Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Our Best Lineup

occo

Where's Yze??

Perhaps if Daniher got him of defence (ie - Freo final) then maybe he'll be more the skilfull and classy player we loved in the early 2000's!!!

He must be in the starting 22. Not negotiable. If he has a soft 6 weeks, then drop him.

BBP, Yze has gone missing at the business end of the year for the past three years and has shown he is able to apply his talents against weak and soft opposition but has no capaicty to compete when the game is hard.

He will struggle in 2007 on the way he finished 2006. He is no certainty for the best 22 not by a long shot. Has the ability no doubt ( i swould argue this has waned) but has continuously been short on the consistent application to the cause.

FWIW, I think Hannibal's side is just about right. I would not be unhappy if one of our new recruits was to pay their socks off and compete for a best 22 spot this year (aka Bartram).

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whelan Carroll CJ

Bell Rivers Bartram

TJ McDonald Bate

Green Dunn Davey

Robertson Neitz Pickett

White Bruce McLean

Jamar/PJ Sylvia Jones Moloney

That's a fairly small backline.

Even if CJ does come along nicely in 07, I don't see him as a true defender. He's more of a HBF.

He'll be far more useful creating run behind the ball, than shutting down a key opponent.

Hopefully Frawley cements his place as a third tall by the end of the year. As it stands, I'd go Warnock over CJ and you can probably replace Bartram with CJ until he is fit. Then, I'm affraid someone will miss out.

The rest is pretty good, although I'm fairly certain Daniher will play Miller. Just where he plays him, I don't know. Dunn has to get meaner and tougher if he wants that CHF spot.

It's not what I expect to happen but MY current best 22 assuming no injuries:

B: Whelan Carroll Bell

HB: Bruce Rivers Bartram

C: Green McLean Moloney

HF: Pickett Dunn Bate

F: Davey Neitz Robertson

R: White Johnstone McDonald

I: Jamar Jones Sylvia C.Johnson

Not bad Old, and I totally agree with your sentiments about Robertson and Yze. I'd like to see Dunn play as a CHF who plays between 60m out and the goal square, with Robertson playing further up the ground. We will never be a premiership threat with Miller as CHF. Opposition sides would be happy to see any CHF get possessions on the wing, because it doesn't hurt them.

I'd have a third tall defender in the 22 ahead of Bell. Is CJ the answer?

Aside from the 22 above, how many genuine midfielders do we have on our list as backup?

That's a fairly small backline.

Yeah, I'm not wedded to it, and as I stated, it's the one area that concerns me.

That said, when I look at Sydneys backline of Bolton, LRT, and Barry, as well as WC's with Glass, Hunter, and Chick, I'm not sure they need to be too tall as long as they compete/negate well, have pace and create.

C'mon people, we all know that Yze will be in the round 1 team; Sigh!

Barring injury no one has disputed that. However, some have questioned his ability to maintain his position in the best 22 over the course of the season if serves up insipid spineless performances that chararcterises his late August/ September contributions.

Have a look at some of the replays of last years games, particularly the second Sydney game where CJ got 5 possessions in a game where we were injury depleted and needed our depth to step up.

The guy just doesn't excite me, and I feel expectations around here grossly exceed what he's produced on the field todate. I don't think he has what it takes to become an AFL player. I hope I'm wrong....

However it wouldn't surprise me if this is Chris Johnson's last year for the red & blue. Bate, Jones, Dunn, Bartram, McLean, Bell and Sylvia appear far more likely candidates for the future.

good to see this has became another great debate about yze totally agree with u BBP

Where's Yze??

Perhaps if Daniher got him of defence (ie - Freo final) then maybe he'll be more the skilfull and classy player we loved in the early 2000's!!!

He must be in the starting 22. Not negotiable. If he has a soft 6 weeks, then drop him.

it is totally not negotiable!, there is only one type of player acceptable acording to half the people here. IN and under, hard nut if ur not that u dont have a place in the team is that right?

Daniher knows how important he is, why else would he play him 250 games in a row ?

Robertson and Yze are battling for the same position, a maximum of 2 of Davey, Robertson and Yze could play in a premiership side. Even though he's more flanker than CHF I prefer Dunn to Miller, Neitz will need to push up hard to the 50 to create a target like Barry Hall does. I like Bob's idea of Bruce as 3rd tall back, it gives the backline more class, attack and flexibility.

A couple of points on the above, I think Yze is in competition is with Pickett not Robertson, both Yze and Byron go missing and can be very lazy footballers.

