Cranky Franky

Dom Tyson - Yes or No ?

On 01/09/2017 at 1:47 AM, stevethemanjordan said:

This post really doesn't make a lot of sense.

If we lack pace as a side, then the question to ask would be; which players through our midfield are most expendable?

As a pure inside mid, Dom sits way down the pecking order which is part of the reason why he has been playing on the wing in more of an outside role. He was brought to our club as a pure ball winner and that's where he was most effective and had his best year. That's his game. Winning inside ball. But like all sides, once your talent level and list quality grows and you bring in players with greater attribute diversity, then your lesser types and one trick ponies like Dom will be found out. 

Viney, Oliver, Jones, Lewis, Petracca, Brayshaw. All of them trump Tyson in most areas of the game. 

Dom Tyson playing on a wing at AFL level is nothing short of ludicrous. He is slow and lacks pace so he has a shocking ability to run two-ways. His footskills and decision making are bog ordinary. These facts are undeniable.

Whether or not we keep or trade him is not really something that bothers me too much. What bothers me is that he is playing in a position and role that is simply not cut for the type of player he is and he was just so incredibly ineffective in many games this year. He needs to either play a second-fiddle pure inside mid role if a Viney or Oliver get injured or he doesn't have a place in the side.

As for the 'ability to win possessions' call that is made by his constant defenders. I have three points for you:

1 - Being the AFL's number one side for disposals means you're going to see a higher average in individual numbers also.

2 - Given his outside role this year, his uncontested numbers were generally always more than his contested. Which means he was given the ball. Or picked it up with nobody around. This is not under 10's. That is not worthy of praise.

3 - The most important thing in all of this 'possession' talk ESPECIALLY as an outside type is what you do with the ball. The value of your possessions. The quality of the disposal. And by golly goodness, not only does he not damage the opposition. He damages his own side by turning it over. 

Dom is without any doubt whatsoever a problem when playing wing for the MFC. 

Sorry to puncture this long thread, but, apart from the last match, when did Tyson play on a wing? Because of the controversy on this site I started watching him closely. Almost always, he has been in the middle getting first hands on the ball. He has not been an " outside mid " at all. And this has been particularly the case while we have had either Jones or Viney out for the last half. 

On 29/08/2017 at 11:22 PM, jnrmac said:

Also has no tank. His last quarters are terrible 

Didn't he miss preseason?

it hasn't always been the case

I think he was valuable and his distribution quite accurate. I'm a bit shocked to hear so many against him and in a careless way like putting down a racehorse.

And people talking about turnovers, gosh, half the team were constantly doing that throughout the season. Clayton Oliver seems to have a concession card for making errors.

On 12/09/2017 at 3:03 PM, jnrmac said:

I don't define the stats.

If we have the ball and it ends up in the other teams hands its a TO. Its not rocket science

A ball kicked to a contest is NOT a turnover . You are plain wrong

On 12/09/2017 at 11:02 PM, jnrmac said:

No its not

He was joking

Decided to look at some stats

tyson afl dreamtime rating in 2017 was 91

viney 90

petracca 76

jones 101

oliver 102

not certain who else we should match him with.

Tyson was second in the B and F in 2014, season ruined by injury in 2015, 4th in 2016

and there are are many who want to get rid of him!!!