Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Brad Green

Whispering_Jack

The Big Dance - Grand Final Day, 2017

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Skin Deeamond said:

You are right. Why can’t we get some stars and improve the culture? Richmond have turned themselves around in one year!!!! 

It took a lot longer than that, you could argue this is the culmination of close to a decade of hard work. Our culture has been rocked by some truly disgusting pathetic decisions in the past (recent and not so recent), we are digging ourselves out of a bigger pit than anybody. 

As for Goodwin, no he's not a great coach yet. Not many are in their first year at the helm. But he's got some good ideas and a fresh approach, now he just needs to fix our mental fragility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just feel like we were not far off it. We had injuries, and we dropped some early games which are hard to justify. 

If not for those two things we would have been in it dor  top 4 position and maybe a chance to build momentum to a decent run in finals.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

I have that effect Ben E. But I suspect you're referring to feeling like you'd stepped into exercise yard of the Melbourne Remand Centre (albeit we were protected by glass)

Perhaps, but a few Carlton Draughts deadened the pain, glass or no glass. Will we get to see the Dees play on this day and win in our lifetime?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Were not that far off. Just need to find the right recruits for 2018, have a good run with injury and a fair draw and we will be fine.

Adelaide feels like a ghost town right now, pretty happy right now :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swan St is going nuts, by the way 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great win and good luck to them.  Shows what you can do with a bit of luck, everyone committed and a change up to game style and set up that is different to how most others set up (mosquito fleet up forward), manic one on one in your face (CLOSE DOWN THEIR [censored] SPACE ASAP) footy!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jibroni said:

Were not that far off. Just need to find the right recruits for 2018, have a good run with injury and a fair draw and we will be fine.

Adelaide feels like a ghost town right now, pretty happy right now :)

Congratulation Richmond on winning the Premiership cup.

SH T HAPPENS

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still cannot believe it. What year is this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[censored] it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more yellow and black rendition will send me over the edge.

Thankfully, the tram to North Melb is devoid of those Richmond pricks. 

Time to divert my attention to trade period and AFLW. Go Daisy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They got their midfield right by bringing in Caddy & Prestia, 2 tough inside mids to do the 'extraction', for want of a better word. This allowed Dusty & Cotchin to play where they're much more dangerous - in taking the ball away from clearances, and being link men through the corridor.

They worked out their defence, got the right mix of players in the right positions, and were able to play them together for just about the whole season. They had very few injuries or suspensions. They developed into a really tight unit. And they played one on one, not zone, for maximum pressure.

Didn't they hit upon the small forwards by accident when 2 of their 3 tall forwards got injured in the same game? They discovered that was the way to create forward pressure.

They also do smart things like kick into space, and run the ball in waves, rather than kick, through the corridor. And they mix up their forward thrusts - they aren't predictable. Adelaide were very predictable.

Hardwick clearly sat himself down and had a real think about how to build the side. Yes, they were lucky with the draw and with injuries. But a lot of the credit has to go to Hardwick. And Neil Balme is the best of the best as footy manager.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Akum said:

They got their midfield right by bringing in Caddy & Prestia, 2 tough inside mids to do the 'extraction', for want of a better word. This allowed Dusty & Cotchin to play where they're much more dangerous - in taking the ball away from clearances, and being link men through the corridor.

They worked out their defence, got the right mix of players in the right positions, and were able to play them together for just about the whole season. They had very few injuries or suspensions. They developed into a really tight unit. And they played one on one, not zone, for maximum pressure.

Didn't they hit upon the small forwards by accident when 2 of their 3 tall forwards got injured in the same game? They discovered that was the way to create forward pressure.

They also do smart things like kick into space, and run the ball in waves, rather than kick, through the corridor. And they mix up their forward thrusts - they aren't predictable. Adelaide were very predictable.

Hardwick clearly sat himself down and had a real think about how to build the side. Yes, they were lucky with the draw and with injuries. But a lot of the credit has to go to Hardwick. And Neil Balme is the best of the best as footy manager.

