Jump to content

Lucifer's Hero

2018 Membership Thread

Recommended Posts

The current membership figure is a lowly 16,689.  (It picks up MCC memberships and the annual automatic rollovers which occurred on Oct 25). 

I don’t have the comparable figure for Week 4 of Oct last year.

But the figures for week 3 of October in recent years were:

  • 2017: 21,890.  2018 Shortfall at least 5,291 (24%)
  • 2016: 19,026.  2018 Shortfall at least 2,337
  • 2014: 17,625.  2018 Shortfall at least 936

It is reasonable to assume that it is the diehard supporters that pay up 'early'.  So it would be alarming to the club that at least 24% of last year’s diehard renewals have not occurred.  Equally alarming would be we are under the equivalent 2014 figure (ie after the announcement of Roos as the new coach).

If 24% fewer diehard supporters have not renewed, one wonders how many of the new members that took us to 42,000 will also fall by the wayside. 

We can all guess the reasons for the non-renewals:

  • Round 23 capitulation
  • Missing finals
  • The post round 23 communication vacuum from the club
  • The early finals ticket brochure fiasco.
  • (and maybe for some the handling/departure of a fan favourite)

On DL we have done those to death and on here we are quite forgiving and our belief in the club and its management, while questioned at times, is very resilient.

But rightly or wrongly those events hurt the club and seem enough for members to start voting with their wallets.  DL posters can ridicule them and say they are not 'true supporters' but they have the right to not take out a membership if they are not happy with what the club has shown.  

PJ and co really have their hands full to get the disenchanted members back.  I hope he has some aces up his sleeve because patience seems to have run out.

If the trend doesn't reverse it will really hurt financially which we can ill afford with the ordinary fixture we have been given.  It will also hurt PJ's attempts to get a front of jumper sponsor ( I believe AHG will not be renewing their sponsorship). 

We might be lucky to reach 40,000 for 2018.:(

FWIW - I did my bit and signed up last week.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I renewed 14 family memberships and signed up 3 new family members.

You can add 17 to the 2018 tally.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am one of the group who has not renewed. Took my name off the auto-renew list late last season. MFC has no-one to blame but itself.

Keep under delivering and this will happen more and more often. The final straw for me was when i heard ( after round 23 )how our players were smart-mouthing Stk late in the year with ( as reported ) "What are you guys doing in September" or words to that effect. To miss the finals after displaying such rank arrogance had me livid.

No more blind obedience from me. Club will earn my money the hard way. That so many others will have made the same decision should come as no shock to MFC management.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Each to their own but I have signed up to the Luni bin again along with my family. 

Let the fun and games begin. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

Each to their own but I have signed up to the Luni bin again along with my family. 

Let the fun and games begin. 

Thx for acknowledging that people can make the decision not to spend hard earned on memberships without resorting to criticism or abuse, which is so often the case. Im sure it wont take long for someone to fill the void though.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The current membership figure is a lowly 16,689.  (It picks up MCC memberships and the annual automatic rollovers which occurred on Oct 25). 

I don’t have the comparable figure for Week 4 of Oct last year.

But the figures for week 3 of October in recent years were:

  • 2017: 21,890.  2018 Shortfall at least 5,291 (24%)
  • 2016: 19,026.  2018 Shortfall at least 2,337
  • 2014: 17,625.  2018 Shortfall at least 936

It is reasonable to assume that it is the diehard supporters that pay up 'early'.  So it would be alarming to the club that at least 24% of last year’s diehard renewals have not occurred.  Equally alarming would be we are under the equivalent 2014 figure (ie after the announcement of Roos as the new coach).

If 24% fewer diehard supporters have not renewed, one wonders how many of the new members that took us to 42,000 will also fall by the wayside. 

We can all guess the reasons for the non-renewals:

  • Round 23 capitulation
  • Missing finals
  • The post round 23 communication vacuum from the club
  • The early finals ticket brochure fiasco.
  • (and maybe for some the handling/departure of a fan favourite)

On DL we have done those to death and on here we are quite forgiving and our belief in the club and its management, while questioned at times, is very resilient.

