Jump to content



  • Melbourne Recruitment Manager
    Jason Taylor Interview
    & Draft Wrap Up


    Melbourne Recruitment Manager Jason Taylor Interview & Draft Wrap Up
     
Demonland

Preseason Training - Week commencing 4/12/17

Recommended Posts

Oh and one more I missed. 

If you squint hard you can make out Jesse and Pedo. :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Saty, thanks for the photos. I realise individual photos can look deceptive, but in that second photo Oliver looks like he's about a foot taller than the two Christians and almost as tall as Gawn.

Serious question...has Oliver grown taller?

Look at the picture, the christians are not stand upright, they have their knees bent, and oliver is off the ground.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chazz said:

 

Here it is again.   Lever is clearly playing the defender in this contest, and Oscar a makeshift forward.  Oscar is at the fall of the ball in time, and has no intention of spoiling, given that Lever "beat" him.

I'm not an Oscar lover, but if you can't see that it's a positioning drill more than a full-blown contested contest, I can't help you.

 

EDIT (Demonland): Here is the video.

Based on this clip, I predict that house prices are going to crash.

Makes about as much sense as the rest of the analysis that has been provided about it so far.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Demonland said:

You're not taking that photo in context. He was actually doing the can can.

giphy.gif

 

 

8A5E124C-8A88-444D-B9D1-301933887F5C.jpeg

31CE4316-B82F-4CF2-9E2A-B1F31E09F5E8.jpeg

21FAA295-5184-4A27-B1D2-271427FF55FE.jpeg

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 19
  • Love 4
  • Haha 19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

30 goals would be a great effort.

I also question if we can fit Hogan, TMac and Pedo in the same forward line as it hasn't worked in the past. In saying this, I am sure it would work fine if they were all in form together.

The thing for me is, that while the three named in the forward line looks ugly on paper, I get the sense that they won't all be present together there at a given time, with at least one always pushing up  - helping to improve our desperately needed tall/contested marking presence on the wings as well as dragging an athletic defender away from our opposition zone set-ups to better open up our forward line for our poaching medium forwards.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprise, surprise stmj is worried tmac's younger brother won't make it. Quelle horreur!

Well i'm not. I can see what the fd can. Like he has been since first selected he is a lock for our starting 22 (yes, yes, i know he was dropped. Once). I have argued the fact he is picked week in week out is proof of his standing. Some - well one - have argued his selection is down to luck and fortituous timing (there are no other options!).

The latter argument is moot this year with lever coming in. There are options for the fd if they think he is not ready.

So when he starts in the side round one and remains in all year, injuries notwithstanding, it will be crystal clear, even to his most trenchant of critics, how highly he is rated by his coach and the fd.

By the happy to bet the above scenario will come to pass.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oscar doesn't need to take on the 'gorilla' FF.  They are quickly becoming extinct.   The last few 'gorilla's (Buddy, Kennedy, Hawkins) will be gone in a few years.

The new breed FF is tall and lanky (Daniher, Brown, Moore, Hipwood etc) with great overhead reach.  Smarts will be just as important as braun.  And Oscar is growing in both areas and is now starting his 4th year. 

He will be a fine addition to our defence.  He doesn't need to be a star - consistently do the job asked of him will do. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ProDee said:

Who says his claims are "easily dismissed" ?  U either have a preference for a structure, depending on matchups and injury, or you don't. 

There's no way I'm playing all of Gawn, Tom McDonald, Hogan, and Pedersen through the forward line.  It won't be a structure Goodwin wants.  Pedersen misses for me. 

I'd also preference Weideman over Pedersen because he's the future.  His body hasn't been strong enough to compete at AFL level, but hopefully it will be after this preseason. 

But it's up to Pedersen.  If his form demands selection it will be hard to overlook him.  My money won't be on him lining up in round one if we have a full list to choose from. 

It's not "personal".

The Weideman one is interesting. I hope we're at the stage where we are focusing on wins now instead of a continual preparation for the future. If Weideman earns his spot through good performances at Casey and maintains it through good performances at senior level, great. But if not I would have Pedersen ahead of him until he can prove otherwise and I hope the FD learnt their lesson after the early part of lasts season where Weideman was a liability and Pedersen looked like he was on the outer until being forced into the side through injuries. 

