Jackson, except quicker. Surely that is a good thing?

Fritch is a gun. I would expect him to pressure several players that we currently utilise in the fwd line - on the flanks. I'd expect him to be a regular.

Baker and Petty look very good - and it will be the Club's development processes that will hold these two back, if at all. Each has a role and would contribute well. 

The difficulties with 'depth' are major considerations, too. Who and why do we substitute a player into the side at the disadvantage of another who has already proven to be at a useful standard? The only opportunities will possibly be in our 'aged brigade', our loyalties that affect our decision-making, and a sense of risk-taking. I'd play Petty as the Full Back to replace OMcD - but here is an example of my bias, once again. 

Still, great questions that we will all ponder upon across the summer, Skuit. 

Edited by Deemania since 56
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very jealous of those who attend regular Casey games on top of MFC games. 

Good thing I can read Demonland. Some really great insight into players I haven’t seen play on here. Thanks.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, old dee said:

No love for Balic Skuit?

I think he might be the best of them all.

Hey Old Dee. Balic already has a few game under his belt for Freo - including the game against us where he showed quite a bit.

1 hour ago, Jack son 5 said:

Very jealous of those who attend regular Casey games on top of MFC games. 

Good thing I can read Demonland. Some really great insight into players I haven’t seen play on here. Thanks.

I agree Jackson5 - but just to be clear, I've pieced together most of my assessments from those who do attend VFL games and MFC training and provide us with updates, as well as reading between the lines of Plapp's reports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skuit said:

Hey Old Dee. Balic already has a few game under his belt for Freo - including the game against us where he showed quite a bit.

I agree Jackson5 - but just to be clear, I've pieced together most of my assessments from those who do attend VFL games and MFC training and provide us with updates, as well as reading between the lines of Plapp's reports.

Got me on a technicality Skuit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, old dee said:

Got me on a technicality Skuit. 

I actually had to carefully reword my post to ensure Balic's exclusion - but I do think there was a point in that, which relates back to your original response. Based on nothing more than my own personal inner-perceptions,  I suspect that many of us may tend to periodically forget that Balic has actual exposed top-level form, which, statistically at least, was fairly impressive for a young player starting out - certainly in comparison to some of our own.

Concerns over mental fortitude and a slip if fitness are most certainly valid - and shared by our own footy department (if the offered contract can be considered a gauge) - but the kid can play, and has already proven it in the top-flight - essentially by forcing his way into an established Freo line-up and notably doing so after a long period rehabbing from injury.

Harley is currently a wildcard, but objectively, if he can get himself back up to speed and show some early form, he should be right there in the mix competing against some our more established younger players for a surprise spot at the beginning of 2018.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be intersting to see who gets a run in the preseason games (who potentially is close to pushing their case for a spot in the seniors) and who starts out at Casey.  I reckon this will be a significant ‘form guide’ as to who the club is seeing as most likely to crack a debut in the season proper.

There seems to be some serious competition for spots, and if the rumour is true that the coach doesn’t have favourites (well, apart from his ‘favourites’...), then there is a lot of opportunity for the side to look very different in 2018.  Sounds like most of the old brigade are doing everything they can to keep the youngsters at Casey, too.  This can only be great for the club, for development and for our future. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DubDee said:

Bit harsh on Johnstone.  from the reports ive read his application and team play have been very good for a kid.  good tackles numbers and pressure acts which are massive in todays game.  agree that he does not seem to have a natural eye for goal but maybe that will come.

not a bad idea to try him down back either RJay

What's his agility and reading of the play like?

Nev Jetta made a success of transitioning to a defender, based partly on his ability to quickly change direction, and cut off the angles for his opponent.

The pressure/tackling thing is good news, but as a defender it's also a requirement to kill a contest and prevent an opposition disposal. If you cant read the play, you are one step behind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of yet to debut (albeit not our club), I see Freo has extended Andrew Brayshaw's initial 2 year deal by another 2 years, tying him to the club to 2021. All this after being there for three weeks at the age of 18

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/fremantle-give-prized-recruit-andrew-brayshaw-a-twoyear-contract-extension-20171212-h035d5.html

Edited by Moonshadow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Speaking of yet to debut (albeit not our club), I see Freo has extended Andrew Brayshaw's initial 2 year deal by another 2 years, tying him to the club to 2021. All this after being there for three weeks at the age of 18

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/fremantle-give-prized-recruit-andrew-brayshaw-a-twoyear-contract-extension-20171212-h035d5.html

Another Toumpas?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, old dee said:

Another Toumpas?

Genetic links may suggest otherwise OD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2017 at 6:44 AM, Skuit said:

I actually had to carefully reword my post to ensure Balic's exclusion - but I do think there was a point in that, which relates back to your original response. Based on nothing more than my own personal inner-perceptions,  I suspect that many of us may tend to periodically forget that Balic has actual exposed top-level form, which, statistically at least, was fairly impressive for a young player starting out - certainly in comparison to some of our own.

Concerns over mental fortitude and a slip if fitness are most certainly valid - and shared by our own footy department (if the offered contract can be considered a gauge) - but the kid can play, and has already proven it in the top-flight - essentially by forcing his way into an established Freo line-up and notably doing so after a long period rehabbing from injury.

Harley is currently a wildcard, but objectively, if he can get himself back up to speed and show some early form, he should be right there in the mix competing against some our more established younger players for a surprise spot at the beginning of 2018.

 

We must assume that Balic can regenerate form and fitness - even if it takes us into the season proper. He has shown top form and ability, and was unfortunate with injuries but he would not be invited to 'suit-up' if it wasn't apparent that it was all still there - subject to conditioning at a level where he has recently been. I'd say he might well be a 'smokey' when these things are achieved. Players change and change rapidly when highly motivated. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having watched some VFL last year, including 2 finals I'd strongly suggest Fritsch. He would have played several games late last year if on the list at the time. Clearly a better option in VFL than a Bugg, JKH etc forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping that McKenna can overcome the injuries and have a decent crack at Casey. Looks a very likely type to me from his NEAFL highlights. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/12/2017 at 7:56 AM, Deemania since 56 said:

Spargo, to me, looks like a Garlett replacement should it ever be needed, heaven forbid. Speed, fwd pressuring, agility are his assets and I think, if trained in the role, possibly very dangerous for clever little snaps and freakish scoring. Despite the limited observation of him, Spargo reminds me of Ricky Jackson, except quicker. Surely that is a good thing?

Or if Hannan has 2 or 3 quiet games in a row.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Speaking of yet to debut (albeit not our club), I see Freo has extended Andrew Brayshaw's initial 2 year deal by another 2 years, tying him to the club to 2021. All this after being there for three weeks at the age of 18

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/fremantle-give-prized-recruit-andrew-brayshaw-a-twoyear-contract-extension-20171212-h035d5.html

Wow. Does that mean we get to keep Hogan for a while longer?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×