Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Post Match Discussion - Round 23

Demonland

A review is need on the capitulation & lack of intensity from our players which once again have failed! 

Some will say it's 2 more wins over 2016 but it's a failure & a missed opportunity for a finals birth! Our players melted & appears our leaders failed us in particular the pies game. 

Feeling guttered & fed up ... club needs to respond with what course /plans on addressing the issues! 

• Like 2

Just watched the replay...senses dulled with a G&T.... and I have to say Gawn, Brayshaw & Harmes probably had their worst ever games. Take Hogan out with injury and we were essentially playing 4 men short.  

Max Gawn needs a rocket so badly, not even able to beat Taylor Adams in an aerial contest in the last quarter. His ruck work was ineffectual all day. An embarrassing effort all-round. 

Kudos to Jordan Lewis, played very well. Our tackling coach needs to be shown the door. Poor tackling and failing to  fully capitalise on our dominant start to the 2nd quarter cost us the game... and a spot in the finals.

Think I'll grab another G&T. It's 12:22 am so I guess it's Mad Monday!!!

• Like 1

Say what you will about our lack of tackles, but it was Collingwood that played finals level footy yesterday, not us. Yes our fault for not turning up, but lets not pretend we have it in the bag against a collingwood who've shown they can smash teams for a half, before choking the 2nd. They did it to Geelong a week earlier. They had one of those halves where everything goes their way. Made their own luck through a very physical and attacking game. Beat us at our own game. Collingwood [censored] their year up earlier than us, but their pieces still come together from time to time and when it works its top 8 footy. Our fault for being in this position, collingwoods fault for beating us fair and square. Bit sick of the "we choked to a 2nd rate pies" talk. We started choking two months ago, but other teams also stepped up and played brilliant footy. 

Edited by Wrecked Owl Dees Function
  • Like 1

I banned myself from posting in this thread for two days to see if my anger and disappointment would subside, but if anything it has increased after WC's win yesterday. The playing group should be utterly ashamed by their efforts and performance on Saturday, and I hope the missed opportunity haunts them all for the rest of their lives. Clearly Goodwin wants to be everybody's mate, but I hope he absolutely tore into them at quarter time and after the game.

I thought we collectively looked scared witless on Saturday. The only players who took the game on at any point were Petracca & Hunt, possibly Watts & Melksham as well. The rest couldn't wait to pass the responsibility on to someone else. Our leaders and experienced players were collectively awful, from the captain down. It is truly sad when our best players were all second years.

Max Gawn's novelty buffoon act was endearing initially, and tolerable when he was performing well. With his form plummeting he is now just embarrassing himself. Sydney got into his head in round 16, he capitulated on that night and hasn't been the same since. He is clearly unfit and mentally he checked out weeks ago. He needs to decide whether he wants to be a footballer or a clown. He has had one good year in eight, and I will lose all respect if he holds the club to ransom when signing a new contract next year.

Tom McDonald is another who pretends to be a leader and senior player but his double act of sooking to umpires and mouthing off at opponents was pathetic. He hasn't had a kick for weeks (at least one that didn't hit an opponent on the chest) and was the single biggest reason why we lost on the weekend. Again he'd better not crap on about making finals and seeing the direction of the club next year, when he is so responsible for our current predicament.

Jones, Tyson & Oliver - I see the effort of all three, but just kick the fricking ball occasionally. Oliver is young and will win the B&F by miles but he will be a much more effective player when he kicks 50% of the time. Jones is supposed to be a leader, but he sets the tone for the team by taking the easy option all the time. Tyson has not progressed as a player over the past three years.

Harmes, Hannan & Vince - One decent quarter a month and 15 disappearing acts is not nearly enough for Harmes & Hannan. Our ability to replace these two with consistent performers will determine whether we progress next year. Vince has lost the plot this year and should not be given a new contract.

The coach - was at his best when he was forced to improvise in the absence of key players. When he reverted to safe mode in the last month or so he was found sadly lacking. He desperately needs a plan B & C, and to be able to get the players switched on from the outset. Unfortunately these shortcomings are what you get when you hire a coach who has never coached at any level - hopefully they come in time.

I feel, and have felt for some time, that we are two decent midfielders off being a strong side. Hopefully we can find one with pick 10, and we will probably need to trade for the other. Maybe Salem can be used as trade bait. Our forward and back lines will improve immeasurably when they receive decent support from the midfield.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Mark George said:

They should watch west coast. They played all 4 quarters. 

Ironically the first time they've done it this year, but they did it when they needed to. We didn't.

