Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Jack Watts

PaulRB

Trade Jack Watts or not?  

477 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, Biffen said:

That says more about the club than it does about JW-who actually loves the club.

Roos got JW playing career best footy.

Goodwin starts off his career by denigrating him.

Lets start a petition then, "Sack Goodwin and Keep Watts" petition.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mo64 said:

2016 Sam Lloyd 2nd on the RFC goalkicking with 35G 13B. An even more accurate shot for goal than Watts. And won games off his own boot.

2017 Sam Lloyd played 8 games.Hardwick worked out that the benefits of having a smaller mobile forward line that applied pressure worked better than playing someone just because they are an elite kick.

Getting rid of Watts is equally about how Goodwin wants us to play next year, as it is about his lack of discipline off field.

Absolutely. This should have been the reason he gave from the beginning. If he'd left out all the pointless talk about his "lack of discipline off field" (and training blah blah blah), it would have only helped our ability to trade.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Redleg said:

He didn't have to, as he was always the one with the ball.

He never put i during the preseason either-he was not a regular feature in the gym

2 minutes ago, Skuit said:

McCarthyism and Jack Watts were probably two subjects I never thought would be clumped together. Goody the Red (and Blue) menace?

You'll find since Communism has become debunked worldwide that the oppressor is now anyone who was born with a modicum of privilege and the theory extends to every ridiculous facet of life from the way a man sits on the tram or the fact that white men tend not to be jailed as frequently as others from different races.It's called deconstructionism or post-modernism.It's an attempt to put everyone on an equal playing field and to crush the oppression of "privilege".

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Akum said:

Absolutely. This should have been the reason he gave from the beginning. If he'd left out all the pointless talk about his "lack of discipline off field" (and training blah blah blah), it would have only helped our ability to trade.

Recruiters arent stupid, our comments wont hinge on the outcome one bit. Opposition clubs know his worth and we know his worth, the comments are there to send a message. Wont make a difference IMO

13 hours ago, DemonAndrew said:

I am okay with 30 - reluctantly - but if we are paying any of his salary regardless of where he goes I’ll be really annoyed

I would love for him to decide to stay and back himself in to prove to the club that he can fulfill the obligations he has failed, but I have no faith that he will

Do I think 30 is worth it? Absolutely not...but if we have to do so, in order to move forward as a club, so be it

The interview where he talked about how ‘comfortable’ and ‘easy’ it has been to stay at MFC really aggravated me

The speeches at the B&F summed up the sort of commitment I don’t have faith in Jack to make

At the same time I can complete empathise that he feels crushed but the fact that he doesn’t seem to understand why he’s in this position is really disappointing and sort of sums the whole thing up

There’s no way Port will give up the Hoff for him - that’s who they’ll want Watts to become, but the Hoff runs and works hard in a way that Watts has never really been able to do

I think you've done an awesome job summing up how most of us feel. Most people understand the reasons why the footy dept has made this move but equally Watt's journey is so obviously aligned with us that we'd like to see him enjoy our success. This thread has been dominated by those at either ends of the spectrum but I think this post really doesn't represent the prevailing mood of the vast majority.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Biffen said:

Roos got JW playing career best footy.

No he didn't. Have a look below.

Jack Watts

Born:26-Mar-1991 (Debut:18y 75d Last:26y 154d)

Height:196 cm Weight:93 kg

VFL/AFL: 11763rd player to appear, 1108th most games played, 641st most goals kicked
Melbourne: 1265th player to appear, 51st most games played, 48th most goals kicked

[Best][By type][Averages][By opposition][By venue]
[Games Played]

