Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Bernie Vince on report

McQueen

If really couldn't give a rat's fart about ANYTHING either Jones , Goody or any this-weeks club spokesman utters .

Why...its all pc nicey nicey. Its sanitised clap trap in all honesty.

As far as footy goes, its the footy that does the talking.

The min they trot out anyone....i hit the BT button .

It's like pollies... there's talk, there's action.

No team won a Premiership at its presser.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, poita said:

Yes, the MRP is inconsistent, but so what? If our players stop hitting blokes in the head, they will have nothing to worry about.

The only reason people have their panties in a bunch is because morons like Vince & Bugg can't control themselves and instead keep throwing elbows and fists around when there is no need to do so.

Bernie should take the two weeks, and spend the time working out how how he can get these acts out of his game.

Personally I couldn't care less about Vince whose form has been dismal with poor decisions and Bugg isn't as good as he thinks he is. All I was saying is the MRP are corrupt. Our side is better without those two in it IMO

We should appeal based on the Schofield precedent, but we won't. Bernie is a tagger, its his job to niggle players, that's what taggers do. Nobody complained when he completely negated Sloane in the first game. Free Bernie...

Edited by Wadda We Sing

12 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

If really couldn't give a rat's fart about ANYTHING either Jones , Goody or any this-weeks club spokesman utters .

Why...its all pc nicey nicey. Its sanitised clap trap in all honesty.

As far as footy goes, its the footy that does the talking.

The min they trot out anyone....i hit the BT button .

It's like pollies... there's talk, there's action.

No team won a Premiership at its presser.

bb, not everything a club rep says is bs or spin.  I doubt Jones is giving him a serve on radio then behind the scenes saying: '...yeah, go Bernie, knock his block off...'

I would be disappointed if the club and our leaders didn't read him the riot act, publicly and behind the scenes. 

Bernie knows how short we are of fit players.  He rolled the dice, he lost.  He has a rest and the team suffers.

LH , I appreciate what youre saying, truly.  I Just have little faith whenever a club feels the need to continually roll out this carp!!

This is the same club for mine ( though I love it dearly as a footy club ) that seems incapable of even querying the mrp  in any veiled manner but is eager to carve up its own.

I'd rather the club just shut  up.

Edited by beelzebub

As Wayne Carey said last night, Martin got off with a slap on the wrist because he's in Brownlow contention.  Bernie clearly is not.  We can debate all we like whether Bernie was a dill or not, but there are clearly different rules, for different players, at different times.

Schofield got off, due to his good fortune on the night that the Tribunal handed down a manifestly inadequate penalty to Houli.  Schofield could not have been suspended on the night, given Houli got only 2 weeks in the first instance, for what he did.  Then the spotlight turns on Clarry for supposedly staging.  

The system is broke and needs fixing.

• Like 10

Pretty sure the MRP came out a few weeks ago and said theyqqq assess what can be taken in the charged players favour ie benefit of the doubt. Trouble is they are much more likely to get it if you are a 'name' player.

6 hours ago, poita said:

Yes, the MRP is inconsistent, but so what? If our players stop hitting blokes in the head, they will have nothing to worry about.

Gee thanks for that. 

The hypocrisy of the MR knows no bounds. From Dusty to Cotchin to Zak Jones elbowing Hannan and not even cited. They are the things that rile Demonland (and no doubt other supporters)  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, iv'a worn smith said:

As Wayne Carey said last night, Martin got off with a slap on the wrist because he's in Brownlow contention.  Bernie clearly is not.  We can debate all we like whether Bernie was a dill or not, but there are clearly different rules, for different players, at different times.

Schofield got off, due to his good fortune on the night that the Tribunal handed down a manifestly inadequate penalty to Houli.  Schofield could not have been suspended on the night, given Houli got only 2 weeks in the first instance, for what he did.  Then the spotlight turns on Clarry for supposedly staging.  

The system is broke and needs fixing.

Nice post.

10 hours ago, Stingray said:

Interesting from Gary Lyon saying Goodwin would be so filthy with Vince for being undisciplined that even if he doesn't get rubbed out his spot could be in jeopardy. 

Is that the same Garry Lyon who helped impose Neeld (?and Bailey) on us as part of the coaching selection panel?  No thanks Garry.  Loved you as a player but now irrelevant.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

As long as Vince learns his lesson...in future, go the eye gouge. 