Do you want to retire David Neitz at the season's end? Neita is turning 32 yo his domain should be from the goal line to 35-40m out, if he has to lead up like Barry Hall does up on the wing and working hard back the big Neita wont see the season out.

Bruce as a third tall defender, you may as well put Yze back there, Bruce is a soft fringe player, put him on a player that likes body contact and they will kick bags on him.

good to see this has became another great debate about yze totally agree with u BBP

it is totally not negotiable!

How has Yze gone in finals ? I'll tell you - he hasn't. If you can't perform in finals you're about as much use as a cold pie. Or as Blight would say, look at the players that regularly let you down in big games.

Well I've looked and I've had enough. Daniher dropped Yze from the leadership group a year ago. He sees what we see and I suspect his patience is wearing thin also.

Bunch of pesimistic......

like to see almost any member of demonland coach the MFC

u would all have one player playing Brock Mclean

Bruce is Soft

Miller is crap

Yze no good in big games/soft

Green is often the victim of this rubbish as well

put 22 brocks on a team and it still wont win i hate to tell u.

Yze finals

Elimination Final 4th Sep 2004

Semi Final 14th Sep Adelaide 2002

and all the finals of 2000

appear to be sastisfactory performances to me, watch the games again maybe?

now if u wanna talk about 2005 vs geelong the whole side played crap which most people could tell u

and as for Freo this year he had a bad game ....

HB: Green Rivers Bartram

C: Johnstone Moloney Bate

HF: Pickett Miller Bruce

R: White Mclean McDonald

I: Jamar Jones Sylvia Yze

Holland, Dunn, CJ, PJ, Ward, Bizzell all pushing for selection also, depending on injuries, form, and match ups.

Also, anyone who doesnt have Yze in their team has no credibility posting on this site. He may have put in some soft performances in the last 2 years, but he's also one of the most skilled players in our side, and wins many matches off his own boot year after year. Unless he finally succumbs to injury, he is in the team. End of story.

HB: Green Rivers Bartram

C: Johnstone Moloney Bate

HF: Pickett Miller Bruce

R: White Mclean McDonald

I: Jamar Jones Sylvia Yze

Holland, Dunn, CJ, PJ, Ward, Bizzell all pushing for selection also, depending on injuries, form, and match ups.

Also, anyone who doesnt have Yze in their team has no credibility posting on this site. He may have put in some soft performances in the last 2 years, but he's also one of the most skilled players in our side, and wins many matches off his own boot year after year. Unless he finally succumbs to injury, he is in the team. End of story.

2 things:

1. No way would i have moloney in centre square. He is extreamly talented but many other players are beeter than him at this stage.

2. Miller at CHF, wheres dunn?

2 things:

1. No way would i have moloney in centre square. He is extreamly talented but many other players are beeter than him at this stage.

2. Miller at CHF, wheres dunn?

I think Moloneys best position is in the centre, right in the guts. Most people have listed Mclean there, but I'd prefer Brock to be on the ball, always at the contest, where ever it may be. Who else would you rather be in the centre?

Miller is at CHF, because that's where we need him, and that's when we play our best footy. He gives us a lead up target to aim for, and while he doesn't kick enough goals, he is the best option there at the moment. While I think Dunn is the better player, and will claim the spot in the future, he is still too undeveloped to hold down such a key role at this stage, and that's why I'd play Miller there, and let Dunn continue to develop, bulk up, and then fight for the spot.

I'm on the Yze bandwagon!!!

He must be in the 22. Ludicrious to suggest otherwise. Imagine if Yze isn't in the team for the St.Kilda game and we lose 7.14 to 13.10 with a severe lack of class and style as well as no foward line synergy. Meanwhile Yze plays in Sandringham's final practice match the next day and kicks 5 or 6 goals, jags 30 possessions and we wonder what the hell a 258 game stalwart is doing in a crappy suburban ground.

Also Robbo, Yze and Davey should not be fighting one another for spots in our best 22. Their our guns, not our depth! Quality should not be languishing in front of 113 people at an 'out-of-the-way' beach-side park. The kids won't win us a flag. You saw Bate and Jones were hopelessly overawed against Freo.

People criticise Davey for poor final performances and which is certainly warranted (Hell he hit the post from the goal sqaure against Geelong on 05 !!!) But a season is made up of 22 games plus 3 or 4 showcase games. You have to play 22 games to qualify. His home and away performances in all 3 years have been superb...absolutley superb!!!

And Yze must be in the 22.

Imagine if Yze isn't in the team for the St.Kilda game and we lose 7.14 to 13.10 with a severe lack of class and style as well as no foward line synergy.