But rightly or wrongly those events hurt the club and seem enough for members to start voting with their wallets.  DL posters can ridicule them and say they are not 'true supporters' but they have the right to not take out a membership if they are not happy with what the club has shown.  

PJ and co really have their hands full to get the disenchanted members back.  I hope he has some aces up his sleeve because patience seems to have run out.

If the trend doesn't reverse it will really hurt financially which we can ill afford with the ordinary fixture we have been given.  It will also hurt PJ's attempts to get a front of jumper sponsor ( I believe AHG will not be renewing their sponsorship). 

We might be lucky to reach 40,000 for 2018.:(

I would be disappointed if the reasons you stated for not renewing are real but I am not arguing that people wouldn't  be that superficial. 

It's good that you raise this as it makes it hard for the club and loyal supporters to challenge the absolute disdain that the AFL treats our club as it proves we are lightweights compared to most of the others. 

We have improved in so many areas as a club but not in the eyes of the AFL as fixtures of recent years and other decisions attest (eg $500k fine for being NOT GUILTY of tanking). We continue to be rogered at any opportunity.  I hate the style of the bullies in clubland but they get what they want from the AFL. If you have the brand and the memberships you will get your way - just shout louder if it doesn't happen initially. We can't use that tactic because we are not respected.

I don't know if anything other than success will change things but we can play a role. I cannot fault the club in it's efforts and direction to achieve this and I and the other 21,899 will enjoy it so much more knowing we have and will always stick fat.

I have personally been responsible for 10 ongoing MFC Memberships over the years and see it as a responsibility to sell and lobby membership to 'barrackers'. The incumbent staff/board can't do it without the support of us true believers. We finally have more than hope to sell so challenge those supporters you know to be members. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Crystal Dees said:

that superficial. 

It only took until the very next post....................

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ding said:

Thx for acknowledging that people can make the decision not to spend hard earned on memberships without resorting to criticism or abuse, which is so often the case. Im sure it wont take long for someone to fill the void though.

No doubt this is demonland after all ding!!!!

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Today I renewed 14 family memberships and signed up 3 new family members.

You can add 17 to the 2018 tally.

Plus 2 tridents from me today.

Close to finals this year. Expecting better next year.

Glass half full for mine.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

 

We can all guess the reasons for the non-renewals:

  • Round 23 capitulation
  • Missing finals
  • The post round 23 communication vacuum from the club
  • The early finals ticket brochure fiasco.
  • (and maybe for some the handling/departure of a fan favourite)

 

You can add money, which is probably at the top of the list. 

Not sure about other categories, but my membership has gone up $50 - pretty steep (more than 8 per cent) in a single year. As a result, I haven't (yet) bought the 2 additional memberships I usually do for my niece and nephew, who live in Qld and support Brisbane.

Also, one of the consequences of relatively low GA ticket prices, and the ease with which you can rock up to a game at the 'G at siren time, is that people feel comfortable taking a wait-and-see approach on on buying membership.

Would be interested to hear if the price rise is an across-the-board thing or just in certain categories? 

  

Edited by Grapeviney
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ding said:

It only took until the very next post....................

I noticed - but you don't want criticism for your criticism!!!

We have all felt that way over the years but most value the loyalty needed to persevere. Melbourne is one of only 2 clubs who have improved each of the past 4 years so your underdelivering reference is harsh. Of course players will do and say silly things on and off the field occasionally. Look at events of this week. See the bigger picture and remember why you started barracking. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Plus 2 tridents from me today.

Close to finals this year. Expecting better next year.

Glass half full for mine.

Well done Moonie! I understand the second Trident would be purely a donation as no one would want to go with you.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Crystal Dees said:

I noticed - but you don't want criticism for your criticism!!!

We have all felt that way over the years but most value the loyalty needed to persevere. Melbourne is one of only 2 clubs who have improved each of the past 4 years so your underdelivering reference is harsh. Of course players will do and say silly things on and off the field occasionally. Look at events of this week. See the bigger picture and remember why you started barracking. 

