Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Hawthorn



Sign in to follow this  
Lucifer's Hero

2018 Contracts and List Details

Recommended Posts

Now that our List is complete I've started a new thread for 2018 Contracts etc:

image.png.d2dde0428ed6a07498ce18fb91dcea64.png

I've merged the 'A' Rookies with the Seniors list as 'A' Rookies can now play at AFL level from round one without the need for promotion or upgrade or relying on a Long Term Injury. 

If you see any changes required please let me know.  If you want to know full details on any player go to:  http://www.melbournefc.com.au/Team/players/senior

Interesting that of 21 players that are OOC in 2018 the high priority ones for me are Petracca and Jetta.  Then the McD brothers and Brayshaw.  I can't see Jetta and Brayshaw going anywhere.  I wouldn't like to see the McD's go but we have good coverage for them at both ends of the ground.  And, I recall reading that discussions are happening with Petracca on a new contract so wouldn't be surprised if there is an announcement before too long - maybe a little Christmas present for us ^_^.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a side note, I noticed in the Financial Report last week that:  '$1.847m was attributable to the growth in player payments limits following the finalisation of the industry’s Collective Bargaining Agreement'. 

Given that the CBA increase was about $2.1m pa I hadn’t expected the club to be able to spend most of it straight away.   So, I would think Mahoney has been busy negotiating contract $ without changing contract length eg

-     - Big increase in contract $ for high performers like Oliver, Hibberd and Jetta with the increase being a large ‘upfront’ payment in 2017.

-     -  Other players may not have received much of an increase in their overall contract $ but agreed to bring forward their payments to 2017. 

Also, players that renewed their contracts later in the season would likely have included a large ‘upfront’ payment in 2017 eg Hunt and Gawn.

On this basis it is clear how we were able to fit Lever’s contract into our salary cap.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've extracted the Age and Game profiles:

image.png.b0fe70c4099fa4a9e1438fdce80a2c58.png      image.png.4c0063f19d81303f0e23d517bb6cfec8.png

For the 'Playing Team' stats I've left out the 14 players who have played less than 10 games because our starting 22 will generally come form the top 30, especially in the first half of the year.

Also if some of those 14 get games it is not going to change the average (unless Vince, Jones and Lewis don't play in the same game and youngsters replace them).   To counter the impact of Vince, Jones and Lewis on the profiles the 'Median' is a better indicator than the 'Average'.

Leaving out the 14 will help keep claims like the 'youngest team' and the 'least experienced team' in perspective.

 

I am really pleased with our list profile!  It is a long time (decades?) since we have had a core group around 25 years of age.  Now the majority of our list is in that range. 

Ditto the experience profile - the majority of our players will be in the 50 to 150 game range next year.

While there is still growth and experience to happen, at last we have a well balanced team with a lot of talent. At last the coaches can work with a team that will grow together.  At last we have a list with some stars and a fair amount of depth and competition for spots.

At last we can look forward with confidence!

 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it incredible, and highly concerning, that we have so many fringe players coming out of contract next year (Balic, Bugg, Filipovic, Keilty, JKH, Kent, King, Johnstone, McKenna, Smith, Vandenberg, Wagner).

Add in potential retirees and there is a good 12 - 15 players who may need to be replaced this time next year.

Hopefully a few of those guys step up and earn a new contract, but surely best practice would be to spread these types of contracts out and to have delisted a few more players this year so that we could have had some rookie picks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I wonder if many of these players poita mentions above will actually leave or be 'de-listed' as in most analyses, each is valuable and I suspect that they are just evaluating their game and contribution to the team from the perspective of being injured and 'out of play' for varying amounts of time. What this represents to me is a fierce desire to recover, completely and further develop their skills and attributes to play on with a fierce determination. This is the backbone of great sides - this determination and willingness to push further as integral parts of the 'group'. Therefore, I see these players being or becoming the 'essence' of the MFC from whence the history of being part of a great and successful team will come. True Grit, they call it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, poita said:

I find it incredible, and highly concerning, that we have so many fringe players coming out of contract next year (Balic, Bugg, Filipovic, Keilty, JKH, Kent, King, Johnstone, McKenna, Smith, Vandenberg, Wagner).