• By totals 
  • By averages 
  • Abbreviations key#=Jumper
    GM=Games played
    KI=Kicks
    MK=Marks
    HB=Handballs
    DI=Disposals
    DA=Disposal average
    GL=Goals
    BH=Behinds
    HO=Hit outs
    TK=Tackles
    RB=Rebound 50s
    IF=Inside 50s
    CL=Clearances
    CG=Clangers
    FF=Free kicks for
    FA=Free kicks against
    BR=Brownlow votes
    CP=Contested possessions
    UP=Uncontested possessions
    CM=Contested marks
    MI=Marks inside 50
    1%=One percenters
    BO=Bounces
    GA=Goal assist
    %P=Percentage of game played
    SU=Sub (On/Off)
    ↑=subbed on
    ↓=subbed off
Year   Team   #   GM   W-D-L   KI   MK   HB   DI   GL   BH   HO   TK   RB   IF   CL   CG   FF   FA   BR   CP   UP   CM   MI   1%   BO   GA  
Totals 153 46-2-105 1359 808 1069 2428 143 71 157 302 171 284 102 294 95 118 13 843 1599 115 134 252 24 82
Averages 17.00 30.72% 8.88 5.28 6.99 15.87 0.93 0.46 1.03 1.97 1.12 1.86 0.67 1.92 0.62 0.77 0.08 5.51 10.45 0.75 0.88 1.65 0.16 0.54
2009 Melbourne 4 3 0-0-3 16 9 11 27 2 2   1   3   10 2 6   13 16 1 4 2   1
2010 Melbourne 4 15 5-1-9 115 70 74 189 10 4 9 15 4 30 12 31 14 13   69 123 6 10 22   10
2011 Melbourne 4 22 8-1-13 198 124 157 355 21 11 9 53 26 40 8 47 14 17 1 127 242 26 18 49 5 12
2012 Melbourne 4 15 3-0-12 149 83 129 278 5 1 2 23 42 21 10 31 10 13 3 113 157 20 2 47 5 4
2013 Melbourne 4 18 2-0-16 157 95 110 267 22 12 11 29 32 25 8 31 8 14 3 92 173 10 22 31 8 7
2014 Melbourne 4 22 4-0-18 200 109 185 385 13 8 2 58 19 40 16 39 12 17   106 281 10 9 28 1 10
2015 Melbourne 4 20 6-0-14 169 102 156 325 10 6 29 42 27 35 22 34 14 13   112 210 9 10 16 1 11
2016 Melbourne 4 22 10-0-12 226 139 125 351 38 18 42 39 15 55 15 46 11 16 5 126 230 22 38 39 1 18
2017 Melbourne 4 16 8-0-8 129 77 122 251 22 9 53 42 6 35 11 25 10 9 1 85 167 11 21 18 3 9

2 minutes ago, Biffen said:

He never put i during the preseason either-he was not a regular feature in the gym

You'll find since Communism has become debunked worldwide that the oppressor is now anyone who was born with a modicum of privilege and the theory extends to every ridiculous facet of life from the way a man sits on the tram or the fact that white men tend not to be jailed as frequently as others from different races.It's called deconstructionism or post-modernism.It's an attempt to put everyone on an equal playing field and to crush the oppression of "privilege".

Whoa. That [censored] is heavy man. I just came to this thread for some light reading.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Skuit said:

Whoa. That [censored] is heavy man. I just came to this thread for some light reading.

It's really heavy-our Unis are awash with this ,our journos won't print anything outside of it, our media carries the message, sponsors pull out due to any backlash against it .

If you are brilliant or talented you must be pulled down to the same level as the lumpen proletariat and equalised.

If you speak against it-you must be stopped-and the reason is "you are hurting someones feelings and are stopping the long march to universal equality.

Even  the AFL uses the term "equalisation".

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

You can assess it in many ways. If he's on $500k a year I'd be expecting more out of him than what he's currently providing on and off field. Perhaps that is what the club is thinking as well. They may be able to free up some Cap space to bring in a free agent next year. 

There's absolutely no doubt that the club is of the view that he's not delivering value here.

I will however be mighty annoyed if, after offering him this very contract only a year ago (and having done so with the same level of knowledge about his flaws, performance history etc that many here are presently flogging to death) that we are now about to PAY for him to apply his trade at a competitor club.

If true, this completely sucks.

Surely, even blind Freddie can see that, if any such arrangement comes to fruition, it will have been poorly handled by the club.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Redleg said:

No he didn't. Have a look below.

Are you saying that Bailey did in 2011?

I am fairly certain the consensus is he has done nothing before last season.

Can I get a spokesman from The Consensus?

Just now, Ron Burgundy said:

There's absolutely no doubt that the club is of the view that he's not delivering value here.

I will however be mighty annoyed if, after offering him this very contract only a year ago (and having done so with the same level of knowledge about his flaws, performance history etc that many here are presently flogging to death) that we are now about to PAY for him to apply his trade at a competitor club.

