Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Jack Watts

PaulRB

Trade Jack Watts or not?  

477 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, DV8 said:

And stigga this is the problem with watts, & with too many around the club.

He wants to be around, for where others carry the club too.

He doesn't want to miss out on all the festivities, If or when.  He is not a lifter, he is a leaner.

His mindset should read, "I am going to shape this club towards winning and success.

He just wants to be at the party with the boys.

Nup, sorry but huge problems with these statements - total BS.  

Jack was there and stuck with the MFC through some of our darkest times.  Unlike the Weed who has had the luxury of developing in the twos, it's well documented that Jack was thrown in the deep end.  Jack probably could have picked his club in 2010-2012 after his first contract ran out and bolted for the doors to a club that won more than 2 games a season.  We need to repay that faith.

His efforts this year in the ruck against Geelong and Richmond show he'll push himself to the point of exaughstion as good as most on the team.  Delivered in spades on Queens Birthday and really helped lead us out of the wilderness that day, which I actually think was a bit of a turing point in the direction of our season at the time.  He played as hard and we'll as all on the team against the Bulldogs, after which his season kind of fell apart a bit, but he wasn't the only one in that camp.  And all his career Jack has played with the pressure of being that No.1 pick saviour under which we have seen others like Tom Boyd fold.  I think it takes pretty decent mental toughness to play under the pressure and keep picking yourself up after the at times constant criticism that Watts has, so to call him a leaner is way off the mark.

If Jack is around longer, for any success we have, he will have earnt every bit of the party that ensues.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 11
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

It was byron, and i alerted this forum to it at the time. Jack posted a Instagram 'story' showing himself up there. A 'story' is temporary and deletes when a new story is added or after 15 hours. I said at the time that jack was silly posting it and it proved to be so. 

I remember the time you posted the above and a few of us initially responded  by saying this was unlikely as Watts attended the MSAC school holiday kids clinic the day before.

It would be silly indeed to post it if the club advised him not to go or if he had a compulsory rehab session that day.

Its been suggested by other posters that the Byron trip was the last straw and really irked the club.

If team protocol has been broken then fair enough, but I see no issue with this if he had a day off or two from club duties.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sargent Shultz said:

59df4094a812c_ScreenShot2017-10-12at9_14_16pm.png.66547cfd450cef1d4ba859c06ff43232.png

Sorry...........on the wrong Watts thread ...................But while I'm here can we keep this thread going next year so the Pro Watts camp can shout about his achievements each week?

If we're flying, it won't matter. :D

1 hour ago, Ned said:

Is there a chance this whole episode is a surreptitious rocket for Jack? He's unlikely to secure a trade just because of the way the chips have fallen so will wind up staying at Melbourne. Perhaps will shake off some of his apathy and if not then really on the block next year? He frustrates me but he's also been part of a club that went to hell and back during his time. I've always hoped Melbourne's success would come with Jack Watts part of it so both sides were validated. Just a dream I guess.

I want this to be true. But my head tells me otherwise.

Probably boils down to if we're getting a quality tall in Lever, then a tall had to go. In retrospect it was probably between Jack & Frost.

Wonder if anything happened at around the time they re-hyphen-signed Frost?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Demon77 said:

I remember the time you posted the above and a few of us initially responded  by saying this was unlikely as Watts attended the MSAC school holiday kids clinic the day before.

It would be silly indeed to post it if the club advised him not to go or if he had a compulsory rehab session that day.

Its been suggested by other posters that the Byron trip was the last straw and really irked the club.

If team protocol has been broken then fair enough, but I see no issue with this if he had a day off or two from club duties.

Surely players would have provision for days off in their contract?

Surely there couldn't be a problem with what he did on what was probably his day off?

Someone joked before about who we will play on Watts? The obvious jovial answer was Lever. But extend that a little bit further, and while we may be concerned he might go on to finally further develop and kick a bunch of goals for his new team (whether it be the kick in the ass/better delivery/or whatnot), is anyone really concerned about how we're going to cover him when named on the team-sheet vs. us? Do you really think he'll tear us apart? Search deep down, and I think the answer to this thread is already in your heart.

8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You really believe the coaches aren't all over the performance of every player in the squad? Come on.

Of course the FD is watching and monitoring every aspect they see fit, as we would hope and assume from a well paid bunch of professionals Dr.  