37 minutes ago, Luther said:

Ironically the first time they've done it this year, but they did it when they needed to. We didn't.

Didnt play 4 qtrs all year. Not one game. Hmmmm ?

• Like 1

We did a great job to put ourselves in a position to play finals in a tough season with injuries and a young developing side.

But to fail to deliver the final blow like that was pathetic and inexcusable - can't make or stick a tackle, can't hit a short target and can't create a contest in the air. Really that was a disgraceful performance and very few players could hold their heads up - ironically two of them are former Essendon players.  It's going to be a very long summer.

Edited by Fifty-5
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We were easily a top 6 team this year

In the same way pies, saints and freo are.

The fact we are not in the final 8 is clear evidence that we are not ready for finals yet.

I know what your trying to say with our glimpses of great games but as the old saying goes

if My aunty had Ba11s...........

However, the only evidence is where we finish and on that basis it speaks for itself.

Believe me when I say I wish we were.

I find trump-Esque statements like "Rubbish" to be childish and lazy.

Anyway enough of that. You are clearly a very passionate and loyal supporter of the club so I respect that.

Hope you have a great summer.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

In the same way pies, saints and freo are.

The fact we are not in the final 8 is clear evidence that we are not ready for finals yet.

I know what your trying to say with our glimpses of great games but as the old saying goes

if My aunty had Ba11s...........

However, the only evidence is where we finish and on that basis it speaks for itself.

Believe me when I say I wish we were.

I find trump-Esque statements like "Rubbish" to be childish and lazy.

Anyway enough of that. You are clearly a very passionate and loyal supporter of the club so I respect that.

Hope you have a great summer.

I genuinely believe we were one of the best 6 teams in the comp this year. Of course the ladder is the ultimate arbiter but the only teams I would have easily ahead of us are Adel, Syd & GWS. We are on par with Rich & Geel, I'd have is slightly ahead of Port and we are better than that Windy Hill mob. The fact they've made finals and we haven't is sickening.

The first half of the season we were one of the better teams. We lost some games where we were the better side due to injuries and inaccuracy (Rich & Cats). The second half of the season we fell in a bit of a heap but still put in some good showings for parts of games (Port and Saints for starters).

The focus all summer should be on learning how to put away teams, firstly by smashing poor teams early and snuffing them out and secondly by pushing on when getting a decent lead against better opposition. I don't understand why we seem to ease up when we get to that 6-7 goal mark, keep pushing and put your foot to their throat! And with teams like the Lions, North etc come out and smash them early and theyll roll over in the second half. Geelong were excellent at this during their glory years you grind the poor teams down and get on top in the first half and kill off any hope they have. You give them a sniff at a rare win and theyll inevitably find another gear.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 2

One half of one percent, two freaking goals and we couldn't get it done or for that matter neither could the Crows, we played some really good games and some very ordinary games, we need a back-up Ruckman / Forward, A Top line backman who can intercept and hold the Gorilla's off and an Elite Mid that can run both ways and hit a target on the run. The rest of the team need to get fitter and take their kicking seriously, our miss kicks always go to the opposition whereas their miss kicks find a team mate???????????? I have been feeling really bad for the past month as I could sense that we were fast running out of steam and I couldn't see how we were going to get back to our early form.

Very, very disappointing, But "Such Is Life".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Trac-man said:

I was just wondering if anyone emailed the club and what sought of response they got??

A lot of people did and their response is in this post:

11 hours ago, poita said:

I banned myself from posting in this thread for two days to see if my anger and disappointment would subside, but if anything it has increased after WC's win yesterday. The playing group should be utterly ashamed by their efforts and performance on Saturday, and I hope the missed opportunity haunts them all for the rest of their lives. Clearly Goodwin wants to be everybody's mate, but I hope he absolutely tore into them at quarter time and after the game.

I thought we collectively looked scared witless on Saturday. The only players who took the game on at any point were Petracca & Hunt, possibly Watts & Melksham as well. The rest couldn't wait to pass the responsibility on to someone else. Our leaders and experienced players were collectively awful, from the captain down. It is truly sad when our best players were all second years.

Max Gawn's novelty buffoon act was endearing initially, and tolerable when he was performing well. With his form plummeting he is now just embarrassing himself. Sydney got into his head in round 16, he capitulated on that night and hasn't been the same since. He is clearly unfit and mentally he checked out weeks ago. He needs to decide whether he wants to be a footballer or a clown. He has had one good year in eight, and I will lose all respect if he holds the club to ransom when signing a new contract next year.