He was in the team, we did win and he did stuff all but feed off easy opportunistic goals off other people's hard work. We would have still won without him. As far as class and forward synergy, David Neitz wax out there. Now there's a big game performer.

Good on him if he does that at Sandy. It would do him the world of good.

Also Robbo, Yze and Davey should not be fighting one another for spots in our best 22. Their our guns, not our depth!

I guess you console yourself with the fact that when these players continually struggle to perform under pressure in late August/Sept, you can console yourself that at least they played a good game when there was no pressure, the opposition ordinary and the goals realtively easy.

No one has denied their skills. Its their inability to consistently make strong contributions with those skills against the top teams especially at the business end of the season.

Some of you sycophants might be on the Yze band wagon but it is perilous not to recognise Yze's demotion from leadership and the comments made that a few players will have to justify themselves. He's one of them.

Thank God and its about time the football deprtment were onto this.

I like Old55 team except I'd have Miller ahead of Dunn at this stage. I really like the idea of Bruce on a HBF, particularly if the likes of Sylvia, Moloney, Bate and Jones step up in the midfield.

I haven't written of Brown, Wheatley or Bizzell either. This year we have a show. I don't expect any "development" games to be granted unlike other years. People will be calling for youth to be played this year but it won't be unless is earned. And fans, unlike the FD, always over rate the games of youth and under rate the games of established players.

The team will change depending on where we play. Brown is a very good "run and carry" player and was one of our best against Freo in the final.

I still have hopes for Bizzell. I know I'm one of few.

I expect the big mover this year to be Simon Buckley. Fast, great hands and good by foot. Won't be a regular but will play some games.

I expect the big slider to be Robbo. I don't think he works hard enough when he doesn't have the ball. If that doesn't change he'll play games at Sandy.

I guess you console yourself with the fact that when these players continually struggle to perform under pressure in late August/Sept, you can console yourself that at least they played a good game when there was no pressure, the opposition ordinary and the goals realtively easy.

I know the exact game you're talking about. Kangaroos rd 20 when Davey kicked 4 goals against a rabble.

But what do we do? Delist them because they play well in the regular season but fail in the finals? Remember you have to qualify to make the finals first.

Unfair to put Robbo in the "non-finals performers", he has always been a good contributor aside from this year where he was carrying several injuries and clearly struggling.

Still, I agree with your point.

BBP, you say the kids won't win us a flag... who will then?

It's quite obvious that the old brigade alone won't either, since we haven't won a flag in over 40 years.

We can keep playing the same side every week until they retire, and I bet you we won't get near a premiership. It's time to open our eyes to the faults in the side and try to fix them with what we have. Sure, it would be nice to leave Yze out of the side because we just have to fit Judd in somewhere, but that's not realistic.

If Yze gets a game in Round 1, it will be purely on reputation. I don't know about you, but I rather he is made to work for a position just like everybody else.

Davey is still young, so he gets the benefit of the doubt when it comes to finals. Yze however, just does not have that luxury anymore. I am sick of him always kicking junk-time goals, or capitalising on the good work of others. It's because he is so talented, that I feel like he's cheating the side when he is being lazy.

He may have more skills than some youngster, but he doesn't work nearly as hard.

What about the games where Yze kicked 5 against the pies?...do people just forget those games?!! That was a finals like atmosphere. not only is yze in the 22, starting 18 every game. It looks like, unlike the Miller selection, that myself and the melbourne footy club selection committee finally have some common ground and that is Yze.

BBP, you say the kids won't win us a flag... who will then?

A combination of kids and veterans. But after watching the Freo final, perhaps we are further away than what we'd like.

Its just that I nearly spat my coffee out when Old mentioned that Robbo, Yze and Davey are fighting for 2/3 spots for our best 22. Ofcourse he may be correct, but it just seems like a very left-field suggestion at this stage.

Perhaps this is the kick in the pants that all 3 players need!

What about the games where Yze kicked 5 against the pies?...do people just forget those games?!! That was a finals like atmosphere. not only is yze in the 22, starting 18 every game. It looks like, unlike the Miller selection, that myself and the melbourne footy club selection committee finally have some common ground and that is Yze.

It was a finals- like atmosphere, just pity about the crap-like opposition.

A combination of kids and veterans. But after watching the Freo final, perhaps we are further away than what we'd like.

We didn't lose the Freo game because Bate and Jones etc... didn't have great games (Yze, Robbo & Davey were poor too).

We lost because we ran out of legs, we had two giants wasting on the bench, and we could not compete with the run of Freo on the huge Subiaco ground.