Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Jack Watts

PaulRB

Trade Jack Watts or not?  

477 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't think it's been handled particularly well but I'm hoping it's the shot across the bows that the playing group needed after the Collingwood capitulation- don't train/perform and you're out the door. Which is as it should be. It speaks volumes that a professional athlete would not be consistent enough in their training and approach to their career that teammates would call them out on their behaviours. Passengers won't win us finals and when it comes to the pointy end of next season Jack won't be the difference between Port winning a flag or not.

16 minutes ago, pinkshark said:

Still cant quite believe we are trading Watts.  FMD.  Astounding!  

He has nominated Port Adelaide.  

The MFC have treated this bloke so poorly as advised by Goodwin.  It is a mistake.  

I don't want to hear any retorts about his preparation and his party boy status.  Everyone can blow all that out their ar$e for all I care.   The fact of the matter is he is an outstandingly talented player, loyal and deserves to be a part of our success.  70% of fans on this site agree.  Watts agrees.  But not Goody the, Hall of Famer from Adelaide.   Load up your shot gun and blow both fuc$%ing feet off.

Well as annoyed and upset at this as I am, I won't ever quit them.  But disillusionment is strong.  We have only Hogan for this year, if that.  He will return to WA in 2019.  That is a certainty.  

But as a passionate fan I have to say this one more time.  "[censored] you Goodwin you [censored] South Australian for the way you have orchestrated Jack Watts departure from this club."  It was very clear this has been his intention from Day 1 when he took the reins.  So predictable.

Having said all that good riddance Jack Watts.    Watch Ken Hinkley get the best out of him.  Hinkley doesn't coach from a manual like our boy.  He coaches people, all the different types of them. I'm not yet sure Goodwin could coach a finger up his ar$e at the minute.

There was a post before about how honest posters were making reasonable points either side.

This is not one of those.

Remember Colin Sylvia? Cale Morton? They were blokes who supposedly were going to show us how bad our culture was by going interstate to ‘real clubs’. 

The ones we did let go and went on to thrive were blokes who were given no guarantees and were taken low in the draft (Jeremy Howe and Stef Martin). Jack sadly doesn’t follow their trajectory.

If he leaves, he is a wait and see prospect at best. Do they get round 1 2016 vs. GWS Jack Watts or round 19 vs North Jack Watts?

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

29 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Do you want to compare the accolades and achievements that Gibson and Franklin had to Watts? Which bit don't you get. It's about Jack's commitment to training and playing. Its below par. He got dropped for the pre-season after being urged by Roos to choose greatness.

He is a serial under performer and has poor professional standards. We know you love him but at least try to be objective.

I am objective. Perhaps read my last post - sums up my perspective pretty clearly.

And I think most reasonable observers would agree that it's a rational perspective to have, even if they don't ultimately agree with it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pinkshark said:

Still cant quite believe we are trading Watts.  FMD.  Astounding!  

He has nominated Port Adelaide.  

The MFC have treated this bloke so poorly as advised by Goodwin.  It is a mistake.  

I don't want to hear any retorts about his preparation and his party boy status.  Everyone can blow all that out their ar$e for all I care.   The fact of the matter is he is an outstandingly talented player, loyal and deserves to be a part of our success.  70% of fans on this site agree.  Watts agrees.  But not Goody the, Hall of Famer from Adelaide.   Load up your shot gun and blow both fuc$%ing feet off.

Well as annoyed and upset at this as I am, I won't ever quit them.  But disillusionment is strong.  We have only Hogan for this year, if that.  He will return to WA in 2019.  That is a certainty.  

But as a passionate fan I have to say this one more time.  "[censored] you Goodwin you [censored] South Australian for the way you have orchestrated Jack Watts departure from this club."  It was very clear this has been his intention from Day 1 when he took the reins.  So predictable.

Having said all that good riddance Jack Watts.    Watch Ken Hinkley get the best out of him.  Hinkley doesn't coach from a manual like our boy.  He coaches people, all the different types of them. I'm not yet sure Goodwin could coach a finger up his ar$e at the minute.

Disagree. Goodwin has given every indication of being a very good coach. This is not happening to Jack without good reason and I'm sure there is more to it than we know. For the Club to come out so strongly means they feel that Jack has let them down big time. Nothing wrong with setting high standards 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Die Hard Demon said:

We've already had 100 pages worth of wrist slitting .. It's time to accept the reality, back in the coach, club and get excited about what our club is capable of achieving next year. With or without watts, we will be a stronger unit come round 1 next year. -- Who knows, maybe Ken Hinkley can get the best out of Watts, as he did Toumpas.

Will say it may be a decision we regret. Let's hope what we get is good, if not, no point in losing him. Funny how watts shouldered the ruck midfield and forward line in gawns absence before buckling to injury. Now he is the worse person at MFC. Not so sure but we will wait and see. 

Think sydney will offer the best deal.

Watts is behind *in no particular order.
 Jones, hogan, Petracca, Lewis, Viney, Brayshaw, Gawn, Oliver, Hibberd, Pedo, Melksham, TMac, Hunt, Neal-Bullen, Garlett and Jetta.

That makes him the 17th best player on the list. Not so fast. Guys like Hannan, Dom Tyson, salem, Vince and Frost are probably on par with him so he is anywhere between 17 and 22 on the list. That's the reality. 

• Shocked 1

I don't know why I'm bothering posting in this thread and I've not read all of it, thankfully, but the thing that amazes me most is the vast majority of posters are so committed to one side of the debate or the other.

