Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Jack Watts

PaulRB

Trade Jack Watts or not?  

477 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

Not WE wanted him out just YOU Rogue and the other members of the Minority group. I and a very large majority did not.

Yes, 'we' as in the Melbourne Football Club.

Good on you for writing a sternly worded letter to the Club about trading out Watts, though. Out of interest, were you also someone who wrote to the Club when Travis Johnstone and Sylvia left?

Edited by Rogue
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

Conversely, what's the upside? That next time they make a tough decision they'll go 'hold on, remember that email we got?' 

They are welcome to give their opinion, but they are also welcome to look silly while doing so. 

The upside is the club gets the opinion of its members and if the down side is looking silly then nothing much is lost because members look silly often based on the actions of their club.

• Thanks 1

On 2017-10-18 at 5:08 AM, ProDee said:

It's well known in the footy industry Deledio was nudged out.  It didn't seem to set Richmond back. 

Lids didnt play many games  for two seasons? 

It made sense to let another medical team try and get his calf right . 

Prodee are you a melbournefc member? 

55 minutes ago, CityDee said:

Lids didnt play many games  for two seasons? 

It made sense to let another medical team try and get his calf right . 

Prodee are you a melbournefc member? 

When I saw who'd quoted me I wondered what 'special' post I was in for.

Whether I'm a member or not is none of your business, but in this instance I'll indulge.  Yes, I am a member.

Thanks for the history lesson on Deledio, who won 3 B&Fs and had a far greater career at Richmond and was just as revered by supporters and the club alike.

It's a pity Watts has gone, deserved a kick in the backside.  But little more ! 

Fault is probably on both player and clubs side

i will remember his efforts against the pies where he kicked the winning goal and then a short time later tapped the ball over the line to deny the magpies goal!

that was just so great.   Pity he is gone

good luck Jack.  Let's move on!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Micksdemons said:

Watts the address ! Mahoney Goodwin and co need to be held to acccount ! Lack of performance against 5th in the b&f last year and 6th this year before the hammy leaves a very bitter and upset taste in my mouth against draft pick 31 - oh and we pay some of his salary negotiated a year ago. please !!!! 

would a payed up member need to ask the address??????  let it go mate, bring on 2018

10 hours ago, Micksdemons said:

Watts the address ! Mahoney Goodwin and co need to be held to acccount ! Lack of performance against 5th in the b&f last year and 6th this year before the hammy leaves a very bitter and upset taste in my mouth against draft pick 31 - oh and we pay some of his salary negotiated a year ago. please !!!! 

Actually, no they don't. It's their list and they can do whatever the hell they want with it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Micksdemons said:

You need to get over yourself. Watts' best finish are 9th and 5th. In 9 years. He's a gun. He has performed worse than Sylvia. At least he finished 5th twice. Why can't you sycophants get over the fact that Jack was a serial under performer.

As for the 6th before hammy. Its BS. Salem and Pederson played less games than Watts and finished above him. Kind of ruins your narrative doesn't it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 640MD said:

i will remember his efforts against the pies where he kicked the winning goal and then a short time later tapped the ball over the line to deny the magpies goal!

So being dropped by every coach is not a kick up the backside? FFS he even dropped himself to give himself a kick up the backside.

Jack has even said he's not surprised. He has had more warnings than anybody on the list.

13 hours ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

I have written to the club condemning Goodwin's actions. I'm not a bit ashamed and why should I be?

I've written to the club commending them on making the tough and unpopular decisions in pursuit of success. So I guess we cancelled each other out.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've written to the club commending them on making the tough and unpopular decisions in pursuit of success. So I guess we cancelled each other out.

PJ is crouched in his office ... actually a domed clay hut in an office at AAMI. He is wearing an ill-fitting sack-like garment made of rough cloth.

He sites on a crude stool at a crude table, clutching a few printouts in his clawed hands, which he reads by candle light.

