• Melbourne Recruitment Manager
    Jason Taylor Interview
    & Draft Wrap Up

Melbourne Recruitment Manager Jason Taylor Interview & Draft Wrap Up

Sign in to follow this  
napster

Passing on Stefan Giro

Does anyone know why we didn't select Stefan Giro as a rookie? I don’t know much about him other than what I’ve read on the net. Prior to the rookie draft there was an article suggesting we were one of three clubs (including Freo) who had in-depth talks with him. He has great possession stats, apparently had an excellent game against Vic Country in the U18 champs, has elite endurance and 2.93 secs for 20m. His highlights package shows an accurate left foot kick, but no right foot disposal on display. Is this his main weakness? Or he doesn’t tackle enough? Or is it that he’s only 175cm and MFC think they have enough young prospects of that size? But Dion Johnstone doesn’t seem to have shown much, and who knows with Spargo, given his shoulder issue. JKH may or may not make it. I thought the rookie draft is supposed to be a relatively low cost punt, and was surprised we ‘passed’ on our one rookie pick.

Edited by Grapeviney

We didn’t have a rookie pick.

How is it that we didn’t have a rookie draft pick? We currently have four rookies but are allowed up to six. 

10 minutes ago, napster said:

How is it that we didn’t have a rookie draft pick? We currently have four rookies but are allowed up to six. 

One of the posters on this site will be able to answer you. Welcome to Demonland.

List Size

For 2013, all clubs (*except Gold Coast and GWS Giants) now operate under the following list sizes.

Primary List Size Category A Rookies Category BRookies Total Rookies (Maximum) Total
38 (Minimum)
40 (Maximum)

* Gold Coast Suns: Primary List 42; Rookie List 9
* GWS Giants: Primary List 44-50; Rookie List 9

This is from the AFL web site melbourne have 40 on the main list and 4 rookies unless stefan has not played AFL for at least 3 years in any form then he is eligible for the rookie B list otherwise there is no room.

• Like 2

In Giro's respect, what goes around comes around.

Apologies.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

To answer the OP's question, I would assume we were looking for a small forward type, with Giro an option if we didn't get other preferred players, but since we landed Spargo & Fritsch we weren't interested. Can't take them all.

17 hours ago, small but forward said:

See yourself out thanks Skuit. Gees.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, napster said:

Does anyone know why we didn't select Stefan Giro as a rookie? I don’t know much about him other than what I’ve read on the net. Prior to the rookie draft there was an article suggesting we were one of three clubs (including Freo) who had in-depth talks with him. He has great possession stats, apparently had an excellent game against Vic Country in the U18 champs, has elite endurance and 2.93 secs for 20m. His highlights package shows an accurate left foot kick, but no right foot disposal on display. Is this his main weakness? Or he doesn’t tackle enough? Or is it that he’s only 175cm and MFC think they have enough young prospects of that size? But Dion Johnstone doesn’t seem to have shown much, and who knows with Spargo, given his shoulder issue. JKH may or may not make it. I thought the rookie draft is supposed to be a relatively low cost punt, and was surprised we ‘passed’ on our one rookie pick.

Dion Johnston hasn’t only been in the system 1 year, give the kid sometime.  He actually showed a big in a few games at Casey last year 

On 01/12/2017 at 1:21 PM, napster said:

Thanks for sharing napster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1