 

The club stated for the past 2 seasons that THEY expected finals..... we missed out both times. How is that not under-delivering?

Events of this, and every other preceding year of my life are irrelevant. Wins for next year are all that matters. If you and others think you need to buy memberships each year without question, well, ..... awesome.

I can and will decide for myself if the club has earnt my cash. For the 2018 season they havent. It may happen or it may not. Wins will decide, not blind faith.

 

Edited by ding
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because I am lavishly rich, I rolled my Trident membership over again. However, I did get a little shaky as our end of season capitulation is still sticking in my guts.

([censored], I hope Moonie and his ghostly friend is nowhere near me)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ding said:

The club stated for the past 2 seasons that THEY expected finals..... we missed out both times. How is that not under-delivering?

Events of this, and every other preceding year of my life are irrelevant. Wins for net year are all that matters. If you and other think you need to buy memberships each year without question, well, ..... awesome.

I can and will decide for myself if the club has earnt my cash. For the 2018 season they havent. It may happen or it may not. Wins will decide, not blind faith.

 

Bye   look forward to you jumping back on the wagon with success

2 x Trident first week on sale and why not

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Round 23 cost the club far more than 4 points...

as did round 22 in 2016.

I did not expect finals in 2016 but the way we gave up against Carlton left a sour taste in then mouth of many supporters.

To see it repeated in even worse form in 2017 was heart breaking.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Satyriconhome said:

Bye

MFC said that to thousands of memberships with our round 23 performance. No doubt you have signed up yourself and all your pets to make up the difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ding said:

MFC said that to thousands of memberships with our round 23 performance. No doubt you have signed up yourself and all your pets to make up the difference.

I edited my post, again Bye  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

I edited my post, again Bye  

How ever will i manage......

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ding said:

The club stated for the past 2 seasons that THEY expected finals..... we missed out both times. How is that not under-delivering?

Events of this, and every other preceding year of my life are irrelevant. Wins for next year are all that matters. If you and others think you need to buy memberships each year without question, well, ..... awesome.

I can and will decide for myself if the club has earnt my cash. For the 2018 season they havent. It may happen or it may not. Wins will decide, not blind faith.

 

I see.....the club aimed to make finals and didn't. Your right - unforgivable. Let's strive for the spoon and if we do better - you'll come back? 

As Harry Who once said.........

Amazing....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Crystal Dees said:

I see.....the club aimed to make finals and didn't. Your right - unforgivable. Let's strive for the spoon and if we do better - you'll come back? 

As Harry Who once said.........

Amazing....

 

The club failed to deliver what THEY expected. For the second year in a row, after many other years of even worse performances. 

 Im guessing English is your second language ? 

Dont bother replying as you are on the ignore list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m still [censored] about how the season ended so I can see why people have jumped off, only 1 thing will fix it and that’s to have a very good start to the season, at this stage I would say we have zero chance of hitting 40k members, and have another stuff up like this year we are in real trouble will be a massive year for this club 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, brendan said:

I’m still [censored] about how the season ended so I can see why people have jumped off, only 1 thing will fix it and that’s to have a very good start to the season, at this stage I would say we have zero chance of hitting 40k members, and have another stuff up like this year we are in real trouble will be a massive year for this club 

Thing is, a good start to the year will not be enough to bring many back. We could ace the entire pre-bye period and still miss finals. That is the real measure for a lot of ex-members. Finally bloody deliver. No more promises.

DELIVER Dees. Then and only then will i consider rejoining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ding said:

Thing is, a good start to the year will not be enough to bring many back. We could ace the entire pre-bye period and still miss finals. That is the real measure for a lot of ex-members. Finally bloody deliver. No more promises.

DELIVER Dees. Then and only then will i consider rejoining.

Goodwin knows it. That’s why he took the punt with Watts. 

No doubt about it. He knows his coaching career is on the edge...

Round 23 was pathetic, a few players are bloody lucky to survive

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×