Add in potential retirees and there is a good 12 - 15 players who may need to be replaced this time next year.

Hopefully a few of those guys step up and earn a new contract, but surely best practice would be to spread these types of contracts out and to have delisted a few more players this year so that we could have had some rookie picks. 

Agree 

with Vince and 5-6 fringe players, we will have a few spots to fill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2017 at 11:24 AM, Lucifer's Hero said:

I've extracted the Age and Game profiles:

image.png.b0fe70c4099fa4a9e1438fdce80a2c58.png      image.png.4c0063f19d81303f0e23d517bb6cfec8.png

For the 'Playing Team' stats I've left out the 14 players who have played less than 10 games because our starting 22 will generally come form the top 30, especially in the first half of the year.

Also if some of those 14 get games it is not going to change the average (unless Vince, Jones and Lewis don't play in the same game and youngsters replace them).   To counter the impact of Vince, Jones and Lewis on the profiles the 'Median' is a better indicator than the 'Average'.

Leaving out the 14 will help keep claims like the 'youngest team' and the 'least experienced team' in perspective.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the-age-and-experience-ladder-for-2018-where-your-club-sits/news-story/ec1626ea2a37e51263bd10b9084fc31d

They have the Dees Total List Average Age as the 9th oldest on 24 years and 12th on Average Experience on 56.5 years. 

As noted in my post above I don't think the Average for the list is the best measure - I prefer the Median for the likely playing group. 

Nonetheless the article gives a reasonable indication where we sit approximately vs other teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/11/2017 at 8:04 PM, spirit of norm smith said:

Agree 

with Vince and 5-6 fringe players, we will have a few spots to fill.

In a super draft year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2017 at 11:08 AM, Lucifer's Hero said:

Now that our List is complete I've started a new thread for 2018 Contracts etc:

image.png.d2dde0428ed6a07498ce18fb91dcea64.png

I've merged the 'A' Rookies with the Seniors list as 'A' Rookies can now play at AFL level from round one without the need for promotion or upgrade or relying on a Long Term Injury. 

If you see any changes required please let me know.  If you want to know full details on any player go to:  http://www.melbournefc.com.au/Team/players/senior

Interesting that of 21 players that are OOC in 2018 the high priority ones for me are Petracca and Jetta.  Then the McD brothers and Brayshaw.  I can't see Jetta and Brayshaw going anywhere.  I wouldn't like to see the McD's go but we have good coverage for them at both ends of the ground.  And, I recall reading that discussions are happening with Petracca on a new contract so wouldn't be surprised if there is an announcement before too long - maybe a little Christmas present for us ^_^.

TMAC  can play back and forward and can pinch hit in the Ruck. How valuable is he. Plenty of experience  and a leader. We have coverage you say ? Once in a blue moon type player of his caliber. hmmmmm...........

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/11/2017 at 4:22 PM, poita said:

I find it incredible, and highly concerning, that we have so many fringe players coming out of contract next year (Balic, Bugg, Filipovic, Keilty, JKH, Kent, King, Johnstone, McKenna, Smith, Vandenberg, Wagner).

Add in potential retirees and there is a good 12 - 15 players who may need to be replaced this time next year.

Hopefully a few of those guys step up and earn a new contract, but surely best practice would be to spread these types of contracts out and to have delisted a few more players this year so that we could have had some rookie picks. 

Surely that is the nature of list management. You give fringe players short term contracts so they will always be coming out of contract more regularly.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read somewhere that statistically those best placed for the flag usually have the highest % of list in the 25-29 bracket. I believe we currently sit 17th however we have in 2 years times a massive glut of players that will start to fall into that space to give us a serious window of time to have an extended assault at the flag. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

to have an extended assault at the flag

There is some real meaning in this by-line. Northey had this approach but we were still not quite ready,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/11/2017 at 11:08 AM, Lucifer's Hero said:

Now that our List is complete I've started a new thread for 2018 Contracts etc:

image.png.d2dde0428ed6a07498ce18fb91dcea64.png

I've merged the 'A' Rookies with the Seniors list as 'A' Rookies can now play at AFL level from round one without the need for promotion or upgrade or relying on a Long Term Injury. 

