Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Trade rumours

Big T Mac

3 hours ago, BAMF said:

Zero difference.

Zero issues.

Edit: p.s. I don't necessarily disagree with your opinion of Weideman. Just pointing how hypocritical your post was.

No, there are clear differences.

Differences in spotting talent and promising signs during a game (but not only limited to that game), from a not-yet-ready young and developing key forward in his second year Vs posters suggesting we should trade Weideman after Tom McDonald plays a handful of good games playing as a fill-in key forward. 

Given Tom's close relationship with the word 'inconsistency', it only adds to my point about posters putting too much weight on a few good performances before making absurd calls like that. 

I merely made the point that through some VFL performances (the box hill one especially), one can see Weideman's talent and why he was rated so highly. It's there to see. I didn't call him a star or that he'll become one.

So no, given the context there was no hypocrisy in my post. I just should have elaborated on the differences.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Hypocrisy has developed into an art form on Demonland

Can somebody tell me 3 reasons why we need another small fwd and AFL website says we do is not one

If we keep everybody and get everyone fit, it is consistent fwd pressure we need from every fwd, doesn't necessarily have to be small, everybody is getting sucked in by Richmond model as they did with Bulldogs last year

We are forgetting Tim Smith. Hasn't showed a lot yet but could be a versatile fwd for us.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

We are forgetting Tim Smith. Hasn't showed a lot yet but could be a versatile fwd for us.

I wouldn't be hitching my wagon to Smith. Hogan, Weed, Hannan, pedo and Watts are all in front of him.  We also have  Vanders who is a similar type 

Back up at best 

Edited by Demons11
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, It's Time said:

My definition of a small forward attributes are not in order :

1. Elite speed

2. Uncanny ability to read the play

3. Ability to get in the right place to collect balls off packs

4. Ability to lead to the right more obscure place to create non existent opportunity and goal.

5. Elite kicking for goal from difficult positions

6. Apply great forward pressure. Like the man who  invented it. Mr A Davey.  

7. Etc Etc

Jeffy is the only one who has those attributes. Ideally you need two in the team. You also need some who can come in when Jeffy has his annual form slump or gets injured. 

Maye Dion Johnston will become one but I don't believe he has that burst speed. JKH doesn't have it and not a great kick for goal. Trac has it all but is more a high half forward slash midfielder. I guess Melksham has shown a bit of all of that but again more as a high half forward. ANB too but without the elite speed and without the elite any of the above but has it at a non elite level. 

Put this together and you get more than 3 reasons why we need more small forwards. :mellow:

Like the man who  invented it. Mr A Davey.  ???

Or was it earlier than that?  Wasn't it Mr J Farmer, at the Demons?

4 minutes ago, DV8 said:

Like the man who  invented it. Mr A Davey.  ???

Or was it earlier than that?  Wasn't it Mr J Farmer, at the Demons?

No you are right,  I reckon Flash was the first ever in the league to consistently provide forward pressure.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We might need a separate thread for questions (perhaps I'm missing it?), but surely we'd have to have a look at Rockliff. Have no idea what currency we'd have to get the deal done, but Rockliff would be perfect in the red and blue.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, A F said:

We might need a separate thread for questions (perhaps I'm missing it?), but surely we'd have to have a look at Rockliff. Have no idea what currency we'd have to get the deal done, but Rockliff would be perfect in the red and blue.

He's a FA, so would cost nothing except salary cap space. Severely underrated player who you'd hope we're looking at. Would walk into our best team no problem. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, adsy said:

He's a FA, so would cost nothing except salary cap space. Severely underrated player who you'd hope we're looking at. Would walk into our best team no problem. 

He's also got that flexibility to his game that Goodwin and the FD seem to like. Can go forward and snag a few, as well as ball magnet it up.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, A F said:

He's also got that flexibility to his game that Goodwin and the FD seem to like. Can go forward and snag a few, as well as ball magnet it up.

Agree. Very much a goody style player. A very consistent player. Good mark and good kick. I think he is a little slow though, which isnt an issue in of itself but we have a surfeit of slow players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

No, there are clear differences.

Differences in spotting talent and promising signs during a game (but not only limited to that game), from a not-yet-ready young and developing key forward in his second year Vs posters suggesting we should trade Weideman after Tom McDonald plays a handful of good games playing as a fill-in key forward. 

Given Tom's close relationship with the word 'inconsistency', it only adds to my point about posters putting too much weight on a few good performances before making absurd calls like that. 

I merely made the point that through some VFL performances (the box hill one especially), one can see Weideman's talent and why he was rated so highly. It's there to see. I didn't call him a star or that he'll become one.

So no, given the context there was no hypocrisy in my post. I just should have elaborated on the differences.

Nice response. To be honest, I respect you posts. I don't always agree with your opinion, but respect your point of view and always read what you have to say as you usually clearly articulate what your thoughts are in great detail. I have come to this site for roughly an hour and a half each day since 2003 but do not post much as I really cannot be bothered to go into as much detail as you do.

