Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Jack Watts

PaulRB

Trade Jack Watts or not?  

477 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, McQueen said:

Just tuned in for the first time too.

Duhwayne Russell..... Noooooooooo......

Did Duhwayne use one of his many overused cliches: “this is the biggest moment of his life”?

12 minutes ago, Dirts said:

Must say if they push him out after he has stated his desire to stay and get on the train, I would be disappointed. I would not be too happy if they throw him out. 

This club has arsed off some good servants over the years. No one said get rid of him when he won QB game. For mind, this club just never seems to get it right.

There is a difference between a good bloke which Jack is and a good servant which he has been below average at on field. Wish my work would guarantee me a job for being a good bloke during the yearly corporate restructures

Edited by Demons1858

I think it's a bad reflection on the club and Goody that this is playing out in the media.

they maybe trying to send a rocket up JW and I am sure it's not the first time but he is a melbourne player and we should not hang our own out to dry by the coach in public. 

• Like 5

I want Jack to stay and have said it many times over 9 years. 

However some of the crap being written on here is just stunning. 

The FD run the FD so let THEM do their job. They know the players better than anyone on DL.

We all trust PJ and he is not intervening.

If they are wrong so be it. 

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

I'm confused by the idea that so many people believe Watts to be a completely lost cause, yet also believe another club would be willing to trade him in.  If he was actually as bad and fragile as many seem to believe, surely he would be no use to anyone and would be delisted.  There is obviously a decent player there and quite a few clubs are interested in having him.

Simplistic observation I'm afraid. Clubs recruit players all the time based on their potential and the hope that a change of scenery helps. Sydney are the best at it and would be a good match for Watts to get out of the limelight but he loves his comfort zone too much

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Goodwin painted himself into the corner here with his, seemingly endless, public comments on Watts that now has Jack answering his exit interview in public.

1st year coach alright.

And will be gone by years end next year 

According to Watts; "It’s hard to leave nine years of friendship and a place you have spent nine years of your life."

IMO, Watts is content with his current place of employment. He has a secure 2 years worth of income along with a new Women's range of bathers being rolled out next year. Why would he want to leave? He would be leaving his comfort zone.

Lets be honest.. With everything that Goody has said. The writing is on the wall – But I don't think Watts is prepared to give up his lifestyle. If he stays.. Time will tell whether he pulls out his finger or not and it's all speculation until then. But just like the way he plays, the way he talks, does not instill any confidence.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bates Mate said:

I think it's a bad reflection on the club and Goody that this is playing out in the media.

they maybe trying to send a rocket up JW and I am sure it's not the first time but he is a melbourne player and we should not hang our own out to dry by the coach in public.

Quite right. 

Under Roos' reign, Mahoney was our spokesperson post season.  Roos let people do their jobs.  Goodwin may be falling for the trap of trying to control everything.

As a supporter it was terrific to hear one person give a consistent mfc message regardless of what was happening behind the scenes.

Goodwin has been RSN, SEN, Ch 7 for a variety of reasons but always included mixed messages about Jack staying/going and a negative narrative.  Yes, he was asked the question about Watts but failed to use a 'straight bat' approach. 

Now we have a [censored] for tat building between player and coach.  Whatever the outcome is, it is not good for our image.

Season is over, time for the coach to step back, get off air and let Mahoney do his job - one he does so well. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 5

I'm happy if Watts stays, but here is the crux of things.

If we are bolstering the backline with Lever, that squeezes out one of TMac/Omac or Frost. Most likely scenario to play TMac up forward alongside Hogan, and at some point in the future Weideman.  Person that gets squeezed out of the forward line is Watts, and he's too valuable a commodity to have play @ Casey, so Goodwin wants him to test out the market to see if we can get get a trade arranged and strengthen the list elsewhere.

Harsh reality of football I guess. But based on how Richmond won with a mosquito fleet up forward a lot of other clubs will be trying to emulate that. Meaning only one ruckman, and most likely two key forwards. Grigg was the back up ruck for Richmond in the grand final. GWS this year have been exposed for being too tall and probably playing people who are too talented to miss out on playing, but not a good balance for the 22 (Cameron, Lobb, Patton, Mumford)

Can anyone put Hogan, Watts, Gawn, TMac, Lever, OMac, Frost/Pedersen/Weideman in the same line up with the way the game is headed?  If any of these are excess to our needs then we need to identify their worth as currency. Watts is the player seen as both convenient ('in a rut') and also to be values by rival clubs...  Assuming Gawn, Hogan and TMac are untouchables...

