Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Don's delusion!!!

Dees2014

16 minutes ago, Ash35 said:

touche

But still amusing that the same posters go into Essendon hating mad drug cheats frenzy when the Dons are mentioned.

Are Carlton referred to as the 'Salary cap cheating frauds' anymore, or is that too far in the past?

"Carltank" still gets a guernsey on most fan forums, here included. Havent heard the Salary cap one for a while because they have not been a strong team.

You will probably see a big increase in the Drug Cheat label when your team threatens for a flag again. 

Its just something you are going to have to deal with unless you can borrow Dr Whos tardis and warn Hirdy away from the "good gear", because the guilty verdict will never go away. No matter how much the AFL overlords would like it to...........

1 hour ago, Ash35 said:

touche

But still amusing that the same posters go into Essendon hating mad drug cheats frenzy when the Dons are mentioned.

Are Carlton referred to as the 'Salary cap cheating frauds' anymore, or is that too far in the past?

They most certainly are

1 hour ago, Ash35 said:

touche

I think that's just because most supporters on here hate Essendon, the drug cheating is just another reason for the hate.

If I recall correctly Essendon were done for salary cap breaches as well, Melbourne were also done, thanks Cam Schwab.

The AFL try to portray Essendon as everyone's second team, that couldn't be further from the truth.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dante said:

I think that's just because most supporters on here hate Essendon, the drug cheating is just another reason for the hate.

If I recall correctly Essendon were done for salary cap breaches as well, Melbourne were also done, thanks Cam Schwab.

The AFL try to portray Essendon as everyone's second team, that couldn't be further from the truth.

yep, I can't believe Bruce mentioned in commentary on the Friday night St Kilda game that Essendon might be other supporters 2nd team.

Everyone still hates us, and that doesn't bother me at all. 2nd teams are a myth anyway, no one really has a second team unless you have a relative or close friend who plays or played for them.

As I said, I actually find a lot of the reaction on here amusing these days. We as Essendon supporters copped it every week at games from opposition supporters over the last couple of years, so you develop a pretty thick skin. Apart from when the Essendon FC was compared to the Nazis here on Demonland, which I found down right offensive, most of the ribbing is pretty funny to read to be honest.

Getting back to the original topic, obviously Oliver has had a great year and would be favourite for your B&F, but Hibbo would be close wouldn't he? As I said, there wasn't many Essendon supporters that were happy he left (unlike Melksham), I'm really glad both so far have played some decent footy. 

51 minutes ago, Ash35 said:

yep, I can't believe Bruce mentioned in commentary on the Friday night St Kilda game that Essendon might be other supporters 2nd team.

Everyone still hates us, and that doesn't bother me at all. 2nd teams are a myth anyway, no one really has a second team unless you have a relative or close friend who plays or played for them.

As I said, I actually find a lot of the reaction on here amusing these days. We as Essendon supporters copped it every week at games from opposition supporters over the last couple of years, so you develop a pretty thick skin. Apart from when the Essendon FC was compared to the Nazis here on Demonland, which I found down right offensive, most of the ribbing is pretty funny to read to be honest.

Getting back to the original topic, obviously Oliver has had a great year and would be favourite for your B&F, but Hibbo would be close wouldn't he? As I said, there wasn't many Essendon supporters that were happy he left (unlike Melksham), I'm really glad both so far have played some decent footy. 

I don't find anything about Essendrug amusing at all, and until they provide some paperwork and receipts they will be pure filth in my eyes. I went to school with some kids who were born with birth defects, so I have seen some results of what drugs can do when administered wrongly.

Dank & those left at Windy Hill better be praying daily that no player's spouse gives birth to anything but a 100% healthy baby or they are F$%&ed much more than they will ever know

You think the whole episode is funny do you?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dante said:

It was also revealed by Ricky Nixon that Essendon cheated the salary cap during the 2000 season in order to keep both Hird and Lloyd on the list enabling them to win that years GF.

Got away with it that time though.

3 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

It was also revealed by Ricky Nixon that Essendon cheated the salary cap during the 2000 season in order to keep both Hird and Lloyd on the list enabling them to win that years GF.

Got away with it that time though.

Correct. 

Ricky Nixon, a trust worthy pillar of society.

I find none of the saga funny, just some of the reactions on this site.

Don't try and get all high and mighty with me about this, yes I share your concerns for players and their future children. I have also receive abuse myself at the football, for something I had zero to do with. So don't try and paint me out to be blasé about it, the whole saga has been a horrible mess on so many fronts from the start, and it has affected me and my love for football.

