Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Rd 1 Team with Lever

Deespicable

On 21/11/2017 at 10:40 PM, CHF said:

I am not convinced that he [VINCE] will be there. There are a lot of players that will be gunning for his spot in the team and I don't think any player can take his inclusion as a given.

One would hope that those days have passed.

On 23/11/2017 at 6:19 PM, machine11 said:

Frosty will may well become a great player...though no certainty

FB: Jetta. Oscar. Hibberd

HB: Lever.  J Smith.  Hunt

C: Jones. Viney.  Salem

HF: ANB.   Hogan.  Melksham

FF: Garlett. Tom Mc.  Hannan 

Foll: Gawn. Oliver.  Petracca

int: Tyson - inside/outside mid

Lewis - back

Brayshaw - mid/forward 

Harmes/Vanders/Fritsch/Spargo - forward 

I still think Lever is better loose, so finding that 2nd taller defender is hard. Right now I think Smith can pinch it from Frost. He's just as good an athlete and has huge upside. 

Lewis will take Vince's spot as the loose half back kicker. 

Salem and Brayshaw have to get fit and play midfield. They need to be around the ball. 

Theres a spot for a marking or pressure forward depending on how they use Hannan, Petracca and Hogan. Too early to put them in but Spargo and Fritsch will be in the frame.

if our young mids get super fit we'll be able to play the game on our terms and have a very good team. If not, the cracks will appear. 

• Like 1

Best 25

Jetta. Omcd. Lever

Salem. Frost. Hibberd

Melksham. Viney.  Hunt

Petracca. tmcd. Brayshaw

Gartlett. Hogan. Hannan. 

Gawn. Oliver.  Jones 

Tyson. Lewis.  Vince. Pedersen 

To move into best 22: Harmes  Stretch  Anb

to Step up in 2018: Weideman Balic J.Smith  Maynard

That’s 29 within the core team

Alot to do -(last chances)  7- Bugg. JKH  T Smith. Kent  Vandenburg Wagner McKenna 

Development - 4- M.King  Kielty  D.Johnstone Filipovic 

New kids- 4 - Spargo  Fritsch  Petty  Baker 

On 11/25/2017 at 6:20 AM, Clint Bizkit said:

FB: Jetta Frost Hibberd

HB: Brayshaw Lever Salem

C: Hunt Oliver ANB

HF: Petracca Hogan Melksham

FF: Garlett T. McDonald Hannan

Foll: Gawn Viney Jones

Int: Lewis Pedersen Vince Tyson

Like this team selection of yours, Clint Bizkit. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

I still think Lever is better loose, so finding that 2nd taller defender is hard. Right now I think Smith can pinch it from Frost. He's just as good an athlete and has huge upside. 

Agree with that comment.

Frost has played 50-odd games compared to Joel Smith's 3, yet I feel more comfortable when Smith is in possession of the ball. He seems to be more calm and composed even though his kicking is still rough around the edges and he is still fairly raw himself. But generally, I believe his decision making is better than Frost's. 

When Frost gains possession it turns into a lucky dip party. He might pull something amazing out of the box which fools supporters into thinking he is a "gun" or he might pull out something that you wish you'd never seen. And it's for this reason that I don't like him playing in the backline. Smith is also only 3cm shorter than Frost with a higher leap so I don't believe height is an issue. It's basically Oscar or Frost but not both as our second key tall imo.

Now that the draft is done and there are few murmurings around the place of positional change for some players and a planned start for Weideman, my round 1 side is as follows:

B:             Jetta             O-Mac          J. Smith

HB:         Hibberd          Lever             Hunt 

C:             Lewis            Viney            Salem

HF:          Fritsch           Hogan          Petracca

F:             T-Mac          Weideman      Garlett

R:             Gawn             Oliver            Jones

Int -         Brayshaw       ANB           Vince            

Melksham   

I've made a priority of putting our best ball users on the wings as well as bringing Hibberd up to a flank. Hunt remains the other line-breaker on the opposite flank. Vince had many chances playing that back-flank role but I've taken him out due to the amount of brain fades he seems to have with ball in hand. He can now be part of a rotation.

