Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Watts (again)

Redlagged

28 minutes ago, picket fence said:

This whole strategy with watts is absolute [censored]! He was hung out to dry in his first game for the club and continues to be a scapegoat! I find it comical and sad, if not disturbing that he is playing again for the Casey Arctics! 

If he is not a better bet NOW than Weeds then if and probably will he requests a trade at years end and he goes and plays in a Premiership team I will be happy for him , but disturbed by the MFC and its inability to get a No 1 Draft pick to develop!

Astonishing Stuff!

Maybe follow him to his new club PF, the hyperbole won't be missed.

We'd all love Wattsy to be a part of the future success, but it's a 2 way street. He puts in, he gets the rewards on offer.

• Like 5

Yeah well He was playing injured anyway, came back and struggled! We all get that, but what many of you have forgotten is that when Jesse first went down who picked up the slack and got us over the line earlier in the season??? JW

All you of liitle faith! Shame! 

When he does go and I reckon he will can't wait to see the bloodletting on this site when he dominates the competition! 

We have mismanaged this bloke time and time again and I reckon we still do!

Shocking!

• Like 3

Get him back for finals? Seriously, lol. 

He's played some very good games. But if there's one player I'd expect to have no impact on the finals stage, it's Watts. Ten fold in this form. 

Then again, I would've said the same thing about Tom Boyd. 

6 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Yeah well He was playing injured anyway, came back and struggled! We all get that, but what many of you have forgotten is that when Jesse first went down who picked up the slack and got us over the line earlier in the season??? JW

When he does go and I reckon he will can't wait to see the bloodletting on this site when he dominates the competition! 

Shocking!

He was out of form, he got dropped. Didn't set the world alight at Casey

Our forward line functioned fine without him. 

Whats the problem and how was he mismanaged?

• Like 5

Jack is a thoroughbred not a brumby!  There are plenty of 'brawn' type players.  I do not understand why everyone is obsessed with making him a brawny brumby!

Jack is at his best as a 'link player'.  The most perfect example of that was his game winning run, play and goal vs the pies on QB.

The best link player is Adelaide's Tom Lynch.  I don't usually go for stats but in this case it is worth comparing their career averages:

• G:  Lynch = 1.5, Watts= 1.0
  • B:  Lynch = 0.9,  Watts = 0.5
  • K:  Lynch = 11,  Watts = 9
  • H: Handballs = 5.6,  Watts = 7.0
  • M:  Marks = 6.2,  Watts = 5.3
  • T:  Tackles = 1.7,  Watts = 2.0

Pretty good performance in that role, especially as he played a lot of games in defence and pinch hits in the ruck.

Obviously, he is not following coaches instructions.  It can't be those stats.  I think it is more likely to be the '1%ers' and 'pressure acts'. 

I am a firm believer in letting people (in any walk of life) play to their strengths rather than make them something they are not. 

So play Jack as a link man.  That is what he does best.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Shocking!

Actually. I agree. Has been hard done by imho as others get a more 'enlightened' treatment.

He has his shortcomings for sure. Just think he's very out of favour with Goody. Game over.

• Like 1

Goodwin generally knows how to get the best out of Jack ... the key to it all will be the timing.  Also, Watts it at his best when he's the 3rd forward/utility/part time ruck.  When needed as a focal point, he struggles.

I'm astonished that Hogan is back so early but him being back will help with Jack's return to the side.  I'd expect to see Watts back for the Pies encounter - 2 weeks out should do the trick.  We need his assists and finishing skills. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

He was out of form, he got dropped. Didn't set the world alight at Casey

Our forward line functioned fine without him. 

Whats the problem and how was he mismanaged?

Other than those goals from Harmes in the first quarter our forward line was rather dysfunctional last week. If it had not been for those late goals from Hannan and Melksham our season would be almost over.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

Oh, Ok, so tackling now takes over from match winning class?

Yeah got it!