As said, apart from the disgraceful and offensive comparison on this site of Essendon FC to the Nazi party, and have found a lot of the responses on here kind of amusing. There has been a mixture of common sense, madness, hyprocrisy, the whole gamut of views and opinions. It amuses me that even now, the mere mention of Essendon sends posters like you into a mad rage.

I know you are looking at any reason to lash out and have a go at anything Essendon, but don't you dare twist this around to make me out to not care or be amused with what happened at Essendon over the last few years.

• Like 2

I would be thinking there are quite a few Ash TWSNBN supporters in Vic especially up Shep way. One of them would have to know what happened to the gear????

6 minutes ago, Ash35 said:

Don't try and get all high and mighty with me about this, yes I share your concerns for players and their future children. I have also receive abuse myself at the football, for something I had zero to do with. So don't try and paint me out to be blasé about it, the whole saga has been a horrible mess on so many fronts from the start, and it has affected me and my love for football.

As said, apart from the disgraceful and offensive comparison on this site of Essendon FC to the Nazi party, and have found a lot of the responses on here kind of amusing. There has been a mixture of common sense, madness, hyprocrisy, the whole gamut of views and opinions. It amuses me that even now, the mere mention of Essendon sends posters like you into a mad rage.

I know you are looking at any reason to lash out and have a go at anything Essendon, but don't you dare twist this around to make me out to not care or be amused with what happened at Essendon over the last few years.

I understand your frustrations, but you really need to know there are a large number of footy fans that find the drug saga, if not that whole club, disgraceful and offensive.

And as for 'zero to do with', I beg to differ. The actions taken by your club should really have driven those with any morals away, in droves. If anything, those wearing EFC colours are showing their gratitude for the efforts of the club. The club still hasn't been punished for the drug program. Bringing us all into disrepute yes, but drug cheating no. In fact, EFC was able to pick up some very handy draft picks out of all this, kind of like a reward.

The above is just my opinion of course, and I appreciate everyone has a different view.

There's a part of me that wants to see Hird handing the Norm Smith medal to Sam Mitchell, just to see his reaction. But it's only a very small part (that's what she said).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FireInTheBelly said:

I understand your frustrations, but you really need to know there are a large number of footy fans that find the drug saga, if not that whole club, disgraceful and offensive.

And as for 'zero to do with', I beg to differ. The actions taken by your club should really have driven those with any morals away, in droves. If anything, those wearing EFC colours are showing their gratitude for the efforts of the club. The club still hasn't been punished for the drug program. Bringing us all into disrepute yes, but drug cheating no. In fact, EFC was able to pick up some very handy draft picks out of all this, kind of like a reward.

The above is just my opinion of course, and I appreciate everyone has a different view.

There's a part of me that wants to see Hird handing the Norm Smith medal to Sam Mitchell, just to see his reaction. But it's only a very small part (that's what she said).

The club is more than just those responsible for this saga.

Why shouldn't I support players like Daniher, Zach Merrett, Fantasia and McD-Tip, players who weren't even at the club in 2012.

People in charge of the club in 2012 made awful decisions, individuals, you really want me to walk away from a club I have passionately supported for nearly 40 years of my life because individuals made shocking decisions.

The names don't matter, in fact I didn't want Hird to return to coach us after his 1 year suspension.

I will support my club so it can get better. If you think me being a member means I'm condoning what happened, not the case. The club is under new management, trying to move forward and improve.

The club has probably just gone through it's lowest point ever, so while I hated what has happened, and in no way support what happened, I'm proud that have contributed to getting the Essendon FC back on its feet. The people in charge of the club now had nothing to do with the 2012 program, so why shouldn't I support them.

As for the players involved, everyone has their view. Whether you see them as blatant drug cheats who knew exactly what they were taking and were happy to break the rules knowing that it was illegal, or a bunch of young men who were told one thing and given another, they have done their time and I think they should be allowed to play football with my support as they are representing the Essendon FC.

Hibbard and Melksham deserve the same from the Melbourne supporters.   

• Like 6

This is a good post ash.

I think what we would like to see from those involved is a bit of admittance that they actually did do something wrong - and the same from those one eyed fans who still think they were all innocent and it was an afl/asada/wada conspiracy... and thats what irks, is that we havent had any of that apart from the odd rational bomber like yourself.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ash35 said:

Why shouldn't I support players like Daniher, Zach Merrett, Fantasia and McD-Tip, players who weren't even at the club in 2012.