Your comparison of Weid to Josh Kennedy is fair. Both showed next to nothing in there second season. Tex walker also showed only a little more in his second season. There is no promise that Sam will have the same development as these two. Most of the better full forwards were showing a lot more promise at the same age. Sam is slightly slow which worries me. I haven't seen him at VFL level. So cant comment too much there, however from following Demonland, I think its fair to say that he hasn't had a good year compared to his promising his first. I think everyone was excited after his Box Hill game which was the clear highlight. He could develop into a good player or he might not. There are a truckload of players who fail to develop or deliver on their young talent. I would be open to trading him if he requests it and if we get equal value to what we paid for him.

I disagree with you in relation to TMac. Played forward for large parts of roughly 12 games for 23 goals, swung back or to the ruck in many. Sure, there were times where I was frustrated from a lack of impact, but he showed a lot of impressive signs for a guy who had been thrown into a position he had little training in and a very surprising accuracy for goal. You will be disappointed if you think he will only play defense next year. He has shown enough to be continued in attack and fill in ruck.

I do agree that Weideman wont be traded because TMac plays forward. As mentioned above, I would be happy to trade him if the price is right. But we would need to draft another young tall. Hell, I think we need another one already,  so if Weid goes that would be two young tall forwards we would need to draft or trade in.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, A F said:

I dont think there is much talk about Rockliff as while he is a great player and we could always use a great player.... he isnt an outside mid/Fwd-Ruck or tall defender.

I would absolutely love it if we got him and had the luxury of playing him inside mid or forward, but he isnt a pressing need and wouldn't be cheap. I was hoping we were going to trade him in last year.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Demon77 said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned already but this could be more BS.

Hear demons have put Watts and Salem on the table to Free up room for jake Lever arrival. Time will tell

I know its been said before, but it defies logic that waldron still has a media gig after what he did at the storm.

The only thing more baffling would be wayne carey having a regular tv commentary spot...

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, clark's kick said:

I know its been said before, but it defies logic that waldron still has a media gig after what he did at the storm.

The only thing more baffling would be wayne carey having a regular tv commentary spot...

Regardless of what you think of him, he does get very good mail 

1 hour ago, BAMF said:

I dont think there is much talk about Rockliff as while he is a great player and we could always use a great player.... he isnt an outside mid/Fwd-Ruck or tall defender.

I would absolutely love it if we got him and had the luxury of playing him inside mid or forward, but he isnt a pressing need and wouldn't be cheap. I was hoping we were going to trade him in last year.

Why can't we upgrade what we have AND fill in holes ? Only time and player availability would be the limiting factor. If we bring in Rockliff and assess that we don't need Tyson or ANB and can use him in a trade package or trade for someone that fills in a hole.

Am told Cats are keen on Devon Smith, who has recently acquired real estate on the Bellarine, that Jake Stringer's preferred destination is The Cattery, ditto for Rockliff and they expect to welcome back SOG for a packet of crisps.  Expect to lose Motlop and some other cast offs.  They will always be a destination club because of their location.

They'll need to trade some serious assets if the cats expect to land Devon Smith, Rockliff, SOG and Stinger all in this offseason

They only have 2018 picks?? 1 2018 first round pick to land all of those players... And Fatlop (who didin't have a bad game last night) and some other B graders won't get 1st round picks

It's going to be interesting but what a joke if they pull them all off....

Edited by Unleash Hell

1 hour ago, Unleash Hell said:

They'll need to trade some serious assets if the cats expect to land Devon Smith, Rockliff, SOG and Stinger all in this offseason

They only have 2018 picks?? 1 2018 first round pick to land all of those players... And Fatlop (who didin't have a bad game last night) and some other B graders won't get 1st round picks

It's going to be interesting but what a joke if they pull them all off....

But they always seem to get the seemingly impossible trades done. I would not be surprised one bit if it all comes to pass.

We should be setting the same lofty goals for our own list development now. I'm really hoping this is the year where we do a Geelong and bag some stars.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, McQueen said:

But they always seem to get the seemingly impossible trades done. I would not be surprised one bit if it all comes to pass.

We should be setting the same lofty goals for our own list development now. I'm really hoping this is the year where we do a Geelong and bag some stars.

It too has me bvggered as to how they horse trade but by Jupiter they're bloody good at it.

Dont know about 'stars' but would be content to add a bit of 'class' to our game. 

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 1

Does anyone know for sure how Geelong are impacted by the whole 'must use 2 first round draft picks in a rolling 4 year period' situation?

Nakia Cockatoo was their last first round selection in 2014 draft, and without first rounder to use in this years 2017 draft surely they are required to keep/use first rounder picks for next years 2018 draft? - perhaps even required to trade in a first round pick ontop of that to get their 2 first rounders in 4 years?

Most I've found about it is random Herald Sun article basically saying the AFL are only planning to loosely follow that rule until 2019 when it will become much stricter.