Of course neither of them may be in our "best 22" come round 1 (injuries not withstanding). Weideman will be coming from a fair way back considering his form in 2017 and his late start to preseason following ankle surgery.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skuit said:

The thing for me is, that while the three named in the forward line looks ugly on paper, I get the sense that they won't all be present together there at a given time, with at least one always pushing up  - helping to improve our desperately needed tall/contested marking presence on the wings as well as dragging an athletic defender away from our opposition zone set-ups to better open up our forward line for our poaching medium forwards.

Yep, the talls (and certainly minus the Weed) could well play together on the fwd line, at once, doing different things that make dominating half fwd and the goal mouth area a virtual booby trap for an opposition. With our runners and flankers in support of this, per man for example, it would be scary for an opposition to defend against - much like a basketball zone defence/attack and remember, our runners and flankers can nearly all kick accurately over at least 50 metres if so required to deliver goals. Sounds bloody effective as an alternative strategy to the now-infamous 'Demon bomb' up the ground. A mobile area strike team with fwd pressure from the rest of those brave men in red'n'blue. Less reliance on one person to out-muscle, out-juggle, out-position, then out-possess and/or out-mark opponents. However, I'd like Tom McD spending most of his time in the backline where he is a killer. Hogan, Pedo and perhaps, a resting Gawn/Melksham/Frosty/Smith. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The constant negativity on here is one reason I feel like not posting again, whilst I can understand some of the angst, it is December, it is a  new season, it is at least 2 months before we fire a shot in anger

Read the reports, look at the photos, let's revisit Oscar, the fwd line, the game plan say around Rd 6, then we will have some data to go on

At the moment, nearly all the squad hopefully will be ready to go Rd1, competition for spots will be ferocious, Goody does not play favourites

From what I have seen at training, we will have a team of versatile men who can run all day and the skills are getting better each session

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^

Either post or don't.  The threats are tiresome. 

Players look slimmer.  Very positive.

  • Like 12
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

The constant negativity on here is one reason I feel like not posting again, whilst I can understand some of the angst, it is December, it is a  new season, it is at least 2 months before we fire a shot in anger

Read the reports, look at the photos, let's revisit Oscar, the fwd line, the game plan say around Rd 6, then we will have some data to go on

At the moment, nearly all the squad hopefully will be ready to go Rd1, competition for spots will be ferocious, Goody does not play favourites

From what I have seen at training, we will have a team of versatile men who can run all day and the skills are getting better each session

The Saty of the past few days is an asset to the site, and an interesting read.

This version is the reason for most arguments on this site.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ProDee said:

^^^

Either post or don't.  The threats are tiresome. 

Players look slimmer.  Very positive.

New game plan coming methinks.

Exciting.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/12/2017 at 2:20 PM, Fifty-5 said:

We badly need aerial contest coaching and training.  We were pathetic in this area in 2017.  Lever and a fit Gawn will help but we need a lift everywhere.  We were massacred down the line all season long.

 

On 04/12/2017 at 2:56 PM, hemingway said:

One of my major frustrations this season was watching 2 or 3 players fly for the ball.  Such a basic error even in suburban and amateur footy. More often than not, no player would position themselves in the front or at the back of the pack, this occurring regularly at both ends of the ground. The ball then being swiftly taken away by our opponents. 

Its been years.  Years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

 

8A5E124C-8A88-444D-B9D1-301933887F5C.jpeg

31CE4316-B82F-4CF2-9E2A-B1F31E09F5E8.jpeg

21FAA295-5184-4A27-B1D2-271427FF55FE.jpeg

The Lever families first "saved" post from Demonland.

Lever yearbook cover page.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, faultydet said:

The Saty of the past few days is an asset to the site, and an interesting read.

This version is the reason for most arguments on this site.

It is a training report thread, it is the only topic I am posting in, the rest degenerate into slanging matches and negativity

If anybody wants to whinge and whine do it in one of those, let the rest of the readers read them in peace

@DeeSpencer  puts a lot of effort into his reports, read and enjoy, that's what I do and I am at the same sessions

 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProDee said:

^^^

Either post or don't.  The threats are tiresome. 

Players look slimmer.  Very positive.

It's not a threat, it is a statement, you do realise revisiting the same topic e.g. Omac is boring, because nothing new is ever added, it just goes round and round

The players are not only slimmer but stronger all lifting better metal than ever before

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

It is a training report thread, it is the only topic I am posting in, the rest degenerate into slanging matches and negativity

If anybody wants to whinge and whine do it in one of those, let the rest of the readers read them in peace

@DeeSpencer  puts a lot of effort into his reports, read and enjoy, that's what I do and I am at the same sessions

 

No its not Saty

@DeeSpencer posts info from training sessions, and does not take exception if someone disagrees with his views.