If you see any changes required please let me know.  If you want to know full details on any player go to:  http://www.melbournefc.com.au/Team/players/senior

Interesting that of 21 players that are OOC in 2018 the high priority ones for me are Petracca and Jetta.  Then the McD brothers and Brayshaw.  I can't see Jetta and Brayshaw going anywhere.  I wouldn't like to see the McD's go but we have good coverage for them at both ends of the ground.  And, I recall reading that discussions are happening with Petracca on a new contract so wouldn't be surprised if there is an announcement before too long - maybe a little Christmas present for us ^_^.

Your efforts in this thread are much appreciated LH.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that 2018 is very young but no sign of any of our better players from the 2018 list signing extensions.

Are we going to get the "waiting till after the season ends" crap from all these players?

Petracca in particularly worries me.

While he is showing good signs not a champion yet.

Is he waiting for great early season form to boost his value?

Anyone heard anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, old dee said:

I know that 2018 is very young but no sign of any of our better players from the 2018 list signing extensions.

Are we going to get the "waiting till after the season ends" crap from all these players?

Petracca in particularly worries me.

While he is showing good signs not a champion yet.

Is he waiting for great early season form to boost his value?

Anyone heard anything?

Looking at that list other than Petracca and Tom Mc Donald (UFA) you would think that most would sign on as the year progresses. Good players among the rest but no real stars.

2019 has Hogan and Oliver amongst others. Would like to see them both signed this year but who knows.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A stack of fringe players playing for a new contract. Spots will be hard to come by, we should see some of these fringe players go up a gear. Interesting times ahead.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that Petracca's ticked off this list, surely the next priority is Tommy Mac and Jetta, both are UFAs next year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DemonDave said:

Now that Petracca's ticked off this list, surely the next priority is Tommy Mac and Jetta, both are UFAs next year...

And then Brayshaw, O Mac and Harmes who, going by training reports and AFLX form, is set for a good year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mitch Hannan locked in until 2020.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated for Petracca and Hannan recontracting

image.png.6cc00d0cd2a735d2ee945a4ef6c26cd1.png

Other important re-signings for this year:  Jetta, McDonalds, Brayshaw and maybe J. Smith and Harmes. 

Hope Balic has a good year and gets a few more - it will be good to see what he can do if given a good go at it.

As much as I love all the players in Red and Blue many of the others will need a bit of luck to continue.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Congrats to Mitch. He has the lovely habit of making goals out of nothing. With his leap and ability to play at ground level he can be a difficult match up for the 5th or 6th defender. Will also add to our midfield depth. Good on him

PS. I do like the way that even though it feels like Viney has been around forever and he is co-captain of the club when he comes out of contract at the end od 2020 he will still only be 26

 

Edited by fndee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/02/2018 at 9:11 PM, DemonDave said:

Now that Petracca's ticked off this list, surely the next priority is Tommy Mac and Jetta, both are UFAs next year...

Jetta's going nowhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going by that list Wagner, Vandenberg and McKenna would be extremely lucky to be on the list next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

image.png.fbfbe32551959aac8e7262a453f94342.png

Updated for the re-signing of Oliver.

Looking at the names in the last column (years 2020 to 2022) - that is a star studded line up.  Not only is the cream of our talent locked in , we have locked in our 'spine' for quite a few years.  . 

Spine:

  • Backs:  Lever, Hibberd, Hunt
  • Centre:  Oliver, Petracca
  • Fwds:  Petracca, Hannan
  • Followers: Gawn, Viney

Suspect it is no coincidence the club has locked in the 'spine' first - the rest of the team can be built around them. 

While there are other young up and coming teams there isn't one that have locked in that critical goal to goal line up (...we just need to re-sign Jesse to complete the 'spine').

Excellent list management!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hogan and then Salem, please.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×