Lewis and Salem over Tyson on the wings. I've seen Salem already in the flesh and he has come back in the best condition of his life and is leading his running group. Both of those guys are far better users than Tyson and also offer more positional versatility. Tyson is now a second-tier inside mid imo. 

ANB gets a spot for his hard-work, dedication and last years season. But I definitely don't want him as a permanent half-forward because I don't believe he adds enough. Fritsch is a Hannan 2.0 and possesses everything we've been lacking. His foot-skills and pace will be vital to us converting inside 50 entries. 

It's been reported that Trac is training with the mids, but I've seen him at training and his tank is still not where it needs to be to play midfield full-time. Might play more minutes through their though.

T-Mac and Weed will work in this line-up I believe. We've got far better users in the right positions in this side. T-Mac and Weed are very strong overhead as long as the ball is kicked to advantage and this team provides the best chance for that to happen. Hogan to be a major problem playing true CHF. His field kicking for a big guy is underrated. 

Spargo the other on who could get a spot ahead of Meksham/ANB.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

In the team below I've highlighted 13 players who I believe pick themselves.  They ordinarily wouldn't get dropped in a team that is quite capable of winning more games than it loses.  5 of the 13 are in the backline & the spine contains 4 of 5 of those 13.  The starting 4 in the middle are of those 13 as well.

It's then just a matter of filling in the blanks - which is the subjective & difficult part.  Much will depend on training form,  pre-season form and injuries.  If they've earmarked Weideman for round 1 then he still has to earn that spot.  However,  I'm hoping the weed can earn that spot. 

The draftees are the unknowns but it wouldn't surprise me if 1 or 2 make the starting 22 sooner rather than later.  Again,  excellent training form can influence the MC.  I've included Baker in the 22 for that reason but who knows?  Spargo is another smoky who could press for a spot. 

We do need an injection of pace so the make-up of the side may well accommodate a few players with that attribute.

B         Hibberd       Oscar         Jetta

HB      Hunt             Lever          Lewis

C         Salem          Oliver         Jones

HF      ANB              Hogan        Petracca

F         Garlett          T-Mac        Melksham

R         Gawn           Tyson         Viney

INT     Vince            Frost           Brayshaw    Baker

Emer  Harmes        Spargo        J Smith       vandenBerg   

Edited by Macca

Queries remain over Salem, VDB and especially Brayshaw for me.

We need them to be at their best for us to win at least one final. 2 out of 3 aint bad.

I think Frost and Oscar will be better this year.

I have Pederson getting early games and if not injured, having an excellent year.

I cant see Lewis and Vince playing more than the 1st few games as they lack concentration. It wont be overlooked. This may play into Salems hands although he seems to have similar issues with discipline.

We have the cattle but next year we need mids that feed forwards better than  this year.

Edited by Franky_31
spelling
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Best 25

Jetta. Omcd. Lever

Salem. Frost. Hibberd

Melksham. Viney.  Hunt

Petracca. tmcd. Brayshaw

Gartlett. Hogan. Hannan. 

Gawn. Oliver.  Jones 

Tyson. Lewis.  Vince. Pedersen 

To move into best 22: Harmes  Stretch  Anb

to Step up in 2018: Weideman Balic J.Smith  Maynard

That’s 29 within the core team

Alot to do -(last chances)  7- Bugg. JKH  T Smith. Kent  Vandenburg Wagner McKenna 

Development - 4- M.King  Kielty  D.Johnstone Filipovic 

New kids- 4 - Spargo  Fritsch  Petty  Baker 

Team looks very good, couple of minor tweaks:

Harmes in FP, (Hannan to bench) & ANB in for Vince & Pedersen.

I would swap Hogan with TMac. 

10 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

B:             Jetta             O-Mac          J. Smith

HB:         Hibberd          Lever             Hunt 

C:             Lewis            Viney            Salem

HF:          Fritsch           Hogan          Petracca

F:             T-Mac          Weideman      Garlett

R:             Gawn             Oliver            Jones

Int -         Brayshaw       ANB           Vince            

Melksham   

Interesting thoughts.