Watts has only one person to blame.

2 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Other than those goals from Harmes in the first quarter our forward line was rather dysfunctional last week. If it had not been for those late goals from Hannan and Melksham our season would be almost over.

It wasn't perfect but we still managed to kick 14 goals.

In the three games Watts played in before being dropped we kicked 13, 10, 10.

29 minutes ago, doc roet said:

Unfortunately  for Mr Watts, there ain't room for any silver spoons in the drawer anymore.

Either he lowers his standards and busts a gut like the rest do, or else be shown the door. 

Yep, i'm a bit with these remarks as well. What is flying under the radar this year is TEAM manship, and as we go into the ensuing years, it will become more and more prominent. Goody is i think the personification of this, long term.

Wattsy was great before he got hurt. How quickly things turn on here....

He is a Melbourne player, so get around him. I for one hope he comes back and helps us win a final or two.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Adzman said:

Wattsy was great before he got hurt. How quickly things turn on here....

He is a Melbourne player, so get around him. I for one hope he comes back and helps us win a final or two.

This.

I honestly do not know why there is so much spite involved with his dip in form and demotion.

• Like 6

Gunna be great next year in another team and playing sensational Footy. The haters on this sight will be first to Whinge! Yadda Yadda why didn't we.............. Yeah cant wait!

2 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Gunna be great next year in another team and playing sensational Footy. The haters on this sight will be first to Whinge! Yadda Yadda why didn't we.............. Yeah cant wait!

He is nowhere near as good as you think he is.

13 hours ago, Abe said:

Watts is a class player and I find the suggestions of trading him amusing to be honest. 

We are not going to get anything as good as jack in return. And his best is clearly in our best 10 players 

If Jack was such a class player why wouldn't we get anything as good in return?

It's probably a bit of a mark of the bloke the even now he polarises people. But I do feel people are forgetting his contributions from this year and last year very quickly.

He was EXCELLENT last year as the link up forward, he had his quiet patches but all in all it was a very consistent season. He was also the ice man a few times when we needed someone to seal/win the game.

This year he had his issues in the preseason but for the most part was fine while Gawn was playing, he played his role as second ruck providing a contest, working extremely hard against bigger players and being able to put enough athletic pressure on them to make them accountable. It also clearly wore him out. He played the role out of necessity and did it admirably. He got injured I feel as a result on this heavy workload put on him, but when he came back he was poor. I'm not going to argue that, and to be honest his dropping is good timing.

We've got Pederson who at times this year has played career best footy (last week his career best game), we were able to beat St Kilda without him and now we face the Lions at the G who we should account for. If he plays well enough (I'm not asking for BOG performance, but competitive and hard working) he comes in against the Pies and hopefully will be able to get some match fitness/form if we make the finals. I feel like this could be the best management for him, but I'm not concerned about trade talk with him. For me that time has past.

As for the thoughts of him turning to water in the finals, I believe the same thing was said about Tom Boyd. How did that go last year? 

8 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

My feeling was that we were loosing it in the center and the delivery provided to our forward line was very ordinary rather than it being a specific forward line issue. It certainly didn't help when the umpire pulled our free after free in the third directly at the center bounce, which meant the ball was straight away in their forward line.

3 hours ago, Skuit said:

If Jack was such a class player why wouldn't we get anything as good in return?

Because he's inconsistent. We'd probably get a late first round pick to an early second round if we were lucky, but watts is one of our best match winners 

7 hours ago, picket fence said:

Nine years I have been waiting Picket for this star to really star and become a senior leader of this club who puts in evrey week

I think we have waited long enough

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jackaub said:

Nine years I have been waiting Picket for this star to really star and become a senior leader of this club who puts in evrey week

I think we have waited long enough

There are a handful of players in the whole league the consistently put in every week. 

The other 800 players are mere mortals. Your expectations of watts being superman are unrealistic 

• Like 1