Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Whispering_Jack

Mature Age Recruits

Recommended Posts

As things stand at the moment, Melbourne's 2018 draft selections start at #29 which means a fair slab of the best young talent available will be gone and the club could well be looking outside the square at some mature age recruits.

ESPN's Chris Doerre (Knightmare) has compiled this article on the best mature age AFL prospects and it would not surprise if the club lands at least one of the players mentioned.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We badly need a mature age ruckman. I wonder if Spence will get rookie listed if we don't draft one..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Beetle said:

We badly need a mature age ruckman. I wonder if Spence will get rookie listed if we don't draft one..

No we don't. We played better with Tommy Mc and Pedda than we did with Gawn, yet alone playing the Spence. Mitch King will come on a bit next year and be there if we are desperate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fritsch should be well and truly up for consideration.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our man Fritsch has to be in our thoughts with one of the 2nd rounders. After that it looks a list of later round guys but every year a few bob up in top 40 contention. Luke Ryan and Tom Stewart stood out last year though as gun defenders, not sure there's any of them this year.

Midfielders are a bit dime a dozen.

Our last pick might be one where we really take a flyer on a mature age guy.

Interesting to see Dom Barry on the list. We need a pacey wingman with elite endurance. That would sure be a shock to bring him back.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sambano sounds promising with '32 goals from 11 games (. . . ) who won the NEAFL Rising Star Award, is super-talented and will appeal to AFL clubs due not only to his goalkicking instincts but his tackling pressure'. 

But do we take a risk down the mature-age path with a 20y/o?

And then there's Liam Ryan, who won the Bernie Naylor: 73 goals from 23 games and clocking 2.89 seconds across 20 metres as a 'human high-light reel'- but an even greater risk at 21 years old.

Do these clips remind him of anyone . . . specifically someone once in the red and blue?

And a few other freakish talents up north and probably available to boot. I hope we take a punt and feel that we are in a prime position to do so. Go Dees!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Sambano sounds promising with '32 goals from 11 games (. . . ) who won the NEAFL Rising Star Award, is super-talented and will appeal to AFL clubs due not only to his goalkicking instincts but his tackling pressure'. 

But do we take a risk down the mature-age path with a 20y/o?

And then there's Liam Ryan, who won the Bernie Naylor: 73 goals from 23 games and clocking 2.89 seconds across 20 metres as a 'human high-light reel'- but an even greater risk at 21 years old.

Do these clips remind him of anyone . . . specifically someone once in the red and blue?

And a few other freakish talents up north and probably available to boot. I hope we take a punt and feel that we are in a prime position to do so. Go Dees!

A Jurrah/Wizz hybrid? Certainly can take a hangar, would have liked to see some other skills displayed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Interesting to see Dom Barry on the list. We need a pacey wingman with elite endurance. That would sure be a shock to bring him back.

 @Demons1858 pointed out from an article published in the herald sun that we may be able to pick him up under "exceptional and compelling circumstances"

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/melbourne/dom-barry-quits-afl-leaves-melbourne-to-return-home/news-story/09b42dc063721d6311b7f8864ec17530?nk=a8f4800b894fb20c0cadad0828a503b3-1508335905

Edited by Deeprived Childhood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Deeprived Childhood said:

 @Demons1858 pointed out from an article published in the herald sun that we may be able to pick him up under "exceptional and compelling circumstances"

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/melbourne/dom-barry-quits-afl-leaves-melbourne-to-return-home/news-story/09b42dc063721d6311b7f8864ec17530?nk=a8f4800b894fb20c0cadad0828a503b3-1508335905

Check the SANFL footage and stats. Runs wide to create space. A poor-man's Stretch and not what we need right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

A Jurrah/Wizz hybrid? Certainly can take a hangar, would have liked to see some other skills displayed. 