Or the elbow to the back of the head, or to the face, when your opponent is lying on the ground. One major proviso though, remembering the Salem incident this year, don't wear a MFC jumper while doing it. 

• Like 7

So I compiled a list of MRP/tribunal sanctions* (excluding melee, wrestling, and umpire contact) going back ten years - with 2000 and 1987 thrown in as a bonus. No commentary or conclusions, just a resource - although one point of note; Nat Jones has forked out an absolute fortune in fines.

*courtesy of Supermercado's excellent demonwiki.org

2016:

Viney, Jetta, Vince (striking) – 1 match.

Oliver, Bugg, Pedo, Vince (various)  – fines

Vince (striking) – not guilty

2015:

Dunn – fine

2014:

Dawes, Dawes, Mckenzie (striking), Jetta (rough conduct) – 1 match

Georgiou (striking) – reprimand

Viney (rough conduct) not guilty (eventually)

2013:

Sylvia, Spencer (high contact), Clisby (rough conduct) – 3 matches

Jetta (rough conduct) – 2 matches

Dawes, Sylvia (striking) – reprimand

Tapscott (rough conduct) – not guilty

2012:

Grimes, Jetta (rough conduct), Tapscott (striking) – 1 match

Garland, Bail (rough conduct), Howe (misconduct?), Dunn (staging) – reprimands

2011:

Trengove (rough conduct) – 3 matches

Dunn (rough conduct), Sylvia (striking) – 2 matches

Davey (striking) – 1 match

Moloney, Tapscott (rough conduct) – reprimand

Davey, Petterd (striking) – not guilty

2010:

Cheney, J. McDonald (striking), Moloney (front-on contact) – reprimands

2009:

Sylvia (striking) – 3 matches

Bartram, Johnson (striking) – not guilty/withdrawn

2008:

Miller (rough conduct), Whelan (striking) – 1 match

Sylvia, Dunn (striking) – reprimand

Dunn (striking) – withdrawn

2007:

Davey (striking) – 2 matches

Syvia, Davey, Yze, Newton, Holland (various) – reprimand

Godfrey, Syvia (head contact) – withdrawn

2000:

No sanctions during the regular season

1987:

Grinter (striking) – 3 matches

Grinter, Grinter, O’Dwyer, O’Dwyer, O’Dwyer, Yeates, Turner (striking) – 2 matches

Chiron (striking) – 1 match

Grinter, Spalding, Wilson, Healy, Chiron (striking) Williams, Wilson (rough) – not guilty

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

We should appeal based on the Schofield precedent, but we won't. Bernie is a tagger, its his job to niggle players, that's what taggers do. Nobody complained when he completely negated Sloane in the first game. Free Bernie...

I agree.

Sure, it was a silly, undisclipled act, but there was literally nothing in it. 3 weeks!

I feel like I'm in Hillsong community reading some of the comments here. It's bloody footy and no one was hurt, not even remotely.

For years ALL of us have been bemoaning the choir boy types the MFC has selected, and now we have some heart on sleeve, head over the ball types, and people are bagging them out: Lewis, Vince, Bugg, Hogan Oliver. I wouldn't trade any of them, or their hard nosed mentality.

And fwiw, we're consistently getting the most extreme case penalties in respect of each 'undisciplined' act, where every other club seems to be receiving super soft sanctions. At some stage, rather than apologise and acknowledge another 'regrettable' incident, I think we should make a statement and tell the MRP and the competition to get knicked.

Plainly, we are not a team full of snipers and IMO we're allowing ourselves to be characterised as such.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I agree.

Sure, it was a silly, undisclipled act, but there was literally nothing in it. 3 weeks!

I feel like I'm in Hillsong community reading some of the comments here. It's bloody footy and no one was hurt, not even remotely.

For years ALL of us have been bemoaning the choir boy types the MFC has selected, and now we have some heart on sleeve, head over the ball types, and people are bagging them out: Lewis, Vince, Bugg, Hogan Oliver. I wouldn't trade any of them, or their hard nosed mentality.

And fwiw, we're consistently getting the most extreme case penalties in respect of each 'undisciplined' act, where every other club seems to be receiving super soft sanctions. At some stage, rather than apologise and acknowledge another 'regrettable' incident, I think we should make a statement and tell the MRP and the competition to get knicked.

Plainly, we are not a team full of snipers and IMO we're allowing ourselves to be characterised as such.