People in charge of the club in 2012 made awful decisions, individuals, you really want me to walk away from a club I have passionately supported for nearly 40 years of my life because individuals made shocking decisions.

The names don't matter, in fact I didn't want Hird to return to coach us after his 1 year suspension.

I will support my club so it can get better. If you think me being a member means I'm condoning what happened, not the case. The club is under new management, trying to move forward and improve.

The club has probably just gone through it's lowest point ever, so while I hated what has happened, and in no way support what happened, I'm proud that have contributed to getting the Essendon FC back on its feet. The people in charge of the club now had nothing to do with the 2012 program, so why shouldn't I support them.

As for the players involved, everyone has their view. Whether you see them as blatant drug cheats who knew exactly what they were taking and were happy to break the rules knowing that it was illegal, or a bunch of young men who were told one thing and given another, they have done their time and I think they should be allowed to play football with my support as they are representing the Essendon FC.

Nice storey Ash but I think you are talking to the wrong crowd, as Biggestred said, there has never been any acceptance of responsibility from those concerned at the club. Instead what did we get, denial, cover up and shifting of blame. 

The Club were responsible for what happened, period. full stop and the dust hasn't even settled yet but you expect everyone to just move on and forget it. 

I think before this happened, most on here hated Essendon, all this has done is increase that hatred.

Not sure what you're trying to achieve here, you're not going to convince anyone. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, biggestred said:

This is a good post ash.

I think what we would like to see from those involved is a bit of admittance that they actually did do something wrong - and the same from those one eyed fans who still think they were all innocent and it was an afl/asada/wada conspiracy... and thats what irks, is that we havent had any of that apart from the odd rational bomber like yourself.

Unfortunately we probably won't get what both you and I want.

I want to know exactly what was given to the players. I want to know why the club let a rogue like Stephen Dank in.

But I doubt we will ever know. And I can't see those involved ever coming out and admitting anything. Jesus, I still don't even know if Bomber Thompson has paid his fine to the AFL yet.

And as for the supporters, you tend to only hear from the ones screaming Hirds and Essendons innocence from the roof tops. The passionate "We Stand By Hird" lot make the most noise. But I know of many many Essendon fans that are bitterly disappointed with what the club did, and wanted Hird removed as coach.

I'll always love him as a player, and some of the recent event have bordered on tragic, but he has done his time. There were plenty of others that are just as much to blame, so I won't ever point the finger just at James Hird.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dante said:

Nice storey Ash but I think you are talking to the wrong crowd, as Biggestred said, there has never been any acceptance of responsibility from those concerned at the club. Instead what did we get, denial, cover up and shifting of blame. 

The Club were responsible for what happened, period. full stop and the dust hasn't even settled yet but you expect everyone to just move on and forget it. 

I think before this happened, most on here hated Essendon, all this has done is increase that hatred.

Not sure what you're trying to achieve here, you're not going to convince anyone. 

Not trying to convince or convert any opinions here. Just responding to posts as they pop up.

I get accused of finding the drug saga amusing by someone who obviously can't read or comprehend, and to be honest, whose opinion and views are so irrelevant to me, I don't why I bother even responding. But I did, and things have just gone from there.

The absolute last word I would use to describe the Supplements saga is amusing.

I was then told that I should have just walked away from supporting my club, so again I just responded.

I'm seriously not here to try convince anyone of anything, I'd have more chance of teaching a monkey to play violin, I actually would have loved to just talk about Hibbo and Melkshams form. I sort of disagreed with the original post about Watson having sour grapes about Piggys form, whereas I actually think Watson was praising Hibbards performances, and it's taken off from there.

Happy to no longer talk any Supplements/Drugs saga going forward. 

1 hour ago, Ash35 said:

Exactly how we should all feel about our clubs.  Good post Ash.

7 minutes ago, Ash35 said:

Not trying to convince or convert any opinions here. Just responding to posts as they pop up.

I get accused of finding the drug saga amusing by someone who obviously can't read or comprehend, and to be honest, whose opinion and views are so irrelevant to me, I don't why I bother even responding. But I did, and things have just gone from there.

The absolute last word I would use to describe the Supplements saga is amusing.

I was then told that I should have just walked away from supporting my club, so again I just responded.

