It's Time

List Analysis Potential v Reality

For what it's worth SEN posted this today on our A Graders and who is borderline. You could say they fit into our Potential Categories. https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/11/09/how-many-a-graders-does-your-club-have/

A-Graders: Jack Viney, Max Gawn, Clayton Oliver, Michael Hibberd

Borderline: Jake Lever, Jesse Hogan, Christian Petracca

After having just one star for so many years in Nathan Jones, who narrowly misses this list, the Demons are now overflowing with talent. Viney and Oliver are midfield bulls, Gawn is one of the league’s premier ruckman, while Hibberd is the quintessential modern day defender. The trio of Lever, Hogan and Petracca are on their way, if they can maintain their best for prolonged periods.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, It's Time said:

Must be following Clarry as his mentor. He started the same way last pre season and ended up going all right. They need a congo line of Billy followed by Clarry and now followed by Harley (Wonder what his nickname will be. Any suggestions.)

Pencil

On 05/11/2017 at 8:49 AM, Skuit said:

Problem is not consistency. It's role and fit. Pedo isn't a natural KPF and not a starting ruck. But he plays his best footy when he's primarily involved and moving toward goals. Yet he's not a wing and not quite a roving CFH either. He is a very good utility.

Get him fit at the start of the season and playing all the practice games  - compared to his usual month at Casey getting match fit - and I think he has to be considered to play as a key defender. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Get him fit at the start of the season and playing all the practice games  - compared to his usual month at Casey getting match fit - and I think he has to be considered to play as a key defender. 

I thought he was pretty good when he was back there originally (particularly in regards to contested marking) - except painfully slow to move it on. It was different times, but it's kind of the opposite of what Goody is looking for. I personally think we need to look at the strengths and make-up of our key forwards (inc. the medium-talls) and work a forward game-plan to fit the personnel.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2017 at 2:40 PM, It's Time said:

For what it's worth SEN posted this today on our A Graders and who is borderline. You could say they fit into our Potential Categories. https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/11/09/how-many-a-graders-does-your-club-have/

A-Graders: Jack Viney, Max Gawn, Clayton Oliver, Michael Hibberd

Borderline: Jake Lever, Jesse Hogan, Christian Petracca

After having just one star for so many years in Nathan Jones, who narrowly misses this list, the Demons are now overflowing with talent. Viney and Oliver are midfield bulls, Gawn is one of the league’s premier ruckman, while Hibberd is the quintessential modern day defender. The trio of Lever, Hogan and Petracca are on their way, if they can maintain their best for prolonged periods.

Nah we're not. We always overate our list. We barely have 2 players in most independent top 50 lists...

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

5 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Nah we're not. We always overate our list. We barely have 2 players in most independent top 50 lists...

See where we stand at the end of 2018. Another pre season and 20 more games into Oliver, Hogan, Petracca and Lever, plus injury free seasons for Max and Jack, the Demons will have their fair share of A graders!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Quote is from SEN not one of us. In any event the point of this OP IS Potential v Reality. 

14 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Should read. The Demons are overflowing with potential talent.

We all know that it doesnt always pan out that way

Pedo is one of our best and certainly, most reliable, when needed. He lifts, and lifts, and lifts.

The Weed worries me. With a great heritage and all the physical attributes (other than those for which he must be working out in the gym every day) to further his skills set and endeavour. It is as if he cannot read the play and if he does, he does nothing about it. The great Ox and even Lyon should be taking him aside after team training and working on him - teaching him - motivating him - and supervising his pre-season very closely, as two individual coaches working together from their experience(s)  to bring this possibly great young player to some modicum of importance to our side with a role and a potential to excel. What'cha reckon, guys?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Pedo is one of our best and certainly, most reliable, when needed. He lifts, and lifts, and lifts.

The Weed worries me. With a great heritage and all the physical attributes (other than those for which he must be working out in the gym every day) to further his skills set and endeavour. It is as if he cannot read the play and if he does, he does nothing about it. The great Ox and even Lyon should be taking him aside after team training and working on him - teaching him - motivating him - and supervising his pre-season very closely, as two individual coaches working together from their experience(s)  to bring this possibly great young player to some modicum of importance to our side with a role and a potential to excel. What'cha reckon, guys?

Agree with you. For some reason he seemed to go backwards this year compared to his very confident debut last year when he read the play particularly well and took some great contested marks. 

I suspect this year was more about learning the whole forward system with all 6 forwards and his role within that system and that may have set him backwards a bit this year. I agree he didn't seem to be reading the play as well and getting involved. I really hope I'm right and we see a transformed player in 2018. He's very important to the future structure of the team. He's still very young in key forward terms so still has time on his side.

• Like 1