You're missing stuff here.

I love the unsociable Demons and couldn't give a toss if we get the odd suspension.

Bernie lifting his elbow and hitting someone with the point of it isn't being unsociable, it's being stupid and undisciplined.  I didn't care about his bump and was surprised he was even fined, but I have no issue with him being suspended for stupidity with the elbow.

But all the "woe is me" commentary and talk that the MRP are singling Melbourne out make me laugh.  The MRP are borderline incompetent, and yes, they quiver when they have to adjudicate on a Brownlow favourite and will always take the soft option, but conspiracy theories re individual clubs are pathetic. 

Seemingly, normally intelligent people become adel-pates when footy becomes involved.

• Like 2

ProdDee, I think most of us agree with you about this.  I don't see a conspiracy theory against the MFC as such when MFC players are treated differently than those from other clubs.  I expect if we had Brownlow medal contenders and had won 5 recent flags and a large membership and viewing base  we'd get the 'good' treatment from the AFL too.   

The conspiracy is not against the MFC, it is a conspiracy in favour of money at the expense of justice.  That doesn't make us addle-pated, it makes us angry.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I agree.

Spot on Ron. Its not a conspiracy theory..... it actually happens on a regular basis. I much prefer our hard at it attitude. Its footy. With this attitude is going to come the odd mistake, the odd misplaced bump or tackle, the odd fend off with a forearm. You only have to miss the intended target by a few inches and its weeks. Thats fine. What the problem is is the absolutely blatant inconsistency. The club not saying hey wait a minute....can you at least clarify, is sending a message to the competion that they also thought it was wrong. This is only confusing the whole issue.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Skuit said:

So I compiled a list of MRP/tribunal sanctions* (excluding melee, wrestling, and umpire contact) going back ten years - with 2000 and 1987 thrown in as a bonus. No commentary or conclusions, just a resource - although one point of note; Nat Jones has forked out an absolute fortune in fines.

*courtesy of Supermercado's excellent demonwiki.org

2016:

Viney, Jetta, Vince (striking) – 1 match.

Oliver, Bugg, Pedo, Vince (various)  – fines

Vince (striking) – not guilty

2015:

Dunn – fine

2014:

Dawes, Dawes, Mckenzie (striking), Jetta (rough conduct) – 1 match

Georgiou (striking) – reprimand

Viney (rough conduct) not guilty (eventually)

2013:

Sylvia, Spencer (high contact), Clisby (rough conduct) – 3 matches

Jetta (rough conduct) – 2 matches

Dawes, Sylvia (striking) – reprimand

Tapscott (rough conduct) – not guilty

2012:

Grimes, Jetta (rough conduct), Tapscott (striking) – 1 match

Garland, Bail (rough conduct), Howe (misconduct?), Dunn (staging) – reprimands

2011:

Trengove (rough conduct) – 3 matches

Dunn (rough conduct), Sylvia (striking) – 2 matches

Davey (striking) – 1 match

Moloney, Tapscott (rough conduct) – reprimand

Davey, Petterd (striking) – not guilty

2010:

Cheney, J. McDonald (striking), Moloney (front-on contact) – reprimands

2009:

Sylvia (striking) – 3 matches

Bartram, Johnson (striking) – not guilty/withdrawn

2008:

Miller (rough conduct), Whelan (striking) – 1 match

Sylvia, Dunn (striking) – reprimand

Dunn (striking) – withdrawn

2007:

Davey (striking) – 2 matches

Syvia, Davey, Yze, Newton, Holland (various) – reprimand

Godfrey, Syvia (head contact) – withdrawn

2000:

No sanctions during the regular season

1987:

Grinter (striking) – 3 matches

Grinter, Grinter, O’Dwyer, O’Dwyer, O’Dwyer, Yeates, Turner (striking) – 2 matches

Chiron (striking) – 1 match

Grinter, Spalding, Wilson, Healy, Chiron (striking) Williams, Wilson (rough) – not guilty

Interesting. In 1987 when the team was on fire, finals bound and had a few tough nuts, there was a total of 18 weeks and a further 7 citations. Guess it does go with the territory a bit, meaning when your hard at it, it doesnt always go to plan. At least they were consistent back then.

Edited by Wadda We Sing

There is definitely one application of rules for some and another for others. It's ridiculously obvious.

We're not in the 'protected' group.

• Like 4