I'm seriously not here to try convince anyone of anything, I'd have more chance of teaching a monkey to play violin, I actually would have loved to just talk about Hibbo and Melkshams form. I sort of disagreed with the original post about Watson having sour grapes about Piggys form, whereas I actually think Watson was praising Hibbards performances, and it's taken off from there.

Happy to no longer talk any Supplements/Drugs saga going forward. 

Me too Ash.

Interesting comment before about goody giving Melksham specific roles. i seem to recall when he came to the club him saying Roosy was going to give him specific roles and i assume this was down to the fact that goody knew what worked with him.

Did he ever play the defensive forward role at essendon? Its a great role for him because he has good defensive instincts and as you say is a great kick. i agree his errors are often about his decisions and the decisions are much simpler up forward - kick for goals or to a leading teammate. And errors are not as costly.

A great kick to seal the game on Sat and i loved how he took on himself to kick it. He never even looked like giving it off. Six golas in the last two weeks. Top stuff for a defensive forward.

27 minutes ago, Ash35 said:

I want to know exactly what was given to the players. I want to know why the club let a rogue like Stephen Dank in.

Cause Thompson told Hird his players weren't big enough and he knew a couple blokes that he'd worked with at Geelong who could fix that .... Quickly.

That's why.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, binman said:

Me too Ash.

Interesting comment before about goody giving Melksham specific roles. i seem to recall when he came to the club him saying Roosy was going to give him specific roles and i assume this was down to the fact that goody knew what worked with him.

Did he ever play the defensive forward role at essendon? Its a great role for him because he has good defensive instincts and as you say is a great kick. i agree his errors are often about his decisions and the decisions are much simpler up forward - kick for goals or to a leading teammate. And errors are not as costly.

A great kick to seal the game on Sat and i loved how he took on himself to kick it. He never even looked like giving it off. Six golas in the last two weeks. Top stuff for a defensive forward.

I had my Melbourne loving daughters with me on the weekend. Melb vs Port and Ess vs NM was on simultaneously, so there was quite the battle as to which game we were watching and when. I saw about 50/50 of both games.

We happened to be on the Melb/Port game as it was getting close when Melksham kicked the sealer. I said to my 11 year old as he was lining up, "Melksho will kick this". She is quite switched on for a 11 year old, but wasn't as confident. After it sailed through and the celebratory dance had finished, she asked me why I was so confident he would kick it.   

Said that I was at a Friday night game in 2013 against Carlton, we had come from about 5 goals down to pinch a win, and it was Melksham who had kicked the goal to put us in front. It was a set shot late in the game from about 50m on a bit of an angle. Very similar to Saturdays but at the other end of the MCG. As you said, didn't look to pass it off, just went back and kicked the goal. I said to her I just had a feeling he would do it again

He is a good kick. Turn overs are a problem cos he often tries to bite off a bit more than he should with his kicking.

Was drafted as a midfielder, but I don't think he got enough of the ball as a mid, so was eventually tried at half forward, but struggled to find consistency, would be in and out of the team. Too good for VFL, but didn't have much of an impact at AFL level.

Goodwin has found what looks to be the perfect position for him as the defensive forward. He does it better than Bugg in my opinion. Goodwin wanted Melksham for a reason, and now we know why.

To be honest, he probably needed a fresh start, not just because of the thing I am no longer going to talk about, but as I said, was struggling to find consistency, which can happen. So while I was a fan, I wasn't too disappointed to see him go, unlike Hibbard, who was in our best 12 players before the 12 month suspension.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Ash35 said:

You said in your above post that you find parts of this saga amusing. 

I will say what ever i want to you in here mate, you are treading on enemy lines. 

Many times when you were in nappies i went out to Windy Hill, it was life threatening sometimes. 

I have hated your mob long before 2000

"Whatever it takes"

produce the paperwork, or it won't be forgotten...

2 hours ago, Ash35 said:

Unfortunately we probably won't get what both you and I want.

But I doubt we will ever know. And I can't see those involved ever coming out and admitting anything. Jesus, I still don't even know if Bomber Thompson has paid his fine to the AFL yet.

And as for the supporters, you tend to only hear from the ones screaming Hirds and Essendons innocence from the roof tops. The passionate "We Stand By Hird" lot make the most noise. But I know of many many Essendon fans that are bitterly disappointed with what the club did, and wanted Hird removed as coach.

I'll always love him as a player, and some of the recent event have bordered on tragic, but he has done his time. There were plenty of others that are just as much to blame, so I won't ever point the finger just at James Hird.