You share some great info, directly from the players mouths, and make a huge contribution to the site, and then go out of your way to undo all of your great work by whining condescendingly at anyone who dares to question your fanboi views.

When you let people have their own views on players, you are a really interesting, and highly respected member of the site, but when old Saty rears his head, you are nothing but a rifle range target.

  • Like 8
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey track-watchers - how is Garlett looking this pre-season? No-one ever talks about Garlett. And Tyson? Both had interrupted starts to last year from memory.*

*Discussion point partially a hopeful realignment of thread and track. 

Edited by Skuit
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

The constant negativity on here is one reason I feel like not posting again, whilst I can understand some of the angst, it is December, it is a  new season, it is at least 2 months before we fire a shot in anger

Read the reports, look at the photos, let's revisit Oscar, the fwd line, the game plan say around Rd 6, then we will have some data to go on

At the moment, nearly all the squad hopefully will be ready to go Rd1, competition for spots will be ferocious, Goody does not play favourites

From what I have seen at training, we will have a team of versatile men who can run all day and the skills are getting better each session

You're correct, Saty, I find myself writing negatives far too often when I attempt to think of positives. I have not resolved this, internally, at this point but articles and discussion points like yours assist me in achieving a broader perspective and at times, cause a sense of regret about certain comments that I might have made hastily. It seems as though these considerations are part and parcel of being a long-term Demon supporter, the Club's history and the continuous struggle to see our players, year by year, rewarded with success. Go Dees!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skuit said:

Hey track-watchers - how is Garlett looking this pre-season? No-one ever talks about Garlett. And Tyson? Both had interrupted starts to last year from memory.*

*Discussion point partially a hopeful realignment of thread and track. 

I haven't been down to training yet but from what I've gleaned Garlett is in the recovery group. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, faultydet said:

No its not Saty

@DeeSpencer posts info from training sessions, and does not take exception if someone disagrees with his views.

You share some great info, directly from the players mouths, and make a huge contribution to the site, and then go out of your way to undo all of your great work by whining condescendingly at anyone who dares to question your fanboi views.

When you let people have their own views on players, you are a really interesting, and highly respected member of the site, but when old Saty rears his head, you are nothing but a rifle range target.

 Let's all be fanboy's let's spread the positivity, my pet hate is negativity without fact, also people have to separate how players train and how they play, everyone trains well, I bet a player like James Strauss always looked very skillful it's training but its a very different kettle of fish when you got pressure in a game, 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

You're correct, Saty, I find myself writing negatives far too often when I attempt to think of positives. I have not resolved this, internally, at this point but articles and discussion points like yours assist me in achieving a broader perspective and at times, cause a sense of regret about certain comments that I might have made hastily. It seems as though these considerations are part and parcel of being a long-term Demon supporter, the Club's history and the continuous struggle to see our players, year by year, rewarded with success. Go Dees!

Such honest comments Deemania. 

And you ended on a positive. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

30 goals would be a great effort.

I also question if we can fit Hogan, TMac and Pedo in the same forward line as it hasn't worked in the past. In saying this, I am sure it would work fine if they were all in form together.

Agree completely. As far as I can recall, at no stage last year were all three of Hogan, T Mac and Pedo uninjured, in form and fit at the same time. They are all mobile, versatile footballers who can be moved up the ground more if the forward line isn't functioning. Rather than ability, I think about getting the leading patterns right and allocating zones of responsibility for each individual that I think will be critical. I'm sure there will be issues, but that's up to the coaching group to get right.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

It is a training report thread, it is the only topic I am posting in, the rest degenerate into slanging matches and negativity

If anybody wants to whinge and whine do it in one of those, let the rest of the readers read them in peace

@DeeSpencer  puts a lot of effort into his reports, read and enjoy, that's what I do and I am at the same sessions

 

Lets accept all training reports for what they are. 

Everyone who contributes should be thanked.

They go to the trouble of attending and writing reports that provide information that we can enjoy.

I also like to read the different comments and perspectives. 

I think all those who write them deserve a break. 

Readers like me are in a sense free loaders who benefit from the contributions of the training watchers.

Are we better off with these contributions irrespective of content? I think so. 

See the common good and ignore the things that irritate you. 

The summer period is a time to renew our hope and faith in all things including our beloved Demons, and to look forward to the season ahead.

A time to be positive and to accept our differences.  Particularly as we all share the same love.  

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×