I'll caution on Joel Smith's disposal and say we haven't given him enough rope to show mistakes yet. I'll also say Frost made good progress in his game with the ball in 2017 - running out of trouble not in to it and hitting up shorter options. The main reason to pick Joel is on the basis that I hope he reads the play much better and if we are going to be zoning so much that's such a vital aspect. Let's see if he can come on this preseason.

I can't see Vince as part of the best team and I think Lewis is training with the defenders. Lewis' two way running was caught out big time last year and I think he'll be better keeping the game in front of him at half back. I'd add Tyson or Stretch - a young midfielder capable of running all day over Vince. Can always shuffle Salem to half back and Lewis to wing depending on match ups.

Trac is now running in the main group like an AFL player. Still a long way off a top end midfielders running but he's probably ahead of where Clarry was this time last year. Hopefully he improves. Either way I think he'll start playing equally mid and forward if not more mid.

I can't see 3 talls working, especially when none of them are great tacklers and chasers. The way to make it work would be to play Hogan on ball in rotations which can certainly happen but then it takes away our best forward. I'd be adding another forward be it medium or small and using Petracca, Hannan and/or Fritsch as the 3rd or 4th taller options.

• Like 1

Backline

N.Jetta                             O.McDonald            M.Hibberd    

J.Hunt                               J.Lever                  A.Brayshaw

Centreline

C.Salem                             C.Oliver                C.Petracca

Forward line

M.Hannan                         T.McDonald           J.Melksham

J.Garlett                            J.Hogan                B.Fritsch

Rucks

M.Gawn                             N.Jones                 J.Viney

Interchange

A. Neal Bullen        J.Harmes         D.Tyson        J.Lewis

Emergencies

C. Pedersen            C.Maynard        B.Vince

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 1

Round 1 with depth...

Back end

Jetta (Baker). OMac (Petty)  Lever (Smith)

Hunt (McKenna). Frost (Keilty) Hibberd (Wagner)

Midfield

Lewis (Stretch)  Brayshaw (Maynard)  Vince (JKH)

Gawn  (King). Oliver (Vanders ). Viney  (Balic)

Front end

ANB (Johnstone). Hogan. (Smith). Petracca. (Fritsch)

Garlett  (Spargo) Weed  (Pedersen) TMac  (Flipper)

Changelings (players 19 - 25)

Salem (Bugg). Tyson. (Harmes)  Jones  (Hannan ). Melksh am  (Kent)

• Like 1

On 26/11/2017 at 9:45 AM, ProDee said:

I see people are including Pedersen in their teams.

If we're fit and healthy I'll be shocked highly surprised if Pedersen is playing AFL.

No way we should ever be playing a forwardline of Hogan, TMac and Pedersen. Unless, as you say, we're ravaged by injures. Even then. We want to hold the ball in better in 2018. Those three will not help. We need Jesse and Tom to improve rapidly in this area as it is.

Pedo will get games in 2018, but if he plays 10 or more we've been hit by a wave of injuries. I'd prefer we play a bulked up Weideman ahead of him.

On 27/11/2017 at 9:22 AM, Petraccattack said:

Backline

N.Jetta                             O.McDonald            M.Hibberd    

J.Hunt                               J.Lever                  A.Brayshaw

Centreline

C.Salem                             C.Oliver                C.Petracca

Forward line

M.Hannan                         T.McDonald           J.Melksham

J.Garlett                            J.Hogan                B.Fritsch

Rucks

M.Gawn                             N.Jones                 J.Viney

Interchange

A. Neal Bullen        J.Harmes         D.Tyson        J.Lewis

Emergencies

C. Pedersen            C.Maynard        B.Vince

I quite like this team. That centreline has a lot of promise. Gus off half back is nice too. I'd like to see Spaego given a chance ahead of Fritsch, but we'll see.

I'd always have Jesse at CHF as he's a true CHF, but there is a need for versatility with KPFs, so I'd expect him to roam further up the ground, but also go deep on occasions.

