Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Brendan McCartney pregame today

Queanbeyan Demon

I really rate B McC

I rate playing good footy higher

I rate winning higher

I rate Premierships above all.

Talk is worth 2/3 of 3/4 of f all really. Just saying ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deebug said:

Should of asked him which team is going to win the flag this year?

I'd be fairly confident he'd rank the teams Sydney, GWS, Geel, Bulldogs then Richmond, 
And list Adelaide (controversially), Port, Essendon and West Coast in the non contested group.

• Like 1

On 05/08/2017 at 9:50 PM, praha said:

Gonna be the devil's advocate...the leader in any field has 100% buy in. Saying "it's just not possible" is imo a exploitation of an uneducated support base that doesn't appreciate or know the metrics. 

Actually disagree, I doubt there will be 100% of players full committed to every goal/idea of the club/coach.  Simply because they may feel undervalued running around in the 2nd's, human ego is a fickle thing.  This is human nature, those players are then moved on which we see every season.  Not if the top 90% of players are fully in that will create the successful culture.  

12 hours ago, bing181 said:

The point made on the AFL site today: we have a midfield stacked with inside ball-getters who have no-one to feed it to when they do.

All of whom have only average or below average disposal skills. 

With better skills from midfielders the receivers have a better chance of getting the ball. 

We simply do not have players with those skills.   

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

All of whom have only average or below average disposal skills. 

With better skills from midfielders the receivers have a better chance of getting the ball. 

We simply do not have players with those skills.   

We have proven we have the skills all round - decisions made under pressure is a factor id say. Add looking up and not having a clear option ( structure) and trying to play like millionaires when we shouldnt and playing simple ( long) when we shouldnt . Decisions decisions. 

11 minutes ago, CityDee said:

We have proven we have the skills all round - decisions made under pressure is a factor id say. Add looking up and not having a clear option ( structure) and trying to play like millionaires when we shouldnt and playing simple ( long) when we shouldnt . Decisions decisions. 

Have we proven we have disposal skills in the midfield?  I must be missing something because our midfielder's disposal looks average or below average. 

I agree we lack decision making but that is also a skill.  And our midfielders don't have it - they take on the op or randomly try get the ball out.

What's more none of them can find or create space like the better midfielders in the league.  That is another skill which we lack.

We have a hard at it midfield which is great but they are all of the same ilk.  Individually and collectively they are lacking quite a few skills: disposal, decision making, finding space.  We need some different types in there but I don't think we have that type on our list.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

1 minute ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Have we proven we have disposal skills in the midfield?  I must be missing something because our midfielder's disposal looks average or below average. 

I agree we lack decision making but that is also a skill.  And our midfield don't have it - they take on the op or randomly try get the ball out.

What's more they cannot find or create space like the better midfielders in the league.  That is another skill which we lack.

We have a hard at it midfield which is great but they are all of the same ilk.  Individually and collectively they are lacking quite a few skills: disposal, decision making, finding space.  We need some different types in there but I don't think we have that type on our list.

Exactly.

We have no stars... No Danger/Selwood, no Parker/Hannebery/Kennedy, no Treloar/Pendlebury, no Cotchin/Martin, no Fyfe/Neale etc etc... All we have is a bunch of meat and potatoes midfielders who over handball and aren't fit enough (Petracca). Nathan Jones is and always has been a B grader in a bad side and I will forever question his leadership onfield when the chips are down. We need some stars who can turn games on their head, along with another KPF who can friggin mark and lead.

• Like 2

Clarry's a star   ( bit lonely I agree ...lol ) 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

I like McCartney and I like that we are based on contested footy but I also think the outside game matters and skills matter and just rolling numbers around the ball leads to a lot of space for the opposition to work in. See GWS being out the back all day.

Yesterday I think we had the following in the midfield: Viney, Oliver, Tyson, Jones, Lewis, Maynard, Harmes. They are all contested ball winners and nominal inside midfielders. Lewis and Jones are the only 2 who are good kicks. Harmes and Jones the only two likely to repeatedly break the lines and they aren't exactly super quick. Jones the only elite runner.

Now with more discipline we might've got away with playing stoppage footy and killing the game in the first quarter but we lost a bit of hardness and discipline and panicked and we didn't have nearly the run in the legs to go and chase down the Giants. As soon as it got outside the contest we were done.

The questions I'd like asked of the coaches is where is the outside run and how do we expect to play in tight every week and not have some versatility to run with the ball in attack and run back to defend. 

With more outside run I think we'd capitalise on our inside ball winning better - Oliver is dying to dish his handballs off to someone actually on the move - and we'd defend better the other way with more balance across the ground.

I agree - our outside run and polish was always likely to catch up with us, and unless we are absolutely smashing teams in contested ball and clearance (e.g. Port in the first half), our defence isn't quite strong enough to hold up.  The reason that Richmond are such a good team at the moment is their defence - they can absorb lots of inside 50s (as they did against us in the first half on ANZAC eve), keep it close on the scoreboard and then when they have some momentum can score themselves.  We don't seem to be able to hold up when the other team has it on their terms.  