Tom McDonald is another who pretends to be a leader and senior player but his double act of sooking to umpires and mouthing off at opponents was pathetic. He hasn't had a kick for weeks (at least one that didn't hit an opponent on the chest) and was the single biggest reason why we lost on the weekend. Again he'd better not crap on about making finals and seeing the direction of the club next year, when he is so responsible for our current predicament.

Jones, Tyson & Oliver - I see the effort of all three, but just kick the fricking ball occasionally. Oliver is young and will win the B&F by miles but he will be a much more effective player when he kicks 50% of the time. Jones is supposed to be a leader, but he sets the tone for the team by taking the easy option all the time. Tyson has not progressed as a player over the past three years.

Harmes, Hannan & Vince - One decent quarter a month and 15 disappearing acts is not nearly enough for Harmes & Hannan. Our ability to replace these two with consistent performers will determine whether we progress next year. Vince has lost the plot this year and should not be given a new contract.

The coach - was at his best when he was forced to improvise in the absence of key players. When he reverted to safe mode in the last month or so he was found sadly lacking. He desperately needs a plan B & C, and to be able to get the players switched on from the outset. Unfortunately these shortcomings are what you get when you hire a coach who has never coached at any level - hopefully they come in time.

I feel, and have felt for some time, that we are two decent midfielders off being a strong side. Hopefully we can find one with pick 10, and we will probably need to trade for the other. Maybe Salem can be used as trade bait. Our forward and back lines will improve immeasurably when they receive decent support from the midfield.

Wild just like to add that I thought Hibberd wasn't too bad at times and tried his best all day.

I think we paid a big price for letting go of both Dunny & Howe vs keeping Omac and Garland.  Whilst neither are miles ahead for me,. I wld have taken either above those two if it were possible.  We would probably now be playing finals as a result.  The Pies only started to turn around their season once they started playing Dunny.

I would trade " too slow" Tyson ahead of Salem in a heart beat.  Salem thinks and assesses so much quicker and is actually able to hit targets.  He also has much more upside.  Tyson appears to have reached his best, and even that isn't worthy of a regular berth in the 22. Having said that his game on Sat wasn't great.  I would have hoped Goody & the FD went taller down back and included Frost at the expense of Salem though.  

Edited by Rusty Nails

10 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

24 disposals, 14 kicks at 91% DE. 

His weight disgusts me, lose some fat fatty Salem. 

I know he's really ballooned out since the thyroid imbalance.

You could say he has conquered anorexia in the same way as Adele has conquered Costco.

• Like 2

Here's some rather damning reading...( from mfc site )

Experience differential

Games: Melbourne (2154) v Collingwood (1569)

Goals: Melbourne (1370) v Collingwood (933)

Average age: Melbourne (25 years, 43 days) v Collingwood (23 years, 274 days)

Couple that with their somewhat depleted lineup v our near full strength

and they pantsed us :huh:

MFC should go into the ice cream business  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 8/28/2017 at 11:10 AM, Dr. Gonzo said:

The fact they've made finals and we haven't is sickening.

Im happy with our obvious improvement but really annoyed at the way we finished.

Losing to Norf, scraping in against Gold coast and being beaten by Pies has taken away much of the joy. To see senior players like gawn, , vince, watts and to a degree garlett, finish the seasons last 5 games like that was pretty bad. 

Lots of work needs to be done to fix some glaring problems and deficiencies.

I hope we can continue to improve.

The injuries this year were horrendous.

Next year s a make or break year and if we dont make finals I cant imagine people will continue to buy memberships.

I wish the afl would stop adding clubs that have no real base like sons and giants though.

If it aint broke.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Last year he was talking about being the best in the comp.

Watts has had one good year in 8 as well now and while Ive always cheered him I now think hes pretty average.Vince is cooked and Jeffy finishes playing at around the 17th game each season.

On 28/08/2017 at 11:14 AM, DeeZone said:

One half of one percent, two freaking goals and we couldn't get it done or for that matter neither could the Crows, we played some really good games and some very ordinary games, we need a back-up Ruckman / Forward, A Top line backman who can intercept and hold the Gorilla's off and an Elite Mid that can run both ways and hit a target on the run. The rest of the team need to get fitter and take their kicking seriously, our miss kicks always go to the opposition whereas their miss kicks find a team mate???????????? I have been feeling really bad for the past month as I could sense that we were fast running out of steam and I couldn't see how we were going to get back to our early form.

Very, very disappointing, But "Such Is Life".

As Ned Kelly got hanged so did we.

• Like 1