Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Where was everyone?

Demonland

I dont think anyone should be questioning Dees supporters on their attendance. Everyone has the right to decide when they go and when they stay home. It is our time and money after all. 

Having said that, i was there with my daughter and it was EPIC. 2 and a 1/4 hrs in the car each way from Shepparton in traffic that does my head in.

Still though, hoping i can get to more in future. Especially as we are now a good side who wins games regularly and ALWAYS has a crack.

• Like 3

10+% bigger than our previous best home crowd against Port in a year where we sit 9th on the home attendance figures.  

That includes the sold games with the lowest drawing game of the year (by almost 3000) at a Traeger Park against Gold Coast (5,072) and the 16th lowest crowd against Adelaide at Marrara Oval (12,104).  Take out those game completely and we rise to 5th on the home attendance ladder.  Substitute our average MGC home attendances against those clubs for a position somewhere in between 9th and 5th (don't have those figures at hand).

Pretty damn good for a team that: finished 14th in the 2016 membership figures, hasn't finished in the 8 for 11 years, hasn't locked them in this year, has lost to teams currently sitting 17th, 14th, 12th, and has a losing balance against the current top 8 teams.

Hard to see a universe in which that attendance should be described as pathetic.

Edit: Collingwood, the other team to play Port at the MCG this year, got a crowd of 35,933 from their 75,000 members.  The MCG estimate of 33k for our game was ridiculous (35% greater than our previous best)

Edited by Trisul
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

I was at home in Perth.

WHERE WERE ALL OF YOU AT SUBIACO 3 WEEKS AGO WHEN TOMMY MAC KICKED THE GOAL OF THE SEASON AND I ALMOST GOT KILLED BY 30,000 ANGRY, SUNBURNT BOGANS?

I SWEAR SOMEONE TRIED TO THROW A JETSKI AT ME!

Pathetic.

Block 341, E12.

Apologies for being the main antagonist.

I had gastro in the 2 days leading up.

Listened at home on SEN radio and about 5 minutes in I heard the crowd erupt. Kevin Bartlett said "the Melbourne crowd is excitable today" I had a sneaking suspicion Trengove just ran on to the ground...

@ demonland make an impassioned call-to-arms and everyone gets all backs-up defensive in an obvious doth-protest-too-much guilty conscience manner. It's okay. It's not about you. Where was everyone? is a good question.

Build-up couldn't have been better. Massive ins, including Trenners. Watts' 150. Positive press re. the RAP launch and debuting out indig strip on the MCG. And, a super-important match on our march to the finals against a fellow top-four contender who plays a similar, attractive brand of footy. Signs were there for an entertaining contest.

Comparing previous crowds is redundant in the same way as it is citing losses following our Darwin fixture. We've been shite. The figure may have been good relatively-speaking, but it's fair to ask why it wasn't better (as the MFC had itself expected). My guess, a lot of fans lost their nerve and were expecting a loss - compounding other issues such as the weather etc.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Comparing previous crowds is redundant in the same way as it is citing losses following our Darwin fixture. We've been shite. The figure may have been good relatively-speaking, but it's fair to ask why it wasn't better (as the MFC had itself expected). My guess, a lot of fans lost their nerve and were expecting a loss - compounding other issues such as the weather etc.

Melbourne 18.12 (120) Port Adelaide 12.10 (82) MCG  24,283   2006.
Edited by Trisul
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Trisul said:
Melbourne 18.12 (120) Port Adelaide 12.10 (82) MCG  24,283   2006.

Round 13 - and where were Port on the ladder? What has been the percentage of increase in AFL attendance numbers since 2006?

Please understand, this is not a complaint. I will reframe the question though: why did the MFC get its projections wrong for attendance figure?

Edited by Skuit

6 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

Your JetSki is in my garage when you're ready to pick it up.

Just post it on Gumtree or Perth beer economy FB group before it gets stolen.

• Like 1

I went and I'm glad I did, although I wasn't too happy walking to the ground, it was as cold as I've ever been going to a game in Melbourne. Actually, once you got in to the ground, out of the wind,it wasn't as cold.