Personally, I think there are two valid points of view and I can see both arguments. It's a bold move by the footy department, it has not been well handled and it's very unfortunate for Jack who clearly wants to stay.

There can be no winner in this debate and that people put so much emotional investment into it is staggering.

• Like 18

9 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

just heard on trade radio, he's opted for Geelong. Watts isn't worth pick 20, so maybe pick 20 and 33 and we'll give them back pick 27. 

If Baby Jesus comes back to Sleepy Hollow as well, I would be concerned their culture could backslide to the old selfish Geelong.

Where the individual reigns supreme.

1 minute ago, Dr.D said:

Jones, hogan, Petracca, Lewis, Viney, Brayshaw, Gawn, Oliver, Hibberd, Pedo, Melksham, TMac, Hunt, Neal-Bullen, Garlett and Jetta.

That makes him the 17th best player on the list. Not so fast. Guys like Hannan, Dom Tyson, salem, Vince and Frost are probably on par with him so he is anywhere between 17 and 22 on the list. That's the reality. 

Can't seriously rank players like this, Brayshaw on potential? Lewis ignoring his age? NB after one ok season?

Aside from the fact all are players with completely different attributes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Disagree. Goodwin has given every indication of being a very good coach.may

If i may. Goodwin has shown elements ans some ability akin to good coaching.

Currently he may well be quite good, but very good is a stretch. Hes also shown some ineptness.

I hope the 'very good' does indeed arise.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

that's craziness! there are some players you've listed that in no way offer what watts does as a player. do you watch every dees game?

37 minutes ago, DaveyDee said:

But wait a second - you can dish out criticism but you cant take it. This is quite an aloof community. 

And that surprises you? One point I forgot to state was that a notable characteristic of 'criticisers' is that they are easily insulted i.e. they can give it out but can't take it.

I should make it clear, I don't have any problem with there being critics/criticism of Watts. When it's constructive and reasoned (I have some criticisms of him myself). But when it crosses to spiteful, unproductive criticism it loses any purpose and really is only a reflection on the person giving it.

Edited by ChewyOnMyBoot
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, ProDee said:

What "criticism" are you referring to ?

Sorry my fault. Nothing personal. Should have wrote many of the older brigade of Demonland posters can dish out the criticism they just cant take it. As a newbie it is a aloof community. 

2 minutes ago, Rocky said:

that's craziness! there are some players you've listed that in no way offer what watts does as a player. do you watch every dees game?

He only watches Watts if you go by his previous posts, he can also tell you the colour of his jocks.

• Haha 1

There always seem to be so much focus on what we can get in during this period that the fact that losing Watts without a like for like replacement becomes the sole focus. I think this is a huge issue and we will be stupid and worse off for trading him. But the flip side is also that Watts will make Port, Geelong or Sydney better teams. They were all ahead of us this year and this will make the amount we need to improve even bigger to become a contender. This continues to look profoundly stupid.

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChewyOnMyBoot said:

And that surprises you? One point I forgot to state was that a notable characteristic of 'criticisers' is that they are easily insulted i.e. they can give it out but can't take it.

I should make it clear, I don't have any problem with there being critics/criticism of Watts. When it's constructive and reasoned (I some criticisms of him myself). But when it crosses to spiteful, unproductive criticism it loses any purpose and really is only a reflection on the person giving it.

hahaha no. I find once a person reaches xxxx+ posts I ignore them, figure they are not objective and share a group think mentality - it makes this place so much more enjoyable. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Vogon Poetry said:

I don't know why I'm bothering posting in this thread and I've not read all of it, thankfully, but the thing that amazes me most is the vast majority of posters are so committed to one side of the debate or the other.

Personally, I think there are two valid points of view and I can see both arguments. It's a bold move by the footy department, it has not been well handled and it's very unfortunate for Jack who clearly wants to stay.

There can be no winner in this debate and that people put so much emotional investment into it is staggering.

Perhaps paradoxically, I agree with you.

I'm supporting the club in the decision, because they're in a far better place to know why they're doing what they're doing than me, but I'm content either way, i.e. whether he stays, or goes.

But he only has himself to blame...

• Like 3

I’ve had doubts from start on this but have warmed to the trade last week now for sure.  What id love to know from those posters who say the club hasn’t handled it wel is this.  How would you have done it any better?   Before end of season   Right on trade week or now    I’m hindsighht now and time will play this out further but I think they’ve handled it well and good timing for both parties 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demon SeaMan said:

I’ve had doubts from start on this but have warmed to the trade last week now for sure.  What id love to know from those posters who say the club hasn’t handled it wel is this.  How would you have done it any better?   Before end of season   Right on trade week or now    I’m hindsighht now and time will play this out further but I think they’ve handled it well and good timing for both parties 

Read the previous 1,000 posts

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Vogon Poetry said:

Agree with everything but the last line. The emotional investment is really not surprising at all. Watts has caused the most division of opinion of any Melbourne player in recent memory. Now that the trade is a reality, the discussion was always going to reflect that history.

No player is bigger than the club but he's always been a unique entity in terms of focus upon him and attachment towards him.

• Like 1

OK time to move on Jack is going! All that remains is to work out what we get for him and who pays him. Given he is being pushed out he will feel no obligation to go where MFC may get some benefit.

Ideally we would like the best pick on offer and for the destination club to pick up all of his remaining contract. I am concerened that all of the clubs in his sights are top 8 teams we will be competing against for a spot in the 8 so I really don't want to improve them. Despite what many here think Jack will improve the clubs mentioned and I don't like the idea of MFC partially funding this. 

So can we look at what we get. Looks like a 2nd round draft pick at best.

• Sad 1