You mention that Lewis and Jones are good kicks - Lewis'  kicking this year has been more inconsistent than I imagined, and Jones' kicking on Saturday, apart from the first pass to Maxy, was absolutely horrendous.  Hoping it was because he hasn't kicked on that right leg for about 6 weeks.  Harmes just butchers the ball constantly.  We are desperate for a quick outside mid with skills, a Brad Hill type gut runner.  

We are 13th in the league for disposal efficiency. 

Nev Jetta is number 2 with 87 

omac and Billy Stretch also rate highly 

stretch 80 

Lewis 79 

oliver 76

Jones 74

harmes 72

track Viney bugg tyson all between 65-70 

not too bad . 

16 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

Sounds like there's too many meetings for my liking

Get on the park, do some circle work, a bit of contested stuff, some run throughs, then hit the showers

Grab a pie and a beer and have a laugh together....play some crown and anchor

Aahh......memories ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CityDee said:

We are 13th in the league for disposal efficiency. 

Nev Jetta is number 2 with 87 

omac and Billy Stretch also rate highly 

stretch 80 

Lewis 79 

oliver 76

Jones 74

harmes 72

track Viney bugg tyson all between 65-70 

not too bad . 

Is there any way to look up KE% rather than DE%?

It is our horrible kicking that lets us down.

21 minutes ago, SFebey said:

Is there any way to look up KE% rather than DE%?

It is our horrible kicking that lets us down.

Cant find anything maybe champion data.but yeah we handball ok until we put someone in a position where they have to kick when they really shouldnt be . Usually the first or second handball should be a kick .  

On 05/08/2017 at 11:02 PM, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Attended the pregame function in Canberra today. Brendan McCartney was the guest speaker. He was super impressive. Here are some of the points he made . . .

• We are getting it right 85 percent of the time – flags are won by teams that get it right 90 percent of the time
  • No team ever operates at 100 percent – that’s a fallacy
  • Often he can tell who’s going to win a grand final within two minutes of the opening bounce based on how many numbers are at the ball and mistakes made
  • Numbers at the connect is what counts – bad teams have players that leave the contest too early or arrive to late
  • You know the side is playing well when you leave a contest and the opponent is on the ground
  • Pressure acts must be executed with the body close to the ball/opponent (i.e. not with the arms out stretched and the body at a distance from the pressure act)
  • The Melbourne game style is based on a ‘physical’, style of game – hard to play but ultimately successful in finals
  • Teams that don’t play a physical style (he said there were six at the moment) will be found out in September
  • Young, low profile coaching group and it’s a deliberate approach to keep media profile low
  • Under pressure, players default to their ‘instinctive’ way of playing (this was in reference to a question about Jack Watts)
  • Players attend around 16 meetings a week
  • Players review clips of their performance
  • Most players are able to provide accurate self-analysis of their performance
  • Videos are made and reviewed of training sessions and more is often learnt from these than game footage
  • His role is one of mentoring and assisting the assistant coaches – often sitting in on their meetings with players
  • Goody’s role is confined as much as possible to the players and game day (90 percent of his time) the other 10 percent is meetings with the board or managers etc.
  • A club is operating well when it can find good players low down in the draft (in reference to Maynard)
  • Priority has been to recruit players “who love the contest”
  • The players are acutely aware of how their performances effect the supporters
  • Many players who were treated poorly by the club a few years ago are now around the club (McDonald was mentioned)
  • Most professionally run club he’s been involved with
  • The club has provided a lot of education about the history of the MFC to the players and they all love the place
  • At any one time a maximum of 90 percent of the players will be buying into the game plan or coaching philosophy and anyone who says they have 100 percent buy in is kidding themselves
  • All players are given full and frank information about their performance and no player can claim to be in any doubt about the standards required from the club (both on and off the field) and how their contribution is measured
  • When asked about why the players do “dump things” he said footy teams are like any other endeavor where people management is involved . . . just because a coach (CEO/manager/parent) directs something to be done (example sighted was kicking long with the wind last week), it doesn’t mean they will/can execute it

I think this is the best post I have ever read on this site. Thank you QD.

• Like 2

To play devil's advocate:

Has McCartney ever been around to win a Premiership ?

Yes, some may say it's a vexatious question; but in a funny way it smacks of ...those that can...can. Those that can't ...teach.

He may well be a very valuable cog but i see SO much bullshlt espoused by many to do if nothing else substantiate their own positions that as always i let results dictate my views.

We've won NOTHING .

I take no one's gospel as ...well gospel. 

Itshis opinion, and a good and informed one.

I repeat... we've won nothing.

Caveat Emptor !!

13 hours ago, beelzebub said:

To play devil's advocate:

Has McCartney ever been around to win a Premiership ?

Yes, some may say it's a vexatious question; but in a funny way it smacks of ...those that can...can. Those that can't ...teach.

He may well be a very valuable cog but i see SO much bullshlt espoused by many to do if nothing else substantiate their own positions that as always i let results dictate my views.

We've won NOTHING .

I take no one's gospel as ...well gospel. 

Itshis opinion, and a good and informed one.

I repeat... we've won nothing.

Caveat Emptor !!

Only during 2007 and 2009 at Geelong....think he might have an idea what he's talking about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1