I don’t think enough credit has been given to Terry Wallace laying the foundations for this premiership with his 30 year plan ... what a visionary 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Deeprived Childhood said:

I'm stll suspicious of the re-occurence of a 2014/2015 GF let down with the MCG winning the premiership for the MCG club. Hows the weather out there by the way? I'd sooner see a wet bog than another windy overcast match.

Well I think i called that one. Another 'unfamiliar with the G' interstate club choking against a team that plays there regularly. It will be great to see Melbourne win a premiership against another MCG team in the future, rather than have it easy over a higher seeded "away" team

Edited by Deeprived Childhood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had never rated Hardwick as a coach, but this year he did something that I have argued for over a decade for.

He coached to the team's strengths.

He didn't have some preconceived idea about how the game is or should be played, he let his players do what they do best. If he had a different crop of players they probably would have played a different style. Beveridge did this with the Bulldogs too.

On the other hand, we try to play a run and gun style of play with lots of handpassing with a team that isn't quick.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Still trying to remember how the Dogs won 2016

Its completely unbelievable that this Tigers team won yesterday.  Heart , pressure and belief.

hope we play an interstate team at the GF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Living in Richmond not far from the MCG it was a tough night. There were at least 3 raucous parties nearby that went well into the early hours. Feral shouting  and blood curdling screaming and occasional sirens blaring made for a disturbed sleep. Even the local possums were too spooked to raid my garden. This morning church quiet with bottles and yellow/black balloons littering the footpath. Sad.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, america de cali said:

Living in Richmond not far from the MCG it was a tough night. There were at least 3 raucous parties nearby that went well into the early hours. Feral shouting  and blood curdling screaming and occasional sirens blaring made for a disturbed sleep. Even the local possums were too spooked to raid my garden. This morning church quiet with bottles and yellow/black balloons littering the footpath. Sad.

This reads like a Trump tweet. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is from Greg Baum in The Age,...

There was the crowd's presence, which was bigger as a roar is bigger than a woof. You have to believe it was a measurable force in this series and finale. The parenthesis here is an outsized fail for the AFL, who at every turn turn this day overlaid artificial, amplified, extraneous sound over the most spine-tingling naturally-occurring noise in the competition. It's a turn-off; turn it off.

AFL catering for mindless bogans, (not that all bogans are mindless or all mindless people are mindless)

 

Edited by KLV
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm enjoying this flag for the tigers for the following reasons:

- I'm not in Melbourne

- lots of my generation/ friends are tigers supporters

- tragi/comedy that has been the tigers for the last 37 years means no arrogance from supporters currently

- Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton 100% are spewing

- shows Adam Treloar to have excellent ability to rate a list

- gives us hope???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I had never rated Hardwick as a coach, but this year he did something that I have argued for over a decade for.

He coached to the team's strengths.

He didn't have some preconceived idea about how the game is or should be played, he let his players do what they do best. If he had a different crop of players they probably would have played a different style. Beveridge did this with the Bulldogs too.

On the other hand, we try to play a run and gun style of play with lots of handpassing with a team that isn't quick.

But the one non-negotiable with both Beveridge and Hardwick, is applying pressure on the man and at the contest. That's what stands up in finals. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mo64 said:

But the one non-negotiable with both Beveridge and Hardwick, is applying pressure on the man and at the contest. That's what stands up in finals. 

 

No doubt, but that would (should) be a non-negotiable for all coaches.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I simply enjoy good footy. I can stroll down to the local ground and watch U16, or stay and watch the local seniors. Other times I go back "home" to Maldon and watch them play.

The Tiges played brilliant footy. Like many others, I am sick to the death of the yellow and black references, the man love for Martin, the centre-staging of Mick Molloy etc...  But the footy Richmond played yesterday is what makes me watch a game. Fierce, free, skilled. I am a huge fan of the Crows footy in 2017. I loved watching them. But their highly skilled running game was torn to pieces by Richmond's team football.

And that is what I like about our current coaching emphasis. We are not building on the back of Hogan, Gawn, Petracca, Oliver etc... We are building a squad of players who are soldiers filling a post. There are 22 posts that make up a single team, that is being instructed to play from the contest out. Coach one year into his leadership.

A number of application glitches to work out, and some young players to mature, but our emphasis on team footy is a major step in the right directoon. Can't wait to see what we produce in 2018. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×