Surely, even blind Freddie can see that, if any such arrangement comes to fruition, it will have been poorly handled by the club.

Yes- and why sign him up on a contract you do not intend to honour?

• Like 2

Again, for the umpteenth time:

Watts is gone. He's now someone else's problem, probably Port's.

Goody stays and continues to be a vital factor for us and our future success.

And because it's Goody who's the ongoing concern as far as we (MFC) are concerned, some of us feel that Goody could have handled his share of this thing better.

That's it.

• Like 4

i think I've had my say on this.

i'm heading down to the Zoo to club some baby fur seals to death to make myself feel better.

i'd advise people not to take their kids down there today.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Dunno. Kids love him.

My 4 year old will be upset (and confused) to see him playing for Port.

The point I'm making is not actually about jumper sales though. It's about broadening the lens on assessing a player's worth to a club.

My kids get it. I just told them he doesn't try hard enough. Kids don't respect lazy.

• Like 6

Much is made  of the lacklustre training, his preparation etc.  I think thats , in the main , an invention to suit certain narratives

He doesnt train like Jones or Viney perhaps but  Im not prepared to believe he trained like a nuff nuff etc

Watts hasnt fit a type of template that certain coaches ( currently prevailing at Melb ) along with some other FD staff would prefer.  Where he was understood and dare I say nurtured, he played and presented very well. When it's all become too hard for some...lets knock him on the head and out with the garbage.

Some things have changed at Melbourne ..for sure...many for the better, some not so clever.  A lot of people are taking a lot at face value and not looking properly at the bigger picture. That might be for another day in another thread perhaps.

I'll be damned if I know how it's possible for one player to be blamed for so much. He was asked to play every style of game bar the one he's possibly best suited to. Did HE choose these roles....but he's to blame ?

I think what gets up the goat of many, certainly myself is how much so many people are prepared to swallow the Koolaid.

Ive made it a [particular habit  to believe just about NOTHING emanating from the mouths of Footy Clubs and their folk...players and coaches/staff alike when made towards the public gallery. My old man often suggested I watch what people DO, not what they say. Action requires effort and commitment and words are a pound a ton.

What I have noticed over the last couple of seasons and especially the last one are various folk blaming anyone but themselves.  I like a lot of dlanders watch games both live as well as the Telly. Its not hard to actually see who makes a concerted effort on game days and who goes missing or who has their head in the clouds or up their arze !!

Anyone thinking getting rid of Jack somehow solves anything has rocks in their head. I wish all parties luck and good fortune. 

Go Dees

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Biffen said:

It's really heavy-our Unis are awash with this ,our journos won't print anything outside of it, our media carries the message, sponsors pull out due to any backlash against it .

If you are brilliant or talented you must be pulled down to the same level as the lumpen proletariat and equalised.

If you speak against it-you must be stopped-and the reason is "you are hurting someones feelings and are stopping the long march to universal equality.

Even  the AFL uses the term "equalisation".

It's funny. I went to uni as originally a left-winger in one of those marijuana-hot-spots of Australia and got so sick of the lesbian white  privilege that I came out even more left-wing and even partially black. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I agree to a certain extent. However he got handed a new contract during/after one good season(can't remember the timeline). The club expected him to continue where he left off after 2016, it didn't happen. Without being inside the four walls it's hard to know how jack of Jack they really are. Next year Dahlhaus, Gaff, Sloane and Lynch are all free agents. I'd be more disappointed if they weren't already taking a long term view to try and get one of those to the club without having to give up a pick for them. I'd hope they have a deal lined up already. If they can land one of those players and be paying a small portion of Watt's salary I could live with it. I wouldn't like it but I could live with it.

1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Henry will get over it.

His favourite player is Petracca.

I think he thinks Petracca is part T-Rex.

Petracca is just 'The Tractor' in our house. Tractors are cool when you're four.

Edited by Goodvibes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Biffen said:

i think I've had my say on this.

i'm heading down to the Zoo to club some baby fur seals to death to make myself feel better.

i'd advise people not to take their kids down there today.

Sounds like you've just escaped to me. :lol:

16 hours ago, Beetle said:

"Lever can't kick mind you, and we just gave up our best user..."

im just stirring the pot mate...nothing malicious..

Yeah well stirring the pot or not what you say is true!!