But that's just it. Essendon haven't done their time, they were hit with a wet blanket. They were warned 36 hours in advance and evidence has never been produced. 

1 Birth defect is all it will take, and Medical insurance will rip the place apart. 

Dank has all the records and the club know it, that's why there is silence on both sides. It's disgusting

Doc Reid is still around...

2 hours ago, Ash35 said:

I have no issue with you supporting the players Ash, and never said otherwise. Regardless of whether they knew what was happening or not, were duped or not, they were found guilty and did their time. The club that organised and paid for the entire program did none. You say that was the old management, tell me Ash, has this new regime ever once admitted guilt? Never mind, I know the answer.

I honestly don't believe the club should have been allowed to retain any of the convicted cheats, as it was the club's doing, and for all we know they are still reaping the rewards. I'd love to see their books Ash, with all the money the players have been paid in compensation, it really is a rort. Essentially, it's cheating to cover up cheating. Your club should be no more for mine.

For the record, if it was my club that had done this, it would have been extremely tough to do, but I would have walked away. Further to that, the way it was all covered up by the league, I would have walked away from the sport altogether. Perhaps not permanently, who knows, but I couldn't justify sticking with them.

2 minutes ago, FireInTheBelly said:

I have no issue with you supporting the players Ash, and never said otherwise. Regardless of whether they knew what was happening or not, were duped or not, they were found guilty and did their time. The club that organised and paid for the entire program did none. You say that was the old management, tell me Ash, has this new regime ever once admitted guilt? Never mind, I know the answer.

I honestly don't believe the club should have been allowed to retain any of the convicted cheats, as it was the club's doing, and for all we know they are still reaping the rewards. I'd love to see their books Ash, with all the money the players have been paid in compensation, it really is a rort. Essentially, it's cheating to cover up cheating. Your club should be no more for mine.

For the record, if it was my club that had done this, it would have been extremely tough to do, but I would have walked away. Further to that, the way it was all covered up by the league, I would have walked away from the sport altogether. Perhaps not permanently, who knows, but I couldn't justify sticking with them.

Agreed. I would have walked if Dank had become involved fully. He almost did. 

Like i said, i have seen horrendous birth defects from drug ingestion. The AFL is walking on egg shells and i don't think they know or care. 

The compensation paid out to Essendrug families must be enormous for all of them to sit tight and say nothing. 

The figures will come out in about 20 years, they all hope

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ash35 said:

I had my Melbourne loving daughters with me on the weekend. Melb vs Port and Ess vs NM was on simultaneously, so there was quite the battle as to which game we were watching and when. I saw about 50/50 of both games.

We happened to be on the Melb/Port game as it was getting close when Melksham kicked the sealer. I said to my 11 year old as he was lining up, "Melksho will kick this". She is quite switched on for a 11 year old, but wasn't as confident. After it sailed through and the celebratory dance had finished, she asked me why I was so confident he would kick it.   

Said that I was at a Friday night game in 2013 against Carlton, we had come from about 5 goals down to pinch a win, and it was Melksham who had kicked the goal to put us in front. It was a set shot late in the game from about 50m on a bit of an angle. Very similar to Saturdays but at the other end of the MCG. As you said, didn't look to pass it off, just went back and kicked the goal. I said to her I just had a feeling he would do it again

He is a good kick. Turn overs are a problem cos he often tries to bite off a bit more than he should with his kicking.

Was drafted as a midfielder, but I don't think he got enough of the ball as a mid, so was eventually tried at half forward, but struggled to find consistency, would be in and out of the team. Too good for VFL, but didn't have much of an impact at AFL level.

Goodwin has found what looks to be the perfect position for him as the defensive forward. He does it better than Bugg in my opinion. Goodwin wanted Melksham for a reason, and now we know why.

To be honest, he probably needed a fresh start, not just because of the thing I am no longer going to talk about, but as I said, was struggling to find consistency, which can happen. So while I was a fan, I wasn't too disappointed to see him go, unlike Hibbard, who was in our best 12 players before the 12 month suspension.

Thanks Ash. Hibberd has been the best recruit we have had for years, right up there with one of my favorites, also a defender, at least when he played for us, Steven Icke.

On tagging him, sure they could but i reckon he would be harder to tag than a mid as he running hard. perhaps stop his run a bit but the way we run in waves means that they would lose a player essentially and he can give off tho Frost or Hunt to run it out. 

• Like 1