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, MurDoc516 said:

His last two seasons have been more than good enough. Jack responded to his critics a long time ago, fans not letting go the fact he isn't the messiah they hoped for are the only ones saying he hasn't.

You must be joking. He was essentially dropped twice this year. Even if I concede he was ok last year then that's 1 out of 9 years. You happy with that?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Demons1858 said:

You must be joking. He was essentially dropped twice this year. Even if I concede he was ok last year then that's 1 out of 9 years. You happy with that?

I keep hearing he got dropped twice this season.... but I can't recall the second time?  can someone please clarify when that was? I only recall him being dropped after his injury.  

Very happy to be corrected though.

1 minute ago, Demons1858 said:

His numbers have always been decent. Last year he was great and this season he played 16, 3 or 4 of them still injured and on top of that had to do some ruck work. Yet he still put out good numbers.

3 minutes ago, Ouch! said:

I keep hearing he got dropped twice this season.... but I can't recall the second time?  can someone please clarify when that was? I only recall him being dropped after his injury.  

Very happy to be corrected though.

First time was the JLT but he played in Round 1. When he was dropped the 'second time' he played 2 VFL games and returned vs Collingwood.

1 hour ago, Deespicable said:

David Schwarz won our best and fairest the year after he was touted as being part of a Wayne Campbell trade.

Having said that, I still think once a coach decides to farm out a player, there's very little chance of them switching that position.

I don't remember that. So end of 98?

Makes me feel sick that we had interest in wayne campbell. He's about as likeable as boomer harvey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, MurDoc516 said:

His numbers have always been decent. Last year he was great and this season he played 16, 3 or 4 of them still injured and on top of that had to do some ruck work. Yet he still put out good numbers.

We have changed multiple captains, coaches, assistant coaches etc etc during his time at the club and here we are talking about the same issues from years ago.

Yes he had a solid year last year and was great in patches before his injury this year - but where do we draw a line with him? Im pretty sure Goody, Chunk, Viney etc have way more knowledge about WHY he is on the outer. There's an underlying issue with him and its time its fixed one way or the other.

Edited by DSP
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ouch! said:

I'm happy if Watts stays, but here is the crux of things.

If we are bolstering the backline with Lever, that squeezes out one of TMac/Omac or Frost. Most likely scenario to play TMac up forward alongside Hogan, and at some point in the future Weideman.  Person that gets squeezed out of the forward line is Watts, and he's too valuable a commodity to have play @ Casey, so Goodwin wants him to test out the market to see if we can get get a trade arranged and strengthen the list elsewhere.

Harsh reality of football I guess. But based on how Richmond won with a mosquito fleet up forward a lot of other clubs will be trying to emulate that. Meaning only one ruckman, and most likely two key forwards. Grigg was the back up ruck for Richmond in the grand final. GWS this year have been exposed for being too tall and probably playing people who are too talented to miss out on playing, but not a good balance for the 22 (Cameron, Lobb, Patton, Mumford)

Can anyone put Hogan, Watts, Gawn, TMac, Lever, OMac, Frost/Pedersen/Weideman in the same line up with the way the game is headed?  If any of these are excess to our needs then we need to identify their worth as currency. Watts is the player seen as both convenient ('in a rut') and also to be values by rival clubs...  Assuming Gawn, Hogan and TMac are untouchables...

Who says that the recruitment of Lever squeezes out the Macs and Frost?!  There's a thing called injuries (unless you're Richmond 2017 and never get one!) , and competition for spots.  It's critical to have depth, and TMac has shown he can play either end.  Even in your last scenario, we had Hogan, Watts, Gawn, TMac, OMac and the Weid in our team in Round 1 vs the Aints, and it was one of our better matches.  We had Joel Smith playing the Lever role, and he was doing it well until he got injured.  Adding Lever doesn't  squeeze a tallish player out.

1 hour ago, Fifty-5 said:

There's definitely a big gap between Goodwin and Jones saying that Jack knows exactly what is expected of him and what Jack is saying.  That doesn't augur well.

Its possible of course that his confusion is due to the message being poorly communicated

10 minutes ago, Deemented Are Go! said:

Merci beaucoup.

That's French for cheers mate

This reminds me of the castle :)

Dale Kerrigan "kalispera, that's greek for good evening"

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, MurDoc516 said:

This is the thing, he was good not "great" in 2016 and 2017. It was good that he was able to consistently contribute for the majority of games during this period but that should be the baseline. Saying he was "great" overplays his contribution and also speaks to how low the bar has been set.

• Like 5