Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Jack Watts

PaulRB

Trade Jack Watts or not?  

477 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, nutbean said:

The only three thing in life that are certain

1/ death

2/ taxes

3/ Jack Watts being the most polarising footballer every to play for the MFC. 

I seem to recall Rod Grinter being good at polarising ... :blink::lol:

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Unleash Hell said:

I understand what you have said but you fail to acknowledge how thec ommantry started.

I agree with you on this specific point you've made but the larger issue on how the public debate started was not goodwin.

Im not defending goodwins commantary

im saying how it's conveniently turned in to someone else fault jacks in this position

Sorry UH it was Goodwin/Jones.  To recap the sequence:

• A few weeks ago Goodwin did a spot on RSN and made his spiel on 'expectations' re Jack and it was clear he wasn't supporting Jack.  Smoke for the media to stoke the fire.
  • A few days later on SEN Jones repeated 'expectations', not working hard enough away from the club and expecting more from senior players.  He also was not supporting Jack.  Again smoke for the media to stoke the fire.
  • A few days later Ch 7 interviewed Jack reenacting the QB goal and he talked about his love of the club and would like to stay but didn't seem to know he had to find a new club.  
  • Last week he was seen in Adelaide.
  • Last Friday someone supposedly overheard Jack telling a child 'he wanted to stay but its hard when being kicked out'.
  • On Ch7 on Saturday Goodwin was very specific about Jack being asked to look elsewhere. 
  • Several weeks ago Jack was committed to the launch of the Spring Carnival.  And his comments today were made at that launch - he did not seek out the media.  He was doing a job for TAB.  Bit hard for him to deny he had to look elsewhere when Goodwin had already said that is what the club wanted.

If you doubt this sequence go back about 20 pages of this thread.  Each event is extensively discussed. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Unleash Hell said:

Am not offended, i have never pretended i am in the know

Jacks upset he got told to find a new club

how far off am i?

Long way off. Simon is a straight shooter, he has a game plan. 

48 minutes ago, frankie_d said:

Serious question: some have said that there is more to this. Do you think that's the case? What is the "more"?

No 

6 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

This is the whole point. 

Jack it won’t be any easier at a different club, infact it will be harder

Colin Sylvia learnt that one. 

Your career is now on the line, if you want this career to stay alive you have to up the intensity. 

Simon Goodwin i am sure would love to have you as a Premiership Player, but you have to put in the hard work, 7 days a week

Absolute rubbish

• Like 1

I just had a by chance encounter with A VERY high up coaching staff member of an interstate team chasing Jack. He said they are very keen on him but Jack does not want to leave Victoria.

He did say that he doubts Jack will remain a Dee though. He also added only 25% of trade talk has any merit at all

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DaveyDee said:

Please dont take this the wrong way, but that is a terrible post. Dont think you and many others understand what is happening here. 

I beleive what you are alluding to is the conflict between goody and watts.

Goody being the over prepared and organized to the nth degree working class type vs

Watts the laconic laid back good guy who doesn't take life too seriously.

Let me.guess there is a clash of personalities?

There is a little more going on that has almost forced Goodwill to make public comments so to off load Watts.

As a contracted player Watts cant be traded without his approval. 

Watts has made an unprecedented pitch to the club to stay.  It started with a PR news story when he was first told to find a new club. His campaign to stay has now involved his manager, all senior coaches, he has looked for support form the administration, the Board and now the media and general public.  This has not gone down well with Goodwin and created a  problem for him, these tactics are unprecedented. Usually when players are told they are not wanted they cant find a new home fast enough. 

I don't like Watts chances of staying but he is going all out.  He is going down fighting.

This may be the wake up he requires.

Its going to be an interesting few weeks. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Unleash Hell said:

I beleive what you are alluding to is the conflict between goody and watts.

Goody being the over prepared and organized to the nth degree working class type vs

Watts the laconic laid back good guy who doesn't take life too seriously.

Let me.guess there is a clash of personalities?

No. Its all on a very professional level. Its all about fitting into the game plan. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Sorry UH it was Goodwin/Jones.  To recap the sequence:

• A few weeks ago Goodwin did a spot on RSN and made his spiel on 'expectations' re Jack and it was clear he wasn't supporting Jack.  Smoke for the media to stoke the fire.
  • A few days later on SEN Jones repeated 'expectations', not working hard enough away from the club and expecting more from senior players.  He also was not supporting Jack.  Again smoke for the media to stoke the fire.
  • A few days later Ch 7 interviewed Jack reenacting the QB goal and he talked about his love of the club and would like to stay but didn't seem to know he had to find a new club.  
  • Last week he was seen in Adelaide.
  • Last Friday someone supposedly overheard Jack telling a child 'he wanted to stay but its hard when being kicked out'.
  • On Ch7 on Saturday Goodwin was very specific about Jack being asked to look elsewhere. 
  • Several weeks ago Jack was committed to the launch of the Spring Carnival.  And his comments today were made at that launch - he did not seek out the media.  He was doing a job for TAB.  Bit hard for him to deny he had to look elsewhere when Goodwin had already said that is what the club wanted.

If you doubt this sequence go back about 20 pages of this thread.  Each event is extensively discussed. 

All good thanks LH

I should do my research 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stretch Johnson said:

I was  too... But  am now wondering what is actually playing out here. 

Well everything else leading up to this has failed.

Whether it's a direct and strategic ploy (which I doubt it is) remains to be seen but it's the result that's the only concern.

Ask the question: "has Watts got what it takes"?

6 minutes ago, DaveyDee said:

Absolute rubbish

What? Rubbish that the job will be easier at a new club??

