Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Andrew Gaff

DemonLad5

hell no!! He is too soft. He had some games this year where the eagles fans wanted him out of the side. He plays in an era where the game is analysed by stats and possession counts which flatters him but he doesn't put his body on the line or hurt you with his possessions. I agree that we need outside run but only someone that breaks lines and has pace. Gaff is none of these things. 

1 hour ago, stevethemanjordan said:

May I ask, do you have a connection?

Or are you simply repeating what Jane has posted?

If the latter, @jane02 can you confirm?

I know Jane personally and she certainly has a connection and told me. She posted elsewhere and said that Gaff wants in to Melb. Hope she will repost

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

hell no!! He is too soft. He had some games this year where the eagles fans wanted him out of the side. He plays in an era where the game is analysed by stats and possession counts which flatters him but he doesn't put his body on the line or hurt you with his possessions. I agree that we need outside run but only someone that breaks lines and has pace. Gaff is none of these things. 

Gaff is both of those things. We've got enough inside ball winners - you won't win a flag if you've got too many of the same type. He's exactly what we need.

• Like 2

Meth Coast will want a lot for him. If Whitfields asking price from the Giants is similar than no contest for mine.

Whitfield is just about to breakout as Agrade IMO and will be many sides number 1 target in 2018

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Meth Coast will want a lot for him. If Whitfields asking price from the Giants is similar than no contest for mine.

Whitfield is just about to breakout as Agrade IMO and will be many sides number 1 target in 2018

Whitfield would be a dream, but has there been any word on him wanting out?  Havent seen his name pop up anywhere really.

17 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

With everything on the line last week v Crows, he was far from soft. Even perennial whipping boy Darling was crazy brave. Their desperation - and that of their teammates - put to shame our own insipid collective performance v Pies.

Gaff is a class player. Get him, Dees!

• Like 1

T Mitchell was highly rated before the trade, hence the Pick 14. But after the season he just had he now commands a top 5 pick. Same goes for Hibberd, he would command more than Pick 27 coming of an AA year.

You've gotta play the odds with draft picks, and so it is how you approach trades using them. 

Looking at pick 28, for every Lewis Taylor 'steal' there's a Fraser McInnes or Dillon Viojo-Rainbow who didn't make it. It's starting to get into the speculative territory where if you get a 50-100 game role player you've done pretty well, someone like Ryan Lester who was also Pick 28.

Similarly, 100-150 games and  a couple of top 5 B&F finishes is around the mark for a Pick 10. That's what we would get with Gaff.

Even if it is slightly 'overs' we can only trade what we have*. The sooner every club gets an academy and can take advantage of the points system the better to even some of these trades out. But that's a debate for another day.

Edited by Thrice
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Didnt realise he made the AA team in 2015, named on the wing. Won their B and F too. Came 4th in the Brownlow in 2016. 

Perhaps hes better than I give him credit for.

That's weird you missed that.

You're usually such a considered poster too....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Whitfield would be a dream, but has there been any word on him wanting out?  Havent seen his name pop up anywhere really.

Out of contract next season and if they keep Kelly Hopper and Kennedy I think Whitfield would be gettable. 

I'm sure many clubs have already asked the question 

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

the top 5%. Quote from the Ouch! link: "To put that figure in perspective, a wage that ranks in the top five per cent of players aged 25-plus would put the free agent among the game's top 15 earners".

Hard to imagine a future Gaff contract would be in the top 15, for WCE to get a 1st round pick (ie 'Band 1 Compensation'). Maybe 'Band 2' (end of first round pick) but they seem to be more in the lap of the AFL gods to determine.

bidding war  As an FA he can nominate his destination club so their would be no competition - unless WCE make a higher bid to keep him as Adelaide threatened to do with Danger.

Not sure that non-FA trades (Prestia, Mitchell et) are a good basis to predict FA comp picks.  They aren't comparable eg Hawthorn got pick 19 for Buddy and had Dusty left Richmond they would receive a similar compensation pick depending on where they finish.

Scott Selwood, Ty Vickery, Daniel Wells, Chris Mayne - all 2nd round compo

Gaff will be valued higher than that - end of 1st round minimum., so for WC to bring forward a trade to improve on that it's going to need to involve our pick 10 (or some other 1st rounder we can import), and there's not much comparative value to them in 2018 1st rounders either.  That was my original argument.

2 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Gaff was a pick 4 so they'd want a first rounder minimum which is fair.

I'd offer our 2018 first-rounder and Kent for their 2018 second-round pick.

Watts was a pick one, what would he be worth now?

I'm not sure Gaff is worth a 1st rounder,  haven't seen enough of him this year but given the Hawks payed something like that for Mitchell I think it would be overs for Gaff.

We have to get back in the draft at sometime, maybe if we trade our first rounder next year and get a 2nd rounder back from them that would be good. We will probably have pick 18 and their 2nd rounder might be 19 or 20...(only half joking)

Not saying I wouldn't want him, I think he would be a good get for us.

33 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Scott Selwood, Ty Vickery, Daniel Wells, Chris Mayne - all 2nd round compo

Gaff will be valued higher than that - end of 1st round minimum., so for WC to bring forward a trade to improve on that it's going to need to involve our pick 10 (or some other 1st rounder we can import), and there's not much comparative value to them in 2018 1st rounders either.  That was my original argument.