"Hm! Letters from members, these are. Powerful language! 'You f**ken pr**ks' says it does. Hm! Understand I do not but much anger I sense. And this one? 'I commend you on making the tough and unpopular decisions in pursuit of success'. Ah yes. Brings balance to the club, it does. Hm!"

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Visited the Port website to see the other side of the coin.

Here is his interview:  http://embeds.audioboom.com/publishing/playlist/v4?bg_fill_col=%23ecefef&boo_content_type=list&data_for_content_type=%2F%2Faudioboom.com%2Fapi%2Fusers%2F2268911%2Faudio_clips&image_option=small&link_color=%2358d1eb&player_theme=light&src=%2F%2Faudioboom.com%2Fapi%2Fusers%2F2268911%2Faudio_clips#Jack Watts joins the FIVEaa Sports Show - Tuesday, 17 October, 2017

He refused to take the bait and criticise Mahoney for his truthful but ungracious comments about Jack, made after the trade was completed. 

Interestingly of the 5 coaches that Mahoney says Jack 'has been through' 4 were inexperienced rookies.  I reckon the experienced Hinkley, like Roos will get the best from Jack. 

It sounds like the move to Adelaide is made easier as his girlfriend lives in Canada.

The interviewers sound rapt to have Jack at Port.  Its worthwhile listening to to get the other side.  Jack is enthusiastic, honest, gracious and classy. 

Well said Lucifer.

Everyone needs support and supporters be it business, sport or personal life. We particularly need it when we underperform, make mistakes, or in short, stuff up. It is not unconditional but some folks provide that support because they know that the individual has ability, qualities or good character. Also that that individual will one day justify that support. 

Jack seemed to have that support but then it deserted him.  

Did he deserve to lose that support after 9 years? Maybe. We will probably never know the full story and probably doesn't matter. 

From a playing point of view it seemed a strange time. He had some good games, performed valiantly in the ruck and then got injured. His stocks went down when the stocks of the whole team went down.

Clearly the off field, preparation and training issues were paramount. I think also the coaching staff wanted to make a statement and Jack was the sacrificial lamb. 

With the team playing well, Jack provided something we now lose. Creativity and finishing skills. 

The last few weeks have shown that Jack has many outstanding qualities.  The way he managed the saga was way better than those responsible for dispatching him. 

A little ironic that the coach himself benefited from the support of the Adelaide Football Club for a considerable period of time when he had problems in his personal life and then again when he was at Essendon. Despite the doping saga, the MFC was prepared to support him with his appointment as coach.  He was given the opportunity to continue his playing and coaching career despite making significant errors of judgment. He was given support when he most needed it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 640MD said:

Let's just assume for the moment that he's received more kicks up the backside than we know. What would have been the next step for the club? Now, I don't know that he did, indeed, receive said kicks, but if he had more kicks up the backside than his average kicks per game, then I can understand why the club might have been motivated to move him on.

Amazing the compliments for both player and club over on the Colin Garland thread.  The club has supported a great clubman who had to make the difficult decision to end what is for many a childhood dream.  The club has made this difficult period that bit easier by transitioning him in to a coaching role, where he can begin the next chapter of his AFL journey.

Yet, the same people that have done this with the utmost class are getting rammed from all angles about how they dealt with Watts.

I imagine that will get ignored by many of disappointed posters on this thread.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

Why do people email the club? Doesn't make a lick of difference. Might make you feel better but they don't give a stuff. 

We are the Club Wise. Support staff, coaches and even the players come and go. We, the members, are life-long permanents. If you are a passionate member you should contact the club and they should want to hear feedback from the members. It doesn't matter if it is Gonzo congratulating them on moving Jack along or another member berating them. 

Of course the ultimate feedback for them is membership renewal. I'm guessing the Club better have a good first few games or it may prove difficult for us to get near last years record. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, hemingway said:

Well said Lucifer.