A hard working JW with his kicking and ball skills would an asset, 

This is all about application... and that means it is all up to Jack Watts

He is still under contract... Paying half his wage at another club is a pain in the ass...

6 minutes ago, Grand New Flag said:

There is a little more going on that has almost forced Goodwill to make public comments so to off load Watts.

Watts has made an unprecedented pitch to the club to stay.  It started with a PR news story when he was first told to find a new club. His campaign to stay has now involved his manager, all senior coaches, he has looked for support form the administration, the Board and now the media and general public.  This has not gone down well with Goodwin and created a  problem for him, these tactics are unprecedented. Usually when players are told they are not wanted they cant find a new home fast enough. 

I don't like Watts chances of staying but he is going all out.  He is going down fighting.

It started with that obscure media appearance at the MCG a fortnight ago.

I can imagine that would've rubbed Goodwin the wrong way following an exit interview that contained "explore your options".

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

What? Rubbish that the job will be easier at a new club??

A hard working JW with his kicking and ball skills would an asset, 

This is all about application... and that means it is all up to Jack Watts

He is still under contract... Paying half his wage at another club is a pain in the ass...

More rubbish. Sorry, but you are clueless. 

10 minutes ago, Grand New Flag said:

*Waves to Jack* 

Jack I've been waivering back and forth between whether you stay or go, but happy to back you in for some Skwosh merch! :D

PM me!!!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Hell Bent said:

I just had a by chance encounter with A VERY high up coaching staff member of an interstate team chasing Jack. He said they are very keen on him but Jack does not want to leave Victoria.

He did say that he doubts Jack will remain a Dee though. He also added only 25% of trade talk has any merit at all

Can you say which interstate team?

1 hour ago, Demons1858 said:

He was told that he wouldn't be made available for selection in the JLT pre-season comp until his training standards changed and subsequently missed 1 or 2 of them before returning for round 1 of the AFL season proper. Was probably too busy designing his swim wear

What's the issue with him having his own business?

All professional clubs encourage their players to study or focus on building a business, rather than playing X Box and gambling their lives away in their spare time.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

What's the issue with him having his own business?

All professional clubs encourage their players to study or focus on building a business, rather than playing X Box and gambling their lives away in their spare time.

Jack Viney is an avid gamer. Just sayin'

1 hour ago, MurDoc516 said:

Jack was scoring as many goals as Hogan and Garlett while being 3rd fiddle. Not many players put up those numbers doing his job, the ones that do are great players. So 2016 Jack Watts had a great season. You can disagree and that's fine, but i don't understand what your expectations on Jack are if 40 goals as a 3rd forward isn't a  great season.

160 in 153 games

Yep sure going to miss them

5 minutes ago, jackaub said:

160 in 153 games

Yep sure going to miss them

I take your point on those raw numbers... however, do you remember his first 7 years and where the club was at...when we were slaughtered each week and could not hit targets - I think that context is really important when you breakdown those numbers.... He'd be seen as a gun albeit a (laconic) one if he ended up at Geelong or Hawthorn, or North or St Kilda rather than a bottom of the barrel Dees during those years... apols to @Grapeviney...you know why.

Edited by Danelska
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 30/09/2017 at 6:43 PM, demonmerv said:

I am a twenty year member of the Melbourne Football club and have been as passionate and patient as anybody. However I am absoulutely disgusted with Goodwin and the Club for telling Jack to explore his options. Jack Watts is an integral part of this club. We are horribly short of 195cm plus skillfull players. I believe jack to be very important to our future. Just take a look at the club promotions on the website and elsewhere. Jack is upfront in everything. If he goes then we stand to lose membership, sponsorship and supporters. This will split the club mark my words. In fact I will be reassessing my involvement. I have always believed Jack Watts was a very important part of our next premiership, which I am starting to think is now a very long way away. Goodwin has concerned me as the season has gone on and he is close to losing me totally. If Watts goes then Goodwin will struggle to see his contract out. This is going to set the Melbourne Football club back a long way. It saddens me to say this but that's the situation we face now. I was very down today watching the grand final knowing that when we start to get to a position of possibly challenging for the flag , we start to trade the players most likely to get us there.

Totally agree with this.  F me, but he was helping to carry us in the first half of the year.  His set shot accuracy is outstanding, his delivery also.  Its a goodwin thing.  Its been on the cards since preseason.  He is a typical young coach who thinks he is going to change the game and 'stamp' his style.  His frigging style is no different to any other club.  He is about to give away an integral piece of our immediate future, and give a match winner to another club.  As for all the commentary regarding Watts's partying.  Get a grip you sad, boring pricks.  Of course he is partying.  Its what young people do.  F me again, he didn't cheap shot anyone like vince and lewis (both in leadership group).  His hamstring injury was the first injury I ever recall him missing a game.  He has been surrounded by dud players and coaches since he has been at the club.  The first year we load up on some talent he has one very good year (2016) and continued that until his injury this year.  He has been one of our most resilient players in one of our worst ever periods.  Goodwin is a bit pathetic in this.  He is scapegoating Jack Watts again instead of supporting and encouraging.  He has allowed himself to be swept up in the Jack Watts circus.  [censored] Adelaide knobhead.

Edited by pinkshark
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MurDoc516 said:

Jack was scoring as many goals as Hogan and Garlett while being 3rd fiddle. Not many players put up those numbers doing his job, the ones that do are great players. So 2016 Jack Watts had a great season. You can disagree and that's fine, but i don't understand what your expectations on Jack are if 40 goals as a 3rd forward isn't a  great season.

If you don't get it by now, playing in an AFL team is not just about how many kicks you get or goals you kick. I guess we just have different definitions of the word "great".

• Like 1