A 2nd round pick is 'Band 3' in AFL compensation pick terms. 

I did say 'Band 2' ie end of first round about pick 20 would be possible from the AFL but not likely to be 'Band 1' ie 1st round pick.

Anyway, as I stated earlier I see no reason to get him this year - wait till next year and WCE take what the AFL give them and we get him for nothing. 

1 hour ago, rjay said:

Watts was a pick one, what would he be worth now?

I'm not sure Gaff is worth a 1st rounder,  haven't seen enough of him this year but given the Hawks payed something like that for Mitchell I think it would be overs for Gaff.

We have to get back in the draft at sometime, maybe if we trade our first rounder next year and get a 2nd rounder back from them that would be good. We will probably have pick 18 and their 2nd rounder might be 19 or 20...(only half joking)

Not saying I wouldn't want him, I think he would be a good get for us.

He was an AA in 2015.

Last year he was in the 44 man AA squad, finished 3rd in West Coast's BnF and came equal 4th in the Brownlow...

I'm sorry but you simply can't compare him to Watts given their output to date. 

Gaff was a former pick 4 and is worth a first-rounder whichever way you look at it based on his individual accolades over the last couple of years as well as his draft number.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

He was an AA in 2015.

Last year he was in the 44 man AA squad, finished 3rd in West Coast's BnF and came equal 4th in the Brownlow...

I'm sorry but you simply can't compare him to Watts given their output to date. 

Gaff was a former pick 4 and is worth a first-rounder whichever way you look at it based on his individual accolades over the last couple of years as well as his draft number.

What about this year, has gone backwards, I always prefer the AFLCA votes? not even close to top 10

Others in top 5 of Brownlow have carried on where they left of

Nobody on here watches him week to week

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

What about this year, has gone backwards, I always prefer the AFLCA votes? not even close to top 10

Nobody on jere watches him week to week

Probably because the Eagles inside mids have struggled.

We shouldn't have this problem over the next 5 years with Oliver, Viney, Petracca & Tyson.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

Probably because the Eagles inside mids have struggled.

We shouldn't have this problem over the next 5 years with Oliver, Viney, Petracca & Tyson.

So you mean Gaff needs somebody getting the ball for him, otherwise he struggles? Don't think Goodwin is a fan of that type of player, so will be interesting to see if we pursue

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

An upgrade on our current outside mids, but can be a downhill skier and the asking price might be too high.

Who else might be into him? 

I agree with your sentiment but we should be winning more games than we are losing  next year so he would fit the bill perfectly.

22 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

So you mean Gaff needs somebody getting the ball for him, otherwise he struggles? Don't think Goodwin is a fan of that type of player, so will be interesting to see if we pursue

I think Goody likes that sort of player when it is their role to do so, and when it comes time to attack and get in and under he expects them to do it then too.  Whether Gaff can do that when asked and still be a skilled user I am not sure.

Edited by AzzKikA
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

i think one of our big weaknesses is we don't have a lot of outsider midfield styles. 'Tis all balance 

• Like 2

Has generally been pretty consistent week in week out for the last few years, so not sure whether the claims of Gaff vanishing when things get hot is particularly well founded.

Whitfield has greater upside and more damaging by foot, but would be happy to get Gaff.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/115500/Andrew-GAFF

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

Nobody on here watches him week to week

Not interested in getting into a ping pong game with you but I find it interesting that you of all posters are questioning his year given the way you carry on about the countless players on our list both past and present who either regress or never even get close to reaching the level of footy that Gaff has reached. For all the excuses/variables/other contributing factors etc you come up with for our own players, it would seem only fair that you'd allow the same leniency for Gaff this year.

Having said all that, his averages are only marginally less than last year's. See here: http://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=2079

Last year he wasn't in the top 10 for the AFLCA votes either. I don't know why that's your favourite. I don't really care that he didn't feature in the top 10. The accolades he received from his own club, the panel that choose the AA and the fact he was equal 4th in the Charlie prove that he's quality. Shuey, Priddis and Kennedy all would have had a fair chunk of votes in the AFLCA. It's like saying Selwood underperformed last year because he didn't poll well in the Brownlow. Had Dangerfield not been at Geelong, Selwood would have obviously polled more votes.

And as for the other top 5 Brownlow finishers from last year all taking off from where they left off, you're plainly wrong. Parker, Hannebery, Treloar and the Bont have all had down years compared to last.

It may come as a surprise to you, but others including myself have an interest in many teams and individuals aside from the MFC which is why we enjoy talking about the possibility of a quality opposition player joining the club.

Gaff is quality and is exactly the type of player that we're crying out for. Clearly you've spent too much time at Gosh's paddock to see that.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 10

We are getting picky at Demonland.  Andrew Gaff not good enough for us?  Wow.

Perfect age, provides what we desperately need, averages 29 possessions a game this year for WCE, lovely kick, runs all day, good decision maker and durable.

Nah, who needs that? I love him at the Demons, would be one of our best 10 players. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1