What I love about this team and our list at the moment is I count 14 guys who can go through the midfield if required (and have in the past). That is incredible modern day versatility. They are: Brayshaw, Salem, Petracca, Oliver, Hannan, Melksham, Garlett, Hogan, Viney, Jones, ANB, Harmes, Tyson and Lewis. This makes us wonderfully unpredictable. Our MC could also throw Hunt in there as well, while TMac can play second ruck. ??? Winning!

• 2 months later...

This is getting tough. Could easily swap around those names on the bench and emergency.

B         Hibberd       Oscar         Jetta

HB      Hunt           Lever          Lewis

C         Salem          Oliver         Jones

HF      ANB              Hogan        Petracca

F         Garlett          T-Mac        Melksham

R         Gawn           Tyson         Viney

INT     Vince       Harmes        Bugg        Fritsch

E:  Hannan  Pedersen   Brayshaw  Stretch   Frost

Edited by P-man
  • Like 1

B: JETTA, O.MCDONALD, LEWIS

HB: HIBBERD, LEVER, HUNT

C: PETRACCA, OLIVER, TYSON

HF: MELKSHAM, T.MCDONALD, NEAL-BULLEN

F: GARLETT, HOGAN, FRITSCH

FOLL: GAWN, JONES, VINEY

IC: VINCE, SALEM, BRAYSHAW, HARMES

EMERG: HANNAN, BUGG, STRETCH

6 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

B: JETTA, O.MCDONALD, LEWIS

HB: HIBBERD, LEVER, HUNT

C: PETRACCA, OLIVER, TYSON

HF: MELKSHAM, T.MCDONALD, NEAL-BULLEN

F: GARLETT, HOGAN, FRITSCH

FOLL: GAWN, JONES, VINEY

IC: VINCE, SALEM, BRAYSHAW, HARMES

EMERG: HANNAN, BUGG, STRETCH

I simply can't understand how you, and others, select Lever at CHB. He has never played a key defender role for Adelaide. We saw today how loose he can be.

unless an opponent is only playing one key forward I think Frost must play. That doesn't matter--Lever is mobile, great interceptor but no-one in SA rates him as a key defender 

15 minutes ago, Farmer said:

I simply can't understand how you, and others, select Lever at CHB. He has never played a key defender role for Adelaide. We saw today how loose he can be.

unless an opponent is only playing one key forward I think Frost must play. That doesn't matter--Lever is mobile, great interceptor but no-one in SA rates him as a key defender 

No one rates Frost as key defender. They will play 2 talls and that will Oscar and Lever there is a reason Frost didn't play today.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Farmer said:

positions mean nothing - he plays as a 'tall defender', which traditionally get named at fb / chb

based on jlt1, i'll go with these for round 1:

B: Jetta - O Mac - Hibberd
HB: Vince - Lever - Lewis
C: Jones - Salem - Hunt
HF: Petracca - Hogan - Melksham
F: Fritsch - T Mac - Garlett
Foll: Gawn - Oliver - Viney
I/c: Harmes - Tyson - Hannan - ANB
Emerg: Brayshaw - Pedersen - Bugg

bugg would be my 'in' if tyson / viney are not fit

and i would still like to see pedo in there as tall coverage, but it seems less rather than more likely that we'll go with that option 

20 minutes ago, Farmer said:

You don't understand the modern game.  Lever is the general who is the zone king.  Yes, he'll occasionally get caught out, but his reading of the play is his greatest asset. 

He could easily play tight and be a lesser player.   But that wouldn't make a lot of sense would it ?

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, ProDee said:

You don't understand the modern game.  Lever is the general who is the zone king.  Yes, he'll occasionally get caught out, but his reading of the play is his greatest asset. 

He could easily play tight and be a lesser player.   But that wouldn't make a lot of sense would it ?

The older Lever gets, the more he'll bulk up too. I see him following a similar trajectory to Rance, except without the years of rubbish and turnovers. 

Completely agree with this post and Lever's composure with ball in hand adds to the stabilisation of our defensive line too.

• Like 1