Everyone needs support and supporters be it business, sport or personal life. We particularly need it when we underperform, make mistakes, or in short, stuff up. It is not unconditional but some folks provide that support because they know that the individual has ability, qualities or good character. Also that that individual will one day justify that support. 

Jack seemed to have that support but then it deserted him.  

Did he deserve to lose that support after 9 years? Maybe. We will probably never know the full story and probably doesn't matter. 

From a playing point of view it seemed a strange time. He had some good games, performed valiantly in the ruck and then got injured. His stocks went down when the stocks of the whole team went down.

Clearly the off field, preparation and training issues were paramount. I think also the coaching staff wanted to make a statement and Jack was the sacrificial lamb. 

With the team playing well, Jack provided something we now lose. Creativity and finishing skills. 

The last few weeks have shown that Jack has many outstanding qualities.  The way he managed the saga was way better than those responsible for dispatching him. 

A little ironic that the coach himself benefited from the support of the Adelaide Football Club for a considerable period of time when he had problems in his personal life and then again when he was at Essendon. Despite the doping saga, the MFC was prepared to support him with his appointment as coach.  He was given the opportunity to continue his playing and coaching career despite making significant errors of judgment. He was given support when he most needed it. 

Agreed. As you say we will never know the full story. 

Jack seems to have lost the support of the coach and the leadership team before the season even started. 

I think Port will really suit him:

• He goes to a stable team, with a stable game plan (instead of one with massive player and coach turnover in the last 5 years).
  • Has an experienced coach who wants him and who already has some runs on the board.
  • Has a clear role which plays to his strength.  With each of his 5 coaches they had a different view of the position/role he should play (fwd, defense, link up, fwd, ruck, link up, fwd). 
  • It sounds the role will be a cross between Gunston, Lynch (Crows), Dal Santo, Peter Borgoyne.  The silk.
  • He will no longer be the (failed) saviour to be exalted and stoned in equal measure. 

He shows few signs of having an inflated ego.  To the contrary he is quite humble and gracious so I reckon he will relish being a cog in a wheel.

For posters getting ready to attack or cherry pick these points I am not excusing any of Jack's faults or alleged behaviour issues.  Simply saying Port is a much better place for him and his football.  

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

maybe, maybe not. could be wishful thinking, inspired optimism or misplaced romanticism

only time (and jack) will tell........

Of course, whether he succeeds is up to Jack. 

Simply saying given the points I made, Port is a better fit for him. 

29 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Agreed. As you say we will never know the full story. 

Jack seems to have lost the support of the coach and the leadership team before the season even started. 

I think Port will really suit him:

• He goes to a stable team, with a stable game plan (instead of one with massive player and coach turnover in the last 5 years).
  • Has an experienced coach who wants him and who already has some runs on the board.
  • Has a clear role which plays to his strength.  With each of his 5 coaches they had a different view of the position/role he should play (fwd, defense, link up, fwd, ruck, link up, fwd). 
  • It sounds the role will be a cross between Gunston, Lynch (Crows), Dal Santo, Peter Borgoyne.  The silk.
  • He will no longer be the (failed) saviour to be exalted and stoned in equal measure. 

He shows few signs of having an inflated ego.  To the contrary he is quite humble and gracious so I reckon he will relish being a cog in a wheel.

For posters getting ready to attack or cherry pick these points I am not excusing any of Jack's faults or alleged behaviour issues.  Simply saying Port is a much better place for him and his football.  

I hope so and you make some great points.

I think Hinkley will be the coach that could make a big difference. A much better fit that Scott at Geelong. 

He will also have some very good players around him, with excellent skills that will draw opponents away. 

With Port moving the ball quickly forward and across the ground on the wide open turf of the AO, Jack could be a great fit with his handball and finishing skills. 

Adelaide is a fish bowl and footy mad, intensely so, but there is simply not the same exposure for AFL footballers there, probably greater courtesy and manners from the public and definitely more opportunity to get away from the footy heat.