However,  when you see them keep playing (and giving 2nd / 3rd chances during the season) under performers who have shown only spasmodic "reasonable" form and in some cases average form at Casey eg, Kent, JKH and Weids.  And you keep playing so so players that offer no advantage over others that were at least as good or better on the list and telling them so by leaving them to die a slow death in the McGoos (eg, Howe / Dunny overlooked for Omac and Garland) just because they supposedly were the future and apparently "got the message", the evidence is clearly there that some who are treated differently to others REGARDLESS of performance.  Not that surprising but still, it happens. Coaches and their crew have favourites and that list can no doubt change, by the month!

Evan Watts had to drop himself at one stage last year as he felt he wasn't up to scratch at senior level.  Some have earned credits in the seniors, I get that, so will always get a few extra trys due to leniency but this forgiveness for players that have never truly shined (consistently) at senior level and then not truly earned a spot with consistent form in the McGoos but still get a look in at senior level (and some overlooked even if performing better than their favoured counterparts) from time to time, is just another aspect of what makes good clubs become great, vs the rest of the pack.

If you can't get over this hurdle as a club I doubt the club will make it and succeed at the highest level or would need to have an amazingly talented list (and manager/coach)that is somehow able to ignore the background noise regardless.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skuit said:

Someone joked before about who we will play on Watts? The obvious jovial answer was Lever. But extend that a little bit further, and while we may be concerned he might go on to finally further develop and kick a bunch of goals for his new team (whether it be the kick in the ass/better delivery/or whatnot), is anyone really concerned about how we're going to cover him when named on the team-sheet vs. us? Do you really think he'll tear us apart? Search deep down, and I think the answer to this thread is already in your heart.

I've searched deep down and...

Yes

3 goals

11 marks

8 assists

17 tap outs (6 to advantage)

11 pressure acts

Dees by 30 points

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jumbo returns said:

I've searched deep down and...

Yes

3 goals

11 marks

8 assists

17 tap outs (6 to advantage)

11 pressure acts

Dees by 30 points

How many tackles Jumbo or was that a game of touch?:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Nup, sorry but huge problems with these statements - total BS.  

Jack was there and stuck with the MFC through some of our darkest times.  Unlike the Weed who has had the luxury of developing in the twos, it's well documented that Jack was thrown in the deep end.  Jack probably could have picked his club in 2010-2012 after his first contract ran out and bolted for the doors to a club that won more than 2 games a season.  We need to repay that faith.

His efforts this year in the ruck against Geelong and Richmond show he'll push himself to the point of exaughstion as good as most on the team.  Delivered in spades on Queens Birthday and really helped lead us out of the wilderness that day, which I actually think was a bit of a turing point in the direction of our season at the time.  He played as hard and we'll as all on the team against the Bulldogs, after which his season kind of fell apart a bit, but he wasn't the only one in that camp.  And all his career Jack has played with the pressure of being that No.1 pick saviour under which we have seen others like Tom Boyd fold.  I think it takes pretty decent mental toughness to play under the pressure and keep picking yourself up after the at times constant criticism that Watts has, so to call him a leaner is way off the mark.

If Jack is around longer, for any success we have, he will have earnt every bit of the party that ensues.

Don't disagree but ruck is a position that demands accountability. If anything, his move into that position is an indictment on his efforts elsewhere. He plays unaccountable football up forward and goes missing on tougher opponents that hold him to account when competing for position and possession. In the ruck the position itself is a non-negotiable: it's the last true position where body positioning and contact is a necessity and unavoidable. It just magnified how badly he goes missing against opponents that apply minimal pressure.

I think part of Jack's problem is that for his whole career he's been played as a utility/forward with no clear directive. That's one thing that pisses me off about his development. From 2010 he should have been played down back to teach him what it takes to beat your opponent consistently and play accountable football. Even on a bad day a ruckman is still accountable because they need to compete at most contests. A forward can get away with it because there are more variables, delivery being one. There's no way he *couldn't* have competed playing ruck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Demon77 said:

My understanding is that it was a 'rest day' and he took it upon himself to fly to byron. ..it was not club approved. He was mid rehab...my further Intel suggests that leaders at the club were annoyed that he had not dedicated himself to rehab ...make of it what you will 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1