Jurrah in the air for me. But, yes, it was odd they didn't show any footage of shots on goal/ground-ball gathers in that package despite a return of 73 goals from 23 matches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Skuit said:

Sambano sounds promising with '32 goals from 11 games (. . . ) who won the NEAFL Rising Star Award, is super-talented and will appeal to AFL clubs due not only to his goalkicking instincts but his tackling pressure'. 

But do we take a risk down the mature-age path with a 20y/o?

And then there's Liam Ryan, who won the Bernie Naylor: 73 goals from 23 games and clocking 2.89 seconds across 20 metres as a 'human high-light reel'- but an even greater risk at 21 years old.

Do these clips remind him of anyone . . . specifically someone once in the red and blue?

And a few other freakish talents up north and probably available to boot. I hope we take a punt and feel that we are in a prime position to do so. Go Dees!

Can he kick ??:o

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Can he kick ??:o

73 goals might be a clue, bub

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, daisycutter said:

73 goals might be a clue, bub

Fair enough...didnt see too many. Unusual for a highlight reel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, beelzebub said:

Fair enough...didn't see too many. Unusual for a highlight reel.

yes, repeating each mark three times was unnecessary and how bad was the soundtrack

maybe was only ever supposed to be a marking highlights video

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:30 PM, daisycutter said:

73 goals might be a clue, bub

But maybe he kicked 73 from 490 shots dc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

But maybe he kicked 73 from 490 shots dc.

a la Jackovitch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/10/2017 at 10:31 AM, beelzebub said:

Fair enough...didnt see too many. Unusual for a highlight reel.

He's actually a beautiful kick and I saw him kick some sensational goals during the season which I'm surprised didn't make the highlights reel.

As I've said my knock on him is work ethic, second efforts and a real issue to deal with quality defenders which he's going to get at AFL level.

Not sure he can take the next step

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, please, want blokes to immediately push the bottom 6 in our match day 22.

We want to push Salem, Harmes, Pedersen, Stretch, Vince, Hannan, Melksham, et al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liam Ryan yes yes yes.  

He wont be a 7-10 year player. Look at 4-5 years and has some sensational moves.  Worth a punt at pick 36,47

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liam Ryan and Bayley Fritsch with picks 29 and 36.

From a probability perspective they're more likely to succeed at the AFL level than 18 year old prospects (at those picks). They're also more likely to have an immediate impact, either directly on the field or indirectly by increasing competition for spots.

If the club genuinely believes Ryan has the talent to succeed, I hope they back him in, along with their new indigenous program (led by Matthew "Wrecker" Whelan). I'm sure Jetta and Garlett would also help facilitate his transition into the AFL.

Those two plus our current stock of forwards will offer sufficient depth and the potential to develop a potent forward line for years to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oskar Baker sounds like a good prospect as an attacking outside player. 

Bearing in mind that the only one I know anything about is Dom Barry, who I would quite like to have back on our list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

Oskar Baker sounds like a good prospect as an attacking outside player. 

Bearing in mind that the only one I know anything about is Dom Barry, who I would quite like to have back on our list. 

Needs to harden up a bit IMO. Was too light and brushed off the ball too easily for mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2017 at 12:47 AM, Skuit said:

Sambano sounds promising with '32 goals from 11 games (. . . ) who won the NEAFL Rising Star Award, is super-talented and will appeal to AFL clubs due not only to his goalkicking instincts but his tackling pressure'. 

But do we take a risk down the mature-age path with a 20y/o?

And then there's Liam Ryan, who won the Bernie Naylor: 73 goals from 23 games and clocking 2.89 seconds across 20 metres as a 'human high-light reel'- but an even greater risk at 21 years old.

Do these clips remind him of anyone . . . specifically someone once in the red and blue?

And a few other freakish talents up north and probably available to boot. I hope we take a punt and feel that we are in a prime position to do so. Go Dees!

I know highlights videos are deceptive but boy can this bloke fly and then hold them. Looks like an indigenous Robbo. One point, there were no highlights of his ground play, picking up the ball, running, kicking, tackling etc.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×