It was a smallish crowd, but I guess we lost the previous week and momentum gets lost when that happens and apart from the Ponsford stand, there were very few Port supporters. No excuses needed, you pay your membership and go, or not go, your choice. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Round 13 - and where were Port on the ladder? What has been the percentage of increase in AFL attendance numbers since 2006?

Please understand, this is not a complaint. I will reframe the question though: why did the MFC get its projections wrong for attendance figure?

I thought it was the MCG that provides the estimate for attendance, not the club.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demon77 said:

I thought it was the MCG that provides the estimate for attendance, not the club.

Fair enough. Thought I'd heard people saying they got it from the MFC, but it may have been initially generated by the MCG.

6 minutes ago, Demon77 said:

I believe that is correct. I think they underestimated the Melbourne v. Richmond game. It's not an exact science. I guess they didn't factor in the BBBBRRRRRRR factor this week.

3 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Fair enough. Thought I'd heard people saying they got it from the MFC, but it may have been initially generated by the MCG.

Maybe the club has an estimate also. I usually look on the MCG site where it lists upcoming games with the estimation.

On a side note, the site predicts 53,000 for the Hawks v Swans and 36,000 for Pies v Crows.

20 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Yeah hes right Skuit, that crowd estimate number is always from the MCG (not MFC) website, and this weeks lucky number was 33k.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ding said:

Yeah hes right Skuit, that crowd estimate number is always from the MCG (not MFC) website, and this weeks lucky number was 33k.

All good. Still, the MCG, which has a bit of experience in these matters, also got it wrong. Wonder what their record is like? Can you access previous estimates on the site?

1 minute ago, Skuit said:

All good. Still, the MCG, which has a bit of experience in these matters, also got it wrong. Wonder what their record is like? Can you access previous estimates on the site?

Nah, only the forward estimates. From the times i have checked beforehand, they arent too far off the mark ..+/- 10% maybe. Be interesting to keep tabs on it and see over the season how close they get.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Highest crowd ever to a Melbourne vs Port game in Victoria.

What more did you want?

At least another 5,000 please. First half was our most solid showing this year save our job on the Crows maybe - deserved better than backdrop of spartan 'outer wing'.

Other thing I noticed, after all around me agreed how massive the win was for the club, was how so few fans remained to cheer the boys off the ground. It was a tad eerie even.

People we have arrived - & they even sell beer there FCS!?!

4 minutes ago, Monocology said:

At least another 5,000 please. First half was our most solid showing this year save our job on the Crows maybe - deserved better than backdrop of spartan 'outer wing'.

Other thing I noticed, after all around me agreed how massive the win was for the club, was how so few fans remained to cheer the boys off the ground. It was a tad eerie even.

People we have arrived - & they even sell beer there FCS!?!

Geez Mono, did it actually look like that? i was in the MCC reserve and i commented to my girl after the match that it was great to see so FEW MFC supporters leaving while the boys were still on the ground. I sang the song 6 times while waiting for them to go down the race.

I actually thought our supporters stuck around. interesting how others can see it so differently. Maybe i was so pumped with the win i didnt look properly.

• Like 2

The earlier Saturday arvo games wipe out anyone who plays weekend sport, be it themselves or children. It's prime shopping time, so plenty of people are at work. It's also poor for the theatre goers - too early to go out in the city afterwards for dinner; whereas the 3:20 or 4:40 games are better for this.

There's a good reason the AFL have stopped scheduling games at this time - no one watches on TV and even fewer turn up to the games.

For myself, I had a gin making course at Bass & Flinders in Red Hill that finished at 1:30. It made for a nice celebratory drink. I would've been there otherwise.

Clearly Saturday lunchtime/early arvo is a popular time for a lot of things. That it is fast approaching weekday peaks on the roads is testament. Be thankful that 25k die hards, who literally have nothing else to compete for their time, did turn up. More than any other time we have played Port at the G.

• Like 1